Search Unity

[RELEASED] Corgi Engine - Complete 2D/2.5D Platformer [new v8.0 : advanced damage system]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 18, 2014.

1. WarpZone

WarpZone

Oh okay, so it's like a ladder minus vertical movement? Hmmm. Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to turn it into Gripping+horizontal movement, effectively making it like the ceilings in Contra/Gunstar Heroes/Gunner's Heaven.

2. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > Gripping is more like no movement at all and just parenting to a moving object. Basically you can't move anymore, the object moves your character around. All you can do is jump off. Think (16bit) Pitfall's ropes, or maybe a mine wagon, Broforce's ziplines, that kind of stuff.

That said, for Contra ceilings like stuff, I'd look more at the bi directional ladder for reference (might even be usable in its existing state), which allows you to create ladders on which you can walk horizontally (my reference for that was the fences (?) in Super Mario World (minus the two-sided thing). I guess by making them invisible and kind of low height, then positioned across the ceiling you'd get a quick version of what you want.

Edit : just for the sake of clarity, gripping doesn't actually parent your character, it remains where it is in the hierarchy, it just applies the grip movement to your character, but it's the same visual result as parenting (without all the perf troubles parenting could bring).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  3. WarpZone

WarpZone

Ah! Thank you, I'll have to experiment with that. Hmmm. So to recap, "gripping" is for swinging on vines, ziplines or maybe handholds attached to a moving piece of heavy equipment... basically "moving platforms" that you have to grab onto because they aren't technically platforms because you can't stand on them?

4. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > Exactly. Again, the current implementation is a bit glitchy, but it's all solved in the coming 4.2, much more robust. Give it a try and you'll get the idea. I think the only current example in the demos is in the FeaturesPlatforms demo scene, the rope somewhere near the middle of the level.

5. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hello reuno. I was able to slow myself like this. It's a bit weird that the variable from the instantiated character does not get updated, but that doesn't matter. When I start the game I store a variable with the "default Walk Speed" so I know to what speed to set him up after the debuff is over.

Oh well... at least I made some progress. How to see how to setup the Jump Speed and the Number of Jumps :D

6. reuno

reuno

@GamerPET > It's not that weird :) Caching is quite common in my experience, and in this situation I think it was the right choice. Plus it really doesn't prevent you from changing the speed. The crouch or run abilities modify it at runtime, no trouble. But I'm glad it's working for you now :)

7. GamerPET

GamerPET

Now I'm struggling to do a double jump & change the Jump Values. FlowCanvas does not see the those variables. It only sees those:

So I'm waiting for the FlowCanvas to respond.
    Or maybe you have an idea what is wrong?

I can't wait to get a handle of Corgi so I can make a tutorial with FlowCanvas & Corgi like I did here.

8. reuno

reuno

@GamerPET > Ok maybe we won't do this for each and every variable? :)
    Look at the class, it's all commented and in this case very easy to grasp.

Let's try with max number of jumps:
    Towards the beginning you'll find this:
    /// the maximum number of jumps allowed (0 : no jump, 1 : normal jump, 2 : double jump, etc...)
    public int NumberOfJumps=3;

That's what you're after. Why it doesn't appear in your thing, I have no idea, it's a public int, nothing fancy.

GamerPET likes this.
  9. Igorexa

Igorexa

Hi,

I place 2 ladders - one above the other.
    But corgi can't climb the second ladder.

If i move upper ladder a bit down - i get another problem - corgi can't go down the bottom ladder.

How i can create long vertical ladder with platforms?

10. reuno

reuno

@Igorexa > Please use the support email for support questions.
    What's happening here is absolutely normal, that's how it's designed.
    If you want intermediary platforms you'll need to implement them, they're not a feature of the engine right now.

11. WarpZone

WarpZone

And here's a partial solution for making your characters flinch when they take damage. Just attach it to your Character the way you would any other Corgi script, and add a bool named "Flinching" to your Animator.

Note that this does not interrupt other animations or character actions, so you'll probably want to use some sort of animation mask/layers to combine it with your running/jumping state.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using MoreMountains.Tools;
    5. namespace MoreMountains.CorgiEngine
    6. {
    7.     /// Attach this script to your character to cause them to flinch whenever they take damage.  Note that this does not interrupt other animations or character actions, so you'll probably want to use some sort of animation mask/layers to combine it with your running/jumping state.
    8.     /// This script is public domain.  It requires Corgi Engine, and is useless without it.
    10.     [AddComponentMenu("Corgi Engine/Character/Abilities/Character Flinch")]
    11.     public class CharacterFlinch : CharacterAbility, MMEventListener<MMDamageTakenEvent>
    12.     {  
    13.         public override string HelpBoxText() { return "This component allows your character to flinch whenever it takes damage."; }
    15.         public float FlinchDuration = .25F;
    17.         protected Character _character;
    19.         void OnEnable()
    20.         {
    21.             _character = GetComponent<Character>();
    22.             this.MMEventStartListening<MMDamageTakenEvent>();
    23.         }
    24.         void OnDisable()
    25.         {
    26.             this.MMEventStopListening<MMDamageTakenEvent>();
    27.         }
    29.         public virtual void OnMMEvent(MMDamageTakenEvent gameEvent)
    30.         {
    31.             if(gameEvent.AffectedCharacter == _character){
    32.                 StartCoroutine(Flinch());          
    33.             }
    34.         }        
    36.         protected virtual IEnumerator Flinch()
    37.         {  
    38.             PlayAbilityStartSfx();
    39.             PlayAbilityUsedSfx();
    40.             MMAnimator.UpdateAnimatorBool(_animator,"Flinching",true,_character._animatorParameters);
    42.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(FlinchDuration); //go to next frame
    44.             StopAbilityUsedSfx();
    45.             PlayAbilityStopSfx();
    46.             MMAnimator.UpdateAnimatorBool(_animator,"Flinching",false,_character._animatorParameters);
    47.         }
    49.         protected override void InitializeAnimatorParameters()
    50.         {
    51.             RegisterAnimatorParameter ("Flinching", AnimatorControllerParameterType.Bool);
    52.         }
    53.     }
    54. }

wekster and reuno like this.
  12. PhilSunderland

PhilSunderland

Hello, I'm new to the Asset Market and I don't know if my question was already answered by somebody.

When I purchase the engine, I have all the updates who come after the moment I purchase it? Like every version of Unity when there's a new one, right?

For my next question, it said that I can't use the sound sample and the name of the engine but I can use all the rest (like using a level demo and replacing all the sprite, texture, font and mesh with my own creation) and distribute my game commercially with no problem? Just to be specific.

If I do, do I have to show that I use your engine by showing your Corgi Engine logo in the debut credit of my game.

Thanks for you're response. I just want to be sure that I'm not doing anything that might cause problems.

13. reuno

reuno

14. crudeMe

crudeMe

Did you have any luck with that? Also, @reuno, what should be done to add z-depth (vertical movement) to corgi? Haven't bought yet, collecting info around

15. reuno

reuno

@crudeMe > Not sure I understand what you mean. z-depth is forward/backwards movement, vertical would be y, not z.
    In both cases anyway, it's a 2D engine. Z-depth could be possible but would require heavy changes, I wouldn't recommend it.
    And if you meant y movement, it's something you can add by creating an ability, would be only a few lines of code, just a matter of disabling gravity and enabling free movement, but using a platformer engine for a top down game seems a bit weird to me.
    I'd suggest picking the right tool for the job. This is for creating platformer games / metroidvanias, that sort of stuff.

crudeMe likes this.
  16. Zehru

Zehru

Hi @reuno , I don't know if I also understood it right, but maybe what he is asking is similar to that message that you answered about Valiant Hearts .
    It would be an amazing feature! ^^
    As amazing as the rooms management (like a metroidvania, which you can go and return from one scene to the other).

17. reuno

reuno

@Zehru > Oh right, maybe it was about that. Well in that case that explanation is still relevant, and it's still on the todo list (as well as room management, I'm waiting for Unity's next update that will bring a proper tile editor, which will unlock lots of stuff for the Corgi Engine).

luigi7, Muppo and Zehru like this.
  18. WarpZone

WarpZone

Does that mean we'll all need to switch to 2017, or will it still be available for the older versions, minus the new features?

19. Zehru

Zehru

that's really nice to know ^^ thank you @reuno :)

20. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > I (almost) never remove old versions, so it'll still be available. Of course if you want the new features you'll have to update, it's unmaintainable otherwise (and seeing the adoption rate of new Unity versions, not really necessary either). For people who for some reason are stuck on older versions of Unity, I'd recommend having two installs, one of their version, one of the latest. Download the engine with the latest, use with the old, if really that's your thing, but updating 20 versions in parallel with only the new stuff they can manage is just not possible, and seeing the stats, just an edge case.

@Zehru > You're welcome :)

Zehru likes this.
  21. Muppo

Muppo

Can.Not.Wait.jpg

Zehru and reuno like this.
  22. xpachin

xpachin

we need metroidvania stuff. :D

zero_equals_zero, Zehru and reuno like this.
  23. luigi7

luigi7

Is there a demo where you shoot whitout equipping anything, only with an animation playing? I tried to search but did not find it.
    I want to cast a magic from the character using an attack animation, but I don't want to equip a wand or anything.

24. reuno

reuno

@luigi-freguglia > The spritesheet based corgi character in Mesa1 doesn't equip anything, for example. And if you look at the weapons documentation, animations and everything else are all explained in details there.

luigi7 likes this.
  25. luigi7

luigi7

reuno likes this.
  26. WarpZone

WarpZone

Anyone have a method for making the enemies aim at the player? I've thought about doing it in the AI or in WeaponAim, or some combination of the two. Not really sure which would be the best approach. Thought I'd ask here first just in case it's been done.

27. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > The easiest (and "cleanest") way would be to get the WeaponAim component in your AI script, and simply call its SetCurrentAim method.

luigi7 likes this.
  28. webandapptest

webandapptest

Hi! Is it possible to make wall run like below in link?

https://imgur.com/a/IOV0p

If so, how? Thank you for your endless effort to the community!

29. reuno

reuno

@webandapptest > These look like ladders to me. There's already a ladder script and ability included in the asset :)

30. WarpZone

WarpZone

I must be doing something wrong.

Code (CSharp):
    1.                         Vector3 targetDir = _target.position - transform.position;
    2.                         if(_weaponAim != null){
    3.                             _weaponAim.SetCurrentAim(targetDir);
    4.                             Debug.Log("aiming at "+targetDir);
    5.                         } else{
    6.                             Debug.Log("_weaponAim was NULL!");
    7.                         }
    8.                         _characterShoot.ShootStart();
    9.                         //Debug.Log("Shooting!");
    This is just a small snippet of my current AI code, but the point is according to this, they're aiming their shots in a different direction every time. The Debug.Logs say I've found the weaponAims and they're each doing something different. But what I see in practice is all the enemies fire straight ahead, left or right, without aiming at all. What am I missing here?

Can aiming happen in a single frame, or do I need to aim constantly every frame to see the results?

Note that this is a semi-automatic, single-shot enemy attack.

Edit:
    Even if I move the aiming to the main body of Update, not just when the enemy "presses the fire button," it still doesn't seem to have any effect:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             //Constantly Aim at target
    2.             Vector3 targetDir = _target.position - transform.position;
    3.             if(_weaponAim != null){
    4.                 _weaponAim.SetCurrentAim(targetDir);
    5.                 //Debug.Log("aiming at "+targetDir);
    6.             }                    
    I don't mean the weapon is aiming the wrong direction, I mean it's indistinguishable from the weapon not aiming at all. I even enabled laser sights on all the enemies. They stick straight out to the right or left and don't rotate at all. :(

Edit:
    Looks like yellow arrows of some sort get drawn in the Unity IDE, and these do indeed appear to point at the player.

So _weaponAim is, in fact, aiming. It's just that the fact that it's aiming is not influencing the gameObject's transforms or any of its children the way it does with the player's aiming, and so it does not affect the direction the gun is actually facing, the AimAngle parameter in the Animator, or the direction the bullet flies when it comes out.

No idea why this would be the case. The enemies are set up the same way my player is, and they use the same models and animations.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  31. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > That's strange.
    I just gave it a try using this non optimized code roughly put at the bottom of the AIShootOnSight's update :

Code (CSharp):
    2. if (_characterShoot.CurrentWeapon != null)
    3. {
    4.   if (_characterShoot.CurrentWeapon.GetComponent<WeaponAim>() != null)
    5.   {
    6.     Vector3 direction = LevelManager.Instance.Players [0].transform.position - this.transform.position;
    7.     _characterShoot.CurrentWeapon.GetComponent<WeaponAim> ().SetCurrentAim (direction);
    8.   }
    9. }
    Using a Soldier from the TheHunt scene, quickly setup as an AI (remove the PlayerID and set Character Type to AI in the Character's inspector), added AIWalk and AIShootOnSight, and it works just fine, aiming at my character at all times. I don't see anything wrong with your code either.

That said, one thing that could explain why it works for me and not for you would be that I'm in the process of submitting 4.2 today so I'm one version ahead, and maybe I've fixed that. What I'd suggest if you can is wait for that new version to hit (usually from a few days to a few weeks, hard to tell, it's up to Unity). If you can't, send me an email and I'll add you to the (now closed) beta and it'll (very likely) solve your problem.

Edit : checked and it's indeed something that won't work in 4.1. It was missing an option to set the WeaponAim's control type as "script". Right now it's overridden by primary movement, mouse, or whatever it's set to, and ignored if set to off. It's all good in 4.2. By overridden I mean it just does nothing, there's a big switch that goes over these control types and it doesn't account for that situation.

32. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v4.2 of the Corgi Engine to the Asset Store.

The main new feature of this update is the ability to tweak gravity. Previously you could only change gravity force, but now you can also change gravity direction. Not just reverse it, but on a 360° scale, and per character. Which means you can have enemies crawling on the ceiling, or the walls, have fun with the new gravity zones and points, and much more.

Gravity zones, as their name implies, will allow you to change gravity direction and properties inside a specific collider, while gravity points will attract your character to them (think Mario Galaxy).

It also comes with demo levels for these, a few improvements here and there, and a bunch of bugfixes.

I'd like to address a special thanks to the few dozens of beta testers that helped me this last month and a half, their bug reports and feedback allowed me to fix tons of bugs and improve the quality of the gravity features in ways I definitely wouldn't have managed on my own. Also special thanks to Nilooo, Muppo and Indre who've been exceptionally helpful in their reports.

This new major update will require Unity 2017.1 or more, just like v4.1, so please check your version before sending me an email to let me know the update doesn't work, I already get two of these on a daily basis :) And as usual, expect somewhere between 3 days and a few weeks for Unity to accept the update.

And here's a video showing how it all works (it's actually a bit outdated now, I've added some more stuff since, I may make a new one if needs arise) :

Here are the full release notes :
    - Adds a new ability : CharacterGravity, allowing you to set an individual gravity direction on each character, and interact with Gravity Zones and Points
    - Adds Gravity Zones : zones where you can define the direction and strength of gravity
    - Adds Gravity Points : points that will attract characters, acting as gravity sources, basically just like in Mario Galaxy
    - Adds a new demo level : FeaturesGravity, that showcases all the new gravity related stuff
    - Adds a new demo level : FeaturesPlatformsGravityFlipped, that showcases how the old stuff still works in gravity altered conditions
    - Adds NumberOfActivations and delay between uses to button/key activated zones
    - Adds an option to create levels where checkpoints go from right to left, or top to bottom.
    - Improves gripping reliability
    - Allows health-equipped characters to not be destroyed after death and in that case prevents AIs from remaining active after death
    - Adds options to prevent picking an inventory object if the target inventory is full
    - Fixes a bug in the OneWayLevelHorizontal where the OneWay mode wasn't set to Left by default
    - Fixes an initialization problem in the AIWalk script that could result in a wrong initial direction
    - Fixes health bar's initialization if the initial health is below top health level
    - Fixes parenting issue when mouse aiming using a reticle
    - Fixes a bug that would keep hiding mouse cursor in the Inventory GUI when that option was selected on a WeaponAim component
    - Fixes the Minimal one way platforms edge colliders' point positions
    - Fixes a bug that would not prevent the player from rotating a weapon while the game was paused
    - Fixes a bug that would allow to dash through slopes in certain conditions (high dash force mostly)
    - Fixes a bug that could cause wrong camera positioning on respawn in OneWayLevels

Edit : for some reason the forum won't let me upload the second gif. You can see it in all its galaxy-esque glory on the asset's page : http://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/ if you want to :)

Zehru and Muppo like this.
  33. WarpZone

WarpZone

AHA! Guess I'll be migrating to 2017, then, in order to access 4.2. Wish me luck on the transition.

That's interesting, because if you look back at my earlier post, one of my first naive vague ideas about how to implement enemy aiming involved adding a new state to WeaponAim!

34. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > It was a good idea :)
    If you don't want to migrate to 2017, what you can do is just install 2017 on the side and just use it to download the package. I'm pretty sure it'll work out of the box. Depending on where you're at in your current project, migrating may not be the easiest approach :)

35. WarpZone

WarpZone

Oh, you're preaching to the chior on that one. I've got a ton of Unity installs I'm not brave enough to get rid of because I might want to use a specific outdated asset someday. Didn't realize the new version might be backwards-compatible. I think I'll give that a try. Here's hoping!

36. reuno

reuno

@WarpZone > I haven't tried it, but the engine doesn't use any new fancy feature, and it's probably just a matter of fixing a few now outdated methods, but it shouldn't be too hard. Drop me a line if you run into trouble.

37. reuno

reuno

v4.2 of the Corgi Engine is live on the Asset Store.
    Again, it requires Unity 2017.1 or more, so please check your Unity version matches if you don't see any new stuff when downloading.
    I really hope you'll like this new version, and please drop me an email if you find anything weird.

wekster, Lairizzle and Zehru like this.
  38. Lairizzle

Lairizzle

Hey everyone,

Super excited to load up 4.2 but I also wanted to share another thing I have created in Corgi Engine.

I wanted some more puzzle like elements and I was inspired by the key activated doors. I thought it would be cool to utilize pushable objects and create object activated zones. When all conditions are filled it has the ability to activate another object (like a moving platform). I was able to write this in a way where you can add as many conditional objects as you choose. See an example below:

Edit: As always I am willing to share if anyone wants to use this!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    NAiLz, AtomDesign, VisamP and 3 others like this.
  39. Muppo

Muppo

I'm interested on take a look at that code iif you don't mind, @LittleBlueHat

40. wekster

wekster

Hi everyone,

I've bought Corgi engine recently and I really like how easy is to make/tweak stuff in it but since I have a very little coding knowledge I've stuck on few things...

How can I make my bullets dissapear/destroy off screen and load them again in the pool? Right now I can kill all my enemies by standing on one spot and shooting without seeing them :)

Thanks!

@WarpZone Thanks for flinch script! :)

41. VisamP

VisamP

If you look at the ammo one of the options at the top of the "projectile" script is "Life Time" lowering it reduces the time a projectile can travel for.

wekster likes this.
  42. reuno

reuno

@wekster > That's not something that is built-in, but it should be pretty easy to do.
    Two ways to do it : actually detect when the projectile goes off screen, or simply add a component on it that disables it (gameobject.SetActive(false);) after a duration of your choice. You can take clues from the TimedAutoDestroy component that is already present, it's pretty similar to what you want. It'll require some changes though, as right now this component actually destroys the object, and won't reset its timer when the object gets reactivated, but it should put you on the right track.

43. reuno

reuno

@wekster > Forget everything I just wrote, @VisamP is right, it's actually built-in, silly me...
    Thanks for pointing that out! I love it when I rediscover features :)

Bagnol, wekster and Lairizzle like this.
  44. jaelove

jaelove

Is it possible to make a game like Mark of the
    ninja where the player can hide in the background and use stealth attacks?

45. reuno

reuno

@jaelove > Well yes, it's possible, everything is.
    It's not built-in though, if that's what you're asking, because it's extremely specific.
    But of course you can create such abilities, that wouldn't be hard.

Lairizzle likes this.
  46. twomack37

twomack37

Have you thought about starting a discussion board or even a Corgi Engine subreddit on Reddit to help your customers share ideas and ideas they are working on? This forum thread makes it tough to browse thru and get some ideas from or share thoughts.

Thanks!
    PS Love the Inventory Engine!

47. reuno

reuno

@twomack37 > I've tried that already but it didn't work as I expected. I might try again differently, soon(ish). I'll keep you posted. And I'm glad you like the Inventory Engine, I'm really happy with it too :)

twomack37 likes this.
  48. Luremaster

Luremaster

Hey Reuno.
    Just to know. what is the minimap priority in the todo list? its something that you can see in a future update?
    Thx.
    Keep the great work.

NAiLz likes this.
  49. reuno

reuno

@Luremaster > It's pretty low right now, as it hasn't been requested much. That, and the fact that a minimap is really dependent on how you build your levels (3D, 2D, tilemaps, etc.) so there's no way (I can think of) to offer a generic, easy to setup, solution.

50. xpachin

xpachin

:
    :(