Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Bagazi > If you mean parallax, then you can, as @Muppo said, setup a parallax camera and elements. The Mesa1 demo scene shows an example of it.
    @borkbork > I've never tried AnyPortrait, but if it uses Mecanim as @MoFaShi said, then you'll be fine.
    @tallesmaziero > As @Muppo said, it's likely a setup issue, look at the RetroSwordsmanWithAGun prefab for reference on how to set that up. And you're the second person to request vehicles, I'll add your vote to it in the todo list.

Bagazi and tallesmaziero like this.
  2. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

It will be very good to have vehicles. I'd like to do a 2D motorcycle level. And i think Yoshi as a vehicle too.

I will look at RetroSwordsmanWithAGun prefab. Thx.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Betzalel and reuno like this.
  3. Muppo

Muppo

Didn't though on vehicles at platform engines before but then I remember minecart stages on several games. My vote on this feature.

Boom_Shaka, Betzalel and reuno like this.
  4. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

Donkey Kong games has barrels and animals as vehicles too.

Ultrapp likes this.
  5. RD_Indiana

RD_Indiana

I get the same error when I create a new scene. Ever figure this out?

6. reuno

reuno

@RD_Indiana > Do you get that error in a fresh install of the engine? If yes, please send me more info (engine version, steps to reproduce, Unity version, etc) via the support email, thanks.

7. RD_Indiana

RD_Indiana

Yep, fresh install as of yesterday. I just emailed you through the corgi website.

8. quent369

quent369

Hello !
    Is there a 2018.3 version coming up with integration of the new prefab system (prefab variance ect ...).
    I'm just starting a project and I wan't to know if I better wait some days for a new version or not.

9. reuno

reuno

@quent369 > The new version will probably run on 2018.3, but I don't have plans to rework all prefabs (as there's no need, really, it already works fine on it), so you can go ahead. I think I'll make use of the new system as I go and where needed, but nothing drastic.

quent369 likes this.
  10. MoFaShi

MoFaShi

I have run into a weird problem, in Unity Editor everything is ok. but when my game is built as a standalone Windows file. all enemies Can't play the MeleeAttack animation. in the end, I found this because the update method of Character Handle Weapon executed before AI Brain's update method. I thought this should be a bug, right?

11. reuno

reuno

@MoFaShi > That sounds like a bug indeed, but I've never ran into it (or noticed). Could you send me more info on how to replicate it (what Unity / Corgi versions, what demo character etc) on the support email? Thanks!

12. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

@reuno, may i request something for the Advance AI to have a Random Variable Decision and the AI perform the action base on the Random Decision?

Another thing, any plan on officially support playmaker (with the engine reputation, separate purchase for the playmaker action is worth it)

Thanks

tallesmaziero likes this.
  13. tallesmaziero

tallesmaziero

There is a script for a shield in the engine? I couldn't find one.

14. reuno

reuno

@hoyoyo80 > The random decision is a great suggestion. It's been requested many times already, I'll add your vote to it.
    No plans to support Playmaker, for many reasons : over the years I've gotten less and less requests about it, I don't think there's much demand for it, I've never used it, and I don't want to have to support a 3rd party asset and maintain compatibility, it's too much work.
    @tallesmaziero > No, there isn't. You can look at the asset's website for a full list of features. If it's not listed, it's not in the engine.

15. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

Hello!
    You engine is good!!
    But there are some problems.
    Unity 2018.3.0f2
    Corgi Engine 5.3
    The essence of the problem :
    Box Collider 2D - Layer - OneWayPlatform = 80 - 90 fps
    Tilemap Collder 2D - Layer - Platforms = 40 fps
    Tilemap Collder 2D - Layer - OneWayPlatform = 8 - 9 FPS - ???????

16. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

A small addition. If there are about 100 units on the stage, then there is a strong drop in the FPS.

17. reuno

reuno

@Prog-Maker > Yeah performance is affected by how many things you put on screen, and you'll need to probably handle things differently, that's no big surprise...
    As for your first post, I don't really understand what you mean, please use the support email and provide more details, thanks.

18. BeardRetro

BeardRetro

I'm new to the Corgi Engine, but so far it's been amazing and I'm really enjoying learning about the engine. One question though... I've been looking through the documentation and poking around in Unity and I can't seem to figure out if there's something included with the Corgi Engine for implementing auto-scrolling levels?

Basically, I'm wondering if there's something already built inside Corgi to force the player to move with the camera in whatever direction I set, rather than the camera following the player (so I can force the player to have to run away from something like a wall of lava or spikes or whatever)? I see that there are "One Way Level" settings on the Level Manager and this is kind of a good first step of sorts, but is there anything in the engine for levels that move automatically?

Thanks!

19. reuno

reuno

@F1GHTOFFYRDMNS > Glad you like the engine :)
    There is nothing right now for autoscrolling levels (it's quite high on the todo list though, so coming soonish).
    And you're absolutely right, I think I'd look at the one way level system as a first step for this. I'd say a combination of this and an additional script on the camera that makes it auto move to the right (usually).

20. BeardRetro

BeardRetro

Thanks @reuno

I think implementation should be fairly straightforward... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something somewhere. Corgi has so many features that it's gonna take me awhile to wrap my head around everything the engine has to offer.

Thanks for making such a great asset. It's really gonna help save me massive amounts of time...

reuno likes this.
  21. Nikul

Nikul

Just purchased Corgi engine and I'm loving it so far! Working on a 2.5d platformer and have run into 2 problems, when my 3d character holding a weapon flips left, his arms/hands are pointed backwards am I missing something?

Also using the enemy spawner is there a way to limit the amount of enemies spawned by that spawner, eg spawn 2 enemies at a time 6 times? Currently its just an endless stream of 2 guys.

Thanks for any tips!

22. Bigluobo

Bigluobo

Is it currently possible to adjust gravity for individual gravity points? Also it seems like the character cannot jump in a zero gravity zone, even if he's on the ground or on platforms

23. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

I've been using this engine for a while now and absolutely love it!

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for using the weapon IK mounts within corgi with a 2D sprite?

I recently rebuilt my character's 2D sprite with Anima2D/IK Limbs in order to take advantage of having my character aim weapons created with the corgi engine. Currently I'm using a custom script that binds the IK Limbs so that the right/left hand limbs attach/detach to the weapons when they are selected by the player. This works, but it seems from the corgi documentation that there's an easier way to achieve this using the built in mechanics of the corgi engine using the IKPass and Weapon IK Script. I've been studying the documentation/the Hunt characters for days now but this has gone over my head a little!

Thanks in advance!

24. Pacaworks

Pacaworks

Hello everyone!

I've a very quick doubt: I want to prevent my character from being moved by any Input via code. What should be the best way to do it? deactivating movement scripts or there's a special method or properties I can use?

Thanks for your attention! ^^

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  25. reuno

reuno

@Nikul > Not sure why you'd get that result. I'd suggest looking at the Hunt demo characters to see how they're setup. As for your timed spawner question, not natively, but you could easily extend that class to add that behaviour, for sure.
    @Bigluobo > No, you can't adjust gravity for individual points (although you could extend the class and add that option quite easily), and you can of course jump in gravity zones. Look at the FeaturesGravity demo scene for an example of that.
    @BurnhamRichard > I'm not sure how this will behave with Anima2D (never tried it), but all there is to know about the IK implementation in the Hunt is explained in the IK section of the weapons documentation (https://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/weapons.html#weapons-ik)
    @AesopWorks > Depending on what you want to do, you can disable the input manager, the abilities, or the scripts themselves, all are valid options.

Pacaworks likes this.
  26. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Make sure the "flip weapon on character flip" box is checked. You can also try making the weapon model a child of the weapon game object -- not exactly sure why, but that seems to solve a lot of translation issues in Unity.

A recent Corgi update gave the option to rotate 3d characters instead of flipping them - I haven't used it yet but you might want to try that as well.

reuno likes this.
  27. Wrix789

Wrix789

Hi guys,
    First of all I would like to say this is an amazing Engine you guys made.. Makes my game development much rapid and easier! Recently I started to work on the AI scene (Retro) and I ran into an issue with the following StackTrace:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.AIActionShoot.TestFaceTarget () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/AI/Advanced/AIActionShoot.cs:83)
    3. MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.AIActionShoot.PerformAction () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/AI/Advanced/AIActionShoot.cs:39)
    4. MoreMountains.Tools.AIState.PerformActions () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MMTools/AI/AIState.cs:101)
    5. MoreMountains.Tools.AIState.UpdateState () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MMTools/AI/AIState.cs:51)
    6. MoreMountains.Tools.AIBrain.Update () (at Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/MMTools/AI/AIBrain.cs:60)
    Please take a look at the screenshot for more reference..
    Also what I am trying to do here is to have something similar applied using the AIBrain for my AI characters especially the Swordsman and Swordsman with a Bow, but this error keeps popping up even though I tried troubleshooting it but to no avail...
    any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

28. reuno

reuno

@Wrix789 > Without context it's hard to tell what the issue is here. Please use the support email and send me more details, such as steps to reproduce the issue from a fresh install, and I'll have a look.

29. Wrix789

Wrix789

@reuno > Never mind, apparently a misconfiguration issue in my project was the cause, fixed it already.

reuno likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@Wrix789 > Alright, glad it's working now then, thanks for letting me know!

31. zmatiaki

zmatiaki

Greetings to The Team,

I just starting using the engine and looks very nice!I am looking to achieve some camera locks on my level in order to achieve better camera smooth. I will try to demonstrate what happens and what I want to achieve. Please advice if its possible.I am using Corgi3D demo scene and I have imported my own 2D Sprites ( combination of Vertical and Horizontal Sprites with 2D colliders ) .
    So, we have the level bellow and the Camera moves as you can see in the gif ;

The issue is that camera follows the player and I want to find a way to lock it as you can see below

Any Ideas?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  32. theindielawyer

theindielawyer

Thanks for the quick reply @reuno - my character is 2D so I don't believe it's possible to rig it up via an avatar. I was just wondering if anyone else has attempted to use the anima2D IK system with this engine. At the moment I have a script which applies the IK every-time the weapon is equipped so the arms follow the weapon rotation - but this feels a convoluted way of doing it, and also relies on another animation parameter. I'm sure someone has a better way somewhere!

33. reuno

reuno

@zmatiaki > So if I get this right, you'd like the camera to move freely in the red zones, but be locked horizontally when in the yellow one? If that's it, then it's not something that is built-in. I'd probably use Cinemachine for that, I think its confiner system would support this.
    @BurnhamRichard > That doesn't seem like such a bad way of doing things to me, but again I never used anima2D so I'm not the best person to ask.

34. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

Im use cinemachine.

35. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

But need a little change LevelManager

36. RD_Indiana

RD_Indiana

HI everyone, just looking for a nudge in the correct direction. I'm working on a local co-op platformer and would like to display dialogue between my two characters in a fixed position (the center of the screen). I like the corgi dialogue system. Is there an easy way to have the dialogue boxes/text draw in a fixed position on the gui? See screenshot for an example of what I have in mind.

upload_2019-1-12_11-5-40.png

37. Friction

Friction

Hello,
    Thank you for your quick answer.
    I've been trying your suggestions for in the past few days but I can't figure it out with your way.
    I've handled that situation by changing planned gameplay, after 14 days of work.
    I think you should add your solution in next update.
    Thanks again,

38. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

Hello!
    How i can get the position of the collision (left, right, top, bottom) through the Corgi Controller?
    or may be MM tools

39. addz92

addz92

Hi Reuno, After creating a build, the following get produced: - The application - A mono folder - Application extension (unityplayer.dll) and another application (Unitycrashhandler64). I was wondering, do I need to include all 4 files if I were creating a build to upload to steam or another distribution site. I recall in the past only 2 files were made. Thanks for any help in advance :)

40. Testeria

Testeria

Is it possible to switch gravity force to 0 with gravity component?

I need one level in space (like asteroids) and just go where user directs player.

41. reuno

reuno

@RD_Indiana > Not built in, but you can probably easily modify the class so it targets a GUI canvas instead of instantiating in the world.
    @Friction > I'll add that to the todo list, if more people request it, it'll make it into an update, thanks for the suggestion!
    @Prog-Maker > StandingOn will give you what you're standing on, and CurrentWallCollider the current wall. Don't hesitate to look at the documentation, it's all in there.
    @addz92 > I'd say yes, just to be safe? But I'm no expert in Steam uploads. This is really a generic Unity question though, nothing specific to the engine :)
    @Testeria > If you mean Gravity Zones, then yes, you can set gravity to any value you want. That won't magically turn your game into Asteroids though, you'd need a dedicated ability for that, but it'll kill gravity.

Friction likes this.
  42. Nikul

Nikul

Thanks, I extended the class to spawn specific amounts of enemies. Is there a built in way for enemies to leave health pickups on death?

reuno likes this.
  43. reuno

reuno

@Nikul > Not built-in. That said you can quite easily instantiate item pickers on death.
    Loot and similar mechanisms have been requested heavily, they're high on the todo list.

44. Friction

Friction

Hello again,
    Is there a built-in way to use Screen Shake Effect with Cinemachine? Or should I override the Camera Controller?
    @reuno are you planning to add built-in Cinemachine support to Corgi Engine too, like your TopDown Engine?
    Best regards,

45. reuno

reuno

@Friction > Not built-in yet. And yes, I'm planning on bringing built in support for it, I'm just waiting on proper native support for package manager files in the asset store.

46. luigi7

luigi7

Hello reuno,
    I am moving my character assigning the transform.position to "teleport" it and let it in the Idle state, but I can't move it without triggering the jumpandfall animation because when it's assigned to the new position it's not grounded (isGrounded = false). Even if i move it exactly pixel-grounded, I get for a short time the fall state and see the animation.
    I tried to disable the Character, the CorgiController and Animator components in various combination without success.
    Do you, or someone else, have any suggestion please?

47. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > I wouldn't disable anything for that, seems a bit overkill. Instead I guess I'd add an additional animator parameter (Teleporting, maybe), make it true for a short while, and then modify my Falling state transition so that it doesn't transition if Teleporting is true.

Muppo and luigi7 like this.
  48. falseCrack

falseCrack

Hello Reuno
    I placed a MovingPlatform in the RetroCopter demo scene and rotated it 90 on the z. I set it to move horizontally to push the copter. While the copter is being pushed, I tap the up direction, the copter jumps down. Why does this happen and how can I get around it? Thank you, love the engine!

49. reuno

reuno

@falseCrack > Moving platforms don't push characters, you'd need a dedicated class for that.

50. Muppo

Muppo

It should work similar to how moving platforms detects a player is on top of them, right? Already tried what @falseCrack did myself and didn't work on it much more. To be honest, I wasn't sure if this was the way to follow.