Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

@reuno Now if you could bless us with a ledge grab or even a room bounds instead of a single level bounds ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. reuno

reuno

@MisterDeum > It's on the todo list, and quite high too!
    Next version (4.6) will be focused on more weapon options (combos!) and (maybe) more AI behaviors.
    And then 4.7 will be about more abilities, very probably (stairs, probably ledge grab too, and a few surprises).
    Take all this with a big grain of salt, I don't like planning stuff that far ahead :)

limo, Bhanshee00 and MisterDeum like this.
  3. MisterDeum

MisterDeum

@reuno You are really making my life easier ! Super Merci !

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    reuno likes this.
  4. prethon

prethon

- Combos:):):):):):):):):):):):)
    - More AI behaviors :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

It's what I want the most

reuno likes this.
  5. Muppo

Muppo

Nice to know some of the roadmap you have in mind for future versions @reuno.
    Finally 4.5 arrives just in time, I was about to start creating levels for this little project I'm working on:

There are more screenshots on the project website, www.ralesizo.com ;)

skayster and reuno like this.
  6. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > These are some cute tiles! Thanks for sharing this!

7. knuppel

knuppel

That's what I'm working on:

8. Muppo

Muppo

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  9. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

@Muppo Hey, emm yep i'm doing everything with plasticine, so it will be a claymation game =D

Muppo likes this.
  10. xpachin

xpachin

god, that sounds amazing!!!
    still waiting minimap tough :p

11. Zehru

Zehru

hey everyone!
    Firstly I would like to thank you @reuno for the really fast answer on the support email.

I would like to ask you guys if any of you had success trying to set the player to stick to another wall after doing a walljump.
    It would be great to have some kind of light to know what I need to do in order to achieve it. :D

12. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @The-Britain , I guess you should mention which versions of Unity and Corgi Engine you're using to help Reuno tracking down the problem easier. :)

reuno likes this.
  13. reuno

reuno

@CHEMAX3X > Wow, that's seriously impressive mate. Please keep me posted on the progress, I can't wait to see more of this!
    @xpachin > The minimap is still on the list but hasn't had much votes so far.
    @The-Britain > I'm afraid I'll indeed need more details to help you here. What level (second level of what?), what item, what version of Unity, what version of the engine, and as much details as you can provide :)

14. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > Sure, don't hesitate to drop me an email on the support email with the answers to the question in my previous message, otherwise I can't replicate it.

15. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

reuno likes this.
  16. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

Hi @reuno,

today I tried update my project to 4.5 version and I found, that my water zone doesn't work now. I tied scene RetroAdventure1 and looks like water zone has bug or something was changed but not fixed for water zone.

Best regards,
    AndyGFX

17. reuno

reuno

@AndyGFX > Please use the support email if you think you've found a bug, and please describe what version you use, what the problem is (something "not working" is a bit too vague), how to reproduce on a vanilla version of the engine, etc. Thanks!

18. Muppo

Muppo

@AndyGFX , just to be sure, Have you checked the Character Jump Override component configuration?
    I thought it was broken myself until I changed the settings there.

reuno likes this.
  19. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

@Muppo, JumpRestrictions is set to CantJump by default in fresh loaded Corgi asset and bacause I never changed this component in example scene, for me is as default setup for this component. Works when is set to CanJumpAnywhereAnyNumberOfTimes.

Corgi.PNG

20. Muppo

Muppo

@AndyGFX That's exactly what I mean ;)

reuno likes this.
  21. AndyGFX

AndyGFX

Thanks for hint.

Muppo likes this.
  22. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > Directional dash is on the todo list, and coming in a future update. Not sure what's wrong with your code, but maybe use some debug logs to figure out what's happening.
    Edit : you might want to reset gravity just like it's done in the regular dash, that's probably your problem here if the character remains floating.

23. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > Well, as I said this feature is on my todo list. Feel free to implement it on your own in the meantime if you don't want to wait for the update, but I can't debug everybody's code, sorry :) There are many examples you can check if you want to get familiar with similar abilities though, from the dash, obviously, to the jump or the jetpack. From there, implementing a directional dash should be trivial :)
    As I said, in your case you'll probably want to check how you handle your gravity first. Good luck!
    If you have a specific question about the engine though, feel free to contact me on the support email.

24. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > Oh I don't think it's a bug, SetVerticalForce is used by a lot of abilities and props throughout the engine, from the dash itself to ladders for example, and I'm pretty sure it works just fine :) You probably have something that sets it to zero somewhere. Once again, I'd go with gravity on this, it could be the reason. If the problem persists let me know!

25. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > Thanks for sharing this! When you're happy with it, and if you want to, I can add that to the extensions repository on github.

26. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > For the ground flag the best way would be to query the controller's state, as the HztalMovement ability doesn't have that info, or maybe I don't understand what you're referring to. As for the update loop, that'd be the Ability's ProcessAbility method. All that is explained in the API doc by the way (or the comments).

27. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > For the third time now, please use the support email if you think you've found a bug, and please provide details on how to reproduce, ideally in a demo level. I can't help you otherwise.
    Moving platforms have been in the engine for a long, long time now, and clipping issues have never been reported. So either it's a rare and unique bug, and I'll need more details, or it's a setup issue on your side, which seems the most logical option here. In any case, once again, please use the support email, thanks.

28. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > Well yes, I have, twice actually :
    upload_2018-4-8_14-32-32.png
    upload_2018-4-8_14-33-4.png

And again, I need exact steps to reproduce, this screenshot doesn't give me all the info I need. I'd rather you modify an existing platform somewhere in a demo scene and give me steps. And again, please use the support email for this, thanks.

And as I've explained to you before, and as another user did as well, I'll need more info ("latest version" doesn't cut it, please give me the exact numbers mentioned in the readme or start screen, thanks) :
    upload_2018-4-8_14-36-28.png

29. reuno

reuno

And just in case anybody doubts the robustness of the moving platforms in the Corgi Engine, I just recorded a few tests :)

@The-Britain > My guess in your case would be a bad layer setting, but really it could be anything, so again send me more info and I'll be happy to help pinpoint the problem.

Edit : removed the keyboard sounds from the video, sorry about that!

Zehru likes this.
  30. reuno

reuno

@The-Britain > I have, and it works as expected. Again, please use the support email.
    That's the third time you come here and post that you've found a bug. I understand things may be sometimes complex to setup, or not working as you expect them to. But chances are it's just a setup issue, and the easiest way for me to help you is if you send me the info I require.

31. Muppo

Muppo

@reuno
    Maybe will be a good idea to have the support email on your signature (I think you mention it sometime ago, maybe?). New asset store doesn't show the proper link.

For the record, this is the one which old asset store shows: unitysupport@moremountains.com

32. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > To be fair, most people, if not all (98.4% according to my personal stats) submit support requests via the support email (27% via the old link, the rest of these 98.4% via each asset's contact form, like http://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/corgi-engine-contact). The remaining 1.6% either use the forum, the youtube comments (why), twitter, my personal email (how), or the review system.

So it's only a very small minority that can't seem to follow that process. So sure, I could add the link to my signature, but it's already written pretty much everywhere, there's a link to the support website (which is of course the preferred way of contact, on the new asset's page) at this point it's just that people don't read, or don't want to. Of course it's hard to estimate how many people simply can't find a way to contact me, but hopefully with that many contact channels that number is quite low.

33. Muppo

Muppo

Ah! Sorry about that then, forget what I said.

34. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Oh but it's a good point. Being the top selling "complete projects" asset on the store comes with the fact that I also get tons of support requests. Sure, the new documentation helped reduce the amount of daily questions I get, but it's still a lot of work. That's why it's easier to track if people just use the dedicated contact form. Ideally I'd prefer Unity to handle it natively, either from Unity directly, or via the Asset Store. That'd simplify everything.

35. NEHWind2

NEHWind2

Hey there, Reuno!

My brother and I recently released our first game and it wouldn't have been possible without you and your help! I wanted to say thank you and to share my game with you and everyone on the forum. It's called Entertainment Hero. It's the first game we've ever made and it's inspired by the Classic Mega Man games. There are nine levels to run, jump and shoot through, secrets to find and an end boss to defeat. It's nothing earth-shattering but it's fun!

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this awesome asset and for all the help you give us!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/777540/Entertainment_Hero/

polyconvex, Zehru, Muppo and 2 others like this.
  36. reuno

reuno

@NEHWind2 > That's awesome! Congratulations on your release, and thanks for sharing this here!

37. Zehru

Zehru

38. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

Hello. how to beat a bug. There is a situation on screenShot. There are two one way platforms. One slightly higher than the other. If you are approaching a platform that is slightly higher, the player throws up.
    Sorry for my English
    corgiBug.jpg

39. reuno

reuno

@Prog-Maker > That's not a bug, that's by design. The engine is opinionated and encourages good level design.
    I don't recommend placing one way platforms that way. If you want to do it, feel free to modify (or better, extend) the controller to do so.

40. Cloggin

Cloggin

Hey so this is like 9 months later, but between the AIComplex.cs from WarpZone and your modification, you two have resolved 90% of what I've been trying to build on my own for the last 3 months. HUGE thanks!

Now, to get these enemies to climb bidirectional ladders after my hero...(Unless y'all figured it out already, in which case shoot me a link so my eyeballs stop bleeding!)

reuno likes this.
  41. Cloggin

Cloggin

Yeah can I get in on this?

42. Cloggin

Cloggin

Alright developers, I've got an idea to run by you. So I've been trying to play around with the idea of vehicles connected to the Character Grip functionality. The thought process is that the *Grip* will allow me to place the character in a certain space within a (visually represented) vehicle, paired with a moving platform (for uncontrollable vehicles) I almost get what I need. I must be going about this all wrong.

So theorize this interaction: character jumps into a rail car, rail car is going to follow a movement path (once), and at anywhere along or at the end of the path, the character can jump out of the car. Is the best approach to this to use Character Grip, Moving Platform(s), or some other approach? (And later I'll ask about controlling the speed of the vehicle (or pseudo parent object).

Thoughts?

43. reuno

reuno

@Cloggin > I'd recommend creating a dedicated ability for that, instead of trying to make another one fit with a feature it hasn't been designed to handle. It can be done in a handful of few lines of code, simply preventing movement when entering a zone (zone management is already amply covered by its own classes), and enabling it again on a certain action (in the case of a rail car, probably a jump).
    But note that there's no unique way to tackle a problem, and feel free to do it however you prefer. The Grip thing could definitely work too, it just seems a bit too complicated :)

44. Muppo

Muppo

Finally I have some gameplay to show here.
    (Forgive the bad quality, have to do more testing with OBS yet)

A bit short indeed, plan to release several of this kind meanwhile I make more levels.

@Cloggin "Yeah can I get in on this?"
    If you are asking for the scripts, check out Corgi Engine Extensions repository @reuno created a few days before that post.

Fabioisriva, skayster, Zehru and 2 others like this.
  45. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Damn that's cute. Love that mushroom animation! Thanks a lot for sharing this!
    Keep them coming, it's great to see what you're up to :)

46. Muppo

Muppo

Thanks @reuno :)
    There is some new stuff I've being adding to the base CE4.5, nothing really complex but makes the game have variety.
    Also, that mushroom like Sonic springs is a really simply code but I'm willing to share if anyone is interested (as always, if you don't mind because it's a rewriting of your jumper code. Well, more like taking pieces from here and there from another scripts, you know)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    reuno likes this.
  47. Prog-Maker

Prog-Maker

I would like to invite you to contribute to the Unity Cinemahine in LevelManager. And the support of Timeline will be.

48. reuno

reuno

@Prog-Maker > Contribute to Cinemachine? I'm not sure what you mean. Is this a question?

49. Ordnas006

Ordnas006

reuno, CHEMAX3X, limo and 2 others like this.
  50. reuno

reuno

@Ordnas006 > Thanks for sharing this here! I love these skeletons, they're very cute!

Ordnas006 likes this.