Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > It's certainly possible (everything is), but again I'd recommend picking the right tool for the right job.

2. Sofiel

Sofiel

reuno likes this.
  3. prethon

prethon

post more news of the great update that is to come, we are very anxious :):):)

Meowx, NEHWind2 and xpachin like this.
  4. reuno

reuno

@prethon > The update is in beta, I'll post more news when the beta period is over.
    In the meantime there isn't much to say.

NEHWind2 likes this.
  5. george_00

george_00

In the Unity 2D essentials video the trainer says this can be used for top down games, but I don't see anything here about using it in this way. Can it be done?

6. reuno

reuno

@GeorgieGrace > As I said just a few posts above yours, it's certainly technically possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. Pick the right tool for the right job. Platformers and top down games don't have much in common.

7. george_00

george_00

@reuno thanks, and sorry I missed a similar question - this forum isn't too easy to search. I was surprised the trainer said this would be good for top down games, I guess it was a misleading comment. I wanted to check though because I would LOVE to find a package for a top down game with as much good content as this.

8. reuno

reuno

Pan_Likes_Brains and george_00 like this.
  9. george_00

george_00

10. sduerpang

sduerpang

hi,i am new to Unity ,and it's a very amazing and powerful engine . But I have some issues when try to create a new
    3d character using my own model , I use the soldier3DRed as a template to create the new character ,and also use the redAnimator controller for this one ,everything works fine unity I add a weapon to it ,when the player face right ,the ik system works well,but when the player turn to left ,the ik system works strange ,the left hand and the right hand just point to the opposite direction of the weapon , is there anything i do wrong for it ? any suggestions is appreciated!! 20180609155407.png normal.png

11. reuno

reuno

@sduerpang > The easiest way would be to compare your character with the example one. Your setup must be different. Hard to tell what you did wrong without more details though. And please use the support email for support questions, thanks.

12. Abrahamus

Abrahamus

Hi everyone, I've been trying to implement stairs into my project with no good results, having a few issues because of this:

Blue lines: if I come from the left there's no problem, the character goes up normally as expected.
    Red lines: if I come from the right the character's position suddenly changes as soon as I get next to the one-way platform, also, it remains crouched when I get down from it.

I can imagine that this is happening because the one-way platforms are not meant to be used this way, that being the case, what's the best way to approach this kind of problems using CE? Thanks for your time.

13. reuno

reuno

@Abrahamus > Stairs are not a feature of the engine right now. They're on the todo list though.
    And no, you can't use one way platforms like that.
    If you want stairs you can either wait until they're added, or implement them yourself, which will require (at least) creating a new ability, and/or modifying the controller. I'm afraid it's not something that can be summed up in a post.

Sehui and Abrahamus like this.
  14. Abrahamus

Abrahamus

@reuno Oh, right... "castlevania like stairways", should've checked that before. Guess I'll just try making a new ability while waiting for that update. Thanks for your fast reply.

15. Zehru

Zehru

Hey @reuno and everyone else here!
    I`m having a problem and I couldn`t figure out a better place to ask for help than here.
    I was trying to extend some Corgi Engine abilities, but after starting using the last (not beta) Unity release, the Intellisense totally stopped working.
    If someone have expereinced the same, could you find a workaround?
    I'm sorry if that's not a proper place for this question, and if Reuno asks me, I can delete this message.
    thanks everyone

16. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > I don't think it's related to the Corgi Engine. It doesn't have the power to break your Intellisense. You should probably check your VS settings, and/or your project settings. Chances are VS is opening in "files" mode instead of "Assembly-CSharp" mode (top left corner).

17. Zehru

Zehru

@reuno Yeah! certainly not related to Corgi, but to my lack of knowledge about the VS settings.
    I've unloaded the assembly and then loaded it using a different .net framework (don't know how I managed to do it).
    As It made the assembly not being compatible, it broke Intellisense.

Thank you very much Reuno :)

reuno likes this.
  18. vzheng

vzheng

Q1: Unity 2017.4.3 can not open the Tile map.

upload_2018-6-13_9-8-12.png

Q2: is there a good way to edit the game map? just drag and drop the prefab?i found it hard to align to blocks. thanks.

19. reuno

reuno

20. vzheng

vzheng

How to make a new level?

What i have done now is this:

1. Duplicate the minimal scene,
    2. delete the platform i dont need
    3. add platform i need.

i want to know if there is a better way to edit the level environment, for the platform is hard to Align.

21. reuno

reuno

22. vzheng

vzheng

reuno likes this.
  23. Ordnas006

Ordnas006

24. NEHWind2

NEHWind2

@Ordnas006 That looks really cool! I love the music!

Ordnas006 likes this.
  25. reuno

reuno

@Ordnas006 > Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing it!

Ordnas006 likes this.
  26. Rocktavious

Rocktavious

Hey @reuno Is there any chance you could release an asset of just the 2D Platformer Controller of corgi engine? I personally don't need all the other stuff that comes with it and am specifically looking for a solid working, ability based 2D Platformer Controller to integrate with my game.

Abrahamus likes this.
  27. reuno

reuno

@Rocktavious > I have to admit that's the first time I get such a request.
    The controller can already be used on its own, so I'm not sure what this would change :)
    That's how the engine works, you can cherry pick whatever you prefer to use, and just leave the rest be. Many projects only use the controller.

28. Abrahamus

Abrahamus

@reuno , hi again.

I needed to ask something, right now I was just trying to stop the player (Rectangle prefab) with a
    OnTriggerEnter2D that disables the Input Manager and the Horizontal Movement, but the player just keeps advancing, I also tried setting its Rigidbody.velocity to zero, no luck so far...

Which would be the best approach to this problem? Thank you for your time.

29. Kelgand

Kelgand

The Horizontal Movement ability is what sets the force of your character, including a force of 0 (no sideways movement). If you disable the ability then the last force that your character had is what the Corgi Controller will keep using as there will be nothing telling the controller that it should stop applying the force. After disabling Horizontal Movement, try adding
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _controller.SetHorizontalForce(0);
    to turn off any remaining speed.

Abrahamus likes this.
  30. knuppel

knuppel

Hello, I'm using the meele weapon for a player. The meele weapon does only cause a damage when i have the left,right,jump or down button pressed (when he moves). Is a meele weapon able to cause a damage when player does not move?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  31. reuno

reuno

@Abrahamus > Exactly what @Kelgand said :)
    @knuppel > Yes. Look at the demos for examples of that. You must have changed something, hard to guess what. If the problem persists please use the support email, thanks.

32. Meowx

Meowx

Looking forward to the new version!

Grafos, NEHWind2 and reuno like this.
  33. BioBurden

BioBurden

Many thanks for your reply.

34. Naoumis

Naoumis

@reuno will the new boss on 5.0 will be only retro style?

35. reuno

reuno

@Naoumis > There is an example of a boss in a retro scene, but you can use these scripts anywhere, it's just a visual example. Visuals and code are completely unrelated :)

prethon likes this.
  36. prethon

prethon

I'm crazy about this update :D:D:D

NEHWind2 and reuno like this.
  37. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

@reuno > Hi, have a question, if i want to have a grapple hook using corgi, how can i have the system going and working? By the way, i am totally new to corgi. one critical thing, i need to be able to change the length of the rope that comes after grapple hooks to walls or ceiling by code at run time

38. reuno

reuno

@Jiraiyah > That's not a feature of the engine, so you'll have to implement it (for now, it's on the todo list though). As for how to implement it, I'm afraid it's not something that can really be described quickly in a forum post, as it really depends on what you want, there are tons of ways to do it. I'd look at the weapon system for a basis for it though.

39. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

What i want is a tool like a weapon that would shoot the hook and when it connects a rope from hook to the player show up and from there the rope swinging of the character should do the job maybe?
    also, is there a system for the ropes themselves?

40. reuno

reuno

@Jiraiyah > There's no system built in for the kind of ropes you describe, no. By the way, you can check a full list of features on the asset's page. If it's not there, it's not in the engine. Note that what you want to implement won't be trivial to do on a non physics based system, you might want to consider using a physics based framework for something that physics heavy as proper swinging (unless you really like maths and raycasts).

41. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

ok, will think about some sort of replacement in the game level instead of all this head ache. looking forward for anything you come up with in future. by the way, are you interested in having editor wizards? i was developing one for another asset but stopped mid way and it is never published, converting it to be compatible with corgi should not be that difficult. I can complete it for you and send it to your pm when it's finished. if you are interested, contact me by pm.

42. reuno

reuno

43. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

Something like this ;

upload_2018-6-20_6-17-59.png

This was being developed for another project but for some reason was stopped. if you want to at least the first page of the wizard is already being coded. The way I was going forward for this, was a global, batch setup wizard, you would choose as many game objects in the scene as you would like, then you would set the character, add new items in the second tab, add as many other types in the third tab, choose what type of movements the characters can have, set their attack mode (the asset i was working had different types) and in last page, you would just check mark what animation states you would want form the list (the project had near 100 something states available for each character, not that you would need all of them). and at the end you hit the process button and go for launch, when you come back, you would have more than 30 characters all ready to be used with prefabs already being made for you !

but for two reasons i stopped developing this, first was some technical issues we had with that production pipeline regarding how the code was developed, and the next one was that someone suggested that we can "easily" use prefabs, not that i can see how a temp prefab can help with all the animator, and other stuff being generated per character, but what ever, long story short, this is a code that is sitting on my hard drive. i can use it as a donation for your project with many changes needed for making it 100% fitting your product, or i can keep it for future if i ever have a character system of my own.

limo likes this.
  44. reuno

reuno

@Jiraiyah > Alright, I see what you mean. There's already a "wizard" on the Character class that does that, but with much less options :) As I said, feel free to contribute to the extensions repo, just send me your stuff when it's ready and packaged and I'll put it there!

DrOcto and Jiraiyah like this.
  45. unity_MhBDhL5LOXDRhA

unity_MhBDhL5LOXDRhA

Is there a way to equip items (other than weapons, let's say, a helmet)? How would it handle the rotations of the character?

46. reuno

reuno

@unity_MhBDhL5LOXDRhA > Sure, the inventory engine comes with all you need to implement that. Attaching a helmet would be much easier than a weapon as you don't have to aim it, just parent it to your model and it'll follow it around without problem.
    There's even a (non-corgi) example of switching entire clothes. I'd look at that first, as well as the Inventory Engine's documentation.

47. vzheng

vzheng

how can i reset the project setting when some other plugins changed it?
    the input manager the layers the tags.

what can i do is to reimport the Corgi Engine package. is there a good way to add the project setting needed for Corgi Engine?

48. reuno

reuno

@vzheng > Create a new blank project, import the engine in it, copy whatever you need from there. That's probably the easiest way. A better way would be to use git and restore from there.

49. vzheng

vzheng

I know that way, but that will change other plugin project settings.

50. reuno

reuno

I don’t know of a better way than version control and diffs for a case like this.