Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. reuno

reuno

@Almakos > Thanks for the details, but again, please send them on the support email, not here, it's too hard to track otherwise (I get around 50 "bug reports" a day - most of them aren't bugs, thankfully) :)
    - I think I've already fixed your first bug, as I can't reproduce it, but have changed stuff since last release that may have had an impact. Couldn't reproduce it on 4.5 though.
    - I reproduce the chest thing though, I'll fix it right away, thanks for reporting it!

2. Almakos

Almakos

I see, makes sense. Just sent an email.
    Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  3. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Here is probably a silly question... but if I update to the latest version, in a game I'm creating with the old version... Is it going to reset all my settings? I'm using the update before this newest one. Should I just import certain parts of the update i.e. bug fixes, the new scene etc. I would hate to mess up months up work. lol

4. reuno

reuno

5. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

6. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

For example... my main character was built off of replacing all the sprites in the "minimal" scene's character and adding to it. So I'm sure if I imported the full new project, it may revert him to the square.

7. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > You certainly can try, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    And no I don't think it'd affect your character if you've separated it from the original prefab.

8. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Is there a video showing some of the new features?

9. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > Yes, on youtube, with all the other ones :

And you check the full list of new features on the release page.

10. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

How would you easily deal with creating flying enemies (i.e. birds, bats) that aren't grounded? Would you go more to like a more advanced AI asset as mentioned above?

11. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > No need for anything advanced. You can either cut gravity, or play with (infinite) jumps or jetpack, depending on the desired behavior.

12. CaptCollins

CaptCollins

Havent noticed a single problem since updating everything, thanks again reuno!

reuno likes this.
  13. Grafos

Grafos

Thanks reuno, I really appreciate this. Might I also suggest the Bubble Bobble type platforms? I've been having a hard time recreating those. If I understand them right, they are one ways platform for top to bottom collisions and normal platforms for left to right ones (you cant jump through them from the sides, unless you are coming from below and have already collided from below).

MudPuppet likes this.
  14. reuno

reuno

@Grafos > Sure you can. I'll add that to the list. If it gets more requests it'll get added to the engine.

MudPuppet and Grafos like this.
  15. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v4.5.1 of the Corgi Engine to the asset store.
    It's a minor update that fixes (as usual) all known bugs to date, and adds a few quality of life options.
    I'm hard at work on v4.6 right now, that will bring more major changes, and I don't have an ETA for it yet, so I thought it best to release all these fixes first.

Here are the full release notes :

- Adds damage and death animation parameters
    - Adds an option to auto destroy a weapon from the inventory if it's been depleted
    - Adds an option to override the default prompt gameobject for button operated zones (and dialogue zones).
    - Adds a dedicated interaction button, separate from jump, to use to interact with zones, dialogues, etc
    - Fixes the path to add Camera parallax and elements
    - Fixes a situation where the push animation wouldn't reset properly
    - Fixes a bug where the collider would remain stuck in crouch size while jumping
    - Fixes a rare case where the movement multiplier of a weapon would prevent movement incorrectly
    - Fixes a bug that could cause the TimeModifier pickup item not to work properly
    - Fixes a bug that could prevent from reloading when mixing inputs fast
    - Fixes ability sounds on the CharacterPush ability
    - Fixes default jump restrictions on all playable character prefabs.
    - Fixes a potential error with chests when trying to open them twice under certain conditions
    - Separates third party libraries into their own folder and updates the Tilemap library
    - Requires Unity 2017.3 or more

I hope you'll like this update! Let me know if you run into any trouble with it!

MudPuppet likes this.
  16. Levrault

Levrault

Thanks for all those fixes Reuno ! But I think I found a new one with the dialogue zone. I got the following error when I active the options "Hide prompt after use" in the dialogue zone script. I can reproduce it in the demo scene. Thanks
    MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'GameObject' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent[SpriteRenderer] () (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/GameObjectBindings.gen.cs:38)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.ButtonActivated+<HidePrompt>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/GUI/ButtonActivated.cs:125)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Coroutines.cs:17)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.ButtonActivated:ZoneActivated() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/GUI/ButtonActivated.cs:98)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.DialogueZone:TriggerButtonAction() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/GUI/Dialogue/DialogueZone.cs:122)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.CharacterButtonActivation:ButtonActivation() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/CharacterAbilities/CharacterButtonActivation.cs:72)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.CharacterButtonActivation:HandleInput() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/CharacterAbilities/CharacterButtonActivation.cs:40)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.CharacterAbility:InternalHandleInput() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/CharacterAbilities/CharacterAbility.cs:110)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.CharacterAbility:EarlyProcessAbility() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/CharacterAbilities/CharacterAbility.cs:126)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.Character:EarlyProcessAbilities() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/Core/Character.cs:236)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.Character:EveryFrame() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/Core/Character.cs:218)
    MoreMountains.CorgiEngine.Character:Update() (at Assets/Vendors/CorgiEngine/Common/Scripts/Agents/Core/Character.cs:206)

17. reuno

reuno

@Levrault > I haven't been able to reproduce the problem in 4.5.1.
    I must have fixed it while making updates to the ButtonActivated class.
    Please drop me an email if the problem persists after the update!

18. Muppo

Muppo

This will help with something I have in mind.
    Thank you! :)

19. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > I didn't mention it but I've added your multiple keys script to the extension repo. It was on my todo list but I prefer keeping things simple in the engine, and have that as an option on the side for people who'd need more. Most actual games just require one key per door in my experience :)

Muppo likes this.
  20. Muppo

Muppo

@reuno
    Oh, nice :)

Well, I didn't explained too much about this to be true. What I had in mind was something like a little quest for particular items (keys or whatever, i.e. Fable magic doors), that's why ID's are not stackable by design.

21. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > It's a very good design decision, thanks for sharing this with everyone!

Muppo likes this.
  22. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

I've made a simple combo with 3 hits, stop movement and dash/jump turning off while attacking. I also add customizable attack force for each strike. But still, each attack have no flow transition between each other, they all have transitions -attack1-idle-attack2-idle-attack3 and so on. Now I think how to make smooth transitions between different attacks.

Mindjar, Muppo and skayster like this.
  23. skayster

skayster

@steelhamsterstudio that looks great! Music definitely fits the battle ;) I am curious what the "stop movement and dash/jump turning off while attacking" timing is based on? As in, for how long does it turn off abilities and can you extend the timing based on the attack length? Thanks

steelhamsterstudio likes this.
  24. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@skayster Thanks! But unfortunately this music from TES: Morrowind and all SFX is from DMC3, but I'll change it in future when I find appropriate sound pack.
    Yeah, stop motion based on turn off/on abilities and set the Movement Multiplier to (0-0.05f) when the attack starts and ends. I added few methods to MeleeWeapon class, also there is force impulse at the moment when the damage zone active.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  25. reuno

reuno

@steelhamsterstudio > I never knew "Darkest Dungeon as a platformer" was something I wanted :)
    It's really nice, thanks a lot for sharing this!

26. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@reuno :) That was the first idea after the first time I saw art style and gameplay of the Darkest Dungeon. Mike Mignola comics style was carefully redrawn and implemented in this game. It is really cool when Art meets gameplay in such interesting way.
    I hope I can do some simple combo between fast and charged attacks with different knockback effects for the enemy.

27. reuno

reuno

@steelhamsterstudio > And just to be clear I meant that in a good way, it doesn't look like a rip off or anything. It's a very good job, and I'd definitely buy that (and I don't say that often).

28. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@reuno I can't wait the moment when I finish learning all stuff I need in Corgi Engine. Then I'll start to redraw and remake all art and animations for the test level from the scratch. Because right now all materials are old and I can do the much better art style and movement for the characters. This will be not fast but it is inevitable.

reuno likes this.
  29. skayster

skayster

- Adds an option to override the default prompt gameobject for button operated zones (and dialogue zones).
    - Adds a dedicated interaction button, separate from jump, to use to interact with zones, dialogues, etc

Yes, yes yes! This will make my future updates so much faster :)

- Adds damage and death animation parameters
    How is this different from the Alive-False parameter and what new things does the damage parameter do? Thanks!

30. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

When I update... everything remains the same, however my Inventory no longer shows my icons of the items I pick up - though they are still picked up.

31. Muppo

Muppo

@steelhamsterstudio
    Did you customize character handle weapon script as @reuno suggested or did you find another way to get it working? It looks pretty good!
    I want to do something similar but my last tries wasn't successful.

32. steelhamsterstudio

steelhamsterstudio

@Muppo I worked in MeleeWeapon script. I have initialized corgi controller/dash/jump in parent and use some methods to control forces and so on. Right now I working on the way to send messages to animator about what attack animation should be played and how to isolate combo sequences from other movements.
    I think about waiting for 4.6 Corgi to look how combo will be done there and meanwhile I look other Corgi stuff.

@reuno where can I test damage/death animation parameters? I try to find it in "health" and there was a trigger "Damage", but when I put this trigger into animator and made a transition to the track it wasn't be played. Maybe I did something wrong.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    reuno likes this.
  33. Muppo

Muppo

34. reuno

reuno

@skayster > You now get two new trigger parameters, Damage and Death that get triggered everytime you get hurt or die. The Alive bool parameter is still there too.
    @jasonxtate66 > You might want to try to reset your inventories. Please use the support email and provide more info if the problem persists.
    @steelhamsterstudio > Are you using 4.5.1? This parameter is only present in 4.5.1.
    I've just tested it again (just to be sure, and it works just fine) :
    upload_2018-4-28_11-21-20.png

As it may not be super clear, on the left you can see a bear AI running into a (now hidden by particles) Minimal rectangle, whose animator's got a Damage trigger on it. Maybe what's happening is that your transition doesn't have the proper setup, or it gets interrupted by another animation.

35. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > "change the weapons to my old animations"? I'm sorry but it's very hard to understand what you're talking about. As I said, I'd need more context and details about what's happening. You don't even mention what version you're going from/to, or what "adapted my character" entails. It's way too vague to help you.

36. Muppo

Muppo

Made some stuff for my game.

Hidding platform system

Invisibility ability and items

Bonus: old conversational system prototype from 4.2

Love to customize Corgi Engine.

MudPuppet, DrOcto, skayster and 2 others like this.
  37. rysone

rysone

Where is this repo? I didnt know of a repository..

38. reuno

reuno

39. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

@reuno Would it be possible to know what the new AI behaviours are in the next update to know if it is worth the wait ? If it does not do what I need I will gladly work on a solution myself without waiting for the update. Thanks.

40. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

It took me about a day and a half to update to 4.5.1 and adjust things without any errors.

41. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Interested in your conversational system. It would be cool if you implemented the character attacking you if you said the wrong answer, or could pay him from your coins/score to pass. Might have to try it out!

42. reuno

reuno

@MisterDeum > Unfortunately I don't have a definitive list of these for now, but when I do I'll let you know!
    @jasonxtate66 > But according to your emails, this has nothing to do with 4.5.1 right? Or even the Corgi Engine? You just didn't have your levels in your build settings. This is just standard Unity. Or am I missing something here? :)

43. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I just wanted to say thank you to everybody that has been contributing to the engine 'extensions'. I have been trying to sort out issues with my own little quest system as it is separate to CE dialogue and all attempts to combine the two have failed thus far. I am hoping that some of the current extensions may help me finally get this issue sorted when I get a chance to look into it again. Kudos to all!

Muppo and reuno like this.
  44. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

I had to change/create some new prefabs because some of mine were based off of old demos, that I'd extended upon. The problem was simple for the levels - after I updated I had to change the string in my LevelSelection.

45. karmik

karmik

Hi all just curious. So does the inventory engine work as a seperate entity. Imean can i just export the folder and import to another project i am working on. Sorry away from laptop and realised Corgi also has inventory system

46. reuno

reuno

@karmik > Yes, absolutely. It's a standalone solution, also sold separately.
    You can use it with the Corgi Engine, and there are dedicated examples of that, or you can use it on its own, it's up to you!

karmik likes this.
  47. Muppo

Muppo

@reuno
    Already have invisibility working without modding AI so don't need it right now but maybe you can include a visible state check on a future release? I think it can be useful not just for this but open the door to chasing or not player when distance is greater than X.

Holy moly. Waiting for it!

48. reuno

reuno

@Muppo, @MisterDeum > Or we do it the other way around, tell me what you'd like and I'll tell you if it's gonna be in it :)

49. skayster

skayster

@reuno
    We get to talk about a wishlist! :) These are the things that I would love to see that are related to AI:

- Having a field of vision that's not just a straight line. Eg: if you are close to the enemy, jetpacking above it's head - it can still see you. So a circular field of vision instead of a single straight line. Maybe adding multiple follow/shoot raycasts that are both horizontal, vertical and diagonal
    - If the AI starts an attack they have to finish it, even if the player jumps out of view. At the moment if you have AI shoot with initial delay and keep jumping around the enemy, then they don't take a single shot and the animations can't play properly as the AI resumes walking as soon as you jump out of their raycast. (I think a good example is in @steelhamsterstudio video where the enemies keep spitting green goo, not moving till they finish, even when player runs away)
    - A more interesting patrol. For example walk, stop, walk, stop. Imagine a slug. Or walk/jump/walk - imagine a bunny or blob.
    - AI patrol area, not just till it hits a wall
    - Any flying enemies! This again ties into a field of vision being a circle, otherwise it's hard to make them "see" the player.
    - as a ghost through platforms
    - reacting to platforms
    - A command list for AI (eg: dash/jump/crouch every x second or when they see the "player")
    - AI swapping to a new weapon, when AI health falls below X.
    - AI shoot on sight/follow on sight abilities turning on only after the player hits it (basically becoming hostile).

50. Muppo

Muppo

My vote on these and my two cents:

- Aim. Give the enemy the ability to aim player when shot, no matter what Y value they have.
    - AI follow enhance: give entity the ability to use ladders and doors.
    - AI behaviour manager. More than one behaviour can be created and AI can change from a state to another based on conditions like health, time or area where it is defined on this specific component. (this will allow the last two suggestions from @skayster and more)

My solution for flying enemies (not perfect but works)

Last edited: May 2, 2018