Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

unity brainFart. I removed the inputManager. Restarted unity, readded an inputManager. Works

Didn't wanted to annoy you sorry !

But it was not that i didn't tried i literally looked my scene side by side and couldn't figure it out

reuno likes this.
  2. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno I've got another odd question for you. How can I make the character start the level attached to a bidirectional ladder? I've got some crazy level ideas Thanks again for your time.

3. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > You'll have to implement it. Surprisingly that's not built in :)

4. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Here is a question, that may be simple...

Say you have a character that is 32x32. His weapon is self contained within that 32x32.
    Then he has a whip, which has a space of 32x64.

In my experience, the character automatically defaults by "going left backwards", instead of standing the same position and projecting the extra tiles "outward" if that makes sense.

In other words, in a game with 2d characters that short range weapons and long... how do you make it so the positioning of the animation doesn't "push" the animation backwards and instead projects the tiles forward?

5. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > It's usually about having a common center across your animations. There are multiple examples of that throughout the engine if you want to have a look. But that really depends on how you build your characters.
    Note that this has nothing to do with the engine, it's really a generic Unity / animation question, you'll probably get more answers in the dedicated part of the forum :)

6. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

I think I do, and I posted there also... but yeah, my character skips a tile backwards when he uses a longer range weapon.

7. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

No other animations have the issues that are 32x32.

8. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > As I said, it's likely because you haven't aligned your animations properly. They need to share a common center. There are other ways to do it of course, feel free to do it differently.

9. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

His base is the same as the main melee attack, it just extends an extra tile.

10. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Again, likely a centering issue. Not sure what else to tell you at this point :)

11. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Yeah, I may have to extend it to three tiles to handle it being centered.

12. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Also... as far as the particles on the weapon, does that work with a sprite animation? Because I've tried and the particles don't appear when used. Say I want a particle trail. Does it work when you are doing all your animations for weapons separately?

{EDIT}
    I corrected my centering problem.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  13. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > I'm not sure I understand your question, but I don't think it's specific to the Corgi Engine. Particles can work with sprites or anything else I guess. It's Unity :)

14. RAIN_proger

RAIN_proger

Hi, Reuno! How can I make my character to slide when he is standing on a platform which has angle more then my character's max slope angle? Example: I jumped to some platform with angle 70, and my max slope angle is 50, so my character must to slide on this platform.

sorry for my english

15. reuno

reuno

@RAIN_proger > That's not a feature of the engine right now, and surprisingly has not been requested much before. I can move it up a little on the todo list. In the meantime you can implement it if you want, it shouldn't be too hard. The engine already gives you the angle of the slope you're on, you just need to apply a force from there. Knowing the angle and direction of the slope, it should be a one liner (depending on what exactly you're after).

16. RAIN_proger

RAIN_proger

okay, I'll try to do like you said. Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  17. tysonwills

tysonwills

is it possible to use the pathed projectile to have a static gun that fires and targets the player when in range.
    If so how do i go about it.

18. Ordnas006

Ordnas006

19. tysonwills

tysonwills

looks good Ordnas006 how did you do the rain effect

20. reuno

reuno

@tysonwills > I wouldn't recommend a pathed script to target a moving target... But sure it's doable. Not something that can be easily summed up in a forum post though, you'll have to implement it.
    @Ordnas006 > These are some really nice animations, congrats! And thanks a lot for sharing this!

21. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

@reuno Hello there ! When to expect the next update ? After "The Revolution" That is really a revolution I reckon. A few features are missing like a fly patrol action AI and some tiny things like ledge grab and a slide crouch dash, I know @skayster asked for a feature like that. That would truly gives corgi a fantastic feel. Oh yeah, is there something to get breakable objects to spawn items ? Thanks for your hard work.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  22. reuno

reuno

@MisterDeum > As explained in the FAQ (and in many of the 87 pages of this topic), I don't give ETAs. Things get released when they're working and properly tested. Note that I have 400+ items in my todo list right now, so there are indeed a lot of things still to add. As usual in what order they'll arrive will depend on the number of requests they've received so far.

NEHWind2 likes this.
  23. Cloggin

Cloggin

Hi reuno,

Once again I'm trying weird combinations of common elements. I searched through this thread and haven't seen this called out yet.

Two notes:
    (1) it seems as if the Jumper component doesn't always launch the player at the required velocity. And you can see this a lot when (2) Adding a jumper to a moving platform has unexpected results.

For a 3 node path, I'm looking to add a jumper only when the platform is at its highest point (propelling the character upwards into the unknown). Instead, the player just hops a little (most of the time) and once in a while will actually be launched into oblivion. Is there some gravity equation or something I'm not anticipating?

As far as I've thought through this, perhaps the momentum of the platform (then delaying for 2sec at one node where a jumper is attached) inteferes with the jumper's added momentum? Maybe?

Have you encountered this (or have a better means to approach a moving platform paired with a jumper at a particular Y value)?

Cheers!

24. Ordnas006

Ordnas006

I use Rain Maker from the Asset Store and a trigger that, when a character enters, sets some parameters to the Rain Maker prefab (in Dungeon Pixel case I set the rain intensity to Lerp towards 0).

reuno likes this.
  25. reuno

reuno

@Cloggin > These 2 components have not been designed to work together, so that's no surprise. If you look at their code you'll understand why.
    If you want your last platform to have the character thrown in the air, there are many ways to do it. Either activate the actual character's jump ability, or create your own component that first detaches from the platform (there's no such thing as momentum in the engine, your character is just attached to the platform).

Cloggin likes this.
  26. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Is it possible to have a character collide with another character of the same layer type? My scenario is that I want to be able to leave dead bodies behind and have them serve as platforms when the player re-spawns. But, if the player dies while standing on one of these dead bodies, I'd like the new body to rest on top of the body below it. Does that make sense?

27. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > It sure makes sense. One way to do that is to simply change the layer of the "body" to Platforms on death. That should be the only required change.

28. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

I've tried that, but the platforms then don't stack. I've got a corgiController component on the body. I'm thinking that could be the issue.

29. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > It's not a physics based engine (it's actually the whole idea behind the engine). You may have to disable stuff and handle its positioning for it to stack, it won't do it automatically (because it's not physics). But the layer will be the only required change to be able to walk it.

30. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Thanks, @reuno ! I just played around doing just that and I think I can accomplish what I'm looking for with a nice blend of the two (physics/non-physics hybrid).

reuno likes this.
  31. reuno

reuno

@alanmthomas > You absolutely can. Where things will get (potentially) glitchy is when you try to push/pull physics stuff, or get pushed by it. But you could have Unity's physics handle the fall of an object / platform, stabilize it (turn it kinematic for example) and then walk on it with a CorgiController powered character, no problem there.

32. stmaddox

stmaddox

Advanced AI, can you put multiple AI Decision Distance to Target to do different things at different distances or would that mess things up?
    Also, would be nice to have AI Actions where you can change speed or other attributes or have things like run away, etc. Just ideas.

33. reuno

reuno

@stmaddox > You can have multiple decisions of the same type impacting different transitions. And you can also have AI Actions where you change speed and stuff.

34. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Thanks! That's exactly what I would up doing. Works smashingly!

reuno likes this.
  35. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

I've read the documentation and looked at demos... i started a new game, that is 254x240 resolution.
    As far as the gravity goes, how do I make my character more "Floaty" or travel further on his jumps? At this resolution, the Engine pretty fast, so a short jump height drags me down almost instantly, so I get no distance which makes platforming kinda stink. How can adjust it so it floats more like the RetroDemo?

I know I can't set the character to Dynamic rigid body, he falls through things. I'm looking for a Ninja Gaiden style jump.

Secondly... Ive I'm using that resolution, with 16x16 tiles, what would be appropriate pixel perfect numbers for me to use? I have something that looks pretty good...

36. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Working with a tiny resolution shouldn't change the size at which you operate things in Unity. I'd recommend sticking to the recommended scale. The same would also be true if you were working with physics by the way, it's just good practice. As for gravity, or jumps, you can change that in the controller for gravity, and in the CharacterJump ability respectively, as explained in the documentation. As for the rigidbody thing, I don't know what you refer to (or how this relates to the subject), this is a non physics engine.

And again, the size of your tiles and that kind of stuff doesn't have anything to do with the Corgi Engine. I've told you so over emails, PMs and here many times now, there's no generic answer to that, it depends on what you're after. But I'm sure you'll find more info about it in Unity's documentation.

37. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Sorry to ask... but where is the controller for gravity? Sorry for asking. I read the documentation but I don't need to implement a gravity zone do I?

38. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > As I've just said, the gravity can be set on the (Corgi) Controller :
    upload_2018-8-15_21-58-41.png

That's the very first field. It's explained in the documentation in many places and in much more details.
    Or in the tiny help text at the top of it :)
    You could also implement a gravity zone but that seems a bit overkill?

39. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Sorry for asking. Thanks for the help. I don't know how I overlooked that. I've been messing around for hours and when I looked at the documentation I was looking at the gravity zones and gravity points. I lost my old project in a crash so I'm just now rebuilding everything from scratch.

40. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > No problem :) The engine has tons of features now, it's easy to miss some stuff.

When in doubt though, here are a few things you can do :
    - Google it. The engine's documentation is quite well referenced now
    - Use your IDE's search. If you look for Gravity you'll quickly find that CorgiController's value as it's used in many places.
    - Use the search engine in the API documentation (that CorgiController's Gravity parameter is the first result there)
    - and of course use the support email or this forum if you can't find the info :)

I'm not saying this just for you of course, this can be helpful to anyone who'll read this and wants to get things done faster :)

41. knuppel

knuppel

Hello, maybe it's a unity problem. I made my own walking sprite sheet and an animation. So i have walking_0 to walking_29. In existing rectangle.animator i replaced the walk animimation with my own walk animation. But when sprite is walking only walking_0 is active.

42. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

Hi! I finally made my "roll" ability script and start using Corgi 5.0, and its amazing! The new AI system is so flexible I was very surprised, even without any modifications I can provide pretty smart enemies without writing any code!

But still, I develop my own damage system with few types of interactions and "hit" reactions to give my game more "brawler/slasher" gameplay looks like.

@reuno your asset is the best!

43. RAIN_proger

RAIN_proger

Can u tell me how I can find direction of the slope? Would be good if u show example. Thanks!

44. RAIN_proger

RAIN_proger

Hi! That's cool! Do u use rig animations?

45. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

46. Mindjar

Mindjar

I think it's a handy feature, I also wanted to have something like this in the engine.

47. Mindjar

Mindjar

Nice! I'm keeping eye on your game, it's looking great, maybe the best made on Corgi engine ;) Do you have a devlog?

48. reuno

reuno

@knuppel > I'd suggest reading Unity's documentation about animations at this point :)
    @RAIN_proger > As explained in the documentation, that'd be the CorgiController's State.BelowSlopeAngle value. And the engine already includes multiple examples of its use. The CharacterSlopeOrientation ability for example.
    @steelhamsterstudio > I'm glad you like the new version :) It's always a blast to see the progress on your game!
    @Mindjar > It's on the todo list. It's just got way less votes than the top 20 items on the list for example. Slope sliding's got 16 votes right now, item #20 is at 487 for comparison. If more people request it, it'll get more votes and will find its way into a release.

49. henkesky

henkesky

Hello guys, i really like this asset but i want to know if there is any other asset integrated with corgi engine that offers features like xp points, leveling up and quest system, since corgi engine doesn't seem to have these features.

50. reuno

reuno

@henkesky > I don't provide support for any third party (impossible to maintain). And I don't know of any asset that does that. I'd be curious to know if other people have had experience with such assets, that question pops up once in a while.