Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. stmaddox

stmaddox

A suggestion regarding the Advanced AI. If you are using one particular AI Decision multiple times, it is easy to forget which you used on which Action. If you had a box that shows up on AI Brain that you could use to distinguish them apart would be very helpful. It is hard to explain but hopefully you understand.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. reuno

reuno

@UnbreakableOne > there's nothing special, you just need to put it on a Rectangle, as explained in the documentation. As for playing with the keyboard and touch at the same time, that's not something that is built in. I wouldn't recommend it, it's gonna create unwanted side effects. But feel free to implement it if you want. Again, everything about the input is explained in great details in the documentation, don't hesitate to check it out!
    @CaptCollins > Yes, you need a progress manager per scene, as shown in the example. As for how many you'd need to handle worlds, it really depends on your specs, there's no generic answer to that, and I can't decide for you :) Look at the code, and extend it to match your own requirements.
    @EGA > Thanks for spotting these, but please use the support email to report bugs, and please let me know what version you're on, thanks.
    @stmaddox > I completely understand, and I completely agree. Right now that is, I think, the only thing I don't like with this system (that I really, really love aside from that). I still haven't found an elegant solution for this though.

3. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Hello again!

I got 5 players working (as a test) so I can do 8 now!!

In the scene manager you have to manually add how many characters in scene then when you hit play it spawns them according to there ID. Instead of me making 8 scenes of 1-8 ranged players (ex. 1 scene has 1 player with bots, next scene has 2 players, but same enviro, etc), is there a way I can insantiate players in the UI menu (seperate scene) so it saves up memory of making 8 8 player ranging scenes?

Thank you!

4. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

Thank you. I've emailed you the bugs and I'll email some more I've recently found after they are fixed.

Maybe a private GitHub can be made where we can create issues of bugs and make pull requests to contribute/fix.

5. gulshansingh9958

gulshansingh9958

Hello Reuno
    First I want to say, I love Corgi!! It's so awesome!!
    But I have an issue related to 3D character flip. When I flip the character to left it's IK behave weirdly. I am posting a video you check that. I have created this 3D character same as 3D Hunt Character from your example but still my character not working well with the flip. When disabled IK its flip works fine but with IK it's not working.
    Character hierarchi:
    Character -- (Contains all corgi abitlities)
    --------ModelContainer
    ---------------CharacterModel

With 2D characters, flip(setting x =*-1 ) works fine but with 3d character and IK setup, it's not working.

6. reuno

reuno

@XaloX > There must certainly be a way to instantiate things like that, but it's not built-in if that's your question. Congratulations on getting 5 players working :)
    @EGA > Thanks for emailing the bugs. I've just answered you via email. There is already a private github, but it's reserved to a few select beta testers for now. I tried it differently in the past, it was unmanageable. For everyone else, the support email is the way to go. It's automated on my side, things get sorted nicely, centralized, and that way I can deliver fixes for the bugs very easily. There is a public repo for extensions too by the way, which may be of interest (https://github.com/reunono/CorgiEngineExtensions).
    @gulshansingh9958 > Please use the support email if you think you've found a bug, and please let me know what version of the engine you're running, and how to reproduce it, thanks. In this case I'll be happy to take a look if you give me more info, but in the meantime you'll probably want to rotate your character instead of flipping it.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  7. stmaddox

stmaddox

@reuno I would think that maybe another input line on a transition. It would be next to the True state and False state. It would be only a comment that a person could add information to help them know which AI Decision was used. Could have matching comment on AI Decisions where you could also give information.
    Example: You could have 3 different AI Decision Time in State with 3 different times. Each could then be labeled on the comment line A,B,C or 1,2,3 or something else and on the Transition in the AI Brain you could put the same thing on the comment line there. Just something to make things much easier. I would have to look at the scripts to see where adding these would be easiest and best. Thanks Reuno.

8. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Thank you!! I extremely appreciate it!! I know in networking it’s slightly possible (everyone connects via IP address). But I will have to research offline spawning like that.

I was looking at the high road engine, what functions does that use regarding spawning on 1 scene without 1-8 ranging player scenes (the video shows like a press button to join, choose car, ready etc)?

Keep up the good work!!! :D

Thank you!!

9. reuno

reuno

@stmaddox > This is a great suggestion, I'll look into it!
    @XaloX > I'm not sure I understand your question. The lobby part can't really be summed up in an answer here, it's handled by many scripts :) As for having a single scene whatever the amount of players, that's quite easy, you just have a manager know how many players you want, and instantiate them. That can be done with a persistent manager (such as the GameManager in the Corgi Engine, just use a PersistentSingleton). Sorry if that's missing the point of your question!

Rockwall33 likes this.
  10. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Ah yeah that makes sense! I thought it was a simple one like a level manager. I did not mean as a give me your script kind of way. I am sorry if it was interpreted that way.

I understand!! I will try the best I can! Thank you!!!!

11. reuno

reuno

@XaloX > I didn't take it like that, more like "how does this thing work?", but it's just that it's a very large thing so I'm not sure where to start :)

Rockwall33 likes this.
  12. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Oh I understand now! Sorry about that.

Thank you!! Keep up the good work!!

reuno likes this.
  13. shredingskin

shredingskin

Hello, I'm wondering what's the best way to create infinite platforms going out of bounds (like mario 1-2 final section of the level), I'm using MM simple object pooler and a moving platform with a poolable object), but I don't see how to make the objects spawn.
    I don't know if this is the best approach, so any light on this would be very appreciated, thanks.
    EDIT: Also I've found that after killing and enemy with autorespawn the AI brain seems to be deactivated on respawn, any ideas on how to fix it ?
    EDIT2: Found that the destroy on death was causing the AI brain to be deactivated.
    EDIT3: Found the timed spawner script, now how to make it dissapear based on level bounds and not time ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  14. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

How about AI Decisions and AI Actions "containers"?
    • "Containers" are added automatically when user adds AI Brain
    • User sets the number of "spaces" and can name each "space" according to their own system (can use numbers as default "name")
    • User drags the AI script into each space (or selects it from a drop-down menu)
    • User can expand/hide each space to set variables
    • User then drags name of each "space" into appropriate slot in AI Brain
    Same concept/mechanics as how we current drag particles and/or sound files into appropriate slots in weapons and character abilities, only taking it a step further by naming the slot and then dragging that name into the AI Brain.

In terms of workflow, it's not much different than what we do now: drag the AI script onto the object and then drag it into the AI Brain. The advantage is that we'd have a more familiar/colloquial reference to each individual AI Script.

Also: if we make a mistake or change directions now, we have to change scripts in the object and then update it in the brain. In theory, this idea should just allow us to change scripts in the "container" - the brain runs whatever is under the "name" at the time it's called.

Just a thought. Thanks for a great product!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    DrOcto likes this.
  15. lucaslizama

lucaslizama

A question, i'm trying to make a metroidvania style game, with the camera bound to the length of each of the rooms, for this I tried updating the level bounds on runtime, it works but the camera stops following the player even though the level boundaries have changed, am I doing something wrong?

16. Fabioisriva

Fabioisriva

hii @reuno currently im developing the skill tree with in the corgi engine it self EG : "in order to acuire double jump we must exchange with some amout of money" any suggestion or idea to do this

17. reuno

reuno

@shredingskin > You might want to look at the Infinite Runner Engine, that's the asset that focuses on spawning. These classes are just shared.
    @Boom_Shaka > Thanks for the suggestion!
    @lucaslizama > That's not a feature of the engine, you'd have to implement it.
    @Fabioisriva > I'm not sure how to answer that question in a forum post. A shop system is a bit longer to describe than that :)

18. Green-Jungle

Green-Jungle

Hi @reuno.When my Player is standing on anything as box or moving platform.it's same this photo
    https://prnt.sc/kw1ig7.I want player should standing between box,moving platform.How can I fix this problems.Thanks.Sorry my English.

19. reuno

reuno

@Green-Jungle > I don't understand your question. And please use the support email, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  20. gulshansingh9958

gulshansingh9958

@reuno > I am having an issue with melee weapon animation. This question is already asked by a user, but you replied to him over email so, again I am asking here again for me as well as other users also.

I am having issues with the melee attack/weapon though. I can't seem to get a whole slashing animation to play. The idle always overwrites it and only plays like 1 frame(if even) of the attack animation. I just want to an attack animation to play all the way through(Complete animation). I gave the attack animation an exit time as well and that didn't help. I've viewed the Retro level with the sword but that animation is only like 1-2 frames anyway so that doesn't really help my situation either. My character sword animation play for 1 second to complete animation.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

21. reuno

reuno

@gulshansingh9958 > As I must have replied to that person (and many others in this thread :) ), all the Corgi Engine does is update animation parameters. The rest is just standard Unity animator, to offer the most flexibility and stick to good practices.

The animators provided with the engine are not necessarily what you want to use in production. All you need to keep are the animator parameters. The transition graph itself needs to be tweaked to account for your specifics, there's no way to provide a generic graph that would match all, that'd be bad design.

So in your case, and without more details, I'm gonna assume that another animation is interrupting your attack animation. You can very easily see which one is responsible of that by just looking at your animator while it plays. From what you're writing, it seems it's Idle. That means that you need to setup your transitions differently so it doesn't happen. Maybe you've got a any state > idle transition interrupting, maybe you need to change other transitions, there's no silver bullet answer here. The best way would be to learn more about how Unity's animation system works. They've got some great documentation about it on unity learn, I'd start with that.

22. stmaddox

stmaddox

Perhaps in the AI Brain, you could adjust values for the AI Decision's parameters? Example would be the AI Time in State. Instead of needing three different AI Time in State decisions for 3, 5, and 10 seconds, you would need just one where the seconds could be in AI Brain somehow.
    Just a suggestion. Not sure how you could bring in the parameters into AI Brain.

23. reuno

reuno

@stmaddox > That would deviate too much from the "Unity way" for my taste. I like to stick to components, just need to work on differentiating them enough for readability.

24. reuno

reuno

@subver > So no, that's not something you'd get out of the box (as it's quite specific).
    It would indeed require some coding. The combo weapon in its current state is closer to what you'd find in Final Fight, it's not versus fighting combos. So you tap a single button, and attacks get stringed in the order you specified them for that combo weapon. If you "drop" the combo by not pressing that button again in the specified window, then the combo drops and starts again (if you set it up like that). But it's definitely not a combo system comparable to street fighter, which, even if I love it, would be completely overkill for a platformer solution.
    It's completely doable to implement on top of the engine though, and it won't get in your way. As for whether or not that's an easy task, only you can answer it, it really just depends on your skills :)
    Edit : forgot to mention it but the time control part would work perfectly with what you have in mind.

25. reuno

reuno

@subver > Just to be clear, it'd be too much for a platformer engine that aims to help as many people as possible, it's just too specific, and would only be useful to a handful of people maybe. But I think it's a really cool idea, you should go for it.
    And yes the combo system works like the jump in Mario 64 (weird comparison for a combo weapon system but it works). You can have different animations for each attack of course, I'd recommend checking the dedicated weapon documentation for more, there are a lot of options, and a lot of animations you can trigger per attack (start, between delays, etc). And really you'll find the answers to all your questions there as well (I'll be happy to help if by chance something is not covered by it, but really it covers pretty much everything).
    Right now combos are for weapons only but nothing would prevent you to implement a special type of weapon that triggers a jump as well. As for slowing down time, it's a matter of triggering an event, it's one line of code. Again there are many options for it.

26. reuno

reuno

@subver > In Unity, just in pretty much everywhere in programming, nothing is impossible.
    That's not something that is built-in if that's your question (again, you can check a list of features on the asset's page), but it's of course possible to implement it. Not something that can be described shortly though, and there are many possible approaches to it, you'll have to pick the one that suits your own specs best.
    In the end it comes down to your skills, and how much time you're willing to spend on a feature. That's why I usually don't answer "how hard would it be to do X" questions. Only you know the answer to that.

27. Muppo

Muppo

Long time since I mess with code on Corgi Engine.
    I'm trying to make a custom moving platform starting from modded MovingPlatform and PathMovement scripts and it seems it works fine but player doesn't not parent at all on the platforms so, it must be something related to CorgiController I guess.

@reuno Where should I start looking for?

28. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Hard to tell without any info :) Could be a layer issue? All I can tell you at this point is that it is indeed the CorgiController who is in charge of detecting moving platforms and sticking to them. If you keep having the issue hit me up on the support email and give me more details :)

29. Muppo

Muppo

@reuno ,
    My custom scripts are almost the same as yours but adding speed per node, intended for one time platforms wich falls at the end of the path.

Each element in the path is like this
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public class PathMovementNode
    2. {
    3.         public Vector3 PathElementPosition;
    4.         public float Delay;
    5.         public float nodeSpeed;
    6. }
    I assume the point may be that CorgiController checks/calls default scripts names instead mine, which are the same but have "custom" before the name. Can this be the reason?

30. Muppo

Muppo

I think I found it on line 931 of CorgiController.
    I don't think I'm able to override MovingPlatform, MMPathMovement nor CorgiController to include my customizations. Doesn't sound like a good idea, too.

Maybe I can write a script wich check if the path is in the last -1 node, then modify the platform delay and speed from this point, instead of messing with core scripts.

31. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > You should be able to override these scripts. I don't see why you wouldn't.
    If you script extends MMPathMovement, GetComponentNoAlloc<MMPathMovement> will find it, even if your class has another name.
    @subver > Please use the support email for questions like these, thanks. SecondaryMovement is already bound to the xbox360 (PC) right stick by default. I'd need to know how to reproduce the problem to be able to help, as I've never heard of it not working.
    Edit : maybe there's some specific for Mac though, but in this case it's just a generic Unity question, you'll have more luck in the dedicated section of the forum.

32. reuno

reuno

@subver > You probably forgot the vertical axis.
    The ShootAxis is not what you're after, that's to trigger a shoot. What you probably want to change is the SecondaryMovement axis. All this is explained in more details in the documentation.

33. reuno

reuno

@subver > As I said, and as explained in the documentation, _ShootAxis is for shooting, triggering an actual shoot. It's usually bound to a trigger. What you're after is the _SecondaryHorizontal and _SecondaryVertical axis. And again, please use the support email for questions like these, thanks!

34. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Speaking of conveyer belts @reuno , any chance you can add this feature?

Edit - ok this isn't exactly right because i'm not handling whatever is on this specific platform and grabbing slope from corgi controller and not from the interacting object, but here's a good starting point. Tested and works great. (also needs a directional modifier)

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace MoreMountains.CorgiEngine
    5. {
    6.     public class conveyertest : MonoBehaviour
    7.     {
    8.         public float beltSpeed;
    9.         public float lateralSlope;
    10.         public float belowSlope;
    11.         public Vector2 slopeVector;
    12.         public CorgiController _corgiController;
    14.         // Use this for initialization
    15.         void Start() {
    16.         }
    18.         // Update is called once per frame
    19.         void Update() {
    20.             if (_corgiController.State.IsGrounded)
    21.             {
    22.                 belowSlope = _corgiController.State.BelowSlopeAngle;
    23.                 slopeVector = DegreeToVector2(belowSlope);
    24.                 _corgiController.AddForce(slopeVector * beltSpeed);
    25.             }
    26.         }
    28.         public static Vector2 RadianToVector2(float radian)
    29.         {
    30.             return new Vector2(Mathf.Cos(radian), Mathf.Sin(radian));
    31.         }
    33.         public static Vector2 DegreeToVector2(float degree)
    34.         {
    35.             return RadianToVector2(degree * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    36.         }
    37.     }
    38. }

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  35. Muppo

Muppo

I'm not able because I have a lack of enough C# knowledge yet.
    Don't worry, this is not a must have in my little game, all the basic custom mecanics I need are already working fine.

However, I still thinking a Push & Pull ability will be nice rather than just Push, can I double vote this?
    Just kidding.

reuno likes this.
  36. reuno

reuno

@Drowning-Monkeys > There's already conveyer belts in the engine. You can see examples of them in the Retro scenes as well as in the Minimal Features Platform scene.
    @Muppo > Aw that's too bad. You should check out Unity's doc on extending scripts, it's actually not that hard :) I'll help if you have questions about that!

Muppo likes this.
  37. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

Hi @reuno ,

I was setting up a main menu with :

Continue Game ( which works )

&&

New game ( Erases the progress folder and start at lvl 1)

I am running into a weird behaviour when i press ''New Game'' and there is a progress folder already existing.

When i press the New game, i use the ResetProgress() function , i see it deletes the folders, then the game starts but with the progress BEFORE it gets deleted by the function even tho the files are not there anymore. Is there a way top dump the progress saved in memory ?

Thanks !

38. Mackerel_Sky

Mackerel_Sky

Hi @reuno,

Just bought Corgi Engine and just screwing around with it at the moment. I'd like to implement a sliding mechanic where the player will slip down slopes that are too high for him to ascend. Would you recommend I try to extend the WallClimb script or the Horizontal Movement script? I am very new to Unity so would certainly appreciate some tips on where to start!

Thanks!

39. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > If the files aren't there anymore, I don't see how the engine could read them :) There must some fault in your logic somewhere, or in the order in which you do things.
    @Mackerel_Sky > I'd create a dedicated ability for this, that would look at the current slope angle (you can get that info from the CorgiController, it's a public attribute) and apply a force in the direction of the slope if that angle is too high, optionally updating a new "Sliding" animation parameter, changing the state, etc.

40. Muppo

Muppo

I've found a easy way to have several Level Bounds on the same scene and camera fits on each one separately.

My intention was to have places where the camera follows player and other where it becomes static (i.e. entering a house), and already have a working method but this one could be more usefull in comparison.

As it involves parts of Teleporter and Camera Controller default scripts, I ask you, @reuno for your permission to share it here (or via PM) if someone is interested.

reuno likes this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Sure, please share it, I'm sure it'll be useful to many people.

42. Mackerel_Sky

Mackerel_Sky

@reuno I'm looking at the CorgiController script, but couldn't find any public values for the slope, is hitAngle the thing I want? I don't have a lot of free time so my coding skills are quite basic too ;_;

43. reuno

reuno

@Mackerel_Sky > You'll want to use the controller's State.BelowSlopeAngle value. As the documentation will explain, it's expressed in degrees.
    From any Character Ability you can access it via _controller.State.BelowSlopeAngle.
    Additionnally, you can access the controller's State.SlopeAngleOK, which is a boolean that will tell you whether the slope angle is ok to walk on, according to the settings you defined in the controller's inspector. Might be useful to avoid duplicating already computed data.

44. Mackerel_Sky

Mackerel_Sky

@reuno
    Ok, I'll give it a shot!

reuno likes this.
  45. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

Hi Again @reuno ,

Here is a video of what i mean when i say the files are deleted. I show you the buttons with the unaltered functions.

I created 2 buttons for test purpose to ''give'' time to the unity engine to see there is no more files, but the points and life are still there, is there another function to erase something else i am not aware of ? hmm ..

Thanks !!

skayster likes this.
  46. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > I can't tell what's wrong from that video, I'd need more details. My guess is you load data before erasing it, as I was saying in my previous post, so you have a fault in your logic somewhere. The engine can't load files that aren't there. If the problem persists, please use the support email, and let me know how to replicate it in the demo scenes (no changes made), as I have and it works just fine, so I'd need more info to help, thanks.

PS : that blob looks super cute!

MaccyDBoy likes this.
  47. Muppo

Muppo

Scripts cleaned and ready to share. Anyone interested just ask via PM

This is how it looks like

@MaccyDBoy
    I like the look of that game!

48. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

Thanks ! Everything is made in Aseprite, a software on steam to create gifs and pixel art !!

49. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

@reuno

I figured out what was the issue with the save game i had the progress manager loaded in the start screen. I suppose that this was loading the progress into the game. Now that this is fixed.

I have the Game Managers in my start screen and i this object is attached to my reset saves button. but when i go in a game and come back to the start screen the Game managers won't stick in the reset button properties. so the button reset don't have any ''functions'' linked to it and it show only missing object.

When i first enter the start menu, everything is good so far :
    upload_2018-9-30_11-6-27.png

After i started a game and came back into the same start menu to try to delete my progress :
    upload_2018-9-30_11-7-57.png

50. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

Okay, after digging a bit, i found that i had to assign it manually at load, since the dontdestroyonload seems to break the binding.

upload_2018-9-30_12-40-46.png

Maybe i'm missing something, but hey this works !