Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Sanhueza

Sanhueza

Thank you for the honest reply, based on your experience of working on both.

The reason I'm asking is because an isometric (half top-down, half side-scroller) game like "Double Dragon", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", and other brawlers are essentially 2D games, but with an added axis of movement of up/away-from-viewer and down/towards-viewer. Or is that an incorrect assessment, and they're more like top-down games with the added option of jumping and different elevations of platforms (but not the same as a real platformer)?
    I'm also interested in Corgi for the tight non-physics controls.

If it wouldn't be easy for a programmer to modify Corgi for this additional dimension of movement, are there other engines that you know of for that kind of game with tight controls that you'd recommend? Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. reuno

reuno

@Sanhueza > I don't have any system to recommend, but as I said, I'm working on one right now.

Sanhueza likes this.
  3. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hey Reuno! Just want to say I love the asset. I would like to also suggest some kind of attack combo system. Not sure if melee attacking is a priority or something you feel is necessary to include but I think it would be really useful for those of us making metroidvanias.

4. reuno

reuno

@nosajtevol > Combos are definitely on the todo list, lots of requests for these :) Glad you like the engine!

nosajtevol likes this.
  5. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Really happy to hear! General timeline estimate? (No pressure)

6. xpachin

xpachin

metroidvania rulz! :D:p

nosajtevol and Zehru like this.
  7. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Agreed!

8. reuno

reuno

@nosajtevol > No estimate, I don't give ETAs. Things get released when they're done and properly tested :)

nosajtevol likes this.
  9. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Fair enough! Thanks again

reuno likes this.
  10. skayster

skayster

If anyone knows how to make an extended script which would allow Patrol with a few second Idling at certain points that would be much appreciated :)

@LittleBlueHat I can't find your Patrol distance limit script in the ExtensionsHub, would you mind sharing?

11. cdutoit

cdutoit

First, echo the sentiments at what a great engine this is.

Question: There is another platformer out there on the asset store that for 2.5d platforming supports corners...for example you can do a 90 degree turn. It's still a 2.5d platformer, but when you turn a corner the plane shifts.

Has anybody figured out if this is possible with Corgi? Any hints? :) Thanks

Sanhueza likes this.
  12. reuno

reuno

@cdutoit > A very easy way to do it is to just rotate the background (and colliders). I can add an example of that in a future version, it's super simple.

Muppo likes this.
  13. cdutoit

cdutoit

@reuno thanks for the speedy reply. I'll play around with your suggestion ... I figured it shouldnt be too complex...I was trying to rotate the camera but let me play with your idea. Still would be good for you to add to a future release anyway to remain feature rich...

reuno likes this.
  14. skayster

skayster

I'm so sorry, but I am stuck on something simple. I am trying to add an animation for the door when you open it with a key. I can do it on the chest, but can't find the animator parameter for doors.

15. reuno

reuno

@skayster > That's because by default there's none, you need to add one. Look at the chest to see how it's done.

16. Muppo

Muppo

Playing with scripts again

This time is based on Teleporter, added a couple of options: camera teleport as well as player and freezing camera option for small rooms or whatever you want to use it.

All the stages are in one single level

Get the script here

However, if you die faraway from the level start / last check point, camera will behave like standard speed and the trick will be visible.

@reuno , Could suggest camera controller have an extra option which returns camera to player spawn immediately on a future release?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    reuno and Zehru like this.
  17. skayster

skayster

@reuno Ok, so I couldn't figure out how to add the parameter, kept getting compiler error. However, I managed to add both chest (no items) and door scripts to it and it did the trick. Roundabout solutions, yay! :D

@Muppo That looks great! I will definitely give this a try.

Zehru likes this.
  18. reuno

reuno

@skayster > I'm surprised it works, but hey, why not :)
    @Muppo > Can I add this to the public repo? It looks great!

19. AmobearGame

AmobearGame

Hello Team! I bought this asset.When I build to android mobile and it was interrupt here.I'm using the unity 5.5.3f1

Attached Files:

20. Muppo

Muppo

@skayster Workarounds are always fun if they work. Can you tell us how did you made it?

@reuno Sure, go ahead. I'm glad you like it.
    What do you think about my last suggestion?

@petvenger Corgi Engine 4.2 requires Unity 2017.1.x, maybe that is the issue.
    Take a look at the post from reuno at page 57 on this thread.

21. reuno

reuno

@petvenger > If by "interrupt" you mean it takes a long time, that's due to the PostProcessing stack. It can take up to one hour on the first build. I'd suggest waiting, or removing it if you don't want to.
    @Muppo > Sure, that'd be easy to do. I'll add that to the list.

22. skayster

skayster

@Muppo Sure. Take the Red Door as a starting point and add InventoryEngineChest script next to MovingPlatform script. Activation zone should already have KeyOperatedZone in it, simply duplicate the script there and match its parameters to the one in the chest (specifically the end bit under Key Action"). You should now have two KeyOperatedZone scripts on the same object. Then in the animator just match it to the chest animator (bool: OpenChest).

It works with no issues for me, but I am sure this is not the right way.

Also, if anyone knows how to replicate LittleBlueHat's patrol distance limiter script that he showed us earlier that would be really cool

23. Muppo

Muppo

@skayster
    Ok, so what you did is attach an already animated object to an inanimated one instead adding animator to this one. I would say it's weird but is the kind of things I have done a year ago so, nice it works for you.

InventoryEngineChest is a easy script, try to understand how it works and you will be able to make your own version for your door.

24. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere but could we get the Corgi code in DLLs as an option? In case we don't care to modify the source. It's set up to just replace functions by overriding them anyway. Obviously not a big deal but just preference for compile time and etc.

25. skayster

skayster

@Muppo Oh I know. I am learning, if slowly. Just my third month learning to code/use Unity ;)

...and on a side note, if you are using a moving NPC (such as the Dude from Corgi 2D), and have the "can move while talking" enabled, then the dialogue bubble does not move with the NPC. Just wanted to check if I am doing something wrong (if so I will figure it out) or if this is just how it is. I was trying to do a dog that follows you around while barking, but the bark bubble now stays behind.

26. Muppo

Muppo

In fact that option is about the Player, not the NPC, as it always be. I didn't modify that from the original script.

To achieve that I will play with auto activation, message duration and collider box length, so the dog will detect you from a distance and bark.

27. reuno

reuno

@JasonBricco > I could definitely look into it, no problem. I'm just not sure how to package it for the asset store though, as I can only submit one package, and having both the "regular" version and the dll one would probably be detected as a conflict or duplicate classes right?

28. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I haven't actually put any assets on the store, so I can't say for sure. But I know that, for example, @Eric5h5 does this with his assets (source code version and dll version). Maybe he could say something about it.

reuno likes this.
  29. luigi7

luigi7

@reuno I know you dont give any ETA but... do you have any new about the famous "castlevania like stairways"? :)

30. reuno

reuno

luigi7 likes this.
  31. IsntCo

IsntCo

Is there a roadmap so we can see what's on the development horizon? :)

32. fancyferret

fancyferret

The author of ORK Framework does this by putting the source code as a separate .zip file included within the ORK package. The DLL version is the "main" asset you install.

He is supposedly working on an ORK/Corgi Engine integration which could be epic. Corgi Engine-based RPGs basically

33. reuno

reuno

@Appminis > There's one. It's not public right now.
    @fancyferret > Oh zipping it would work, thanks for pointing this out.

34. AmobearGame

AmobearGame

I mean It's freeze Unity.I also build it with Unity 2017 but it's still freezing.Can't build to apk.Help me.:(:(:(

35. reuno

reuno

@petvenger > I already did, not sure what else to add. As I said, it can take really long. It's due to Unity's PostProcessing effects, you can either wait or remove them.

36. AmobearGame

AmobearGame

I can't remove them because I want to build to the APK.When I build with Unity 2017.10f3 it show this error
    P/s:I have updated latest version 4.2

Attached Files:

37. reuno

reuno

@petvenger > I'm sorry but this doesn't make much sense. Why couldn't you remove them?
    And that error doesn't have anything to do with the engine. You've changed something, I can't guess what, sorry.

38. AmobearGame

AmobearGame

I really don't change anything.What do you mean about 'remove'?.If remove it then how can I build to android platform.
    I attached photo.please support me.Thank you so much.

39. reuno

reuno

@petvenger > For the last time, it's due to the post processing effects. Remove them. As in "delete the folder". They're just for visual effects. Or, as I've said multiple times now, you can just wait, it'll end eventually. It's a known issue, it's a lib made by Unity, I can't do anything about it. If you have more questions please use the support email, thanks.

40. AmobearGame

AmobearGame

@reuno Thanks for your support.I did it.Corgi engine is really good.If have anything question I will ask you later.Thank you so much.:)

reuno likes this.
  41. UThompson

UThompson

@reuno Hey, so I'm hoping you can give a hint about the problem I'm having with Corgi 4.1 (Lock and Key)
    I have this weird situation where I have a player-controlled CorgiController'ed Character who is walking across platforms, that is sometimes flung into the sky with a _speed of around 100 along y.

Here's some information that we've gleaned, studying the code and experimenting:
    * The event happens when it walks across a platform and reaches another platform approximately half its height higher.
    * This event is not reliable. Sometimes it immediately is raised high enough to be on the next platform, sometimes it goes flying.
    * The number of raycasts doesn't seem to impact how likely this event is. I've tried as low as 1 each for vert and horizontal and as high as 1000 by 1000.
    * The _newPosition.y on the controller shoots to .4 when it first happens and we think this is likely being magnified by Time.deltaTime to create that speed, but we can't see how to avoid this situation.

We spent a few hours yesterday trying to track down and address the issue but had little luck being surveying the problem and I'm hoping you can either point us to a fix or at least clue us in on if we've overlooked anything.

Thanks in advance!

42. xpachin

xpachin

43. reuno

reuno

@UThompson > Could you send me more info over the support email address? Thanks.
    @xpachin > I'll think about it :)

44. jnathanx

jnathanx

I bought the package and I imported it, when testing the weapons system it does not work, I already checked and all the scripts are correct. This is the demo scene, I did not make any changes. I tested on Unity 5.6 and 2017.2x.

45. reuno

reuno

@jnathanx > What do you mean "it does not work"?
    What do you mean you "checked and all the scripts are correct"?
    I'm gonna need more info if you want help. And please, use the support email, thanks.

46. jnathanx

jnathanx

qual o email de suporte?

47. jnathanx

jnathanx

What is the support email?

48. reuno

reuno

@jnathanx > It's on the asset's page. Or use the contact form on the asset's website.

49. Manou1111

Manou1111

Hello I have a problem with slopes, if I lock the framerate very low (10 fps) the player goes through the slope. Other problem is when player is pushing a pushable block on a slope, the player goes through the slope again (30fps).

Regards,
    P.

MercurialKid likes this.
  50. reuno

reuno

@Manou1111 > Just like everyone else, please use the support email for support questions, thanks.
    And yes, of course if you just lower the framerate (especially that low) without adjusting the raycast length (assuming you haven't), that's bound to happen. Check out what happens frame by frame and you'll understand why very quickly.
    As for pushable blocks, again, this is a raycast based system. Pushable are marked as experimental and really just meant for basic interactions. If you're going for a lot of physics interactions, or complex ones (like pushing a gravity affected block up or down a slope), go for a physics based engine, it'll make more sense.