Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. fbbgo

fbbgo

Hello,
    1.5 version has some bugs, when run in mac mac system report graphic error.
    and run in iOS will report error like below

[surface->contextpresentRenderbuffer:GL_RENDERBUFFER]; <- Thread 1:EXEC_BAD_ACCESS(code=1,address=0x1

how to solve it?

2. reuno

reuno

@fbbgo > No, there's a difference between "bugs" and "I didn't update to the latest version or read the error message I get or even read the last page of that very forum I'm posting in".

Now, you should update to 1.5.1.
    Then, as mentioned before, you might want to disable motion blur and other effects on devices with poor GPUs (which seems to be your case here according to that error).
    1.5.1 disables these effects by default.

3. fbbgo

fbbgo

yes , It is ok.
    but, you must test in yourself , users no time to find the holes.

4. reuno

reuno

Black-Season likes this.
  5. AyanRoy

AyanRoy

Corgi Engine is simply awesome and the price is reasonable as well. I am new to unity but finding it very easy to work with it and tweaking it according to my need. Although I am stuck at one place....Character Jump ( there are 21 separate single frame animations for that- what is the reason for that? I want to make a simple jump and a double jump (where player takes a roll jump in the air). I would highly appreciate if you can help me with that.

So, far its the best 2d platformer engine.
    Few things which I would like to have in it-
    1. Powerups (limited time)- for example- invincibility, Invisibility
    2. Definitely - Weapon switching - for example- hand guns, rocket launchers, etc
    3. grenades (maybe)- which can be thrown at a limited distance
    4. enemy bosses- a big bad ass enemy at the end of level.

Thanks

6. reuno

reuno

@RoyBoy > I've already answered your first question via email, so I'll focus on the rest :
    1 > the basic mechanics for powerups are already implemented (weapon upgrade, time modification). From there, implementing invincibility or invisibility is extremely simple (especially as there are already hooks to add these two features).
    2 > there are already methods for weapon switching.
    3 > grenades could be fun.
    4 > bosses are just bigger enemies with more health, you already have all that at your disposal, it's up to you to create bigger enemies.

7. dythen

dythen

Okay, so far this engine is absolutely amazing, worth every penny, and you're a godsend for making it. I'm figuring everything out pretty well (considering I'm much more of an artist/animator than a programmer and have a seriously difficult time with scripts). One thing I can't get to work is having the player's health carry over from scene to scene. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? It seems that everything is set to refresh on the loading of a level start/checkpoint aside from the score. I really appreciate your help! I think it's really cool that you're actually taking the time to answer everyone's questions like you have been.

8. reuno

reuno

@dythen > That's a very good question. Not sure what you'd call an "easy" way. If you're looking for a built-in method, right now there's none, as there are already examples of stuff that gets kept from level to level, like the score. My advice would be to have a look at how the score is kept, and apply the same mechanism to the health, it's really that simple. You'll want to also keep in check the parts where the player's health gets reset. I hope this helps!

9. dythen

dythen

Ah, that makes sense! I had briefly looked into the script for the score, but was unsure if applying that mechanic to the health would be the best way of doing it. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, then. Thanks and keep up the great work!

10. Black-Season

Black-Season

anyways I'd love a shield option, best if with parry button (wonder boy in monster world?)

11. snake77jt

snake77jt

There is a slight glitch. If you spawn many robots, kill them, die, then re-spawn once again, some robots would not re-spawn (this would also occur when placing a lot of coins). Also how would I go about making the falling platforms re spawn , when the playable character re-spawns.

12. reuno

reuno

@Black Season > Implementing a shield is very easy. You just have to change the animation to display your shield, and prevent the character from taking damage (or taking less damage). Can be done in less than 10 lines of code. I probably won't add it, it's quite specific, and again very easy to implement considering that all the required methods are already there.
    @snake77jt > can't reproduce it. How many robots are we talking about ? About the platforms respawn, just have a look at how the enemies respawn, it's exactly the same thing.

13. Black-Season

Black-Season

@reuno right, I was considering a shield with a parry trigger, I mean it doesn't shield anything unless you timingly (is this word even english) trigger it with a button for "parry". Yes is quite specific, I'll figure it out.
    What a bout a Ghost 'n Goblins destructible armour? :p your set is already beyond amazing, so I'm just talking here :)

Edit. I agree with another user: GRENADES

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  14. reuno

reuno

Parry's interesting to implement. Even more specific than a shield, so I won't include it, but a nice challenge.
    I think I'd go for a very short lived version of the shield I just described. That way if the hit comes right after you pressing the button, you successfully parry. Then it's just a matter of fine tuning how long after the press the parry is still valid.
    And a destructible armor is also very easy to implement if you look at what's already in the asset. You already have all the mechanics for a healthbar. Your destructible armor is either another healthbar, or a change in your animation / character once its health gets below a certain predefined level.

Black-Season likes this.
  15. Black-Season

Black-Season

@reuno right, again :)
    Anyways I go a little off-topic: I think you and other developers should consider some "asset-expansions".
    I mean, Corgi is amazing, and I would be glad ( and i think other people too) to pay for some DLC-style assets that would perfectly fit in Corgi environment.
    like a 9.9$ medieval Corgi expansion, with advanced melee scripts, just saying. Or some other more specific features the of course I wouldn't expect you to implement in Corgi.

I don't know if I'm a typical user profile, but I'm 38, with a good job, always dreamt of making a game and willing to dig in my own pocket to start a prototype/game. But I have little time to dedicate to that, or to start learning scripting from scratch.

I could ask someone to do it for money, but I don't know how much something would cost, if it would make conflict in a Corgi-based game and so on.

it's just me chatting here, but I'd like to know what you think about it. Maybe I'm naive for some reasons I didn't consider :)

best regards

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  16. animeshk

animeshk

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or if this is a known issue:

I just downloaded the latest (1.5.1?) version of the Corgi Engine and I tried to install the demo levels on my old iPad 2/16gig system. It builds and installs. I see the intro screen. When I try to go into the first level, I get a black screen (with the iOS touch control icons). It then shuts down and I go back to the iPad home screen. Has anyone seen this? I assume I'm doing something wrong! Thanks!

17. reuno

reuno

@Black Season > This is a very good idea. That would allow for more specific features without making the main package too big to grasp for newcomers. I'll consider it :)
    @animeshk > I can confirm 1.5.1 is the latest version. The fact that it's not running on your old iPad suggests a performance issue, especially if you see the intro screen (obviously less greedy when it comes to GPU). I'd disable all camera effects first if I were you. Then you might want to try the minimal level, for example, maybe your device can't handle large levels. I hope this helps!

18. animeshk

animeshk

Thanks, @reuno! I was able to get the minimal level to load. This is probably resources. I think it's time for me to upgrade my iPad.

19. snake77jt

snake77jt

What have you been working on for the next update release :)? Is it going to be local multiplayer support ;);). No rush intended, just wondering.- have a good day!:D

20. reuno

reuno

@animeshk > Glad to know it's working now. For old devices, keep things small and light on shaders and effects.
    @snake77jt > Not much so far. I think I'll slow the release pace for a while, as the asset has reached a point where it contains a lot of features and they're all working great (haven't found a bug or had any reported in a while). Right now I'm focused on the network version of the asset, which is almost ready now, and I've started work on a top down asset (think Binding of Isaac, Zelda, or a beat them all). That doesn't mean there won't be any more updates though, I definitely still have surprises coming :)

21. snake77jt

snake77jt

Good point, i have not encountered any bugs for the past month, so its much easier to develop games. :)

22. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

23. reuno

reuno

@snake77jt > That's very good news.
    @UnbreakableOne > I guess you're talking about the weapon's CollisionMask. That's exactly the same thing as the layer based collision, it uses the same API, just allowed more flexibility implemented that way.

24. degl

degl

25. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Thanks but how I can alter this? I've added a Layer (a new kind of bullet) and want it to collide with everything but an specific layer. I went the normal Unity way but Projectile's OnTriggerEnter2D's first check won't return true:

if ((CollisionMask.value & (1 << collider.gameObject.layer)) == 0)

26. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Hi!
    Im looking to use the Water, but i modified a lot of things about the game, and now i really dont know why my character doesnt modify the velocity when hes inside the water =(
    ¿Where is where u modify the velocity?

Thanks!!

SOLVED: omg.. im stupid, ive deleted the Physics Volume 2D script.. :(

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  27. Wisdom-Kwan

Wisdom-Kwan

Corgin Engine Docs link is death, not found docs in this project too.

28. Spike-Liu

Spike-Liu

Hi Reuno, Thanks for making this great asset. I just have one question about the mobile control, how can I modify it so I can use swipe to make player move. I got the Easy Touch 4, I just couldn't figure out what code should I replace to get the swipe control working.

29. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@YyFiRe you can write the Easy Touch code part in the file "CorgiEngine/scripts/gameManagement/InputManager.cs".
    Look at the "CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis", "CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButton", etc

30. Spike-Liu

Spike-Liu

Thanks! I'll give it a go.

31. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

I noticed that Corgi no longer 'sticks' to moving platforms. He doesn't move along with horizontal platforms and on vertical platforms he continuously falls when the platform is moving down. Is this behavior configurable? If not, will this be addressed in a future version?

Jkc_dev likes this.
  32. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

I have the same problem =S

Does anyone have some problem with the ParallaxElement in Android? When i use it with a non plain background (not only a color) it "jumps" when the camera moves, i mean, it doesnt move smoothly.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  33. reuno

reuno

First of all, sorry about the late replies, but I was off giving a talk at a conference these last few days, and didn't have a lot of free time.
    @UnbreakableOne > Again, there's no "normal Unity way", they're the same thing. You shouldn't add a new layer for each type of bullets. That's what collision masks are for. I recommend Send me an email through my unity support email along with your invoice number if you still don't get it, I'll elaborate.
    @Juaks > Glad you fixed it on your own, good job :)
    @Wisdom Kwan > Where did you find a broken link ?
    @YyFiRe > I wouldn't have said it better than @Mr.Stein :)
    @cjackcandy, @Juaks > that's a bug indeed. Weird, couldn't reproduce it until now, but I think I get it. I'll fix it quickly. Can't reproduce the parallax bug on Android. Do you have the issue on levels like Mesa1 ? The moutains are in a parallax element and behave normally on Android on all the devices I've tested it on. Maybe a perf issue here, try with a smaller asset ?

cjackcandy likes this.
  34. fenderjag10

fenderjag10

Hi reuno, just picked the engine up, looks like it's going to make things a lot easier, good job! I have a (hopefully) small issue, when i build a level the player controls are not working, it works ok when i'm in the editor but as soon as i build the scene the player won't move. Any ideas?

35. reuno

reuno

@fenderjag10 > Hum, never ran into that issue myself, and nobody ever reported it.
    What device/platform are you building for ?

36. fenderjag10

fenderjag10

Hi, it's a windows build. Just did a quick Google search and not sure if it's something to do with the root motion, so maybe a unity issue rather than a corgi one. It is one of my own scenes but using the prefabs from corgi. Thanks.

37. reuno

reuno

@fenderjag10 > If you manage to fix I'd be happy to know what the problem was, could help others having the same issue. Good luck :)

38. reuno

reuno

I've just uploaded v1.5.2, which fixes the moving platform glitches (it's now perfectly "sticky" for both horizontal and vertical platforms). It should be available to you guys in the coming days.

cjackcandy and Jkc_dev like this.
  39. unit102

unit102

Hi reuno,

thanks for making this great asset !
    I bought your asset to help me prototype my game. The features of your asset are great, having so many functions already made available and ready for mobile is just amazing, however, I found out its not easy to prototype.
    I simply spent many hours trying to make heavy-corgi an enemy that shoot bullets and still I can't figure out why he won't shoot unless I lift him up above ground and create a distance gap from ground in order he can shoot the bullets.
    I tried adjusting the (Box collider 2D) several times and still I can't get it right.

anyone have a tip or tried this maybe? unless reuno you can help me out please.
    thanks.

40. Jkc_dev

Jkc_dev

Thanks! U rock!!

@unit102 - have u tried to change the sprite of the "blueRobot" to ur heavy-corgi sprite? I think the problem its the height of the enemy, i had a similar problem.

41. unit102

unit102

@Juaks - The Corgi-robot in Mesa2 level consist of body parts which is quiet challenging, the opposite of the blob, cactus, blueRobot which they use only 1 Sprite and 1 object that has all the scripts in one place (no sub-object trees like Corgi-robot..)

I tried to make the "Coin" Enemy and it worked ... movement somehow needs tweaking i guess for it to move smoothly.

In the end, we use the Asset to prototype and modify things to create our projects and my experience so far is not good, its a fantastic looking asset but require some help to make it easier for developers.
    I will continue trying today (spend hours+ just to make this work) but if you guys know how please help)
    thanks.

42. reuno

reuno

@unit102 > What probably happens is that your bullets are being generated in collision with the ground. You just need to have the generation point higher.
    To be able to prototype fast, with this asset or any other, you need skill. I'd say the more skill you have, the faster you can prototype. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you spent "hours+" not figuring out this simple problem, you should first learn basic Unity, then start prototyping, not the other way around. I think it's a valid advice for all languages by the way, not just Unity.
    If you were expecting a magic button asset, then, as I've said here before, this is not the right asset for you. I don't believe such an asset exists. If that wasn't clear for you, please let me know, I'll be happy to refund you. The Corgi Engine does make things easier, and faster. It still requires basic understanding of Unity (code, colliders, layers, stuff like that).

43. unit102

unit102

hello reuno,

thanks for the quick response,

sorry I was furustraited and you know how it feels when you try to try to figure out 1 thing that is not working while in the back of your mind you have that great imagination to implement so many things in a project in a short time and its not happening, sometimes little things take longer than big things!

as for now, I did few tests to replicate Bluerobot, I took the destructibleBlock, added Ai simple walk, Corgi controller, and Ai shoot on Sight. It works great.
    I then added Playmaker and created a condition if health is less than 50 the box would stop shooting and it worked too.
    so far so good.

My background experience is from MMF2 (multimedia fusion 2) and Playmaker is as close to that game engine logic.
    but still, customized scripts are more valuable and easier to work with because they just do what they are suposed to do. no need to build a large tree of logic to do something simple, it will pile up and if you took few days off you might forget all that logic you made! so thats why I bought your asset, its great! and so far making Playmaker work with the Corgi engine is making my project much easier to work with.

forgive me if I was rude or anything, I lack hard coding skills thats why I get furistrated easily when i don't get it or solve something simple, people are not created equal anyway but we manage to survive :)

can you please tell me where can I find the "generation point" please ?
    thanks.

44. reuno

reuno

No need to apologize, you weren't rude at all :)
    You can change the generation point in the code (where you can change pretty much everything by the way).
    In AIShootOnSight, if you look at how the actual shooting happens (it's just 3 lines, and it's commented), you'll see that each projectile is initialized at the transform's position (its center by default). So from there on you have 2 choices : always have the enemy's center/transform high enough above ground, or you add the possibility to customize a vertical offset, your choice.
    If you have more questions, please send them to me through the Unity support email, along with your invoice number. Thanks!

45. Yippie

Yippie

can i use it with Unity 5?

46. reuno

reuno

@Yippie > Yes, you can. The Corgi Engine supports Unity 5 since 1.4.1 (March 2015).

Yippie likes this.
  47. unit102

unit102

ok,
    I am experimenting with the Blob enemy.

In AIShootOnSight script, it doesn't accept float numbers .. like for example,
    "new Vector2(-1,0.1);"
    it won't work...I get compiler error.. I thought its float number??

I am not sure where is the offset that you mentioned that would work best.. I got mixed results when I tried it..so I decided to try another approach,
    I created a sub-object of the blob and pasted the blob Sprite Renderer only. so the main GameObject of the Blob is floating slightly off the ground but not rendered to shoot while the sub-object is rendering the blob on the ground (a clone)

Tell me if i am doing wrong, this is the best way I came up with so far, if there is a better way please advice.

48. reuno

reuno

@unit102 > Again, and for the last time, if you have more questions, please send me an email through the Unity support email, along with your invoice number.

Then, of course it accepts float numbers, but 0.1f is a float in C#, 0.1 ain't, and if you look at the error that's probably what it's telling you. That's really, really basic Unity, and as I recommended earlier, you should start with getting a grasp on the basics. There are tons of good tutorials out there. The Corgi Engine makes things easier, but it won't work if you're not willing to learn and stop at the first very basic error like this one.

49. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

"new Vector2(-1,0.1);"

you mean Vector2(-1, 0.1f); ? xD

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  50. unit102

unit102

got it :D

I still confuse between c# and java.