Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Svonsil > You probably disabled them in your gizmo settings. I'd try re-enabling them there.
    I just tested it just to be sure and level bounds gizmos work just fine with a fresh install and 2019.1.6f1. So if the gizmo settings don't solve it, please use the support form and provide more info.

2. Svonsil

Svonsil

Thank you very much! It worked

reuno likes this.
  3. Zoo4125

Zoo4125

Hi, I recently purchased your engine and everything is working great so far! Really enjoying this. I'm having a little trouble getting the camera to follow my character I'm not sure if I'm going about this the wrong way I watched your tutorial on the camera and am still having trouble
    I'm having trouble getting the camera to follow the character
    and the corgi engine camera blurs the quality of the pixels in my scene the normal camera dosen't do this. I tried editing some settings but not sure what on the corgi engines camera is causing this

4. reuno

reuno

@Zoo4125 > I'd need more info to be able to help. What do you mean "'trouble"? It's a bit too vague. And there's nothing in the engine that impacts rendering. There may be on Unity's side, but the engine can't "blur the quality of the pixels", it's a platformer solution, it moves stuff around. Post processing, or pixel perfect settings may do that, but the engine won't. Don't hesitate to use the support form if your problem persists, but please provide more info.

5. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hi @reuno.

I have started to set game progress manager. Amazing work! Corgi Engine worth every cent paid on it. Please, eat healthy, sleep at least 8 hours and exercise once in a while. We need you for the next two or three years.

Congratulations!

6. reuno

reuno

@javi_unity402 > I'll try! I'm glad you like the engine, thanks for the kind words!

7. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno About Inventory Engine included, I really need to customize it:
    I'd need something like tabs with different kind of inventories each one, It's going to be a problem if I use SetActive with the canvasGroups to change the inventory shown or it's not going to be that easy?
    I'd need to transform an inventory to an ingame shop to buy items, it's going to be very tricky or it will be enough to override "UseItem" to call "AddItem" to add buyed item to an arbitrary inventory?
    Thank you

8. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > It's quite hard to answer without knowing either your specs or your skills.
    I'd say it should be fairly easy if you're comfortable with Unity?
    Basically the Inventory Engine is just that, an engine. It's got base methods to handle addition, storage, use, etc. What you decide to do with them, and how hard it is, is entirely up to you and depends on the scope of what you're building, there's no generic answer to that question :)

luigi7 likes this.
  9. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno
    Ok, let's say i am good enough, the logic behind would not be a problem, and from you answer I guess you are sure that the engine it's going to behave consistently when i'll work with :)

10. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > I'm sure of nothing, I don't know what you want to do. I'm not sure I understand what SetActive has to do with implementing tabs (I wouldn't do it like that), or what you mean when you say "transform an inventory to an ingame shop". These are not simple things, and what you mean by these simple terms can be many different things.
    But there's an API and it works, and if you use it as designed it'll work as designed :)
    If you have other questions about that, please use the support form and provide more info and I'll be happy to help.

luigi7 likes this.
  11. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno How would you implement tabbed inventory? What i meant is that i'd have some button that, when clicked, would hide/show in

12. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > Again, that'd really depends on your exact specs, target device, etc, there's no generic answer to that. But it'd require a specific script that does whatever you're after, handles navigation, etc. And again, please use the support form for questions like that from now on, thanks.

13. pjooren

pjooren

I'm having a hard time with my parallax background using the Cinemachine Camera. It's like the background jitters or stutters, more so with background images where the parallax speed settings are set to like .8 or .9 . I've tried a few adjustments based on suggestions I've read online. I've tried all Update Method settings. I've tried messing around with the Interpolate settings of my main character without any luck. To rule out if it's anything I set up incorrectly, I added a few parallax backgrounds to the minimal demo level and didn't touch any of the Camera Rig settings and I still have the same problem. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I need to change in Unity, or is it a camera setting I'm missing? Is anyone else noticing the same problem? Thanks in advance.

14. reuno

reuno

@pjooren > I'm not aware of any issue with parallax, and I don't reproduce your problem either. Please use the support form to report bugs, and provide exact repro steps, and I'll be happy to have a look.

15. Svonsil

Svonsil

Hi! How can animate jumping and falling of my character apart? I have found how to animate jumping in documentation but not how animate falling.

16. reuno

reuno

@Svonsil > I'd recommend using a blendtree for that, you'll find examples of such blendtrees in the engine. That's how the space-corgi-spritesheet demo character works, among others.

17. Zoo4125

Zoo4125

Hi where is it that you would add dust to your jumping or dust at the startup of turning around from a walk / run?

18. reuno

reuno

@Zoo4125 > Most abilities (jump being one of them) come with feedback hooks for that kind of stuff, don't hesitate to look at the examples (the Retro Corgi one is a good one). There's isn't one for turning around but you can extend the Flip method and add one if you need to.

19. Zoo4125

Zoo4125

How do I hook the MM Feedback script to
    https://prnt.sc/q1gcmc Am I going about this the right way? I'm trying to add in the dust particle animation I made but it wont let me. I checked out the Retro Corgi and it was somewhat helpful

20. reuno

reuno

@Zoo4125 > Feedbacks and animations are two completely different things. I'd recommend reading the feedbacks documentation before trying to extend anything, it might be a bit too complex if you're new to these things.
    You can absolutely use an animation for your dust if you prefer (I assumed you were using particles, not animations), but then you'll want to implement that in the animator, not at the feedbacks level. Again, reading Unity's documentation about animations will probably make your life easier.

21. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

- Corgi Engine Capacitor?

- Corging!

22. reuno

reuno

javi_unity402 likes this.
  23. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

What do you suggest for freezing the character in place while not affecting the camera or time? I'm using ProCamera2D with rooms and want my player to freeze in place during the room transition. I have the following code that seems to work (sets
    CorgiController.DefaultParameters
    speeds to 0 and then back to original values).

Ideally what I want though, is everything frozen BUT the camera.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     CorgiController playercharacter;
    2.     Vector2 originalMaxVelocity;
    3.     float originalSpeedAccelerationOnGround;
    4.     float oringinalSpeedAccelerationInAir;
    5.     float originalSpeedFactor;
    6.     bool initializedParameters;
    8.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         var player = GameObject.Find("/Rectangle");
    12.         playercharacter = player.GetComponent<CorgiController>();
    13.     }
    15.     void Update()
    16.     {
    17.         if (playercharacter != null && !initializedParameters)
    18.         {
    19.             originalMaxVelocity = playercharacter.DefaultParameters.MaxVelocity;
    20.             originalSpeedAccelerationOnGround = playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedAccelerationOnGround;
    21.             oringinalSpeedAccelerationInAir = playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedAccelerationInAir;
    22.             originalSpeedFactor = playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedFactor;
    23.             initializedParameters = true;
    24.         }
    25.     }
    27.     public void StartedTransition(int newRoomIndex, int prevRoomIndex)
    28.     {
    29.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.MaxVelocity = new Vector2(0,0);
    30.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedAccelerationOnGround = 0;
    31.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedAccelerationInAir = 0;
    32.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedFactor = 0;
    33.     }
    35.     public void EndedTransition(int newRoomIndex, int prevRoomIndex)
    36.     {
    37.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.MaxVelocity = originalMaxVelocity;
    38.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedAccelerationOnGround = originalSpeedAccelerationOnGround;
    39.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedAccelerationInAir = oringinalSpeedAccelerationInAir;
    40.         playercharacter.DefaultParameters.SpeedFactor = originalSpeedFactor;
    41.     }

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  24. GodsonTM

GodsonTM

The "Character" class has a built in "Freeze" method, is that what you're looking for?

reuno likes this.
  25. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

That is much simpler, thank you.

Code (CSharp):
    2.     Character character;
    4.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    5.     void Start()
    6.     {
    7.         var player = GameObject.Find("/Rectangle");
    8.         character = player.GetComponent<Character>();
    9.     }
    11.     public void StartedTransition(int newRoomIndex, int prevRoomIndex)
    12.     {
    13.         character.Freeze();
    14.     }
    16.     public void EndedTransition(int newRoomIndex, int prevRoomIndex)
    17.     {
    18.         character.UnFreeze();
    19.     }

26. reuno

reuno

27. Daiyu314

Daiyu314

Hi @reuno.

I can't see AmmoDisplay when attach "CharacterHandleSecondaryWeapon",
    maybe the "Secondary" is conflicting with the original "UpdateAmmoDisplay()"
    but I don't know how it making, help please!

28. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

Excuse me, do you remember what was his problem in the image? I just tried adding 2D Light trough the LWRP and it works in my Scene view, but my camera disappears whenever I import the LWRP or change my materials. The default UI and Fade In effect of the Corgi Camera works, but everything else is just that Unity blue background.

Maybe it's again because it's experimental.

Thank you!

P.S. Would the Corgi Engine work fine on 2019.3 and the new Universal Rendering Pipeline? Has anyone tested?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  29. reuno

reuno

@Daiyu314 > I'm not sure I understand your question. If the problem persists, please use the support form and provide repro steps, I'll be happy to help.
    @KriYorDev > That's likely the same issue. LWRP (or URP) doesn't support camera stacking, you'll have to figure that out yourself. The engine itself works well on every render pipeline (the engine doesn't do any rendering, all it does is move stuff around). The issue is these "experimental" render pipelines, they're the ones not working properly in this case :)

KriYorDev likes this.
  30. retrosonic

retrosonic

Hi hi!
    Is it working with current Unity beta version 2019.3?

31. reuno

reuno

retrosonic likes this.
  32. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

Yes, thank you for the answer. After you gave me that lead I researched a bit and apparently they should fix the camera stacking issues with the coming of 2019.4. A code injection into the URP could fix the issue but so far I am really wondering if my already relatively optimized mobile project would benefit that much from the URP to go trough all this trouble.

I also tried the engine with 2019.3 and URP (@retrosonic ), and everything worked except that I had to change the materials of the particle effects (No URP, no problems). From what I read Unity considers using only one camera to be more efficient but camera stacking seems to be quite a popular way to go for a lot of projects or am I behind the trends?

Just a follow up out of curiosity, do you plan on handling this in the future as a developer or camera stacking is still alright and we just have to wait for unity to fix their pipelines?

33. reuno

reuno

@KriYorDev > As I said, the engine doesn't do rendering. Whatever RP you use is up to you, the engine itself will work with all of them. Sure, you'll have to deal with whatever issues that comes with using something that is so experimental and broken, but the engine will keep working. Right now, in my opinion, these new RPs lack too many features to be considered production ready (camera stacking, being able to create post processing, not mentioning the many bugs they still have). And yeah I'm sure camera stacking will be added at some point, it's just a missing feature really.

KriYorDev likes this.
  34. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

Hey there! I just recently got this asset and I'm wondering if there's a preferred method to setting up new scenes and organizing them. Right now I'm thinking, would it be best to take the things needed for a minimal scene, change the settings to what I need and then use those tweaked prefabs for every scene?

35. reuno

reuno

@PhantomFox128 > It's all explained in the documentation, I'd suggest reading it. There are also many tutorials on youtube. But basically one of the ways to get started is to copy the minimal scene and start from there.

36. LordGraa

LordGraa

For those who have the same problem like me with Time.Timescale = 0 and Tilemap Collider creating a nasty lag (after you close pause menu or just set timescale back to 1 from 0), here is a final solution that is working like a charm:

Just add a Composite Collider 2D on all Tilemaps where are you using Tilemap Collider 2D. Check "Used by Composite" and set Rigidbody 2D to "Static".

This will remove the lag.

jurangov, Meowx, GodsonTM and 2 others like this.
  37. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

@reuno Hey, is it possible to create an enemy that could crawl on walls and ceilings with your asset?

38. reuno

reuno

@TimNedvyga > It's absolutely possible if you implement it. If you're asking if it's something that is built-in right now, then no. I seem to recall that a few users did that already and shared their solution, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

BossClaw likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

Just a small message to let you know that I keep getting support questions from people using Unity 2019.3.x. While I reproduce all their issues, none of them are due to the engine, and are just, sadly, bugs with Unity editor. Even the latest "pre release" is in a sorry state, and I wouldn't recommend switching to it right now. I'm sure all these bugs will be fixed for the actual release of .3, but until then I'd recommend waiting.

40. neptoonism

neptoonism

@reuno - loving the engine, it's fantastic - a masterpiece asset.
    From the get-go I wanted to use this with the new Universal Rendering Pipeline (URP/LWRP) and I'm using 2019.3 beta. The issue everyone using URP is the various 'Ui Camera' prefabs will show a blue background and block out the 'Regular Camera' (which is in the respective 'CameraRig' prefab for various demos). The reason is because 'camera stacking' is still not supported in URP/LWRP. edit - URP 7.2.1 has camera stacking and it means you can just change the 'render type' of the UICamera to 'overlay' and then add it to the 'Regular Camera's 'stack' - see https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...nes.universal@7.2/manual/camera-stacking.html

Generally you can just change the 'culling mask' on the camera with the blue background to include everything, but this doesn't work for Corgi Engine.
    What I did instead is just removed the 'Flair Layer' and 'Camera' components from each of the 'Ui Camera' prefabs, and changed the 'Render Camera' value on the 'Canvas' (where the inventory and health meter reside) to reference the 'Regular Camera' instead of the 'Ui Camera'.
    This seems to work more or less flawlessly, as now only the 'Regular Camera' is actually rendering and the inventory/health etc is still superimposed over it via the Canvas.
    I'd assume that there's some features that having the 'Ui Camera' provides which I don't get anymore, but I like having the option of being able to use URP - so this solution works fine for me.
    I'm curious what your thoughts are on this being a good workaround for others who want to use the new Universal Rendering Pipeline?

Also - if people using the 3d demos are having trouble with the pink colored objects using URP/LWRP, they can just select all of the materials in \Assets\CorgiEngine\Demos\Corgi3D\Materials and replace the shader with the 'SpeedTree8' shader which is under 'Packages\Universal RP\Shaders\Nature'.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    lambch0p, luiks, vitalya_kvas and 5 others like this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@bingbing642 > Yes, that's a valid way of solving the stacking issue.
    As for "pink" materials, Unity also provides an option to update all materials in a project to their U/HD/LW RP equivalent automatically (Edit > Render Pipeline > Update Project (or Selected) materials to whatever RP), which works with varied results depending on your context. That can help batch most of them.

42. GodsonTM

GodsonTM

Heya, I'm not sure if this was brought up before, but I accidentally stumbled across what I assume is a bug. But basically, if a character is ever set into a frozen or paused state while on the ground, the "hit the ground" effects/feedback are triggered again despite already being on the ground.

In my case, the landing animation just plays again. I did some investigation and all I can really figure out is that the "JustHitTheGround" check is still being called and is still returning true. I tested to see if this was also true in the examples, I only checked a few but it happens there too, it's just not noticeable because the characters in those examples have no feedback for hitting the ground.

I assume it has something to do with switching from any non "Normal" state, back to "Normal", but I figured I'd mention it and get some insight on it.

3yKB7r37qS.gif

43. reuno

reuno

@Kektastic > I don't reproduce your problem, even if most playable characters actually do have quite visible animations and/or feedbacks on hit the ground. Here's the RetroCorgi with default feedbacks (in this case more noticeable than yours) not reproducing the issue, in a fresh install of the latest version :

In general, if you think you've found a bug, please use the support form to report it, and provide exact repro steps, as well as basic context information (Unity version, engine version, etc). If the issue persists, don't hesitate to drop me a line providing these infos, maybe there's a use case I'm not aware of.

44. GodsonTM

GodsonTM

Hm, I think I figured it out, but I'll have to do some more digging. It looks like my player character's "Grounded" flag gets set to false when pausing/freezing, sometimes jumping and landing again can "fix" this and will stay grounded when pausing/freezing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out why that's happening. In case I end up figuring out the issue (and I'm able to replicate the problem/bug), where is the support form?

EDIT: So apparently it had something to do with the player's collider, I don't know why but the size/offset values weren't rounded. So I had values like "0.24593992", and I guess Unity/Corgi Engine didn't like that. At least, it's not playing the landing animation after pausing/freezing anymore

I was trying to tackle a completely different issue, and accidentally fixed this one. Funny how that works xD

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  45. reuno

reuno

@Kektastic > I doubt it has something to do with the unroundedness (not sure if it's a word). There's nothing on my side of things that would consider that an issue, and it's quite frequent to have to deal with numbers like that. But I'm glad it's working now. If you ever need the support form, it's on the asset's website.

46. GodsonTM

GodsonTM

I’ll try to experiment some more and if I find any correlation I’ll be sure to send a report and let you know. Thanks for the help though!

47. neptoonism

neptoonism

Sorry to continue posting, but this information will be helpful for others who wish to use 'corgi engine' with 2019.3 and URP. It's completely compatible, but there are 2 main problems.

1. Camera stacking is unsupported/implemented differently - you can't freely have 2 cameras superimposed over one another and all of the demo scenes have 'Regular' and 'UI' Cameras, as described in the documentation - the result is a blue background beneath the 'UI Camera' that covers up the 'Regular Camera'.
    2. The 'Flare Layer' component can break the build - it causes this error "Component of type GUI Layer is no longer available in Unity".

edit - camera stacking is supported in URP 7.2.1 - see https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...nes.universal@7.2/manual/camera-stacking.html - you can skip everything described here and just make 'UICamera's 'render type' set to 'overlay' and add it to the 'Regular Camera's 'stack'

These problems are solvable by going into each of the Camera prefabs for all of the demos and first removing the 'Flare Layer' components, and then going into each of the 'UI Camera' prefabs and removing all of the 'Camera' prefabs as well. Note that removing the 'Flare Layer' component first is necessary as its requiring the 'Camera'. Even one 'Flare Layer' remaining on any Camera on any scene that's included in your build will result in the #2 error - remove them all or uncheck the scenes that have them from your 'scenes in build' in the 'build settings'.

Also inside of each of the 'UI Cameras', you need to change the 'Render Camera' field in each 'Canvas' to 'Regular Camera'. This applies to 'Inventory Canvas' as well in some of the demos.

If you are building for mobile, you will also want to change the 'Target Camera' field in each 'MM Touch Joystick' to 'Regular Camera' as well.

Also, it's possible to selectively import the project settings that come with 'corgi engine' - you might want to do this if your intent is to use URP because 'corgi engine' will overwrite the 'linear' graphics setting in your build options and set it back to 'gamma' (which means you're using standard rendering again) among other things (graphics apis, apk signing etc). There are a few requirements to get the demos to work though.

1. You must install '2d pixel perfect', 'cinemachine', and 'post processing' via the 'package manager' as described in the documentation.
    2. You need the TagManager.asset file from the 'corgi engine' package - it contains all of the required layers and tags the demo scenes need.
    3. You need the InputManager.asset file from the package - it contains all of the input keys 'corgi engine' needs.
    4. You need the EditorBuildSettings.asset file from the package - this makes it so all 58 demos are added in your 'scenes in build' in the build settings.

Finally, you need the Physics2dSettings.asset file from the corgi engine package. The default 'y gravity' setting is -9.81, and the 'y gravity' in the corgi engine package is -30. If you don't have the gravity set that way, you'll find that for each of the 'retro' demos if the player dies, they go into a death loop where they are re-spawned and die, respawned and die forever.

These are the things I did to get the demos working on 2019.3.0f3 using the URP template. I hope these notes help other people who are trying to do the same thing with the wonderful corgi game engine!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    BossClaw, yakkaa and reuno like this.
  48. Zoo4125

Zoo4125

Hi, I've been using the Corgi Asset for a little while now and have a scene in Unity which is fully functional (character moves around the world I've created no problem in the "play window" However I recently tried to build it and my character can move but falls through all the platforms and ground I have in the built version of the game help attached is the error log for the build

Attached Files:

49. yunusbbayram

yunusbbayram

Proposal, request (situations to unlock level locks)

for example, coin 30 to move to the next level.
    or if you finish the level at this time, the next level is unlocked.
    and if these features can be shown on level cards.
    these features may be in later corgi engine versions.
    I apologize my English is not very good.

Attached Files:

50. reuno

reuno

@Zoo4125 > According to the log, looks like an error related to squash & stretch. I have to admit I have no idea what you can do to get it, and without more info there isn't much I can do. If the error persists, please provide more info via the support form, thanks.
    @yunusbbayram > What you describe can already be implemented, the engine comes with an API to lock / unlock levels. I don't plan on implementing all possible unlock conditions in demos though, it's too game specific, and that'd be a ton of demos.