Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mcg

Mcg

Yeah I created a derived weapon class to help deal with it was just curious if I was able to do without changing too much code :D, I think if you could select which animators or multiple at same time and perhaps easier to add parameters on the fly would make animating even more flexible.

The update log looks very impressive ! :)

2. reuno

reuno

@Mcg > About that... :)

upload_2018-7-1_9-59-18.png

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  3. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

reuno and steelhamsterstudio like this.
  4. SiddiqTech

SiddiqTech

How can the Inventory System be opened in mobile(Android)?

Thank You!

5. reuno

reuno

@SiddiqTech > As explained in the documentation, you can simply create a button and bind it to the inventory open method. Just like it's done with keys right now.

6. SiddiqTech

SiddiqTech

I as a newbie coder thought that was TOO easy to work

7. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Rewired has an integration for Corgi Engine included with Rewired. See more details in the Rewired documentation located here:

https://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/Integration.html#CorgiEngine

reuno likes this.
  8. knuppel

knuppel

Hello using Unity 2018.1.1f1 and Corgi 5.0 i get this error:

Assets/CorgiEngine/ThirdParty/Tilemap/2dExtras/Tiles/Rule Tile/Scripts/RuleTile.cs(12,15): error CS0426: The nested type `ColliderType' does not exist in the type `Tile'

9. reuno

reuno

@knuppel > Please send more info on how to reproduce from a fresh install on the support email, thanks.

10. knuppel

knuppel

Changed
    Line 12 of RuleTile to
    public UnityEngine.Tilemaps.Tile.ColliderType m_DefaultColliderType = UnityEngine.Tilemaps.Tile.ColliderType.Sprite;
    and Line 23 to:
    public UnityEngine.Tilemaps.Tile.ColliderType m_ColliderType;

and so on...

11. knuppel

knuppel

It was a fresh installation with some more assets (2D TileMap Factory)

12. reuno

reuno

@knuppel > It's not a fresh install if you add more assets to it :)
    What probably happened was a conflict with your tilemap asset.

13. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, v5.0 of the engine has hit the store.
    Here's the release trailer for it :

Meowx, Grafos, Zehru and 9 others like this.
  14. Muppo

Muppo

What a beautiful theme, have listened like three times in a row. Also nice engine release :D

reuno likes this.
  15. Drew_Davis

Drew_Davis

I have just finished my concept art for a planned platformer and the timing of this release is perfect.
    Having read the documentation and watched your videos, really appreciate the love and effort you have put into the engine. It looks as though most of the work will be putting my art assets into the game as the backend work is all done for us. I will purchase this this afternoon and look forward to utilising corgi in my new game.

reuno likes this.
  16. thundercatoh

thundercatoh

Great work, looking forward to try the new features out. May i ask if you have the list of new features? the Official site is not updated with the new Version of the engine yet.

Thanks

PS: Edited my commented, just noticed that there is a list of the new features in the official site, my bad.

17. reuno

reuno

@thundercatoh > Yes, the site is up to date, and I posted the release notes right here a few posts ago :)

18. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Ouch. This one definitely broke a (duplicate) copy of my game since the last update. I'll figure it out.

19. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Yup, for everyone else, I forgot to mention it again, but please, please backup your project before updating! As for each update with Unity, there's a chance it'll break something. Plus this one renames a few MMTools classes, so extra chances there.

Meowx likes this.
  20. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Figured that out the hard way last update. :D lol

21. Levrault

Levrault

Hi, I got tricky (or maybe a simple) question over there. I made a MetroidVania game style and I want to upgrade my character. When he upgrade, his visual and ability change.

That why I created a prefabs CharacterLevel2. How can I switch this prefabs and the one I put in the LevelManager ? Or maybe, should I just add component to my character and change his animator ?

thanks

22. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Got everything working... where exactly is the "RetroComboSword"?

23. thundercatoh

thundercatoh

@jasonxtate66 you can find it at .\CorgiEngine\Demos\Retro\Prefabs\Weapons.

@reuno what a great update, already been playing with the retro boss, and the HealthBars above the characters. You are making it hard for us, as we dont need to code anymore :) Incredible asset.

Did you made any update to the FeaturesGravity scene? i didnt even know about that scene. Going to use some gravity tricks in my game to improve the gameplay :)

Waiting for those high quality youtube tutorials, that you have accustomed us too, about the new features.

Great Work :)

reuno likes this.
  24. reuno

reuno

Woops, notifications went off again.

@jasonxtate66 > As @thundercatoh said, it's in the Retro demo folder. Don't hesitate to use the search field in your Projects panel in situations like these :)

@Levrault > I wouldn't create a different prefab. Instead, create a single one, with more than one model (ie you have a top level with all the colliders and engine classes, and nested below it you put your "model" (it can be a sprite or 3D model, doesn't matter, it's the visual representation of your character). That model can itself have many children, what you do at this level and below is up to you. You can look at the 3D characters examples in the demos for reference. Anyway, you'll then have a "change my appearance" class that will target this model and activate/desactivate parts of it based on what you want. This can also be done using an animator if you prefer. Both approaches are valid. Changing a prefab at runtime is trickier (but coming to a future update) (but not the best approach for just appearance).

@thundercatoh > Thanks, I'm glad you like the update!
    I didn't update that scene, apart from maybe a few bugfixes here and there? I don't remember any though.
    The tutorials are indeed coming, actually I've already recorded them, just need to publish them. I'll start tomorrow if all goes well! There'll be one about what's new in general in 5.0 and a dedicated one about AI. You can find that one in the dedicated documentation if you're in a hurry :)

25. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

I've updated all my assets... when importing, that prefab isn't there. Just the original RetroMeleeAttack or whatever.

I guess I'll try a fresh install and just take that prefab if it appears.

26. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Then you're probably not running v5.0.
    You might want to check out the first, highlighted item of the FAQ.
    And if that's not it, you may want to reimport the asset in a blank project just to be sure, as that prefab is definitely there :)

27. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Apparently not... because it didn't import the retro boss or anything. Where is the FAQ?

28. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

It did import the Game Manager which has player lives, and a game over scene. I don't think it had that before?

29. reuno

reuno

30. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

So do I need to upgrade from 2017.3.1f1 - to Unity 2018? Might that be an issue?

31. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Yes, as explained in the FAQ, if you want to use the new features that rely on Unity 2018.1's features, then yes, you need to update to 2018.1. As for whether it's an issue or not, only you can answer that question. It depends on your project and its other dependencies. I'd suggest making a backup first.

32. cyangamer

cyangamer

This new update looks really sweet. Thanks for getting this out to us!

reuno likes this.
  33. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Yeah, I use a duplicate copy to test. I'll try upgrading Unity.
    Strangely, it updated my Playmaker, Super TileMap Editor, etc. but didn't ask me to update Corgi.
    Will report what a new Unity update solves on a fresh project.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  34. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > That's because you're using a version of Unity older than the requirement, as explained in the FAQ :)
    It won't offer an update you can't run.

35. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Yeah, I didn't know it required Unity 2018. It's always painful moving a project over and redoing things. Hopefully the import goes smooth. The added features are worth it.

EDIT: Instant "Fix Compiler errors" after importing. Gonna have to adjust some stuff.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  36. Levrault

Levrault

It's not only the appearance that change but also the ability of the character. For example, I want to add the wall jump script and let the character be able to not wall jump. His appearance will also change with this new bonus.

Maybe a function that will just active new ability on the character and change the default animator should be a better idear in this case.

37. reuno

reuno

@Levrault > Even so, there already methods in place to enable/disable abilities. It'd still be safer and easier that way.

38. Kelgand

Kelgand

@Levrault I am doing a similar thing in my own game and agree with reuno, it would be a lot simpler to add a script that oversees this process by enabling/disabling abilities. You can have both of your character models and all of the abilities on your player with the upgraded ones having AbilityPermitted set to false. Then when it is time to level up, just swap the CharacterAnimator to the new one and set the abilities you want turned on to true. It is what I settled on and has been a lot easier than trying to pass control amongst different prefabs or objects.

reuno likes this.
  39. knuppel

knuppel

I like the timed spawner, but i'd like to have a "If enemy was killed spawner", with the feature to rise health and damage with each spawn.

40. NEHWind2

NEHWind2

@reuno

I can't even begin to properly say how amazing Corgi 5.0 is so far! It's so easy to get boss battles and enemies reacting to the player's actions! Until now all of my bosses were big robots that ran entirely on the Unity Animator but now my game has smaller bosses like Mega Man and Metroid games. Here's my first one! He jumps to avoid hits, he'll track you if you get too close and eventually jump to hit you. It's loads of fun putting characters together and testing them. Thanks for the incredible update!

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/87bef4_736605c82fcf4308be8b043d98267c1e~mv2.gif

While I'm here I have a small question for you! What does a projectile look for to know if it should collide with an object? I tried making a projectile, just because I was curious, that could hit the player and the walls. The shots would always hit the player just fine but would go straight through the walls no matter what I tried. I had the Target Layer Mask set to Players and Platforms, and I tried setting the the platforms to the "Player" layer as well since I knew it worked on that layer but no dice. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it to work in the past but I'm probably looking over something simple. I read through the documentation just to be sure and I couldn't find my mistake.

It's not a problem and I was only curious so I didn't want to clog up the support email with it, but if you'd prefer this sort of question be asked there I'll do so in the future!

reuno and steelhamsterstudio like this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@NEHWind2 > It looks for a target layer. I'm guessing yours was setup wrong. Hard to tell without more info. You can have a look at pretty much all the example projectiles in the asset, they'll all get stopped by walls.

42. reuno

reuno

Here's a video that showcases some of the new stuff in v5.0 :

I hope you'll like it!

Mindjar and steelhamsterstudio like this.
  43. BioBurden

BioBurden

Very nice! Just watching the start of the video and I see that the AI shoot at the ground and walk on the spikes (without taking damage too).
    Also, is it possible for the player and AI to shoot through "one way platforms"? For example, I'd like to be able to jump through a platform, land on the top of it, but still shoot through it at enemies below.

Thanks in advance.

44. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > "Just watching the start of the video and I see that the AI shoot at the ground and walk on the spikes (without taking damage too)." > It'll do whatever you tell it to do, and take damage if you set it up so. And yes, of course you can shoot through 1-way platforms if you set your AI's projectiles to not collide with them.

45. BioBurden

BioBurden

Aw
    Awesome stuff, think I'll have to purchase this later this evening so

reuno likes this.
  46. bayottedecarufel

bayottedecarufel

Hey guys !

I wondered if i could get in touch with someone who tried to modify the inventory system in order to allow each payer of a game to have their own inventory. EX:

The hunt scene with pickable items that goes in the right inventory depending on who picks it.

I've been trying to do it, but i can't get the hang of it.

Cheers !

47. BioBurden

BioBurden

True to my word, I've just purchased Corgi - can't wait to dig in. :D

reuno likes this.
  48. KriYorDev

KriYorDev

First, congrats on the Version 5 update. It is quite amazing and saves a lot of work.

And next, +1 request for the Castlevania like stairways. I know you are the boss here, just letting it out there.

Boom_Shaka and reuno like this.
  49. reuno

reuno

@kriyordev > Stairways are very high on my todo list now :)
    @bayottedecarufel > The big picture would be to have one inventory per player, and modify the ItemPicker class so that it takes into account who grabbed the object (you can get that info when the collision happens) and distributes it to that inventory instead of the default (item specified) one.

MaccyDBoy likes this.
  50. BioBurden

BioBurden

First task as a n00b: add an aiming reticle to the mouse-move weapon aim. Surprised it's not there by default tbh (FeaturesInventory).