Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

Thank you, this atleast clarifies what the role of the Actions thing was.

I didn't ask about whether optimization was simple or not. You said a room disabling script is simple to do. How to make one and how do I use it with the rooms in the room system specifically?

Also thank you for the empathy about being frustrated with a complicated system. I do feel this strongly and I'm trying my best to chart out the clarity and limits that I should abide by when making my project, so that I know what I'm doing. Anything that goes beyond that is not something I can not afford at this moment.

2. reuno

reuno

@Reactorcore > You don't need a script, you can just drag a subpart of your room (the part you want to activate/disable) into the actions in my screenshot above, and enable/disable on entry/exit from there.

3. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

It just doesn't make sense to me.

You truly believe the way Castlevania or Metroid worked with their own respective room systems was because they thought it just looked cool and were not simply using that system because there was no other way for them to achieve a persistent open world gameplay that had minimal stops in momentum?

As it stands, the room system in corgi engine simply artificially pauses the game and switches cameras for no real benefit what so ever. Might as well change the whole scene than fiddle with it, since atleast that way the rest of the map gets unloaded and you get a new camera anyway.

Labeling it as a metroid/castlevania room system gave me the impression you added a real solution for a single-scene persistent open world map, because that was the entire point of those things in their original games.

Individually?

What about if my room has 80 objects in it? Would it work if they all were simply grouped under a parent gameobject and I only disable that one?

4. reuno

reuno

@Reactorcore > I'm gonna say this one last time : Castlevania and Metroid don't work like you think they do. I'm all for positive criticism, but being schooled on optimization and having my system criticized by someone who doesn't know how to code and has no idea how the systems he's referring to actually work, it's a bit too much, especially with that attitude. And once again, I (and others) have shown you how the system you seem to think is so bad lets you do exactly what you want (even if, as explained before, you're completely misguided as to the consequences of what you're after). And sure, you can group all your 80 objects under a parent, why not.

Yes, creating a game without coding is hard. It's super hard. I believe it's impossible. I understand it is very frustrating. But you made that choice, not me, not others. Please don't blame us for that choice of yours.

Personally, I'm done here. If you have more questions, as others have asked you before, please use the support form, thanks.

5. Takiden

Takiden

Hello Reuno and/or others willing to help. First of all, thanks for this sweet engine as it has saved me a ton of time.

I am an intermediate coder, so i struggle with your work a little. In your tutorial about switching characters you mention you can activate it when picking an item and that's almost exactly what i need. My player character can summon sort of minions and i want him to be able to absorb those minions and change the current player to a different one with a different look and abilities. So basically each minion should switch the character to a different character. I figured i can make those minions have an pickable item script, so i can pick them up and trigger a character switching.
    I have tried around for 3 days now and i can't find a solution. I can't even make it that you pick an item by the press of a button instead of the default of walking over it.
    So, if someone is willing to help me out, i would really appreciate it.

6. reuno

reuno

@Takiden > I guess I wouldn't try repurposing classes that have little in common with the goal in this case.
    It might be faster (and easier) to create dedicated classes for this specific task.
    And I'd recommend breaking the problem into manageable chunks to make it less daunting. I suppose you could try creating a class you put on your minions, that detects input and only "activates" when at a certain distance of the character. That's two ifs and one line to "activate". Maybe start with that and go from there. If you have questions directly related to the engine, don't hesitate to use the support form and I'll be happy to help. This seems to be more standard Unity for now.

7. Quinn221

Quinn221

reuno likes this.
  8. andrin2020

andrin2020

Oh man! I just spent the last two hours building this same functionality out myself. Glad to know we are on the same page.

reuno likes this.
  9. reuno

reuno

@andrin_man > I usually don't announce stuff before it's finished, but the next update may (or may not) contain pressure pads like that, and the ability to grab and throw stuff (ala Mario Bros 2). Potentially on top of said pressure pads. Potentially enemies as well.

Quinn221 likes this.
  10. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

I was just trying to do the Mario 2, carry objects, things on my own. Don't forget to consider the Jump forward, and cant chance direction thing :) (Castlevania 1 style). I am also working on a soccer-like function, where I can kick a ball. I was wondering if I could get the results, with the "Knockback" Functions, that weapons have on enemies, on a ball. I have been trying with no success.

11. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > I think I'd go with a dedicated class for something like kicking a ball, it's too specific to try to use the knockback for this.

12. eNm2

eNm2

Hi Everyone,

i want to play a new Animation if my Player reached the LevelEnd ( i have a Trigger Object here)..

I have added the Animation to the RectangleAnimatorController and add a new Bool to the ParameterList.

What i must do next to play my Player my new Animation...

thx

13. reuno

reuno

14. eNm2

eNm2

I know how to trigger Animation Parameters but it dont works ,, i dont know why

here is my Code:

public class CharacterLevelEnd :MonoBehaviour

{

private Animator anim;

void Start()
    {
    anim = GetComponentInChildren<Animator>();
    }

private void OnTriggerEnter2D (Collider2D other)
    {
    if (other.CompareTag ("LevelEndBlock") )
    {
    anim.SetTrigger("LevelEnd");

}
    }

}

15. reuno

reuno

@eNm2 > Without context, I don't know what could be wrong with that piece of code. But it's really nothing specific to the engine, I'm sure you can ask around anywhere. Personnally I'd recommend using debug tools to try to see why it's not doing what you designed it to do.

16. hjh965

hjh965

Hello, I just bought Corgi Engine and imported all of its assets into an empty 2D project.
    However, I can't play the demo because of 2 errors. And since the document recommends not to modify the script, I decided to post the problem here to get help.
    upload_2020-2-2_17-46-11.png
    What should I do? Am I missing something? I did exactly what the Overview section told me to do, so I'm a bit lost here.

17. Muppo

Muppo

As you can see, the errors are from Unity itself, not Corgi. Reuno had recommend not using 2019.3 versions several times due to this.
    Can you can try again with a 2019.2.x Unity version?

reuno likes this.
  18. reuno

reuno

@hjh965 > This looks like a package issue. Try updating the pixel perfect package to its latest version.

19. hjh965

hjh965

@reuno I updated the package and the demo now plays without any error. @Muppo Thanks, both of you.

Muppo and reuno like this.
  20. zemanek86

zemanek86

dobrý den,
    prosím pomozte.
    Level RetroClouds uložit jako le1 upravit přidat do LevelSelection.
    err: odkaz na objekt není nastaven na instanci objektu

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      324.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      342.2 KB
      Views:
  21. Muppo

Muppo

@zemanek86
    Sorry but we speak english here.
    The problem you show on the screenshots means you have to add that "lev1" scene to the build meanwhile it is open.
    Every scene you create should be on the build if you want it to be loaded, there's nothing wrong with the script :)

Attached Files:

reuno likes this.
  22. zemanek86

zemanek86

Thank you

23. daniloamf

daniloamf

Hello, I am recently using the corgi engine, I would like to know, is there any compatibility with unity's 2D Sprite Shape feature?

24. reuno

reuno

@daniloamf > Sure, the engine is independent from how you render stuff. As long as your colliders are properly setup, it'll work :)

25. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

Hi,
    First of all, i bought your asset, and i just implemented in to my game. Am using last Unity version with Universal Render Pipeline, and seems that my game works fine in everything, and am enjoying your asset and is helping me a lot , so thank you for your job. Am a person that i don't know how to code, but i have a little skills with Unity, and am having some troubles figuring how to achieve some implementations, so i want to ask for help or guidance in my doubts, i appreciate it if it's possible.

-I am creating a 2d sci-fi shooter, and am having trouble how to implement the aim system with the animations etc. to fit all well together. As you can see, in the image, i have a character, and that gameobject have 3 sprites that are attached to the character object that are the first arm the head and de off arm, what i want is that the 3 objects follow the mouse cursor, so that gives the sensation the sprite is pointing all time where we point with the mouse. The trick part is here, i need that when the mouse pass the 180º the player flip, and if the player is running to the left but pointing to the right, i have an animation of my player running like backwards, can be implemented this animation in some way? I used the handle weapon rotation, but i would ask if you can guide me to how to achieve this.

-My other question is about Doors and platforms, i want to have some kind of doors and platforms, that can be opened with a button in game but don't need any key. I could make this things with other scripts i have, but am tryin to use your engine in almost everything if I can.

Well, thank you for your attention, and my english is not so good so I hope you can understand my post.

Attached Files:

26. reuno

reuno

@marcarasanz > 1. I suppose that's something you'd fix at the animator level. Not sure how that relates to the engine though, it's quite specific and looks just like a Unity issue. Look at the documentation to learn more about what the engine exposes as animation parameters. Or you could use IK, it's up to you really, without knowing your context it's hard to tell.
    2. Have you looked at the documentation? The doors section in particular?
    If you have more questions please use the support form, thanks.

27. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

1. I think i need to explain with more detail what i mean, sorry about posted here, i thought this was the only corgi forum.
    2.I have looked at the documentation, just followed the tutorial videos, but i didn't read the key operatedZone part, now it's all fine my doors are working.

Thank you for the attention.

reuno likes this.
  28. Sofiel

Sofiel

Hello @reuno quick question.

I’m tweaking the water dynamic similar to Super Mario World SNES where if on the ground the walk speed is reduced. That’s fine but when I run (which I also did an override and reduce speed) when letting go of the button the walk speed goes back to normal bypassing the override.
    Should I instead disable running while in the water so it doesn’t reset or should I go another route? Thanks for your time.
    Awesome update (as usual) by the way.

29. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > There are multiple ways to do that : force a speed modifier, disable run, all of these would work.

30. Sofiel

Sofiel

Thanks @reuno !

reuno likes this.
  31. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Hi there. I was trying different ways to make a different animation, appear only when attacking (shooting projectile) while jumping or in the air. I tried different Animation Parameters reading through this material,https://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/animations.html#animation-parameters, + I tried different conditions (jumping, name of the melee attack condition triggers, not grounded, etc) with no success. Anyone here could point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  32. reuno

reuno

@piccolodmq > It's not done any differently than in any other Unity project. Grounded false + melee > air attack, grounded true + melee > ground attack.

33. kraulim

kraulim

Good morning people!
    I am started learning Unity a few weeks ago. And sorry my poor english, because it´s not my main language.
    I Would like to Know if Corgi Unity have integration with Playmaker. I got Corgi last week now i would like to buy Playmaker and use that inside Corgi Engine.

34. reuno

reuno

@kraulim > I don't provide support for it (you can see a full list of features on the assets page, if it's not listed, it's not in the engine), but you can of course use Playmaker with the engine.

35. kraulim

kraulim

Hello,
    I have tried install Corgi, following the video in youtube at the official channel, but didn't work ... I have Unity 2020 in my computer:

Corgi-Erro.png

I tried do that:
    "copy the manifest.json file, located at the root of the Corgi Engine folder, and paste it into your project’s Packages folder"

However didn't work ...

36. reuno

reuno

@kraulim > Unity 2020 is in alpha right now. I wouldn't recommend using it if you're new to Unity.
    And in this case you just have to update the pixel perfect package, as mentioned in the error.

37. KazSuzuki

KazSuzuki

@reuno - firstly I love your engine and respect your work so much!

I have been trying to add an enemy in the same style of your prefabs such as 'bear3d'.
    I also copied all the components from your enemies.
    However I keep having a problem everytime i add the Corgi Controller Script component.
    For some reason it rotates my character to face away from the screen (90 degrees) instead of facing horizontally (in 2d view) straight on.
    Please see the attached
    Scene shows the Purple enemy facing left

Game shows the Purple enemy facing away from the screen

My Unity version is 2019.2.2f1 and Corgi v6.2.1

ive tried rotating 90 degress in the prefabs, the objects, everything yet have no luck.
    Maybe I am neglecting something very basic but perhaps you might have an idea?

Kind regards, I've spent ages trying to sort it without asking for support.
    Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  38. reuno

reuno

I suppose you didn't nest your model properly? It's hard to tell without info. I'd suggest comparing the hierarchies, or reading the documentation, it explains that in more details. If the issue persists please use the support form and provide more details, thanks!

39. KazSuzuki

KazSuzuki

Thank you, I just copied the hierarchies how they were with your original characters and i somehow got them facing the right way.

reuno likes this.
  40. Zoo4125

Zoo4125

Hi, I would just like to say the new room update is fantastic, you keep adding things I'm looking for and looking forward too. Any idea when the Push button mechanic to open doors will be released? Also I've created a new project Unity 2019.3.1f1 and imported corgi properly however for some reason in play demos hold left indefinitely unsure if this problem is on my end or not. But like I said it was a entirely new project I made just to test out Rooms and other Demos.

41. reuno

reuno

@Zoo4125 > You can already push a button to open a door :) You'll find examples of that in the FeaturesKeys demo scene.I'm not aware of any issue with 2019.3.1f1 (aside from the usual packages needing updates, but that's on Unity's side). Don't hesitate to use the support form and provide a bit more info if the issue persists.

42. Zoo4125

Zoo4125

I meant a pressure plate like push blocks onto a weighted button on the floor haha, like you showed recently in the forums

Quinn221 likes this.
  43. reuno

reuno

@Zoo4125 > That's in the next update :)

Quinn221 and javi_unity402 like this.
  44. wayloon

wayloon

Hi, @reuno , How to make Auto Scrolling support Cinemachine?

45. reuno

reuno

@wayloon > That's not something that is built-in right now, but it's on my todo list.

Quinn221 likes this.
  46. xpachin

xpachin

where is the grappling hook in that list? and the minimap?

47. reuno

reuno

javi_unity402 likes this.
  48. xpachin

xpachin

i know, i just wanted to know if they are in the top or the bottom of that list :oops:

49. reuno

reuno

@xpachin > I don't comment on that :)
    But they're both somewhere between the top and the bottom.

xDeveloper and xpachin like this.
  50. piccolodmq

piccolodmq

Hi there. Quick question. Is there a way to set up, melee attacks, binding keys like UP ARROW and E button, to perform an Uppercut like a Melee attack, just went I am pressing those 2 keys at the same time, and normal melee attacks when pressing the E button, without modifying your scripts?

Thanks!