Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. IsntCo

IsntCo

Is the most recent package missing scenes? The documentation mentions in Minimal scenes demo'ing weapons, keys and inventory, but those aren't in the package.

2. IsntCo

IsntCo

Nevermind, looks like I had to upgrade to 2017.

3. reuno

reuno

@Appminis > Glad you figured it out! It's the first, highlighted item of the FAQ by the way :)

4. IsntCo

IsntCo

Had read through all the documentation, must have missed it! Cheers-

reuno likes this.
  5. reuno

reuno

I may not give estimates, but I can give sneak peeks.

Zehru, Bagnol, Muppo and 4 others like this.
  6. Shilo

Shilo

I can't express how excited I am to see this feature! I would pay extra for a Corgi-specific tilemap editor.

This is the major feature this engine is missing. I'm currently using Super Tilemap Editor with Corgi and I don't feel like they work smoothly enough with each other. Can you give us more details about the specifics of this feature?

Keep up the good work, I love everything about your engine.

7. reuno

reuno

@Shilo > It's using Unity's new Tilemap feature. It's not really corgi specific, more of an example of how you can use that new Unity feature along with the engine.

Shilo likes this.
  8. skayster

skayster

I re-watched this gif on loop probably 20 times.... Looking good!

9. Shilo

Shilo

@reuno I'm still looking forward to it. Maybe there's pros to using Unity's tilemap system over Super Tilemap Editor.

Also, I've been trying to decide if I want to create tile-based maps or hand drawn maps. I saw your "Corgi Engine + Handcrafted Art - 2D Platformer Mega Bundle" asset and I love it. Is there any chance to add an upgrade option to it since I already have the original engine? Also, would it be possible to share your technique of how you created the levels via the handcrafted art (collision wise)? Although, I assume its pretty straight forward and just a bunch of polygon colliders around the handcrafted art.

Edit: My apologizes, I just realized it does have an upgrade price. I assumed it was a sale price.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. egem2015

egem2015

New tilemap is really great. i am really excited about it. Reuno , your asset is great , you know it does not need to say this. anyway But I wish there would be a BOSS FIGHT scene .

reuno and Shilo like this.
  11. Shilo

Shilo

+1 to a boss fight scene. I guess that might be outside of the scope of the engine to create a complex AI system, but it would definitely be a neat feature.

12. Muppo

Muppo

If I'm not wrong, a bit more complex AI behaviour has been requested before on this thread. This is a specific thing, any of us can have a totally different idea for a boss fight. However a conditional AI behaviour complexer than just shooting you at sight may open the door for creating this kind of enemies (ie. when reach 10 points of health increase walking speed)

Shilo likes this.
  13. reuno

reuno

You're absolutely right and that's my current plan :)

Muppo and Shilo like this.
  14. xpachin

xpachin

reuno likes this.
  15. reuno

reuno

@xpachin > It does, it's been in this pack for a few months now actually :)
    I should mention that more probably.
    And yeah I saw that tutorial, it's awesome. Mike Geig is a hero of mine, him doing a Corgi Engine tutorial is one of the best thing that's happened to me this year!

16. skayster

skayster

Congrats! And yes, Corgi has been popping up in my newsletters and similar as well. Well done!

Can I ask for a feature for some future release? Would it be possible to add an easy way to set up a different "A-Button" for different areas. It would be nice if it was possible to set a different looking prompt for different things, such as dialogues/doors/items. Not a big deal, just would be nice if it was as easy to change as most things in Corgi :)

17. iamsexymike

iamsexymike

Hi I am trying to download the latest version of Corgi engine and I am not getting the inventory Engine with it.
    When I look at the asset store I clearly see that it is there but when I download and import the corgi engine it is not included in my assets. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks

18. reuno

reuno

@skayster > I see what you mean. It's tricky though, as this may work with an xbox pad, but I have to do it at scale (mobile, PC, etc), so it's really not ideal, plus it's very easy to extend right now. So noted, but I probably won't tackle that anytime soon, unless tons of people request it.
    @iamsexymike > The solution is to read the very first item of the FAQ :)

19. mightyboat

mightyboat

@reuno I'm trying to make a character invulnerable on spawn. I modified the standard LevelManager.InitiatePlayableCharacters function, so that during the spawn loop, after the Instantiate function, it calls the DamageDisabled function on the Health component:

Code (CSharp):
    2. ...
    3. newPlayer.GetComponent<Health>().DamageDisabled();
    4. ...
    This doesn't seem to work. The character still takes damage, and when I inspect the character during play, the "Invulnerable" checkbox on the Health component is unchecked.

Any ideas?

20. skayster

skayster

@reuno got it. No worries, it was a minor thing anyway :)

21. Muppo

Muppo

Congrats @reuno , well deserved to be in the essentials 2D pack.

About the complex AI stuff, can't wait to see what do you have in the work ;)

22. reuno

reuno

@mightyboat > Well it should work, that method is used in other parts and working just fine, just gave it a try.
    Maybe you're calling it too soon and it's overridden? Hard to tell without more details.
    My advice would be to add (temporarily) a debug log inside that method (and potentially others) to see when it's called and what your problem might be.
    @Muppo > Thanks!

23. Ogymaje

Ogymaje

Hi, thanks for your package it's really awsome, we use it in a student project and we've encounter a big bug, i don't know if it's the right place to talk about.

When we try wall clinging and wall jump on editor works just fine with animation (rectangle player prefab) but when we try to build the scene and test our level on .exe the wall clinging / wall jump doesn't work anymore, we have search for a few days but have no idea what's wrong ( and we have discovered that the problem also occures on every other demo scene that we build, and works fine on editor)

(Sorry for my english i hope i was clear)

Merci

24. reuno

reuno

@Ogymaje > Sorry about that, it's a (very weird) known bug, already fixed. The fix will be included in the next release, coming really soon now.

Ogymaje likes this.
  25. Ogymaje

Ogymaje

thanks for replying so quickly,
    Glad to know you already aware of that and and fix is coming ^^

we'll be looking for it

thanks

reuno likes this.
  26. mightyboat

mightyboat

The thing that got me confused was that I added logging before and after the piece of code that calls DamageDisabled, and it displays what we expect (first it displays false (by default character is not invulnerable), then after the function call, it returns true (the DamageDisabled function set the invulnerable property to true).

Yet, the characters were still not invulnerable.

The issue was that in the initialisation function of the Health script, there's a call to DamageEnabled. So everytime I try to disable damage via the level manager, the value is overriden by the Health initialise function.

I got around it by modifying the Health script to check the value of a variable (which is set by the level manager script before it initialises) before enable/disabling invulnerability.

It's not as clean as I wanted but it works.

27. reuno

reuno

@mightyboat > In that case, extending the script instead of modifying it would be the way to go, otherwise you'll lose your changes when the next update comes (and it's coming soon) :)

skayster likes this.
  28. mightyboat

mightyboat

Good point. Also, looking forward to the next update!

reuno likes this.
  29. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v4.3 of the Corgi Engine to the Asset Store.
    It comes with quite a lot of features, improvements and bugfixes, but the biggest part is the support and examples for Unity's new Tilemap system.
    As usual, expect a slight delay until Unity validates the new version, and make sure you have 2017.2 or more before updating, or you won't get the latest version.

Here's a video showcasing the major new features :

And here are the full release notes :

- Adds a new "Retro" environment, that showcases how to use Unity's new Tilemap system along with the Corgi Engine
    - Adds 3 new scenes : RetroClouds, RetroForest and RetroMountains
    - Adds a new playable RetroCorgi, complete with 16 animations and 3 new weapons
    - Adds two new enemies : RetroBlob and RetroSpaceman
    - Adds timed spawners, that allow you to spawn enemies (and any object you want) regularly or at random time intervals
    - Adds a new ability : CharacterParticles, that allows you to turn a particle emitter on or off, based on what ability is currently active
    - Adds a new demo scene : MinimalRooms, that demonstrates how you can build scenes containing multiple rooms and link them with doors, and have smooth transitions between doors.
    - Adds a new public method to the CorgiController to cast rays using the built-in configuration from other classes
    - Adds an option on Weapons to modify the movement speed while attacking, allowing you to prevent movement, have you character move slower, or even move backwards (heavy machinegun style).
    - Adds more options to teleporters, to allow for custom fades when entering a teleporter/door, and the option to teleport the camera to target instantly.
    - Adds more options to alter or reset the current controller's speed when entering a volume zone (wind, water, etc). - Adds an option to instantly reposition the camera to the player character's position on respawn
    - Adds an option to set a delay before a character's destroy/or/disable after death
    - Adds horizontal input threshold to the LookUp ability, to allow for finer tweaking of when it triggers.
    - Adds a public way to check the current achievement's list and access its contents' properties
    - Adds more options for pickable items : a new self contained picker class, and more control over picked quantities when inventory is full
    - Adds an option to automatically reposition a ladder's platform on start
    - Adds an option on AutoRespawn component to reposition to initial position on respawn
    - Fixes a bug that could happen when jumping at the exact same frame you start climbing down a ladder
    - Fixes collider size bugs that could happen when walking down a ladder from a 1way platform
    - Fixes a bug that would cause enemies to glitch in certain situations in one way levels.
    - Fixes a few polygon colliders points coordinates for slopes prefabs in the Minimal demo
    - Removes an unused animation parameter in the Rectangle's animator
    - Fixes a few minor Healthbar display timing related bugs
    - Fixes a bug that would sometimes cause automatic doors to open again after a player death instead of staying shut
    - Falling platforms now respawn correctly when the player dies while the platform is falling
    - Prevents character to remain stuck at crouch speed after death in certain conditions
    - Fixes a few respawn related bugs
    - Fixes a bug that would prevent the pause menu to be usable via keyboard when using inventory displays

I hope you'll like this new version!

Zehru, Shilo, Muppo and 2 others like this.
  30. skayster

skayster

OMG! This is amazing! Can't wait to download it, this will be so great, I am so excited right now. If I could give you 5 stars again I would :)

reuno likes this.
  31. dokrasnov

dokrasnov

I have issues with loading scenes on Android. New scene doesn't load from existing ones.

What I've done:
    - In order to reduce the size of apk file I removed all Demos assets except Corgi2D and Minimal.
    - In Lava level I chenged Level name in "GateToNextLevel" from "LevelSelection" to :Sandbox"
    - In Build Settings I checked only SplashScreen, LoadingScreen, StartScene, Lava ana Sandbox and put Lava scene to the first place in build order. So the order is: Lava, SplashScreen, LoadingScreen, StartScene, Sandbox.
    - In Player settings unchecked "Split application binary".
    - Built the apk and installed on Android

And I start playing on Android with Lava scene, reach the finish point and nothing happens.
    When I test my game in Unity everything works fine. Please help me to solve it.

Corgi Engine v4.2, Unity v5.6.1f1

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  32. reuno

reuno

@dokrasnov > I don't think it's a Corgi Engine issue, there's really nothing platform specific in the engine, looks more like a classic Unity problem. Have you checked for errors in remote debug? It's very likely you get one, and it's very likely it'll help you solve your problem. And please use the support email for support related questions, thanks.

33. Muppo

Muppo

"- Adds timed spawners, that allow you to spawn enemies (and any object you want) regularly or at random time intervals" good one @reuno, I loled with the end of the video :D

Nice news as always, not just the tilemap features but all the new ones. I have to say I'm really interested on knowing more about two poins:

- Adds a new public method to the CorgiController to cast rays using the built-in configuration from other classes
    - Adds more options for pickable items : a new self contained picker class, and more control over picked quantities when inventory is full​

Can't wait to play with 4.3

34. reuno

reuno

@Muppo > Good questions!
    1 - There's now a new CorgiController method that looks like this :
    public virtual bool CastRays(RaycastDirections direction, float rayLength, Color color, ref RaycastHit2D[] storageArray)
    You can use it to cast rays using your controller's current setup, in any direction. Someone requested this, maybe it'll be useful to others. Could be used to perform tests inside your own abilities without having to copy/paste too much code.
    2 - I started a long explanation but I think it'll be quicker like this :

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ItemPicker : MonoBehaviour
    2.     {
    3.         /// the item that should be picked
    4.         [Information("Add this component to a Trigger box collider 2D and it'll make it pickable, and will add the specified item to its target inventory. Just drag a previously created item into the slot below. For more about how to create items, have a look at the documentation. Here you can also specify how many of that item should be picked when picking the object.",InformationAttribute.InformationType.Info,false)]
    5.         public InventoryItem Item ;
    6.         [Header("Pick Quantity")]
    7.         /// the quantity of that item that should be added to the inventory when picked
    8.         public int Quantity = 1;
    9.         [Header("Conditions")]
    10.         /// if you set this to true, a character will be able to pick this item even if its inventory is full
    11.         public bool PickableIfInventoryIsFull = false;
    12.         /// if you set this to true, a character will pick as much from this picker as possible, leaving the rest for later
    13.         public bool PickAsMuchQuantityAsPossible = false;
    14.         /// if you set this to true, the object will be disabled when picked
    15.         public bool DisableObjectWhenDepleted = false;

Muppo likes this.
  35. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Does the Corgi Engine support 2DTK sprites/animations?

36. Shilo

Shilo

@reuno

Thank you so much for the update! It looks great.

I am very excited for the tilemap support and the rooms feature, I'm hoping the rooms feature will possibly allow me to create a somewhat open world system and/or a large world in one scene.

Question:
    When you say support for Unity's Tilemap system, does that mean you implemented specific features to handle Unity's tilemap system, or was there no core changes to support Unity's tilemap system? The reason I ask is because I might prefer to use Super Tilemap Editor (which is known to have a lot more features then Unity's tilemap system). Will the core changes to support Unity's tilemap system also work with Super Tilemap Editor?

Thanks again.

37. giosto

giosto

hey
    is it possible to make Online multiplayer game using Corgi Eengine? have you tried that ?

Shilo likes this.
  38. reuno

reuno

@Kirbychwan > I don't know 2DTK myself but as long as it works with Unity's mecanim, it'll work just fine.
    @giosto > I have, others have, it's possible. Not built-in.
    @Shilo > No major core change (or any core change actually), it's really just examples of how you can mix both. It's actually already "working" in v4.2, you just don't get any examples of it, and seeing the current lack of documentation for the tilemap system, it can be confusing. I don't know STE, but I don't see why it wouldn't work too.

Shilo likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

Oh and by the way, the v4.3 update just hit the Asset Store!
    I hope you'll like it!

Shilo, Zehru, skayster and 3 others like this.
  40. Muppo

Muppo

Tried the new stuff on 4.3 (fast view, will play with it more this weekend) and I have to say that I love the rooms level feature, simply but nice, better than my solution for sure. Looking at the way it works give me ideas to enhance mine.

Also, congrats on that chiptune melodies from Retro Levels, theme2 and theme3 are really neat!

reuno likes this.
  41. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

@reuno Nah, it uses a frame-by-frame animation editor and doesn't use mecanim in general (which is kind of overkill for pixel animation), Bummer. Would be cool if you could add support for it in the future.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/908

reuno likes this.
  42. reuno

reuno

@Kirbychwan > I don't like adding dependencies to other assets, especially ones that have decided they wouldn't apply to Unity standards. But if more people request it we'll see! As far as I can remember, you're the only one in close to 3 years.

Shilo likes this.
  43. WarpZone

WarpZone

Just so everyone knows, there's a bug on the title screen. As soon as you move the mouse cursor, the title screen start button "clicks itself." If you just replace the graphics and upload this to Steam, everyone is going to think your product is unprofessional.

Now, reuno has been told about this bug via email since 4.2, but steadfastly refuses to help me fix, and it remains unfixed in 4.3. Maybe it's part of the weird "security through obscurity" thing he's trying to do to combat piracy of his asset, so it's unusable without support directly from him, I don't know. What I do know, despite reuno's best efforts, is how to fix it. It literally takes 30 seconds to fix, but 2 weeks to figure out how to fix it if you try to figure out what's wrong by looking at the script. Turns out the script is perfectly fine, it's just used wrongly in the scene.

To fix the Title Screen Start Button Bug in Corgi Engine 4.3:
    1. Open the scene CorgiEngine/Common/StartScreen
    2. In the Hierarchy, select UICamera > Canvas > Panel
    3. In the Inspector, scroll down to the MM Touch Button (Script)
    4. In the Inspector, click the + under the Button Released event
    5. Drag the UICamera > Canvas > StartScreen gameobject from the Hierarchy to None(Object) under Button Released event in the Inspector
    6. In the Inspector, click the No Function dropdown under Button Released and change it to StartScreen.ButtonPressed
    7. In the Inspector, under Button Pressed First Time, press - to delete the original, broken callback.

I have no idea if this is a Unity engine bug that crept in after an update, or just bad design on reuno's part, or some sort of deliberate attempt at reducing the usability of the product by pirates. But since I contacted him using the support email and he still refused to help me with it, I'm assuming he either didn't know how to fix it, or didn't realize the fix would be this quick and easy.

Whatever. It's fixed now. The fix is public now. I hereby release all steps outlined in this post into the public domain. Everyone reading this now knows how to fix the broken implementation that reuno shipped with the Asset. It's even reasonable to assume reuno himself knows the fix, starting the moment he replies to any post in this thread after this one.

Therefore: If this is not fixed in the next Corgi Engine release after 4.3, you can assume it's because reuno wants your game to have a broken title screen.

All of that said, Corgi engine remains an excellent product that fills a huge hole in Unity's basic capabilities and should be in every Unity user's toolbox. Despite my hostile tone and us-vs-them mentality towards asset developers, I sincerely hope this asset continues to sell well and print money for reuno. It's an excellent asset and as far as I'm concerned, he's earned every penny of my money. The only reason I'm this combative is because I'm the paying customer here. Reuno is not my partner. He's a corporation I bought something from, and the thing I bought didn't quite work right, and he refused to fix it. I know perfectly well that if I release a game on Steam, my customers are going to rip me apart if the game is anything less than 100% functional, so why should I hold reuno, other asset developers, and even Unity Team itself to any lower standard?

Update: No wait, he also added a Mouse Mode checkbox. I totally didn't see that. I just fixed it in 4.2, updated to 4.3, and confirmed my hackish 'fix' still worked. Wow. You win this round, renuo.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  44. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > You realize that's what I answered you via email just after you asked? Like 5 hours after you asked, 10 days ago now. "As explained there http://corgi-engine-docs.moremountains.com/ui.html#menus, most UI elements in the Corgi Engine make use of Nice Touch, for cross platform functionality. If you plan to use a mouse, you need to check "mouse mode". I think it's explained in the Nice Touch documentation too."

I'd really appreciate it if you stopped with that attitude of yours. That's crazy level here.
    And what's with the "you win this round"? I've helped you tons of times, despite your attitude, and now here you come and accuse me of "refusing to fix" things? This is not a fight, you're just being super weird. For the last time, please stop.

Pan_Likes_Brains likes this.
  45. Zehru

Zehru

Hello @reuno :)
    I would like to do a request and ask for tips about the Corgi engine and gamedev in general ^_^ I hope they aren't so hard.

1- I've been using tags in Unity for lots of different things since I started to Dev. I've seen some multiple tagging systems on the asset store( and they are mostly free) and they are a very good solution(I think) for checking ground type to play specific sounds( or the bullet contact with something that can maybe reflect it).
    However, I would love to know what do you think about using them. Is it a bad idea using tags for checking too much things?
    2- the request I would like to do( maybe not exactly a request) is for you to create a simple character using Anima2d as an example( like the one from Spine or the PixelCorgi).
    I know how it works to do an Anima2d character, but I assume that most of people that buy your asset are beginners, so it would be good for them having an anima2d example as well ^^
    Sorry for bothering and have a good day! :)

46. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > I don't think there's anything wrong with using tags, that's what they were designed for. I don't rely on them much myself, because I prefer relying on components. I may forget to tag something as an enemy or a player, but if it has a Player component on it, it's definitely a player, see what I mean? But really tags are a great system and if it works for you, keep using it!
    As for anima2D, I didn't even know it existed before you mentioned it. Unless it becomes a major player, I don't think I will. It's just very hard to add examples based on 3rd party software. It requires a lot of maintenance, and just doing it for Spine, seeing the frequency of their updates, makes it a bit of a pain. Does it use Mecanim? Because if it does there isn't much you need to know, it's just like other characters in the engine :)

Zehru likes this.
  47. Zehru

Zehru

Thanks for the REALLY quick reply hahaha :)
    Anima2D is a spine-like asset that Unity is integrating with the engine.
    At the moment it uses its own bones system and the animator to animate( so you can probably use mecanim as well), but I totally understand what you mean about how difficult is to support as you do with the spine example.
    About the tags and components, I got the idea! And for real, I think it's way better your idea of using components, as it's something that is natively supported( different from multiple tags per object).
    Thank you :)

reuno likes this.
  48. Sreejith

Sreejith

49. Sreejith

Sreejith

Hi,

Can we use all the assets in the game(like backgrounds and character) if we buy the engine?

Thanks,
    Sreejith

50. reuno

reuno

@Sreejith > Yes. They're placeholders though, I'd recommend replacing them with your own art.