Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. prethon

prethon

Very good, how did you do the combo system?

2. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@reuno I will be actually very excited to see a new dash ability :)because right now I haven't enough time for modifying this ability and make a roll /dash more "natural" look.

@prethon I actually added a simple enumeration and hit number reset in the update method. I still working on it.

prethon likes this.
  3. reuno

reuno

@steelhamsterstudio > Changing the dash ability won't change its look :) What would you have in mind, that the current implementation doesn't cover?

4. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@reuno right now dash is ideal for my magic air dash - it cancels gravity and moves hero straight horizontal and stops when it collides with platform layer. (It also works ideal on the flat ground without any angle changes) But at the ground, I need little different mechanic of a movement. And I wanna contain this two mechanics in one dash ability. Right now I make an extension for my melee variation with dash-strikes and charge attacks.
    dash.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. reuno

reuno

@steelhamsterstudio > Interesting idea. I'll see what I can do, but it'd be low priority right now, you're the first to propose the idea :)
    That said it shouldn't be hard to do. Basically, instead of just moving the controller, the idea here would be to lock input for the "roll" duration, and instead of moving the controller, pilot the CharacterHandleHorizontalMovement component instead. The character would follow the ground just like it does when walking/running, and you'd just have to send a new "roll" animation parameter for the duration of the roll.
    Now I sort of wanna implement it :) Maybe!

Kelgand, Muppo and limo like this.
  6. jingray

jingray

Troll. I can create character for shum'up game. Not platform game :D.

7. Muppo

Muppo

I do like the dash concept from @steelhamsterstudio, and the way I think it have to be implemented is exactly as @reuno said. We are two on the vote count now :)

8. breeme

breeme

Hello, reuno.
    I would like to change the button of the conversation from 'A' to 'X' without changing the input setting of Unity.
    I think it is MMInput.cs, but I do not know the concrete method.
    Do I have other scripts to watch?

9. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Noted!
    @breeme > Not sure I understand your question, but I don't know of any way to change the input settings without changing the input settings, sorry.

10. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

I don't know if this has been addressed, or if anyone has worked on an extension of the character select...

Here is a request I would like to see put into the CorgiEngine,
    For the sake of argument we'll say "Left Bumper" on your controller switches between characters. So you could potentially have three characters with different skills, and switch between them during a level. Similar to Little Samson or Castlevania 3.

limo likes this.
  11. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > It's already on my todo list :) Thanks for the suggestion though!
    By the way, entirely doable with what's already in the engine if you want to implement it yourself. The most important thing is to remember to update the LevelManager's PlayableCharacters list.

limo likes this.
  12. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Thanks! Great support as always.

reuno likes this.
  13. Frost-Games

Frost-Games

Hi there. I am looking at Corgi (or Playmaker) and wondering if i could make a metroidvania like Hollow Knight or Ori or Enviromental Station Alpha with this engine?

14. skayster

skayster

Just wanted to ask if damage numbers (appearing over an enemy when you hit it) were ever requested? Thanks

15. reuno

reuno

@Frost-Games > Sure, that's the type of games the engine's been designed for. You can check a full list of features at http://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/ to see if it matches your own requirements.
    @skayster > Actually no, they haven't been requested. I'll add that to the super long list :)

16. BioBurden

BioBurden

Hi, this seems like a great asset for getting a platformer developed rather quickly. Some questions before purchasing:
    1. Is it possible to somehow (might be more of a Unity question) use ragdoll 2d sprites? I'm thinking I'd have to have a rigged character with individual sprites mapped to each limb and somehow integrate it with Corgi. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them.
    2. Is it possible to use Corgi with Ferr2d and Bolt (visual scripting)?

Thanks in advance.

17. reuno

reuno

@BioBurden > 1. That's not something that is built-in (it's quite specific), but it's certainly doable if Unity supports it. I have to admit I've never tried 2D ragdolls. But sure, providing you create a class to pass whatever info to the ragdoll (ie. activate on death, that kind of stuff), it'll work. The engine comes with events you can listen to that'd make this even easier.

2. I've never tried Bolt or Ferr2D but users of these and the engine have told me (or reported here) that it works fine (same with Playmaker). The engine is built following Unity good practices, it exposes variables and methods, and these tools (Playmaker, Bolt) simply manipulate these variables and methods. So there's no official support from me for these but yes, it works :)

18. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Here's another suggestion if it hasn't been already given... a continue system when you run out of lives?

username132323232 and reuno like this.
  19. LaurieCF

LaurieCF

Hi all :) Could i get some help with Slope Angle Speed Factor?

I've tried a bunch of different curves, but I haven't managed to get the desired behaviour. I understand that the y-axis is the speed multiplier with '1' being no change, but the x-axis as the slope angle is what's throwing me off I think.

I'm trying to have it so that gentle slopes (ie. -10 to 10 degrees) have no change, but after that I would like walking up steeper slopes to decrease speed proportionally, and likewise walking down steeper slopes increase speed. Attached is the current curve that I thought would achieve that. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Attached Files:

20. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Noted.
    @LaurieCF > That's not exactly how it works. If you look at the code, you'll see the way the x speed is computed by evaluating the angle (in degrees) of the slope the player is on. So you'll want your x axis to be from -90 to 90 maximum (-40 to 40 is probably enough for most people). And then the y axis is the multiplier you want to apply to your movement (0 to 1 will be slower than normal, more than 1 will be faster).

21. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

Add my vote to the list.

reuno likes this.
  22. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

I'm using Bolt with it now. No issues at all. In fact, it's perfect for the Events system.

reuno likes this.
  23. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Works with PlayMaker as well.

reuno likes this.
  24. username132323232

username132323232

Tried PixelLevel and Corgi3D scenes on a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (3rd Generation) tablet. PixelLevel runs at about 59fps (great!), however Corgi3D at only about 29fps. Any suggestions on how to bring it to 60fps? Thanks!

fast.png slow.png

25. reuno

reuno

@username132323232 > The Corgi3D scene uses Unity's post processing effects, you might want to remove them on mobile to improve performance. The engine itself is super low footprint, it's usually your visuals that will impact performance, but there's nothing specific to the engine in that regard, so any advice you'll find online about how to optimize for mobile will be relevant.

NEHWind2 likes this.
  26. username132323232

username132323232

Thank you Reuno for the quick response. I turned off the post processing effects, but the frame rate is still at about 30fps. Do you have any other suggestions? slow-2.png

27. reuno

reuno

@username132323232 > As I said, there's nothing specific to the engine here. It's just mobile optimization. So you'll want to optimize textures, dynamic lights (might want to bake them), models, etc. I don't have any specific suggestions :)

28. username132323232

username132323232

Sounds good. I guess there are too many variables involved that have nothing to do with the engine code. 30bps doesn't look that bad and turning off post processing made the game feel smother even though the fps number didn't change that much. Thanks again for the quick and helpful response!

reuno likes this.
  29. reuno

reuno

IMPORTANT : I just added the last feature I wanted to add to the next version of the Corgi Engine (combos!).
    That new version will be v5.0, as it changes enough stuff to deserve that new major number.

First of all, it switches to Unity 2018.1, which means it uses the Package Manager to include the PostProcessing stack (no more duplicates, yay), and it switches to a new version of my MMTools.

Aside from that, it adds a completely new advanced AI system, that will allow you to create tons of different behaviours for your enemies (or allies), and all that without code thanks to something like 20 logical ready-to-use bricks. It also brings long requested abilities (swim, free fly and glide). And also combo weapons (you can even combine melee and projectiles in your combos). All in all it's more than 50 new features, improvements and bugfixes. I think it's the biggest update since I started the Corgi Engine :)

Anyway, as it's quite massive, I could use a few more pairs of eyes on this. I'll start the beta at the end of the week. I plan on having it run for (at least) a couple of weeks.

If you're interested in giving it a try, please send me an email on the support form with your invoice number and an email at which I can send you the package.

prethon, limo, NEHWind2 and 9 others like this.
  30. reuno

reuno

As a teaser, here's a little sneak peek in scene view of one of the new features (many actually) :

Link to the image if it doesn't show : http://reuno.org/upload/UnityForums/boss.gif

So what's new here :
    - new random spread mode for your projectile weapons
    - new option to have weapons shoot multiple projectiles per shot (and you can have them form patterns)
    - new boss!
    - new, animated health bars, entirely customizable (or you can use your own prefabs)
    - new AI system based on decisions and actions. Here the boss is actually made of 3 characters : his 2 guns and his body. The left gun shoots when it detects something within a certain area, and switches to a different weapon when below a certain health. The other one just shoots in patterns, then waits for a while, and starts again. Once both have been destroyed, the body will move in a different area, and jump from time to time, until death. I really love that new system, the possibilites are endless. I added a few examples, including a Mario-like ghost that flies around, chases you and freezes and hides its eyes if you look at it.
    - also new (and standardized) gizmos

And that's just what you can see in this tiny video, there's much more in the update, I'll make dedicated posts later on.
    I hope you'll like this new version, and again if you're interested in testing the beta, check out the post above!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    NEHWind2, Zehru, Muppo and 5 others like this.
  31. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@reuno Wow, wow! It looks amazing! Can't wait to taste new features and I already have some ideas to check with this AI system. Animated healthbar is exactly what I need.:) All this features will save alot of my time, thank you!

32. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Awesomeness!!!

33. Mindjar

Mindjar

Great news!

34. xpachin

xpachin

O
    OMG corgi is geting fat!
    love it!

35. Levrault

Levrault

Hi, does someone has already try to override the dialogue system ? I just want to add a placeholder for the name in the dialogueBox but it's seems quite complicated.

I create my own dialogue box prefabs in my resources folder ("assets/resources/Interactions/DialogueBox") and I set my own dialogueZone script (inherit from corgi engine's dialogueZone) and I load my own resources.

GameObject dialogueObject = (GameObject) Instantiate (Resources.Load ("Interactions/DialogueBox"));

But everytime, I got an error ArgumentException: The Object you want to instantiate is null. Does I need to set something about my resources folder ?

Thanks

36. reuno

reuno

@Levrault > You should look at what exactly is null. Can't it load your file? In this case try looking at the path (not sure but resources may need a R).

37. Levrault

Levrault

@reuno my solution was to duplicate dialogueZone and dialogueBox and edit one or two lines to make it work. I could tell exactly what was wrong, but it's seems to work now. Thank you

38. Muppo

Muppo

Some time ago I tried to override it as I wanted to add button sprites on my custom quest dialog component but it doesn't work and I leave it unfinished. Complicated indeed.

@reuno
    I'm trying to disable the momentum from character going through teleporters, this is the reason why my character seems to appear from top in the house from the demo. Already adjusted teleporter colliders but still there.
    Tought setting CharacterHorizontalMovement to zero and ChangeState to Paused will work but it doesn't, both or separated neither.

Any suggestion on how to proceed?
    If not, Can I request this to be under control on a future release?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  39. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@CHEMAX3X Actually, there is the "Dash Cooldown" it sets in seconds, so you can just put there any cooldown time.

Attached Files:

• Dash.jpg
      Dash.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
    CHEMAX3X likes this.
  40. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

o.o !!! how could i be that blind, lol, thanks a lot

steelhamsterstudio likes this.
  41. reuno

reuno

@CHEMAX3X > Yup, the dash cooldown is what you're after :) @steelhamsterstudio was faster!
    @Muppo > You may want to use the CorgiController's SetForce method, setting it to zero will kill all velocity on your object. That's how it's done (if you set the proper settings) on the gravity zones for example (and in many other places actually).

steelhamsterstudio and Muppo like this.
  42. Muppo

Muppo

That exactly what I needed, thank you!

reuno likes this.
  43. prethon

prethon

I do not know if it is a bug, but I can only give a hit, then can not get any more, just tell me if I make any moves

44. reuno

reuno

@prethon > Not sure what to tell you without any details :)
    Compare with the demo levels maybe, and please use the support email for questions like these (along with more details of what you did).

45. Navesele

Navesele

Sorry for asking silly questions, but I really can't find support email on asset store page. There are only Support website and Publisher website. Maybe I'm looking in wrong place?

But actually I have a question about pushable objects and moving platforms. If I put a pushable object on a horizontally moving platform then pushable object doesn't move with the platform. Object stays in one position until platform moves away. Then the object falls down.

Here is how it looks

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and it works in different way?
    Thank you.

46. reuno

reuno

@Navesele > The support contact form is on the asset's website...
    And this is a non physics based engine. Moving platforms only move characters (or objects that have a script that interacts with them). So it's normal that your pushable block doesn't move with the platform. You can implement that by looking at how the moving platform interacts with characters (or make your object a CorgiController, that'd work too, but may mess with the pushable part).

47. Navesele

Navesele

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. I will try to play around with CorgiController.

reuno likes this.
  48. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno hey, thanks for the awesome (and keeps getting better) engine. I’m a bit of a nube (in case I say something out of place) so it really gets me up and running in the blink of an eye. So thanks again.

I do have two questions for you. There’s a scene in the inventory tutorial in which you show a character moving in a Zelda like game. My questions are, is there a way to have access to that script?(in case it’s not the map level select controller) and if so, would it be compatible with the Corgi Engine?

Thanks for your time

49. reuno

reuno

@Sofiel > Of course you can access the script :) Just like pretty much any object in Unity, just select the character and you'll see what scripts are on it. And no, it's not compatible with the engine. It's a top down example. The engine is a platformer engine. Both genres have nothing in common, it's two different things.

50. Sofiel

Sofiel

@reuno thank you got your reply. Is there a possibility to extend the horizontal movement for the up down movement such as in the top down level? I was planning on adding a section to my game where it would be so. Like in links awakening where it’s manly top down but it has a platform section. Mine would be platform with a top down section. Thanks again