Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > It is already there actually. But feel free to implement another one.

2. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Wow, it would be nice to use the update. Unfortunately I cannot manage to import it without compiler errors. I would have to start my game over. After a few days of messing with it, I'm stumped.

3. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

My game runs fine in the latest version of unity, I import the new update and it's compiler errors and won't run.

4. BioBurden

BioBurden

Strange, it wasn't appearing within the game for me (playing within the editor).

5. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > Well it depends on the weapon of course. There are many weapon examples throughout the engine demos, some have certain settings, some have others.
    Don't hesitate to check the documentation to get a better idea of how it all works.
    @jasonxtate66 > I can't help without any details, as I'm sure you'll understand. Yes, the new version will break a few things if you don't make any change. But it's just a few renamed classes (in MMTools, so hardly anything critical) and the switch to Package Manager for PostProcessing effects. That's all. I'm sure if you tried to read the errors Unity mentions you'd understand what's wrong. If that doesn't help, please use the support email.

6. MaccyDBoy

MaccyDBoy

@reuno Hi ! I actually tried different things along the day to make multiples inventory, and one of my method was EXACTLY what you told me to do. So i guess that will be my solution !! Next thing will be to implement a press start to join to assign players to a player Gameobject. Does corgi engine Supports that, or i am better to add Rewired input manager ?

thanks again :)

7. BioBurden

BioBurden

Thank you, will do. There's definitely lots to dig into which is neat. I quickly tried to add a platform I built with Pro Builder (now part of Unity), added it to the platform layer, removed its mesh collider and added a box2d collider but my character could still walk through it for some reason. It's late, will try again tomorrow. Loving the engine so far and the code is very well documented. As a web developer (full-stack JavaScript), having never done C# before, the code is very self explanatory and the comments are a lovely addition.

8. reuno

reuno

@MaccyDBoy > "Next thing will be to implement a press start to join to assign players to a player Gameobject. Does corgi engine Supports that, or i am better to add Rewired input manager ?" > I'm not sure I see the link with Rewired here, it sounds like something that native Unity could handle in one line, but to answer your question, there's no such thing built in.
    @BioBurden > You probably forgot about the layer. Could be something else, I'd suggest checking the doc when in doubt. I'm glad you like the comments, I used to be a web developer back in the days, then a mobile app dev, so I tend to bring that same level of quality I used to find in (good) libraries in that field :)

9. bayottedecarufel

bayottedecarufel

Hi Reuno, i managed to successfully modify the script to handle multiples players

I will look today, but if i could a little headsup on how to do the following.

I would like to let the player choose is character before starting a series of games. Is that possible ? My first guess would be presistant GameObject ?

10. reuno

reuno

@bayottedecarufel > There's an example of that in the RetroAdventure demos. Look for the RetroAdventureCharacterSelection scene. Basically this screen will feed a StoredCharacter to the persistent GameManager. You can do the same in your MultiplayerGameManager (or whatever you call it).

11. bayottedecarufel

bayottedecarufel

Thanks, i was sure i saw something like that, and even in the search of unity i couldnt find it. I'll look in my older version see if i deleted it by mistake.

p.S

Do you even sleep ?

haha Thanks again :)

12. reuno

reuno

@bayottedecarufel > It was introduced a few versions back, so unless you're running a very old version, it should be there. And no, definitely not enough :)

13. bayottedecarufel

bayottedecarufel

At the character selecting Scene i want to do like a scene where the four players simulteanously pick their character prefab like this upload_2018-7-10_13-4-44.png

how can i get buttons pressed BY players ? Like right, left A or start

Like if player1 press right, then change the character prefab shown. And i will continue by adding a ' if everyone is ready, start'' I just need to know how to get buttons since i guess i'll need to add an input manager per player.

Thank you !

14. reuno

reuno

@bayottedecarufel > Not sure what this has to do with the engine at this point, it's just standard Unity.
    It's usually a matter of adding a playerX_ prefix to your input string. I'm sure Unity has tons of docs about that. I don't see the need for 4 different input managers for something that simple, you just have to watch for 4 axis and 4 buttons I guess.

15. reuno

reuno

Here's a trailer that covers all there is to know about the new Advanced AI system :

It's by far my favorite new feature of v5.0, and one that hopefully you'll find super fun to play with!

Mindjar and bayottedecarufel like this.
  16. BioBurden

BioBurden

Wow, the advanced AI is a huge addition to the engine compared to the initial basic solution. Gonna have to have a good play around with this. Awesome work.
    Do you recommend any other AI solutions if I end up needing something more advanced, I'm thinking of doing a 2d Counter Strike-like game. I'm guessing it would need path finding, and some AI tactics. Thanks.

17. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > I don't know of any asset that would handle something that specific out of the box. That's typically the kind of thing that'd require a dedicated solution.

18. BioBurden

BioBurden

No worries, thanks for your input :)

19. LaurieCF

LaurieCF

Loving the updates! Awesome stuff :)

I've got a question that I think is probably covered in the documentation, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd like to have a setup where my character can only hold one weapon, and when they collide with a new pickup, it automatically replaces their current weapon. So my question is two-fold I guess - how would I create an automatic equip on picking up a weapon, and how would I automatically drop the current weapon (assuming a weapon inventory capacity of 1).

Is there a built in solution for this, or is it a case of extending the weapon picker to have these behaviours? Thanks as always! :)

20. reuno

reuno

@LaurieCF > There's a "built in" version of that, quite simple, that doesn't use an inventory. There are examples of that in some of the Minimal scenes, among others. It's just regular, non inventory pickers.
    If you want to use an iventory, you'll have to implement it (it's quite simple, you just have to unequip, drop/destroy, equip the new one). But really using an inventory for that seems overkill.

LaurieCF likes this.
  21. BioBurden

BioBurden

Click & drag support within the inventory would be a nice addition.

22. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > The Inventory Engine really focuses on the hard stuff, the inventory logic. The UI is up to you. There are too many ways, too many options to implement them all, and I don't think there's much value in implementing more UI examples, as it's already made super simple by Unity (drag and drop for example can be done in a few lines of code), and you'll likely have to redo it in your own style / with your own rules anyway.
    The strength of the engine is that it'll work with whatever interaction choices you make, whether it's on mobile, desktop, console, etc.

BioBurden likes this.
  23. vzheng

vzheng

i download the package just now, and import to unity 2017.4.5 empty project, but i can not find the new version things for example:RetroAI or other now assets.

the readme file is: v4.5.1

24. reuno

reuno

@vzheng > Please read the first item of the FAQ. The one marked with "please read this".

25. vzheng

vzheng

sorry,but the problem is where is the "FAQ".

26. reuno

reuno

@vzengh > http://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/faq.html
    It's the first result in most search engines for "corgi engine faq", it's also linked from the asset's page on the asset store, and all pages of all corgi engine related websites (features, documentation, API doc, youtube tutorials, etc.)
    You can also find it on pretty much each page of this 84-pages thread.

Kelgand likes this.
  27. reuno

reuno

28. vzheng

vzheng

reuno likes this.
  29. reuno

reuno

@vzheng > It is indeed useful, yes. That's why it's linked from the FAQ in the item I mentioned.

30. RevvyD

RevvyD

Hi all, this is a " n00b trying to figure out what I've done wrong" question so apologies in advance...

TL;DR - melee weapons only working if enemies walk into the damage area after it's activated.

I'm currently running Unity 2018.1.6f1 and Corgi 5.0 (which is incredible, thanks for making things think!) and I've somehow made a scene where melee weapons only work intermittently. I might just be failing to understand something fundamental about collisions but I'm not sure.

If an enemy moves into contact with a melee weapon's activated damage area it works exactly as it should. But if the enemy collider and the damage area overlap *before* the damage area is enabled (i.e. the enemy is stood right in front of the player) nothing happens. I put some debug messages in the DamageOnTouch script to try and figure out where the problem was and neither the OnTriggerEnter2D or OnTriggerStay2D events are uh... triggering... in that situation.

I dropped the enemy prefab I'd made into Corgi's minimal level scene and the default minimal sword weapon works absolutely fine. But if I then set the player's weapon to the minimal sword in my own scene I have the same problem as before. I've repeatedly checked the layermask settings and the layers of the instances themselves and I can't see anything (obviously) stupid that I've done there - I'm assuming if I had the weapon wouldn't work at all? I also haven't offset the damage area so much it ends up behind the enemy when stood right next to each other or anything like that.

Sooo... any takers? If it comes down to it I'm not losing anything important if I just need to start again from scratch - I'm more concerned with learning what I've messed up/misunderstood - thanks for your time!

31. reuno

reuno

@RevvyD > You probably have your trigger settings wrong on your colliders. I'd suggest comparing with the demo assets.

32. Levrault

Levrault

Hi all, thanks to all the people that answer to my upgrade system question but I got an another one.

I got my character with a specific ability. I enable the ability in the scene one. The character take the EntryPoint to go to scene 2. In the scene 2, my character's ability is now disable. It there anyway to keep it enable between scene ?

thanks

33. reuno

reuno

@Levrault > that's normal behaviour unless you explicitely save these changes somewhere.
    Many different ways to do it, and you'll find examples of that (not saving abilities state, but saving stuff in general) in the engine. You can look at the progress manager class for example, or at persistent singletons.

34. fabiopov_1

fabiopov_1

Hi reuno,
    I have a small question, I want to configure a melee weapon but the editor does not show the damage area gizmo, the gizmo is only seen in playmode. In your video tutorial you can clearly see that the gizmo shows up while doing the setup. Is this a function no longer supported?

Thanks!

35. reuno

reuno

@fabiopov_1 > It's still supported, you probably just have disabled that gizmo in your scene view (top right dropdown to access your gizmos and enable the ones you want).

36. fabiopov_1

fabiopov_1

This is the first thing I checked, unfortunately this is not the problem.
    I tried on different computers always getting the same result.
    I normally work on mac and I have a bootcamp partition with windows.
    I thought it was a problem with mac os, so I tried a fresh installation of unity on windows, imported corgi, new setup, the same bug :(
    This is very strange.
    Maybe something with my hardware (my computers are not so new)

37. reuno

reuno

Does anybody else reproduce @fabiopov_1's issue? It's working fine on all my machines, but maybe there's something else to it?

38. reuno

reuno

@fabiopov_1 > Just to be sure : you're running v5.0, right?

39. fabiopov_1

fabiopov_1

P.S.
    all other gizmos, for example AI decision detection, work normally.

40. fabiopov_1

fabiopov_1

Sure :)

41. reuno

reuno

@fabiopov_1 > Then it's officially weird :)
    If anyone else manages to reproduce the problem maybe we'll find the common denominator, but until then I have to admit I don't know what the problem could be.

42. fabiopov_1

fabiopov_1

I think I just found a solution!
    I modified your original script and now it works correctly :)

Attached Files:

pry_bar likes this.
  43. reuno

reuno

@fabiopov_1 > Okay that's weird. I'll have a deeper look. Thanks for sharing your changes!

44. fabiopov_1

fabiopov_1

With pleasure!!!

reuno likes this.
  45. Puddinglord

Puddinglord

@reuno

I have a question that is puzzling me. When I open up any of the demos and the min ortho size is small the game runs fine, and the movement of the camera is smooth when following the player.

When I run my scene with a multiplayer camera, it is stuttery when moving the player. The best way to describe it would be, it feels like I am pushing the camera to the right and it tries to push back a bit to the left like it's struggling and stuttery. Have you encountered this behavior before?

Thanks,
    Puddinglord

46. reuno

reuno

@Puddinglord > Nope. You must have changed something, but it's hard to guess what without any details :)
    Compare with the demos, and if the problem persists, please use the support email and provide more details.

47. bayottedecarufel

bayottedecarufel

Hi Reuno !

I think there is a little bug with the MM healthbar on Drawn mode. When the enemies dies, sometimes, the bar doesn't destroy and stays there, empty. I will look into it soon, maybe tonight and report if i find something. Meanwhile, if it's a known bug maybe you have an hint for me !

And i saw something weird yesterday. when i attached a weapon to my player by picking it up, when the weapon rotates to aim, it does not simply rotate, it gets distorded too. I read somewhere that this may be a unity bug ( but not sure).

48. reuno

reuno

@bayottedecarufel > I've never seen any of these, and they've never been reported either. Couldn't reproduce them. I'd be happy to check these if you can give me more info and where/how to reproduce them in any of the demos. And please use the support email for reporting bugs, thanks.

49. Brinstar

Brinstar

Hello reuno,

First thanks for you engine, I am new to unity and this is a very good way to learn how to use that software :)
    I am using unity 2018 1.6f1. I post that here because i haven't found your email support.
    I have two question: when I play to my game, i have the original character from the minimal level that continue to appears (the rectangle), how can i turn it off and only have my character please? Just simply delete your characters or there is an other way to do it? I have try to drop my character into the level manager>playfer prefabs for replacing your orginal one like you say in your video "how to create a character" at 7min38, but this one continue to appears with my one, it only change of color and become grey.

And second: My character can't touch the ground properly, I mean by that it can stand on platforms and stuff, but always higher than where the platform is, while your character (the rectangle) is perfectly ok on the same platform. I have check the collider, but it is completely fine it is completely align on the feet of my character, dunno what to do and i haven't found that info on the written tutorial (neither in the video too), I have take a closer look but I could have miss something.

Merci beaucoup d'avance! :)

50. reuno

reuno

@Brinstar > The support email is on the asset's website. It's also linked from the asset's page.
    http://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-contact

And I'd suggest reading the documentation first maybe, as it'd (probably) answer both your questions.
    My first guess regarding your first question is that you're not using the LevelManager, which means your scenes are probably setup all wrong. And regarding your second question, without more details, it's quite hard to answer, so again please use the support email, thanks. If the whole documentation, tutorials, and comparing with other characters doesn't solve the problem, then it's probably something unique, that I've never encountered before, and I'd need more details to help.