Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. RolandoPT

RolandoPT

Hi, I made a pickable item that changes the number of jumps in the Jump component. Is there a build in way to not reset the values after respawning? If I die I can't double jump anymore.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. reuno

reuno

@RolandoPT > It's up to you to store that value and re-assign it whenever you need/want.

3. RolandoPT

RolandoPT

Yes I know, just wanted to ask if there is a setting for that since the permitted value from the abilities doesn't reset on respawn.

Thanks for the answer. Great support like always.

4. reuno

reuno

@RolandoPT > No, there's nothing automatic for that, I prefer letting that up to the user's decision to accomodate for all possible use cases. If it was automatic it'd get in the way of too many things.

5. Grafos

Grafos

Hi reuno, great news about v6. Do you have any update on adding pre/post jump functionality to characters, as you mentioned you would add it several versions ago?

6. reuno

reuno

@Grafos > It's still in the backlog. If more people request it, it'll get higher on the todo list, like every other request :)

Grafos likes this.
  7. Muppo

Muppo

Then it have my vote as well :)

Grafos and reuno like this.
  8. htkt208

htkt208

Hey reuno, I apologize for my pretty bad English.
    Dash in Corgi Engine distance is not the same between each dash.
    Is there any way to apply the distance for dash instead of using force?

9. reuno

reuno

@htkt208 > That shouldn't be the case, dash is distance based.
    Please use the support form and provide more details about your issue.

htkt208 likes this.
  10. htkt208

htkt208

Thank you for the quick reply. Maybe I should set Dash Force to lower.

11. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

@reuno I have came across this error when I have the Character Push Corgi Controller component on one of my characters. I noticed the error appears when the Character Type is selected as AI. But when it's set to Player the error doesn't appear.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.CharacterPushCorgiController.ProcessAbility () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/CharacterAbilities/CharacterPushCorgiController.cs:57)
    3. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.Character.ProcessAbilities () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/Core/Character.cs:321)
    4. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.Character.EveryFrame () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/Core/Character.cs:273)
    5. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.Character.Update () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/Core/Character.cs:260)

12. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > I don't reproduce that error on the few AIs I just tested on. I'd need more info, please use the support form and provide exact repro steps from any of the demo scenes, along with Unity version, asset version, etc, thanks.

gearedgeek likes this.
  13. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

Support Request has been submitted.

14. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > Thanks for the additional info, answered you via email.
    Just in case anybody else does the same mistake : don't check "button based" on AI abilities. AIs don't press buttons, and this will throw an error, that's normal.

15. Betzalel

Betzalel

add my vote as well!

Grafos and reuno like this.
  16. LOGames

LOGames

@reuno I'm having an issue with scene fading. In a new project with just corgi installed (2019.2) no scenes fade in. Fading out at the end of a level seems to work but then the next thing loaded will just pop on, and not fade.

17. reuno

reuno

@LOGames > Please use the support form if you think you've found a bug, and provide repro steps, thanks.

18. Asuraid

Asuraid

Hello! I have come back again, there's much progress that has been done since about two months ago, this is a non-finalized version of the game.

I do have another question since we're reaching into the polish stage and don't quite have a good idea how to approach this problem; stars at the moment stay collected even if the player dies, the way we'd like it to be is that stars only stay collected once you hit a checkpoint or the end of the level (of course, quitting a level mid-way wipes all the progress of the stars so checkpoints wouldn't be a "permanent" save).

Example, there is a checkpoint in the game and two stars; one star is between the start and checkpoint #1, the other is after checkpoint #1. If the player grabs star #1 but dies before hitting checkpoint #1, the star isn't saved as collected, but if they hit the checkpoint, it registers it as collected, even if they die further on in the level -- as long as they hit the checkpoint and collected the star, they have it. Same would go for star #2, if they collect it and die, the game doesn't register it as collected (but still remembers that star #1 was collected earlier).

We're just not sure how to tell the scripts to remember which stars were collected when checkpoints are hit. We might have an idea how to approach it but we'd thought to ask you to see if there is a more efficient and clean way to go about it.

EDIT: We actually did solve it in a short and sweet way by using two lists; one is a temporary list that keeps all the IDs of the stars until it hits a checkpoint, then transfers the integers of the star IDs to a permanent list before wiping itself clean for the next collection of IDs. The permanent list holds onto all the collected integers, and for each integer in it, it runs the function that was originally located on the "Pick" of the stars.

The StarID is received from the Star parent class. On a side note, the HuskyPluginManager is just a script that handles sending messages to other scripts.

RetroStar.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public class RetroStar : Star
    3.     {
    4.         /// <summary>
    5.         /// On Start we disable our star if needed
    6.         /// </summary>
    7.         protected override void Start()
    8.         {
    9.             base.Start ();
    10.             DisableIfAlreadyCollected ();
    11.         }
    12.         /// <summary>
    13.         /// Disables the star if it's already been collected in the past.
    14.         /// </summary>
    15.         protected virtual void DisableIfAlreadyCollected ()
    16.         {
    17.             foreach (RetroAdventureScene scene in RetroAdventureProgressManager.Instance.Scenes)
    18.             {
    19.                 if (scene.SceneName == SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name)
    20.                 {
    21.                     if (scene.CollectedStars.Length >= StarID)
    22.                     {
    23.                         if (scene.CollectedStars[StarID])
    24.                         {
    25.                             Disable ();
    26.                         }
    27.                     }
    28.                 }
    29.             }
    30.         }
    31.         /// <summary>
    32.         /// Disable this star.
    33.         /// </summary>
    34.         protected virtual void Disable()
    35.         {
    36.             this.gameObject.SetActive (false);
    37.         }
    38.         protected override void Pick()
    39.         {
    40.             // we send a new star event for anyone to catch
    41.             //CorgiEngineStarEvent.Trigger(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name, StarID);
    42.             HuskyPluginManager.instance.m_StarManager.AddToTempList(StarID);
    43.         }
    44.     }
    StarManager.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public class StarManager : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     public List<int> TempList;
    5.     public List<int> FinalList;
    6.     private void Start()
    7.     {
    8.         TempList = new List<int>();
    9.         FinalList = new List<int>();
    10.     }
    11.     // Add a star id to templist
    12.     public void AddToTempList(int id)
    13.     {
    14.         TempList.Add(id);
    15.     }
    16.     // Clear the temp list
    17.     public void ClearTempList()
    18.     {
    19.         TempList.Clear();
    20.     }
    21.     // This is called after checkpoints or on level completion, add templist to final list
    22.     public void FinalizeTempList()
    23.     {
    24.         foreach(var id in TempList)
    25.         {
    26.             FinalList.Add(id);
    27.         }
    28.         ClearTempList();
    29.     }
    30.     // This is called on level complete, register all stars in the final list
    31.     public void FinalizeAllStars()
    32.     {
    33.         foreach(var id in FinalList)
    34.         {
    35.             CorgiEngineStarEvent.Trigger(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name, id);
    36.         }
    37.     }
    38. }
    The game then recognizes the stars that have been collected properly. The public functions are all called in different places, temp ones are called on the pick function in the stars, the function to transfer from temp list to permanent list is at the checkpoint, and the finalizing happens on the gate to the next level.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  19. reuno

reuno

@Asuraid > That sounds like a good way of doing that, thanks for sharing this!

20. Negrat

Negrat

Hi Reuno, the new feedback system sounds cool.
    I have one question: will we be able to add multiple feedback components to the same ability?
    For example, one for the start of the jump and another for the end of the jump.

21. reuno

reuno

@Negrat > This is exactly how it works :)
    Every ability (barred a few exceptions) get two feedbacks : AbilityStartFeedbacks and AbilityStopFeedbacks, that get triggered when the ability starts and stops. Of course all abilities can also declare extra feedbacks (Character has "just Touched the ground" feedback, for example).
    The cool thing with that is that you can use the StartFeedbacks to play stuff once, at the start, or have a feedback for the duration of the ability, as they get stopped on Stop.

So out of the box you can have the following behaviour for, let's say, the Run ability :
    - dust explosion on start
    - "let's go" sfx when you start running
    - dust behind your character as it runs
    - fast footsteps sound as it runs
    - opposite direction explosion when you stop

And with something like 30 different feedbacks available, some of them quite complex, there's no limit to what you can do :)

22. Fabioisriva

Fabioisriva

finally a proper native cinemachine integration ;) looking forward official release

reuno likes this.
  23. andrin2020

andrin2020

I recently added the lightweight render pipeline to my project in order to test out the new 2D lights and noticed when I did this the interaction between the UI camera and the main camera was lost. The UI camera overrides the main camera such that the level and gameplay is not visible as if the canvas the UI is on is opaque. If I turn off the UI camera the main camera is visible again but of course the UI will not be. I can not find a work around for this and it resolves if I remove the LWRP from the project. This occurs in my own levels as well as the example levels provided.

Any thoughts?

Using 2019.2.1f1 and Corgi 5.4

24. reuno

reuno

25. luigi7

luigi7

I have a working prototype about this ability actually now: tried to stay inside corgi architecture writing another ability, starting from dash ability and adding the suck part, not very difficult but tricky (when the code will be better to read, i'll share it). Basically it begins as a normal dash (with a distance, cooldown...), if the player meets a suckable object stop the dash and begins the suck part where the two characters cant move until the suck ends (you have to keep an input push frequency to suck or the suck ends and the player is knocked back).
    About the damage part, there is a melee weapon that gets activated 1+ times at given intervals, and everything works extending the characterhandleweapon ability.

reuno likes this.
  26. wayloon

wayloon

Hi @reuno, I have a question, I pause the game by pressing the ESC button in the RetroAI scene. Wait about 30 seconds and then press ESC to cancel the pause.Can see that the game won't run right away.

The version I am using is Unity 2019.2.1f1,The version of CorginEngine is v5.5.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  27. reuno

reuno

@wayloon > Looks like a Unity physics spike. Apparently it's a (not well) known issue with rigidbodies and zero timescale. I'll dig into it, but I'm not 100% sure it's something I can fix on my side. Thanks for reporting this.

28. reuno

reuno

@wayloon > Seems to come from the tilemap platforms rigidbody, which is sadly required by the CompositeCollider. The engine itself doesn't rely on rigidbodies so I was wondering why it happened. Now I know :) I'll see if there's anything I can do about it. If you replace it with regular colliders, coming back from pause is instant.

29. wayloon

wayloon

Hi @reuno ,Thank you for finding the problem so quickly. I also use Tilemap in my project. Can I solve this problem without giving up the tilemap? This demand sounds quite troublesome:D.

30. reuno

reuno

@wayloon > It's an issue outside of the scope of the engine. I don't know if Unity would consider that a bug or not, but they're the ones you should ask. The only solution I've found is to replace the tilemap collider with something else (handmade or computed "normal" colliders that don't have to rely on a rigidbody).

31. wayloon

wayloon

@reuno, I understand. I will go to consult the official members of Unity.If not, I will follow your advice. You still solved my problem,Thank you again for your help !

reuno likes this.
  32. Meowx

Meowx

5.5 to 6.0, that's quite the jump!

Do we have a way to extend CharacterStates.cs yet, or is that still on the to-do list?

Keep up the great work!!

33. reuno

reuno

@Meowx > No, I don't believe there is an easier and more convenient way of doing it right now without raising the bar too high for newcomers.

34. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just pushed v6.0 of the Corgi Engine to the Asset Store!

It's a major update, that comes with a ton of new features, enhancements to existing features, as well as, as usual, bug fixes for all known bugs to date.

A few major things to note :

- this version requires 2019.2. If you're on an older version of Unity, it's probably possible to update, but you'll have to manually grab the install from 2019.2, copy the files to your old folder, and deal with the possible conflicts (which, depending on what version you're at, could be non existent or many).

- this version is the first of the Corgi Engine to depend on Unity packages, just like the TopDown Engine before it. This adds an extra, manual step to the install process. If you follow the documentation or readme, that's one copy paste in the explorer, so it should be relatively easy :) Let me know if you run into issues with that.

- this version completely changes the way the abilities (and health, and a few other things) trigger sound effects and particles. It's all now centralized in the much more powerful MMFeedbacks system. This means that all previously setup sfx and particles will have to be setup again. That's a drag and drop away, but if you have a lot of stuff, this may be a tedious task. I've had to do that for 60+ demo scenes and almost as many characters, it wasn't necessarily a fun morning. But it comes with so much added potential that I think it's worth it. This is by far the most "breaking" change, the rest should be relatively painless if you choose to udpate. But whatever you do, please, make a backup first (or better, use version control).

Here are the full release notes. As usual, expect a few days of delay before the update hits the store. I hope you'll like it as much as I do!

- Adds the CinemachineCameraController class that provides native support for Cinemachine. All Retro and RetroAdventure demos now use Cinemachine
    - Adds PickableActions, a new type of pickable items that triggers actions when picked
    - Adds the ButtonActivator class, that you can put on any objects to activate ButtonActivated classes (that no longer necessarily require a Character), allowing for many puzzle creation options
    - Adds the AppearDisappear class, that lets you create objects on an appearing / disappearing cycle, usually platforms but can be used for anything, and an example of that at the start of the RetroForest demo scene.
    - Adds the MMFaderRound class, a new way to transition between scenes, made famous by Mario games
    - Adds post processing volumes and layers to most scenes (still completely optional).
    - Adds built-in support for MMFeedbacks, a super easy way to add all sorts of feedbacks (visual, sound, animations, particles, transform based, post processing, screenshakes, etc)
    - Adds MMFeedbacks (and replaces legacy and limited sfx or particles triggers) for Health, DamageOnTouch, Weapons, ButtonActivatedZones, PickableItems, Teleporters, Jumpers and Character abilities. Need feedbacks anywhere else? Drop me an email, I'll be happy to add more.
    - Adds a prefab finder in the editor, letting you find prefabs with missing scripts or prefabs of a certain type (useful if you want to port an old project to the MMFeedbacks system)
    - Adds the CharacterDetector class that lets you know and trigger events when characters (and players) enter/stay/exit an area
    - Adds support for stompable in multiplayer games, and an example of that in the Minimal4Players demo scene
    - Adds a TargetOffset to AIActionShoot, allowing you to control more finely how AI characters aim at targets
    - Adds more options to the MMFPSUnlock component
    - Button Activated Zones can now self-disable after their last use.
    - Improves button prompts, better architecture and performance, and can't get stuck mid way when entering / exiting a zone quickly anymore
    - Adds the Airborne animation parameter, a boolean that gets true when your character gets higher than a customizable height
    - Adds a customizable ComboInProgress animation parameter to combo weapons
    - Improves ButtonActivated zones by adding more action requirements options, bindable actions on activation, exit and stay, and native MMFeedbacks support.
    - Adds more options for key bindings to InventoryInputManager
    - Adds an option for moving platforms to start (and keep) moving when a player collides with them, even if the player exits the platform afterwards.
    - Adds input buffering to CharacterHandleWeapon, allowing for easier chained attacks.
    - Adds scale clamps to MMSquashAndStretch, and adds Squash and Stretch behaviour to the RetroCorgi demo character
    - Adds a new animator for the RetroCorgi character, showcasing a different and more traditional way of setting up animations and transitions
    - Animation parameter strings are now hashed
    - ComboWeapon's ResetCombo method is now public to allow for combo cancel from external abilities
    - MMTimeManager now also modifies delta time values to match the new timescale, improving rigidbodies behaviour
    - Improves the way items get added to the inventory when existing items are already present
    - Adds public bounds dimensions getters to CorgiController
    - Moves a small value distance check in the CorgiController that increases accuracy at a small cost
    - Improves the accuracy of the controller's stick to slope feature
    - Caches a few references across the board for performance
    - CharacterAbility's StopAbilityUsedSfx() is now public
    - Health now forces any delayed destruction to cancel for added safety
    - Adds native support for MMFeedbacks for Weapons
    - Adds better fade control across the board (finer control over curves, timescale, etc)
    - Adds the SetTransform method to CorgiController, a way for abilities to move the controller "safely" to a new position
    - Fixes a bug that could cause erroneous weapon placement when using rotating models, nested weapon attachments and picking weapons from the right
    - Fixes a bug that would result in the incorrect force being applied when walljumping input independently on certain walls
    - Fixes a wrongly setup xbox axis
    - Fixes a few dash plus looking up related bugs
    - Removes missing scripts from (very) old prefabs
    - Fixes the comments of the Hittable class.
    - Fixes a bug that would happen when jumping down a 1way platform while WallClinging was set to InputIndependent
    - Fixes a bug that would cause a wrong wall jump when InstantAcceleration was active.
    - Fixes a typo in ButtonActivated's UnlimitedActivations
    - Prevents a bug that could cause items on a path to be dropped at the wrong position
    - Prevents a weapon from still applying a movement modifier after having been destroyed
    - Fixes a typo in MMInput
    - Prevents a bug that could cause inventory screens from being interactable when hidden under a certain setup
    - Fixes a typo in the LevelSelection scene
    - Fixes a bug that could prevent properly displaying melee weapons gizmos

35. RandomSpell

RandomSpell

I'm trying to enable the CharacterHandleWeapon script using the following code but I'm not having any luck.

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also, would this be the best way to enable/disable a script?

Thanks

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using MoreMountains.Tools;
    6. namespace MoreMountains.CorgiEngine
    7. {
    9.     public class EnableWeaponScript : MonoBehaviour
    11.     {
    12.         private CharacterHandleWeapon Weapon;
    14.         void Start()
    15.         {
    16.             Weapon = GetComponent<CharacterHandleWeapon>();
    17.             Weapon.enabled = false;
    18.         }
    20.         void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D target)
    21.         {
    22.             if (target.tag == "WeaponZone" && Weapon.enabled == false)
    23.             {
    24.                 Weapon.enabled = true;
    25.             }
    26.         }
    28.     }
    29. }

36. reuno

reuno

@RandomSpell > Without even knowing what's not working it's hard to tell.
    I'd recommend doing that the other way around. You usually want to put zone specific scripts on the zone, not on the character. You'll find plenty of examples of that in the engine.

37. RandomSpell

RandomSpell

I'll try that thanks

38. RandomSpell

RandomSpell

I did this and it worked... kind of. The script went from disabled to enabled however, the script was not functioning. I could not attack or see any animations. Is there some sort of runtime refresh that I need to activate?

39. reuno

reuno

@RandomSpell > Runtime refresh? No, there's no such thing.
    I'm guessing you didn't call initialization though, that'd explain it, but without context it's just a wild guess.
    You might want to have a look at the class you're enabling to understand how it works.
    If you have more questions, please use the support form, thanks.

40. boorch

boorch

Hi!
    Any ETA for 6.0?

41. reuno

reuno

@boorch > Unfortunately I don't have one.
    The asset's been submitted to the store two days ago now, and over the last 5 years, acceptance by Unity has taken anywhere between a day and more than a month. I don't get any info until the asset is live on the store, and can't predict when that will be, it seems completely random.

42. reuno

reuno

@boorch > And it's out! Apparently you just had to ask :)

mccann and boorch like this.
  43. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

has tihis asset a complete save system?

44. reuno

reuno

@JC_LEON > I guess that depends on what you mean by "complete save system". It has a SaveLoadManager, that you can use to save and load your data. You'll find examples of that in use, there's an achievements save mechanic, inventory persistence, and progress save. It's virtually limitless.

45. Grafos

Grafos

Hmmmm... don't see it in my updates. Going to the Corgi asset store page, it reads
    Version: v5.5 • Aug 27, 2019
    but the changelog is the one you posted for v6. Is it the same for anyone else or is it just me?

46. reuno

reuno

@Grafos > It's v6.0 alright, there's an issue with the listing on the store at the moment.
    I'm working on it, trying to figure out what the issue is.
    To know what version you have, just check the readme, this one can't fail :)

47. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

hi and thanks for your reply about "complete save load system" i mean inventory persistence between level aswell player progresses save between levels too..
    and is there the chance to have checkpoints in the level itself?

48. Grafos

Grafos

Readme actually says v5.5.

49. reuno

reuno

@JC_LEON > There are checkpoints in the level. You can see a full list of features on the asset's page, and learn more about it in the documentation.
    @Grafos > Then you have v5.5.
    I'd suggest reading the first, highlighted item of the FAQ then, it'll likely solve your problem.
    If it doesn't, please let me know!

50. boorch

boorch

My Asset Store window did not get updated on Corgi Engine page when using Unity 2019.1.
    After updating to 2019.2, the "import" button turned to "update".

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019