Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v6.1 : auto scrolling levels, and more]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. luigi-freguglia

luigi-freguglia

@reuno I need an ability that we could call "Suck", like the vampire suck: the player press something, the character does a movement like dash and, if within a distance meets a "suckable" enemy, starts a sequence where the player stops and drains some life from the enemy and the enemy blocks while is sucked. That sequence could go on if the player keeps pressing repeatedly the key, anyway the ability activated should depend from both player and enemy.
    I'd like to make it an ability, but it's a combination of movement (like dash) and attack (like a melee weapon) plus some logic to do the rest, and at least a component/ability on the enemy too.
    Any advice? Maybe it's something you could insert in the todo list :)

2. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > I have to admit that's the first time something remotely like this is requested. It's extremely specific. I can add it to the todo list but I doubt it'll ever reach the amount of votes needed to make it into a release :)
    But yeah it's a dash and an attack, mostly. You seem on the right path.

luigi-freguglia likes this.
  3. pjooren

pjooren

Ok. Got it. So then here's the issue I'm having. I was using the weapon aim script and setting the min and max angle on a grenade launching weapon to a specific angle so that I could get a nice lobbing effect for the projectile. That's why the gravity zone not flipping that angle is becoming an issue. If there were another way to control the angle of the weapon or the angle the projectile leaves the weapon, that would solve my issue, but everything I've tried isn't working. It's like without the Weapon Aim script, the gun and projectiles are fixed to the x axis.

4. reuno

reuno

@pjooren > Indeed without weapon aim you can't aim.
    That said you there are multiple ways to do what you're after and have a fixed angle to shoot at :
    - extend projectile weapon to apply that angle on shoot directly
    - use weapon aim in script mode and have another script on that weapon apply whatever angle you want at all times or on shoot depending on what you're after

5. unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

Hi! I love the asset!
    This is really incredible and fast i was thinking... maybe better tutorials or more especific it may be necessary.

I have a bug... When you are atacking and you move sometimes the character doesn't play de animation but the atack execute anyway.
    There a solution?

6. reuno

reuno

@unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g > If an animation doesn't play it's usually an animator issue. There must be something preventing your transition to death to play. Fixing your transitions settings will get rid of the issue. You can learn more about Unity's animator on their website, it's just standard Unity at this point. The usual suspects are usually transition times and "has exit time" settings.

7. unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

In fact, it happens in all the demos that the asset brings :/

8. reuno

reuno

@unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g > If you think you've found a bug, please use the support form to report it, and provide repro steps, I'll be happy to have a look at it.

9. kor_

kor_

This might be a simple question, but why is my 3D model in the 2.5D level facing away from the screen? The rotation is the same as in the "Soldier3DRed" (also changing the rotation of the models doesn't do anything; it's always facing away from the screen). Should I rotate the model with Blender etc?

10. reuno

reuno

@kor_ > You should nest your model, as explained in the documentation, and as shown in all the 2.5D examples provided with the asset. It's probably the issue here, but without any info it's quite hard to tell what's wrong. Please use the support form from now on, and provide some details / screenshots, thanks.

11. Psishe228

Psishe228

Hello, I came across a rather tangible problem and I don’t know what this may be connected with. At levels above the average, with a large number of different elements, after leaving the pause there is a noticeable lag. If you minimize the game and do not enter for a few minutes, it may stop altogether when opening it. It was checked on 6 different machines and everywhere the same problem. Perhaps the reason is something simple and you can help me. Thank you in advance! I use a Unity 2018.4 and a Corgi Engine 5.5

12. reuno

reuno

@Psishe228 > Please use the support form if you think you've found a bug, and provide steps to reproduce your issue, thanks! I'd need more details here, such as what you mean by "lag", or on what kind of build you're running into this, for example. All the pause does is set the timescale to 0, and if you look at the profiler you'll see that not much happens afterwards, or on unpause. If you could provide more data of what exactly happens that'd help start to understand what your issue may be.
    It's also unlikely you're running v5.5 of the engine on 2018.4, as it requires 2019.1.
    In any case, the more info you can provide via the support form, the best I'll be able to help.

13. Psishe228

Psishe228

I was able to solve my problem, it came from the big unity tilemaps, I forgot to use the composite collider, everything works as it should, thanks!

14. reuno

reuno

@Psishe228 > I'm glad you figured it out, thanks for letting me know!

15. SupremeSmash

SupremeSmash

Just bought the Corgi Engine and watched some tutorials - I cant get my character to flip on direction change

16. reuno

reuno

@SupremeSmash > Please use the support form for support questions like these, and please explain your problem. This video doesn't show anything, I can't guess what you did wrong from it.
    You may want to read the documentation first, it explains in details how to do that by the way.
    You can also look at the many examples provided with the asset first.

SupremeSmash likes this.
  17. knuppel

knuppel

Hello,
    I'd like to change the target layer mask of a follower at runtime:
    makeazombie.GetComponent<MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.AIShootOnSight>().TargetLayerMask = LayerMask.NameToLayer("Player");
    But in inspector at AiShootOnSight Target Layer Mask is "Mixed...".

18. reuno

reuno

@knuppel > It's mixed because you have more than one layer in your layermask (which is completely normal).
    You need to create a layer mask to feed it. You'll find plenty of examples of that throughout the engine.
    One of the ways to do that is to set that manually on your class via its inspector. Declare a public Layermask variable, set it, and feed it to the engine's one.
    Alternatively you can build it manually like so https://answers.unity.com/questions/1103210/how-to-add-layer-to-layer-mask.html

19. Grafos

Grafos

I am trying to make my first timeline cinematic. The cinematic is triggered by the player, but it seems the player object has to already be in the scene to be able to use it in the timeline editor. Since you can't have that with corgi, as it instantiates the player after the game starts, how can I go about doing this?

20. reuno

reuno

@Grafos > You can either use the Timeline API to feed it the character, or substitute the actual player with a copy for the duration of your timeline sequence.

21. Boopity

Boopity

Regarding luigi's bloodsuck request - I think it's not as specific as it may seem. Though the context is obviously specific to their game, it's just a grapple mechanic where you and an enemy can perform limited actions once you're in a grappling/grappled state. It's a little niche, but it would be a great addition to many combat-oriented games. Even basic platformers could make use of enemies that can grapple the player. The ability to drain health is just a generic property that would be attached to weapons.

Also, I just wanted to hear if there were any updates on a map feature? Searching through the thread, it seems as though it doesn't get quite enough support to be implemented. On this topic, I just want to say that while many games may not need a map, the games that do need one absolutely need one. Metroidvanias are the obvious example here - a map is pretty much 100% required for that genre. To make matters worse, a look at the asset store reveals that there aren't really any 2D metroidvania-style map assets available. This means that anyone hoping to make a metroidvania would probably need to look elsewhere unless they wish to program their own map system. Best you can do is to get Platformer Pro, at which point you obviously wouldn't be using Corgi. Of course, TopDown Engine would also benefit from a map system for the Zelda-like games so it's a 2-for-1!

22. reuno

reuno

@nkinstler > Thanks for your feedback!

The engine already comes with the base mechanics required to do a grappling state. You can freeze and/or grip a character to transform, the rest is game specific, and the engine won't get in your way. That's what I was referring to.

As for the minimap, I agree that quite a few genres would benefit from one, but over all the productions I've worked on, that's one of the things that is the hardest to mutualize. The reason for that is that it's closely tied to the way you create your levels. The engine is agnostic in that regard, and will let you work with tiles, 3D models, handpainted 2D elements, generated stuff like Ferr2D, procedural levels, etc. Creating a system that would support all of these, and all the possible ways of doing a map (one scene, multi scenes link, abstract, realistic mapping of obstacles, etc) would be a massive task, and wouldn't provide much value as it still wouldn't be a fit for most use cases. Just like UI, a minimap is very specific to each game, I don't believe in a magic solution for it, and that's likely the reason why there aren't many on the store. One version of it only would be useless for 99% of people.

23. reuno

reuno

It's the third time this week that I get asked via email how to pause the game at the very start of a level, so I thought I'd share the answer here as well :

All you have to do to pause the game is trigger a pause event.
    Doing that on Start or Awake is bound to cause issues though as most classes are initializing at that time.
    You can wait one more frame, or have your class run last by changing its execution order.

Here's a demo class that does that (changing the execution order has to be done via the editor) :

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using MoreMountains.CorgiEngine;
    5. using MoreMountains.Tools;
    7. /// <summary>
    8. /// A test class that triggers a pause on start or on demand
    9. /// If you have a fader in your scene, chances are it's dark on start and covering the UI
    10. /// If that's the case, just move your Pause splash over the fader
    11. /// </summary>
    12. public class TestClass : MonoBehaviour
    13. {
    14.     [InspectorButton("Pause")]
    15.     public bool PauseButton;
    17.     public virtual void Pause()
    18.     {
    19.         CorgiEngineEvent.Trigger(CorgiEngineEventTypes.Pause);
    20.     }
    22.     protected virtual void Start()
    23.     {
    24.         // Comment one of the following depending on how you want it to work:
    26.         // Either trigger a pause here, but make sure your script's execution or
    27.         Pause();
    29.         // Or wait til next frame to do so, once everything has been properly initialized
    30.         StartCoroutine(PauseCoroutine());
    31.     }
    33.     protected virtual IEnumerator PauseCoroutine()
    34.     {
    35.         yield return null;
    36.         Pause();
    37.     }
    38. }

Muppo likes this.
  24. petvenger

petvenger

Hi @reuno .I bought this package.I downloaded latest version 5.5 but I can't find RetroAI scene which introdution new feature in this version.

25. reuno

reuno

@petvenger > It's likely not 5.5 then. I'd recommend reading the first, highlighted item of the FAQ (the one marked with "please read this"). If that doesn't solve your problem please let me know!

26. petvenger

petvenger

I have read about the new features in new v5.0 include: Advanced AI system ,the new HealthBar system.But when i donwnload latest verison on asset store I can't find AI system and some of scene like this video.

27. reuno

reuno

28. petvenger

petvenger

@reuno .I have read FAQ but it don't have which I need.I'm using unity 2017.4.20f2 and it compatibility with latest verison corgi engine.Thanks for support.
    upload_2019-7-27_21-53-37.png

PS: I have read again about this: Package has been submitted using Unity 5.3.5, 5.4.1, 5.5.0, 5.6.0, 5.6.1, 2017.1.0, 2017.2.0, 2017.3.0, 2018.1.0, 2018.2.6, 2018.3.4, and 2019.1.0 to improve compatibility with the range of these versions of Unity.
    And I don't see support version Unity which I'm using.Is this reason I can't get AI System?

29. reuno

reuno

@petvenger > That's exactly what's explained in the FAQ I pointed you at twice now. You need a more recent version of Unity if you want to get the more recent versions of the engine. And as explained in the FAQ, you can check what version of Unity each version of the engine requires on the Releases page.

30. petvenger

petvenger

Thanks @reuno for support.After I installed verison unity 2018 it's done.:):):)

reuno likes this.
  31. christougher

christougher

Hi @reuno just noticed the player 1-4 controller package isn't on your integration site. :)

32. reuno

reuno

33. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

I have a question about the AI aiming. I have noticed that the AI is not aiming at the center of the player. Is there a way to adjust the AI position for aiming? Basically the AI is aim at the player's feet.

34. EHEBrandon

EHEBrandon

The full documentation doesn't seem top be loading correctly its just a blank page and I tried several web browsers. Also I'm more of the artsy and animation type and have hardly any code knowledge so how easy is it to pick up for someone with little to no code knowledge? I do have some experience with visual scripting with PlayMaker.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  35. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > The AI aims (by default) at the player's transform. It'd be very easy to extend the AIActionShoot class to add a Vector3 offset to it, for example. I can add that to the todo list if you want.
    @EHEBrandon > Please don't hesitate to use the support form when you can't reach the documentation. I looked at the uptime history and there were no issues over the last month - it's hosted on github pages, it's virtually never down. So not sure what the issue was here, but I'd be happy to help if you gave me more details. As for how easy it is to pick up, that really depends on you, your goals, and your will/abilities to learn, it's hard to answer that question for someone else. Maybe look at the many tutorials to get a better idea of how the engine works :)

36. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

@reuno That would be great if you could add that option for the AI. When you add it to the todo list, what does that mean? You will add it in the next update?

37. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > That means it gets added to a backlog. Then it gets prioritized for each update, mostly depending on frequency of requests (so far you're the first to make that request), and the value the feature brings. If it's something super easy to extend (like this, which is just a Vector3), it usually doesn't get top priority because it's something that most people usually solve on their own.
    I try to add a few of these to each release, so depending on how much stuff is in the backlog at the time of the update, it may or may not make it in the immediate next update.

38. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

@reuno I see. That's what I was figuring but I just wanted to ask.

reuno likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > I just added aiming offset to the next release :)

40. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

@reuno That's awesome! Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to it. :)

reuno likes this.
  41. EHEBrandon

EHEBrandon

I think I'm starting to understand the engine well. I have a few questions however two questions kind of relate to inventory.

1. I know Inventory Engine allows you to equipped armor and weapons is there a way to make it so we can have a separate way to equip armor for head, body, legs, and feet? How would I approach that?

2. Say if you have several weapons that are both melee and ranged is their anyway to control their damage and range variables? I haven't gotten to far in the tutorial yet so it may be covered but I just want to make sure for loot reasons.

3. Are we able to have ranged weapons like guns, bows, etc...be controlled by the player using the mouse to aim up and down? This may be a dumb question just haven't gotten to the steps for attack properties yet. Just want to make sure its possible.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  42. reuno

reuno

@EHEBrandon > 1. As explained in the documentation, you can create an inventory for each of these. You have examples of an armor slot, just create a legs slot, etc.
    2. Yes, of course you can control these, that's defined per weapon and/or ammo.
    3. Of course you can have ranged weapons. Everything's possible if you want to. The engine is built to be extended. For a complete list of all that is built-in, you can check the list of features on the asset's page, or the documentation, it'll be faster than asking here :)

43. Miketysonjr

Miketysonjr

hello, i put my background into scene and using background element... but my background is very long and i want it gradually scroll from left to right so i use parallax element instead ... the problem is when i jump or grounding , the background seem be hitched ,lag ...its not smooth as when i use background element , how do i fix this ? @@

44. reuno

reuno

@Miketysonjr > Without any details I don't know what's wrong here, there's no known issue with the parallax system, it's quite simple actually (and has been in the engine since v1), so I have no idea what could make it hitched. Maybe compare with the Mesa demo scenes, they also use massive textures as background, and work properly.
    If the problem persists please use the support email, and provide exact steps to reproduce your problem from a fresh install, thanks.

45. EHEBrandon

EHEBrandon

Thank you so much. Have you ever considered creating a discord server for the engine? So that way it can bring a tighter community together for the engine to have general chat, showcase, and help section?

46. reuno

reuno

47. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

@reuno Is the Character Swap compatible with Rewired?

48. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > I'm not sure I see the link between a character swapping ability and Rewired, sorry. What do you mean?

49. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

@reuno I'm using Rewired for the controls. It's working but I'm having issue with the Character Swap. I have added the Character Swap manager to the scene. I have added the Character Swap component to both of my characters then placed them into the scene. When I play the project I'm controlling both characters in the scene at the same time. So I have placed one of the Rectangle prefabs from the example scene and one of my characters and it works as long as I press P to swap between characters. I have added the SwapCharacter action to the Rewired Prefab and assigned it to a different button.

50. reuno

reuno

@gearedgeek > I've never used Rewired, I don't know what the issue is.
    I'd suggest you ask Rewired about it, they'll probably know what this is about.