Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

I noticed that in 1.4 when the character bumps his head on some platform from below sometimes it will "bounce" down really fast rather than just falling normally, like most of the time.
    This happens even in the demo.
    It's a really weird behavior, has it been fixed on 1.5 by chance? Is it intentional?

2. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto > It's not really intentional, but wasn't bugging me much.
    It's still more or less present in 1.5. I'll fix that.

MaddoScientisto likes this.
  3. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

I'm looking forward to it!

By the way can I request ledge grabbing and climbing as a future feature?

4. reuno

reuno

5. SIV

SIV

The kit looks very cool, i hope there is a sale soon so that i can grab it too :)

6. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my character is always jumping the same height no matter how short I press the jump button, I thought that the minimum air time affected this but it doesn't seem to do anything regardless of the value.

What am I doing wrong?

7. reuno

reuno

@SIV > Nope, no sale anytime soon I'm afraid :(
    @MaddoScientisto > Try the original demo levels, with the original demo characters. Do you still have the problem ?

8. hasen

hasen

I tried the online demo and found there is a bug. When the air lifted me up in the air I let it take me all the way to the top of the screen. But then I was stuck there! Even 'flying' to the far left or right (with no need for jet pack of course) he would still not fall down.

Also a feature I would like added is when he walks on sloped platforms that his angle is altered accordingly. He seems to still be upright like on zero degree platforms. Just purchased the engine btw - its great.

9. reuno

reuno

@hasen > I'm sorry you found this bug. I'm afraid I can't reproduce it though. Here's how it goes for me :

Whatever I do, it stops as it should once I reach the top of the zone.
    Do you reproduce that bug in Unity ?
    Does anybody else have a problem with this wind zone ?

The "change the character angle according to the slope's angle" is something I'd like to implement, yes.
    It's a bit tricky, but it's on my todo list, hopefully you'll get it soon.
    Thanks a lot for purchasing the asset :)

10. hasen

hasen

Weird I can't reproduce it either! It originally happened to me in the web demo. I tried to reproduce it in Unity but couldn't and then couldn't in the web demo either. It definitely happened though. I can't remember exactly what I was doing, whether I was jumping or using the jetpack as well but somehow I got lifted right up there and couldn't stop. I guess its not much to worry about if it seldom happens anyway.

11. reuno

reuno

I think you're right and were in another state (jetpacking or something), but I've tried a few things and still can't reproduce. If it happens again let me know, it'll be easy to fix :)

12. TheChosenWong

TheChosenWong

This has happened to me as well. Might have been along the lines of dashing or jetpacking while in and out the stream. It was a combination of these actions which made me stuck into the jetpack state

13. max05

max05

Hi Reuno, when i run the webplayer demo and press space to load the level, Unity player freezes and crashes. Do you have any idea what might cause this? I tried it with Safari and Firefox as well. I have the newest Unity player, OSX 10.9.5, Macbook Pro 2012. The interesting thing is that the previous versions of Corgi engine demo worked well, without any crash.

14. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

I just decided to upgrade to the newest version and DAMN IT'S SO GOOD!

The code is much cleaner and so far the amount of hacking required to adapt to my game is very low, although I still have to clone a few classes here and there.

About that, you should consider making it possible to inherit your classes and override the methods, that way for example I could just have a class that inherits the camera manager and changes the bounding boxes behaviour and so on!

I really got to praise you for cutting down the amount of stuff that has to be present on a map to get things working, it really saved me many headaches!

15. reuno

reuno

@TheOtherWong > Alright, I'll look into it and try and reproduce. If somebody comes up with a sure way to reproduce, that'll save time. Sorry you guys are running into this bug. I've recently hurt my wrist pretty bad, so bear with me while I recover, I'll get on to fixing these pesky little remaining bugs when I can write with both hands again.

@max05 > I do have an idea. One of the biggest difference between the 1.4 and 1.5 in terms of performance is me adding effects to the camera. Bloom, blur and vignette, to be exact. These effects come from Unity 5's standard effects, and I thought they looked fun, and would provide you guys with examples on how to improve your graphics relatively easily (basically you just add and tweak components, I find it convenient and fun to play with). Recently someone reported crashes in editor. I've suggested to turn the effects off and suddenly it's all working again. My guess is your graphics card doesn't like these effects too much. Or maybe the web player doesn't handle them well. You can try the html5 demo, I've heard it's more stable. However, you won't be able to play with a pad (at least it doesn't work for me, maybe you'll be luckier) : http://reuno.info/unity/corgi-engine/html/ I'm not sure why these crashes occur. I don't see what I can do at my level, except turning these effects off. Maybe a Unity patch will fix that ?

@MaddoScientisto > That's good to hear! Good point about the possibility to inherit some of the classes. That may be the case in the next release, as for the network asset I'm working on with a friend we've had to make some changes in that direction. I'm glad it can be of use to others too :) Again, really happy this is working for you, and that the upgrade wasn't too painful!

16. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

Nevermind the headaches just came in: I'm getting some exceptions in CharacterBehaviour.verticalmovement (where it tries to do something with _scenecamera), I'm trying to figure if I haven't added something to the scene or maybe it could be because I changed the camera to a toolkit 2d camera (I need it to be pixel perfect) and now it's trying to do funky stuff it doesn't understand or something.

2dtoolkit's camera is inherits the regular camera but adds settings based on pixel size and stuff, it's not supposed to be zoomed so I had to clone che camera controller but I still have to figure what to change.

Also stuff in unity sample assets (the ones included in the corgi engine, specifically InputAxisScrollbarCI ) give me errors in visual studio and make it hang and makes debugging impossible, can I just remove these

17. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto > That part where the CharacterBehavior tries to move the camera is when you're pressing up or down while grounded, to look up or down. If you're not interested in that functionality or if the camera you're using doesn't support it, you can get rid of it (just comment the lines).
    And the unity sample assets parts are just there for demo purposes. It includes mobile controls, to showcase the engine's performance on mobile, and the camera effects. You can get rid of the effects, that won't affect the engine. You can remove the InpuAxisScrollbar script. Note that this will probably cause mobile input to stop working. Don't remove the whole folder though, that would trigger some errors.
    If you run into other issues, please send me a PM with your problem and your invoice number :)

18. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

So I just bought this asset and I cannot believe how polished it is. As a programmer myself (who is lazy and likes to buy from people who already made what I want :p) I appreciate how clear your code is. I am making a jump and shoot game and it took like 2 seconds to find and make the changes I needed.

I do have one question (since I am not a 2D guy), how can I add new weapon textures? I have looked at the gun you have and im just not familiar enough with 2d sprites to figure out where the gun texture is. I want to use the pig character but give him access to a bunch of different guns.

This is actually the first time I have ever worked in 2d so its been an...experience, lol.

19. hasen

hasen

Just wondering why I die when walking into the rock on the Mesa1 level?

Attached Files:

• a.png
      a.png
      File size:
      291.4 KB
      Views:
    • b.png
      b.png
      File size:
      211.8 KB
      Views:
  20. sefou

sefou

Hi,
    probably little bug edge2D collider (convex /concav problem ? ) ; i simply edit 2 edges colliders perpendicular to the ground and Voilà :

21. reuno

reuno

@OneShotGG > I'm really glad you like the asset :) There is no "gun texture". Right now the gun is part of the character. You'll have to create your own characters if you want to have the gun as a separate asset. The pig/chicken/cat characters are spine powered so that's a bit different, but they're just examples of how Spine can work with the corgi engine, you shouldn't use them in production.
    @hasen > as @sefou said, it's just a matter of fixing the collider. I've added a way to avoid this in the next bugfix release.

22. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

I had this bug happen to me in the web development build, but it only happend once. And I couldn't get it to happen at all in a standalone build. I will let you know if I'm able to get it consistently.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  23. reuno

reuno

I've finally taken the time to record a beginner's tutorial to the Corgi Engine.
    I really don't like recording videos, I've hated every second of it :)
    So I hope you'll like it, here it is :

The Mearl Mansion likes this.
  24. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

@OneShotGG
    I added a sprite to the gun prefab, so far it seems to be the best way to do it, it needs some adjusting of the position and some more code so it doesn't look weird when shooting in directions other than left and right, it seems I'll have to do the gun rotation myself

25. hasen

hasen

Thanks so much for recording the tutorial. I haven't watched it yet but am downloading now. I'm sure its gonna be very useful.

26. csotomon

csotomon

Hi @reuno I have a macbook pro and when I run the demos scenarios my laptop crashes.

Looking for the possible problem, I found that is the CameraMotionBlur script. I recommend this script to disable the engine as compatible as possible.

27. The Mearl Mansion

The Mearl Mansion

Thanks for the great Engine Reuno! I just started messing around with it and that tutorial you posted solved so many problems I was having trying to reverse engineer all of my assets into the Engine. Can't wait to start using this soon.
    -Ryan

28. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto > Yup, that's the right way to go.
    @hasen, @The Mearl Mansion > I'm glad you like the tutorial! I'll make more, maybe on more focused points of the engine.
    @csotomon > Yes, that's been mentioned before (on this very page actually). That's your graphics card not liking Unity's default shaders.

29. hasen

hasen

Yes it was exactly what I was looking for, how to create a player. :)

30. GilwenGamer

GilwenGamer

Great looking package! I'm going to be purchasing it in the next month for an upcoming project of mine. Are there any other licenses or restrictions beyond what is in the standard Unity Asset Store EULA?

31. csotomon

csotomon

I can't found the post that you're talking. There is a solution for this problem?

32. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

Here I am with a brand new problem!
    With a video too: http://a.pomf.se/hvgpgt.webm

I copied the pixel corgi and edited it, the only things I did was changing the collider width and height to match my character and not much else.

As you can see I first try to jump into a one-tile wide space but completely fail, maybe it's my fault for having configured the collider wrong, I don't know.
    The real problem is the second part: jumping against a platform like the one in the video the character either shoots down or up really fast, earlier in testing it even went through the level out of bounds!!

33. reuno

reuno

@yellow fish superstar > Yes, the music and characters are copyrighted, the rest you can use. You can't redistribute the asset (like sell parts of it on the asset store, stuff like that, but that's standard). Makes me think I need to add that to the asset page, thanks :)

@csotomon > As I said, it's on this very page :
    "One of the biggest difference between the 1.4 and 1.5 in terms of performance is me adding effects to the camera. Bloom, blur and vignette, to be exact. These effects come from Unity 5's standard effects, and I thought they looked fun, and would provide you guys with examples on how to improve your graphics relatively easily (basically you just add and tweak components, I find it convenient and fun to play with). Recently someone reported crashes in editor. I've suggested to turn the effects off and suddenly it's all working again. My guess is your graphics card doesn't like these effects too much. Or maybe the web player doesn't handle them well. You can try the html5 demo, I've heard it's more stable. However, you won't be able to play with a pad (at least it doesn't work for me, maybe you'll be luckier) : http://reuno.info/unity/corgi-engine/html/ I'm not sure why these crashes occur. I don't see what I can do at my level, except turning these effects off. Maybe a Unity patch will fix that ?"

Since posting this I've learned more about it, turns out your video card is probably at fault here, buy a better one, or don't use these effects. It's really a Unity issue, not much I can do here I'm afraid. I'll probably remove them from the demo.

@MaddoScientisto > Can you please send me these requests via MP along with your invoice number ? I've already asked you for that once. I'm always happy to help but it's hard for me to keep track of everyone's issues in this single thread :)

34. MaddoScientisto

MaddoScientisto

@reuno sorry for that, I'll compose you an MP with all the info soon!
    I'm mostly a fan of public support so that results will appear in google, it's frustrating when one googles something for something really obscure and there are no results at all.
    I understand it can get messy though

35. reuno

reuno

@MaddoScientisto > Thanks for the MP. I'm compiling my "best" replies and will make them available in a FAQ soon. Hopefully it'll be easier for people than having to sort through forum pages.

36. Travis-Goetz

Travis-Goetz

Love the asset. The demo scenes are really slick.

Reuno, is there any way to configure this to use "digital" movement (precise, without the drag and sliding) rather than physics/force-based?

edit: Got it. Removing the lerp from HorizontalMovement() and raising the sensitivity/gravity for the horizontal axis (in unity's input manager) did the trick.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  37. reuno

reuno

@Travis Goetz > That was the way to go :)
    I'll make this tweakable in the inspector, that's a good feature.

38. PumpkinPaul

PumpkinPaul

Hi @reuno - hardcore XNA developer here but just started dabbling in Unity with my girlfriend's son - we purchased your asset and I've got to say it's a really great resource - good work!

Regards,
    Paul Cunningham

www.pumpkin-games.net

39. SauloDFP

SauloDFP

Hello I was looking at this set of tools, and realized that she has not yet implemented the change of gravity mechanics. Something similar to what can be seen in VVVVV game. I tried the one in mechida CorgiController class and create a condition that would reverse the directions of raycasts when gravity> 0 or severity <0. But was a bit buggy ...

40. reuno

reuno

@PumpkinPaul > Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it. Awesome portfolio by the way :)

@SauloDFP > The change of gravity feature won't make it into the engine. It's too specific. It's possible to implement it if it's essential to your game, but yeah obviously it's a pretty heavy change. Actually the easiest way to do it would be to just apply negative gravity and then just change the animations, and implementing invert jump, stuff like that.

SauloDFP likes this.
  41. medidog

medidog

Hi @reuno, thanks for the asset, you made a pretty amazing job!! I want to buy this, but I would like to ask if I can add second player to the game with different controls on keyboard. (or gamepad maybe) Is this possible? It is kind of important for me. Please let me know :)

42. reuno

reuno

@medidog > This is not completely packaged right now, but you can do it pretty easily as long as you're willing to code it. Basically you'll need to change stuff in the way the inputManager works, but that's doable. Or you could wait for me to add it properly, but it might be a couple of months.

43. Rombout

Rombout

Hi, I'm loving the corgi engine so far, great job! I got a question though. I want to unlock the permissions (double jump, shoot, etc) as the player unlocks them throughout the game. How would I go about doing this? As I can't really code and use playmaker for pretty much everything so far, I have a hard time finding where and how to enable/disable them. Thanks!

44. reuno

reuno

@Rombout > That's super easy, permissions are just public booleans, you just have to change them when your conditions are met... Not much more I can explain here. No way to do it without coding I'm afraid, but that's just one line. Start learning Unity, look at basic tutorials and you should be ok with a simple task like this in a few hours.
    Basically it'll look like this (Player being a CharacterBehavior) :
    Player.Permissions.DashEnabled=true;

KeepTrying likes this.
  45. medidog

medidog

I just purchased it! :) Thanks! I will try to do it but I am willing to wait for you to add it too :D

46. jamesloymartin

jamesloymartin

Does the dialog system include dialog options for the player to choose from? Like can an NPC say something and the player can choose something like Yes No Maybe. Basically, does it allow you to build a tree?

Thanks!

47. reuno

reuno

@medidog > Thanks for purchasing the asset, I hope you'll like it. Let me know how it goes!
    @jamesloymartin > No, the dialogue system is a more simple than that, it just allows you to display a series of messages. You could easily custom it to have it alternate between two characters, but that would still be linear. Right now I'm afraid I don't have plans to include a proper tree dialogue system, as I don't think it's mandatory in a platformer engine.

48. arkhament

arkhament

Hi @reuno, now I really love the corgiengine, great Work..

REALTIME MULTIPLAYER Corgi Online.
    I'm trying to make it online. After an afternoon of work I have succeeded :)!!! .
    I still need to work a little on the perfect sync of the movements and in the Enemy/NPC sync.

Features for the moment:
    Character selection.
    Create Room(with name)
    List Room(name, number of players)
    Player Name
    Player Score
    Who kill who(name)
    Camera - Tracking Players like smash bros
    I've tried in PC, WebPlayer and Android and so far it works

Here is a video:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  49. reuno

reuno

@arkhament > Good job, looks really good :) Any particular issues you ran into ? Or stuff I could improve ?
    For others interested in multiplayer, the dedicated asset is coming along fast now, and will hopefully be released shortly.

50. arkhament

arkhament

Hi @reuno, at the moment i think all is working great. About the multiplayer.. this night i will fix the movements sync and i will try to make a leaderboard, after that I will publish my result in video here :)