Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

Hey I was just installing 6.0 version of Corgi Engine and I noticed this:

Oh no... I selected the 2D template when I was installing corgi because I'm making a 2D game. Do I need to redo the entire install of Corgi Engine now? :oops:

2. reuno

reuno

@Reactorcore > No, of course not, there's virtually no difference between the 2D and 3D templates. Picking one or the other has zero impact. Technically you can also pick LWRP or HDRP, you'll just have to update the materials manually.

3. Sofiel

Sofiel

Fantastic. Thank you

reuno likes this.
  4. Sofiel

Sofiel

Thanks Muppo I’ll give it a try. As you say, @reuno solution will be elegant as the whole engine is.

5. reuno

reuno

The pressure is real now :)

6. Muppo

Muppo

I guess the push/pull system for the pushable block is a good starting point on a new try from scratch, now that I think twice on this topic.

By the way. Could this same concept work for horizontal buttons and/or jumpers? Gotta try all this, definitely.

7. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Define "horizontal buttons and/or jumpers"?

8. Miketysonjr

Miketysonjr

just a simple question : Im want to prevent Falling animation plays when MeleeAttack animation is playing and not done yet . How can i set for that ?

9. reuno

reuno

@Miketysonjr > Use conditions in your animator, like you would in any Unity project :)

10. Miketysonjr

Miketysonjr

Yea I did set condition in falling animation that "you can only play when MeleeAttack is False" , but its keep playing when my character is falling , now i checked at has exit time of jump transition and its ok for now ...

but the melee weapon is little bit hard for me to use . For example at RetroComboSword prefab , why you need to add 3 game obj with damage on touch to it ? and as i test the Damage Caused of Melee Weapon script on that prefab doenst work or deal any damage , how ??? @@ Sometimes its really hard to sync the animation attack to Damage area timing too !!!

11. reuno

reuno

@Miketysonjr > Because it's a combo weapon with 3 attacks. You can learn more about weapons in the weapons documentation. If you have other questions like these, please use the support form, thanks!

Miketysonjr likes this.
  12. FDGSundae

FDGSundae

Good evening.

I'm having an issue and wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out what's going on here. My character moves correctly on slopes and ground except for when interacting with the left corner of the collision mask for corner slopes, or when walking off the left side of a flat block.

It happens only when Stick To Slopes is used.

What happens:

Walking left off a flat surface: Player instantly teleports to the ground as if gravity/fall-speed is infinite.
    Walking right off a flat surface: Player falls correctly.

Slopes: See video below.

Video:

The behavior shown in the video only happens with the upper left corner of a slope and only when it transitions to a flat block. It does not happen when going up two consecutive slopes.

Collider/Composite:

It happens with/without the composite.

It happens both with Player moving animation and with all animations removed so that it's just the idle sprite.

Slopes: Occurs with both 30 and 45 degree max slopes selected.

Raycasts: 8 / 8, 0.05 offset, Distance to Ground 100. Also occurs with 4/4.

Stick to Slopes: Raycast Length 0 = default. Stick to Slopes offset Y = 0.2. (I didn't change that because I'm not sure what that does from the documentation.)

When I set the offset to 0, it goes away. However, then the player falls before sticking. If I set Airborne Distance to 0 to deal with this, the player then resumes the issues observed above.

A little tough to see, but here's the physics shape for the problematic portion of that slope. I had to make a custom one because default tilemap collider kept creating weird artifacts in it. Those artifacts didn't replicate the issue; they just the slope from being climbed. The flat tiles are just squares.

Do any of you have any how to fix this? Thanks.

Thanks.

13. Muppo

Muppo

I mean those but working in this position
    s2-ehz-point1img1full.png

Last time I tried I was not successful, that's why I'm thiking on a new approach from how the push/pull system works now.

14. matttardiff

matttardiff

I'm sure there's a setting or misplaced animation clip that's causing this issue.
    When I press the action button, in this case A, there's exactly 24 frames before the attack animation plays.
    I'm attaching images of my setup and a video showing the button press and response time.

Attached Files:

15. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno i was wondering how far down the list are “vehicles” or “rideables” (yoshi)? I’ve been fiddling around with the character switch but I seem to be far from actually achieving it.

I’ve also started to combine all sorts of things (in an unorthodox manner) and I’m getting some very interesting results. This is really an awesome engine. On the way I’ve learned much faster and I’m definitely shaving hours of work out of the projects.

Thanks for all the dedication you put into it. It’s truly a AAA, 5 star engine.

matttardiff likes this.
  16. reuno

reuno

@FDGSundae > The next version will fix that.
    @Muppo > I think just applying a force from those should work?
    @matttardiff > You likely need to work on your transition times. Right now based on your screenshots it seems to be one second, maybe set it to zero.
    @Sofiel > CharacterSwitch would be the way to go for these. Mario isn't really riding Yoshi, it becomes a single entity :) Then it's all about working that transition, but that's typically something that is purely visual and can't really be done on the engine side, it's too game specific.

17. Sofiel

Sofiel

Tha

Thank you @reuno ill keep at it. I also tried testing the ability picker but for some reason I can’t get it to work. I ofcourse did it in a very messy way I only swapped the script reference and name to character fly, and have no errors but it doesn’t make the rectangle character fly. I understand the ability should be enabled on picking the item. This was a test to apply the character switch on an npc or follower and achieve what you are saying. If you need more context and for me to go the support mail rout I’ll do that. Thanks again.

18. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > Without any details it's impossible to even tell what may be wrong. I'd suggest looking at the PickableJetpack example, it's very, very simple, and extensively commented. You should be able to go from there.

19. Sofiel

Sofiel

Thank you @reuno I did after fiddling around with it, but I got it to work adding a pickable action. Otherwise it behaves in a very strange manner. I’ll send the screenshots through the support mail. Thank you

20. matttardiff

matttardiff

@reuno
    It took me a few back and forths and lots of brain ache but after learning how to harness the power of MM Feedbacks, I'm so happy you added it to the engine. It should've been easy to understand based on the docs but I kept doing something wrong and hitting a wall of my own design. All is good and I can't state enough how awesome it is.

reuno likes this.
  21. reuno

reuno

matttardiff likes this.
  22. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno quick question, with a combo attack, to move the characters position Dino use relative position animation? Or does it have to be coded in? Say like in a fighting game where after the first hit the character moves with the attack. I understand the effect on the “enemy” would be applied through the knock back of the attack itself. Is this right?

23. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > I'm not sure what dinosaurs, relative position animation, fighting games and knockback have to do with each other in that context. Please use the support form and provide more details on what you want to achieve, thanks.

24. Sofiel

Sofiel

I tried with the MMfeedback game object position but for some reason it didn’t move my character. I based what I did on the demo for the this feedback. Or should I just animate through the animation and apply the damage area on the weapon?

25. Sofiel

Sofiel

Jajajaja sorry. I’m using a mobile and it’s the predictive text. I’ll use the mail. Thanks. Do you ever sleep?

26. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > Again, please use the support form and provide more details, thanks.

27. Sofiel

Sofiel

Hello all,

Anyone have any idea of how to cast a drop shadow that sticks to the ground for the characters?

Thanks

28. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > Add a new class on your character that raycasts to the ground, move your shadow at the raycast's hit position on Update.

Muppo likes this.
  29. Sofiel

Sofiel

Awesome. Thank you @reuno

reuno likes this.
  30. Bagazi

Bagazi

I am wandering whether ECS system would be added in futher editions some day.:D

31. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > Sure, when it's production ready. Which means in a few years, hopefully.

32. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

Hi @reuno

For animation, what is the best way to set two different movement states at the same time?

I would like that my main character walks and look up at the same time, for example. When character is moving horizontally, looking up ability is deactivated.

Thanks!

33. mmyh147

mmyh147

can anyone help me and tell me why when I use LWRP this happen

34. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

use the built-in methods to update the animation parameters as needed

You can either set "Looking Up" to true or create your own

javi_unity402 likes this.
  35. Bagazi

Bagazi

Excited to hear that. I am planning to add abundant monsters into my game.

36. javi_unity402

javi_unity402

37. reuno

reuno

@mmyh147 > That's because LWRP is not production ready and doesn't let you do simple stuff like stack cameras. This has nothing to do with the engine.

38. Miketysonjr

Miketysonjr

@reuno hi reuno , is there anyway to make character wont regen full his health each time move to next scene ??? Like someway to keep player's stats alway same current state unless it dies

39. reuno

reuno

@Miketysonjr > You've got complete control over that through the Health API. It's up to you.

40. TonanBora

TonanBora

I am trying to setup an AI, but for some reason, the Distence check is not working correctly.
    I have it checking for a distance of lower than 1.3, and even though the distance is 1.2, the transition does not trigger, not unless I set the distance check too lower than 2.3. This is fixed if the player gets killed and respawns, but then the AI checks distance correctly (although now it is trying to attack when it is too far).

Below are some pictures. I have modified the Distance script to display the distance while there is an active target so that you can see it more clearly.

41. reuno

reuno

@TonanBora > If you think you've found a bug, please use the support form, and provide precise steps on how to reproduce the problem, ideally in any of the demo scenes, from a fresh install of the engine.
    I just gave it a try in the RetroAI demo scene, added AIDecisionDistanceToTarget to the RetroSwordsman, and it works just as expected (the AIDecisionDistanceToTarget being so simple helps a lot). You must have some error somewhere in your logic, but without any info it's hard to guess what.

42. TonanBora

TonanBora

Update to my issue.

I have added a second readonly variable that stores the distance being checked (from within the EvaluateDistance Function) and it indeed is somehow getting the wrong distance:

The Current Distance I added, is checked every Update while there is an active target, and is simply:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         void Update() {
    2.             if (_brain && _brain.Target) {
    3.                 currentDistance = Vector2.Distance(transform.position, _brain.Target.position);
    4.             }
    5.         }

43. SwingNinja

SwingNinja

Hello, is it possible to add a sidekick character? Something like Ash and Pikachu kinda thing. Thanks.

44. reuno

reuno

@TonanBora > As mentioned in my previous message, please use the support form and provide repro steps, as again I have no idea why this would happen, and don't reproduce it. It's never been reported either. Doesn't mean there isn't a bug, but it might point at an error on your side.
    @SwingNinja > There's an advanced AI system, you might want to look into it for a sidekick character. Alternatively that's something that can also be solved at a model level, it really depends on your specs.

45. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

Think I'm probably missing something obvious here, but has anyone found a way to manually manipulate where the inventory's display slots are placed without amending the InventoryDisplay script? I'm trying to set up my inventories in a non-grid format.

46. reuno

reuno

@Dragonbladeon > InventoryDisplay is designed to display stuff in a grid.
    You'd need to extend that class to display things differently, but the core logic would remain more or less the same (it's basically just a matter of removing the forced formatting).

theindielawyer likes this.
  47. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

Ahh thought so, was trying to be lazy and avoid having to extend. Thanks for replying though!

reuno likes this.
  48. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

After many years of practice, I've come to the conclusion that trying to be lazy results in more work! :p

reuno likes this.
  49. starfoxy

starfoxy

50. reuno

reuno

@starfoxy > As long as you setup your colliders properly, no reason why they wouldn't work :)