Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. millionapper

millionapper

oh my bad. I was on 2017 version. Guess i'll need upgrade my project. Thanks again @reuno

reuno likes this.
  2. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

@reuno and all the corgi users really, I have a simple question, the fade to black just doesn't occur (on teleporters or on a scene beginning - in my scenes but also the examples like minimal room), I am assuming there is something missing on my end. Any help, please ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  3. tysonwills

tysonwills

Is it possible to put an enemy on a moving platform

4. reuno

reuno

@MisterDeum > There was a bug with this a few versions ago, but now it should work. Please use the support email and provide more details (Unity version, engine version, where and how to reproduce).
    @tysonwills > Yes.

5. tysonwills

tysonwills

Can't seem to get it to work does any of you tutorials show it

6. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

I was on the 5.0 beta. Updating to the 5.0 release just solved the problem. Much obliged.

reuno likes this.
  7. reuno

reuno

@MisterDeum > I'm glad it's working now. There were quite a few bugs in the beta, they're all fixed now :)
    @tysonwills > There's no dedicated tutorial for it as it's super basic, but if there was, it'd go something like this : "take an enemy, put it on a moving platform". It's that simple :)

upload_2018-7-31_20-30-9.png

You can try it in pretty much any demo scene.

Kelgand likes this.
  8. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno Request about serialization/deserialization of poolable objects.
    I'm trying to save GO puuled in various ways from MMSimple/MultipleObjectPooler: at the moment, I am trying to do it with EasySave (popular on the asset store) but it's not working.
    Maybe I am trying a too naive approach, just tried to serialize/deserialize the GO with MMSimpleObjectPooler Component and the [SimpleObjectPooler] object created at runtime.
    My request is:
    could you please suggest me a possible approach -apart from EasySave, let's call it generic approach- to correctly save and rebuild a situation with pooled objects around?

9. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > It's hard to answer such a question without knowing the context.
    Usually you won't want to save/load pooled objects, they're meant to be consumables/expendable.
    I have to admit that on all the prods I've worked on, I've never seen this done.
    I guess if I had to do it I'd create another class that stores the state of the pool's contents (position/enabled or not/other stuff you may want to save) and restores it when loaded, but I think I'd avoid falling into that situation in the first place by picking a different design pattern.
    Not sure if that answers your question :)

luigi7 likes this.
  10. luigi7

luigi7

I'd say yes, it's a matter of design for sure. I am using your pooler because it's really handy, but in a way it was not intended to be used.
    Anyway, I tried to save the things you pointed too but the strange behavior was that I could not repopulate dynamically the [SimpleObjectPooler] object nesting the pooled objects active on scene at runtime, for some reason I cant find.
    Thank you anyway :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    reuno likes this.
  11. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > I didn't go too much into details but yes, you'd probably have to extend the pooler to accomodate for this new repopulation thing. Or indeed create a whole new system for this.

luigi7 likes this.
  12. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

How you doing @reuno, i search in the entire forum if someone added nor asked the option to lock levels in the MarioLike Retro Level selector and found that it was on the to-do list. any updates on that ? It would be cherry on the sundae. :D Thanks ! keep up the good work. I may be able to send you a demo of my game as soon as we finish the music.

Thanks !

13. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > Look at the ProgressManager and the RetroAdventure demos, that's already there.

14. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

@reuno yeah, i know there is the one with the ''cards'' but i would like to use the progress manager in the Big map with the controllable character.

there : upload_2018-8-3_14-18-23.png

15. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > It's just a visual change, both share the same logic.
    I don't see the point of duplicating everything in all possible situations.
    You can already lock levels in that scene if you want, you've got all the features needed for that.

16. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

@killerbake Hey mate !

I thought i'd share with you how i go it to work on the map.

If you take per exemple the scene AS IS, the only thing i changed in the LevelSelector script is this :

upload_2018-8-3_20-55-19.png

I put the LevelManager.instance.GoToLevel(LevelName); Line

in this for each loop. so it verifies if the level you trying to access is unlocked. :)

Cheers

reuno likes this.
  17. smarble

smarble

I've run into an issue... i have 3 one-way platforms above eachother (edge colliders). When i jump down off of the top-most platform, it works fine, but if i jump down off of the bottom 2, it just teleports straight to the ground. Is there a setting im missing somewhere?

edit: it's also happening when i walk off the side of the collider as well.

I figured it out...

I had to se the player gameobject's platform mask and the detachment method.

This is a great asset, by the way. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  18. reuno

reuno

@smarble > Glad you figured it out. Don't hesitate to read the documentation or check the video tutorials, they cover all the features of the engine :)

19. smarble

smarble

Yeah... I tried the documentation. Parts of it are great, but some parts are just hard to find or are more of a higher-level overview of a feature.

I did find another thing that I'm not sure if its a bug or a feature:
    When walking off of a platform and you have stick to slopes on and have the sticky raycast length to 0 (as it is by default), you just teleport to the ground. I think that was a lot of my problem as well.

I'll stop spamming this thread now. Thanks again!

20. reuno

reuno

@smarble > The 0 by default on that is by design, and it'll work for most characters. It really depends on the rest of the setup, and that's why it's a setting :) The system can't really guess what you're after here.
    Now if you have trouble finding parts don't hesitate to use the support email, it'll probably be faster. And let me know what you didn't find, I'm always looking to improve the documentation.

smarble likes this.
  21. myrkraverk

myrkraverk

Is it possible to temporarily disable the corgi engine for a single sprite? I wish to code my own jump, and I don't know how to disable corgi while the sprite is "in the air." Is there a way to do that?

22. reuno

reuno

@myrkraverk > I'm guessing you're talking about the controller? That seems like a very weird way to go about things, but you can disable it just like any other component in Unity, via the enabled attribute. There are many other, more specialized methods, but it really depends on what you want to do. I'd suggest looking at the class API documentation, or at the class itself to learn more about it.

23. tosvus

tosvus

Hi, Couple of questions, and I am sorry if they are answered somewhere. A lot of pages on this forum, and I did not see any reference to it in videos or demo games so far:
    1. Is there an easy way to monetize on mobile? I.e. does it have integrated solution for ad services/in app purchase, plus scoreboards etc, or is there another asset that is known to work very easily with this? (i.e. Easy Mobile).

2. Not a huge fan of the directional buttons for mobile. Would probably want to simplify it a bit, so would it be easy to have it so if you press/hold the screen left of the character, it goes left, if you press on the right, it moves right and so forth? Then tap if you want to jump (can't think of a mechanic for shooting, but that's ok, lol).

Thanks! Definitely considering this if these things are doable without a lot of work.

24. reuno

reuno

@tosvus > 1 - It doesn't. The asset focuses on platforming.
    2 - What you describe is just two bigger invisible buttons, so it looks like you're a fan of buttons after all :)

25. tosvus

tosvus

Haha, true, thanks for the quick response as well! I'm sure I can figure out the monetizing somehow. Your engine looks great!

26. reuno

reuno

@tosvus > Regarding social and ads, it shouldn't be too hard, pretty much all you listed is already native in Unity, and well documented. That's not the hard part in monetization. The hard part is marketing, by far, and that can't really be automated in an asset.

tosvus likes this.
  27. tosvus

tosvus

Excellent point about marketing. I will probably need to work with a publisher once I actually have a product to show - so early days to worry about that. I will be getting your engine for sure! Your support is clearly excellent as well, which is a big selling point to me.

reuno likes this.
  28. myrkraverk

myrkraverk

@reuno > Thank you. I get most of what I want by turning the corgi gravity off and on, with
    GravityActive()
    apart from some weird extra bounce upon landing. I'm still working on what in the corgi controller can be causing the extra bounce.

29. reuno

reuno

@myrkraverk > GravityActive is used for gravity control only. I wouldn't recommend it for what you're trying to do. It may have unwanted side effects. Why not simply follow my advice and turn the controller off? Alternatively, a more sustainable solution would be to extend the Jump ability to implement your own changes, or create a new ability.

30. myrkraverk

myrkraverk

@reuno > Using corgi
     controller.enabled = false;
    around my jump still leaves the extra bounce upon landing. I'll see if I can make it an ability or extend the Jump and see if that fixes the problem.

31. reuno

reuno

@myrkraverk > You might want to try without your scripts, you'll see there's no bounce in the engine (manually enabling/disabling the controller will prove it). This may help pinpoint your problem.

32. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno I'm sorry if youve already answered this question- How can I modify the speed of the horizontal movemenrt inside water? Is it in the water settings or the controller settings?

Thanks

33. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > As explained in the documentation, that's handled by the CorgiControllerPhysicsVolume2D override settings, specifically in the Controller Parameters settings of this component. You can select pretty much any water body in the demo scenes to see how it's done.

34. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno, your awesome, thank you!

reuno likes this.
  35. fonko

fonko

it's been a long time since my last check to this engine. Today i updated and downloaded it again and im getting some errors in your demo scenes, can you point me into the right direction of what may be going on? i'm using unity 5.6.5f1 for a cardboard game and i was going to use some of your scripts but i'm getting this errors.
    Best regards

Attached Files:

• wtf.PNG
      wtf.PNG
      File size:
      94.6 KB
      Views:
  36. fonko

fonko

another screenshot of errors

Attached Files:

• wtf2.PNG
      wtf2.PNG
      File size:
      142.6 KB
      Views:
  37. fonko

fonko

i had it imported into a brand new porject and this is what i got (lots of errors!)

Attached Files:

• wtf3.PNG
      wtf3.PNG
      File size:
      279.3 KB
      Views:
  38. reuno

reuno

@fonko > The first screenshot is not errors, it's scripts that Unity can't reconcile. Maybe they've been renamed, maybe they've been moved, hard to tell without any info (what version were you using? what version are you using now?)
    The second one, as the error messages tell you, point towards the fact that Unity 5.6 doesn't have tile support. Which is no suprise as it's only been introduced in 2017.1 if memory serves.
    I'm not sure how you managed to download that version on 5.6 as these features are only available in versions that you can download if you're running 2017.1 or more.
    Anyway, nothing uncommon or weird here. Either update Unity, or use the version of the engine that supports 5.6. You can learn more about that in the first, highlighted item of the FAQ :)
    If you have more questions please use the support email.

39. NAiLz

NAiLz

Anyone tried to make a script that allows wallcling to let you crawl up and down the wall? I haven't really dug in deep yet so I thought I'd ask in here first to see if anyone had tried this yet. Cheers.

40. fonko

fonko

awesome!!! thanks !
    i will try to download the correct version !

41. fonko

fonko

for what i have seen in release list i should be using version 4.0 of your engine but i can't figure out how to download that version. can you help me with this one? regards!

42. reuno

reuno

@fonko > The asset store will offer to download the corresponding version. I don't know what else I can do here :)
    And please use the support email, thanks.

43. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

Hi Reuno ! What could make my pauseSplash not work ? ( i know it's vague ) but the Restart level works and the go back to map selection too. The only thing i change is the goBackToSelection Scene name, it technically has nothing to do with the resumeButton.

I'm taking a big chance at this ! Maybe you know what could be the little thing !

44. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > How could I know? Without any info it's impossible to answer such a question.
    Maybe you didn't add your destination scene to your build, but in this case you'd get an error, and you wouldn't be asking that question I guess.
    I'd suggest comparing with the demo scenes to check for differences.

45. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

46. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > Again, did you check your build settings?

47. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

yes i did, all my scenes are on the build. but the issue is the unpause. I can pause the game but the Resume wont work. i can restart and i can go back to mapSelection.

48. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy I can't guess what your issue is without details.
    There really isn't much to the chain of events linked to that button, it's very basic.
    So I'd suggest looking at what happens there, I'm sure you'll find your error.
    If that doesn't cut it, there are many examples of that throughout the engine, I'm sure if you compare with the demo scenes you'll find your mistake. I'd opt for a binding issue of some kind, but again impossible to tell without info.
    If the problem persists please use the support email and provide some details.

49. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

A last cue about my issue. After that i'll just recopy retroAi and redo my level.

I took the retroUICamera of MY level ( the not working ) and copy pasted it in the retroAI scene, and now it works.

Si i took the already working RetroUiCamera FROm retroAi, and added to my scene...should work, but no same issue. I look if i was missing a component but everything is there. may we call it a unity brainfart?

Thanks again for your time

50. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > Please, follow my advices, it'll guide you towards the answer.
    And again, please use the support email for requests like these, thanks.