Search Unity

Core GameKit! Pooling / Spawning / Combat

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks Brian

Unfortunately neither of these helped at all :(

Setting/resetting the listener made no difference.

GotoWave actually needs (1,1) parameters and even when I replicated the code (just adding _skipCurrentWave = true;) it made no difference. When I restart I still get extra objects being spawned on the first level (i.e. 6 instead of 5 or some other variation). I am wondering what I have not reset internally in my code? Does the syncro spawner hold its own list of objects to be spawned, or is it all triggered from LevelSettings?

Cheers

Nalin

2. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, the spawners hold their own list of what to spawn for each wave. Each spawner needs to be told to stop spawning as well. I would go look at where that variable is used and copy that code into your method.

I can now see why GotoWave doesn't work (because you're calling Awake and resetting everything) so the _skipCurrentWave variable never gets used.

I'm not sure what you mean by "listeners fire at the wrong time" then.

I am going to add a "repeat Global Waves" option soon by the way.

3. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

I'm not calling Awake() as that did not work

If you can add a "repeat Global Waves" soon that would be awesome as I nearly exhausted all options I can think of :) Presumably this will be a simple API I can call just to reset all spawners as I am trying to do manually?

BTW in case this is of interest I managed to get around the Wave / Repetitions irregular count issue by adding the following code to LevelSettings:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     private static int _currentWaveRepetition;
    2.     public static int CurrentWaveRepetition
    3.     {
    4.         get { return _currentWaveRepetition; }
    5.         set { _currentWaveRepetition = value;}
    6.     }
    7.     private static int _currentWaveRepetitionsToDo;
    8.     public static int CurrentWaveRepetitionsToDo
    9.     {
    10.         get { return _currentWaveRepetitionsToDo; }
    11.         set { _currentWaveRepetitionsToDo = value;}
    12.     }
    Then I set up a WaveListener that set/incremented these as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public override void WaveStart(WaveSpecifics spec) {
    2.         LevelSettings.CurrentWaveRepetition = 1;
    3.         LevelSettings.CurrentWaveRepetitionsToDo = spec.repetitionsToDo.Value;
    5.         DisplayWave(spec);
    6.     }
    9.     public override void WaveRepeat(WaveSpecifics spec) {
    10.         LevelSettings.CurrentWaveRepetition++;
    11.         DisplayWave(spec);
    12.     }
    This way I get reliable numbers for each.

Cheers

Nalin

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  4. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, I may end up refactoring the properties as well.

5. jerotas

jerotas

V 3.2.4 is live, grab them updates! Release notes on previous page.

6. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

hello, please make playmaker action that can change prefab pool chooser (in the spawner) at will..
    i want to use this to change the prefab pool to another prefab pool, when player get "something".
    so when the player got "somethig", the spawner quantity/thing will be diferent.
    prefab.JPG
    or any method to achieve this using your already made playmaker action?
    i want to set it to endless.

and another question,
    is my setting right? (in the second pict)
    i set the levelspawner setting to ELIMINATION, then set each spawner to ENDLESS.
    i also use poolboss to autoadd missing item.
    the "thing" that spawned will despawn back to poolboss when player don't hit it.
    BUT, the spawner suddenly stop spawn after certain times. it's supposed to be endless isn't?
    data2.JPG
    what i did wrong? i already try doing setting this for hours..

btw is this this thing :
    • Fixed rare bug with Pool Boss not finding prefab of previously despawned prefab
    actually, i already use 3.2.4 and this problem (?) still occur. i use playmaker action for despawn. have you fix the playmaker actions too?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. jerotas

jerotas

Last question: the Playmaker action doesn't need to be modified for this since it calls the same code. Please specify what problem you're having and show some screen shots.

First question: you can already do this with a single Prefab Pool by changing the Prefab Pool items by adding an "Active Item Limit" so that items in the pool are only active when "World Variable X" > some value, etc. And turn off the other item that way too.

Second question: sorry but I have no idea how you managed to make endless not behave as endless, unless the game ended because of a World Variable reaching its "game over value" such as lives = 0 (which is expected to cause spawners to stop). You may have to send me a sample project that reproduces the problem. This is the first time this has been reported.

8. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Brian

I have a small query on the WaveFinishedSpawning method in the WaveSyncroSpawnerListener class, because for some reason it never gets called in my project.

I tried to put a log message in TriggeredSpawner around line 2444:

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 if (listener != null) {
    2.                     Debug.Log ("Wave finished spawning");
    3.                     listener.WaveFinishedSpawning(eType, wave.waveSpec);
    4.                 }
    ...but it never prints at all.

I was expecting it to call as soon as the wave finished actually spawning it's last prefab (after a repeat) but it never does.

I do see EliminationWaveCompleted events coming through, but this is only after the last item has been despawned.

Is there any way of doing the former? as I am looking to trigger another spawner in the "dead" time between these two events?

cheers

Nalin

9. jerotas

jerotas

Before I go troubleshooting this, you said the *Syncro* Spawner "Wave Finished Spawning" doesn't work - and then you said you put a Debug log into *Triggered* Spawner class, not Syncro Spawner class.

Can you confirm for me which one you're trying to use, Syncro or Triggered?

10. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Ok - my mistake.

It was not getting called because I did not change "virtual" to "override" in my WaveFinishedSpawning method.

Sorry.

N

11. jerotas

jerotas

No harm done. I've made that mistake a few times before...

12. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

i think the endless problem is fixed now, i think it's something wrong with my playmaker itween not finishing and not go to next state (?), then despawned. ah dunno about this...
    the most important is now it's working with your endless setting :D

okay, thanks for your active item limit!! awesomeeeee
    with playmaker core game kit float set, it's working amazingly :D
    wow i can do so much with this, thank you for help! :D

13. jerotas

jerotas

Terrific that it's all working properly!

14. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Brian

I am trying to use PoolBoss from CoreGameKit (3.2.3.9), but I am not sure if it is possible as I am running into problems below. Can this version of PoolBoss be used without CGK (like the standalone PoolBoss) or are they tightly coupled?

Code (CSharp):
    1. No Transform passed to Spawn method.
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. DarkTonic.CoreGameKit.LevelSettings:LogIfNew(String, Boolean) (at Assets/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/Level/LevelSettings.cs:979)
    4. DarkTonic.CoreGameKit.PoolBoss:Spawn(Transform, Vector3, Quaternion, Transform) (at Assets/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/PoolBoss/PoolBoss.cs:212)
    5. DarkTonic.CoreGameKit.PoolBoss:SpawnInPool(Transform, Vector3, Quaternion) (at Assets/DarkTonic/CoreGameKit/Scripts/PoolBoss/PoolBoss.cs:193)
    6. WaveView:<InitializeViewModel>m__95(SpawnEvent) (at Assets/JumpJetGraphData/Views/WaveView.cs:18)
    Then, instead when I try to install the standalone PoolBoss it complains as follows:

Assets/DarkTonic/PoolBoss/Scripts/PoolBoss.cs(10,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `PoolBoss'

Can both coexist? / what is the best way?

cheers

Nalin

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. jerotas

jerotas

No they cannot coexist. The one in CGK has additional features dealing with Killables. If you have CGK installed, no need for the standalone Pool Boss and in fact you will not be able to compile.

16. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Ok

If I have CGK and I want to use standalone pool boss functionality alone, is this possible?

N

17. jerotas

jerotas

Yes. Only install the CGK plugin, not Pool Boss plugin. Then you can call PoolBoss.Spawn and other methods just as if you had Pool Boss standalone installed.

However all the CGK features will use Pool Boss automatically and you won't need to write any code for that (spawners and killables).

18. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks!

jerotas likes this.
  19. VectorNector

VectorNector

Hi,
    I'm building a RPG clicker with sprites and I was wondering about spawning one sprite at a time. How do you set it up where the next sprite only appears after you've killed one? Do I have to write stuff to a custom spawner listener?

Thank you in advance!

20. jerotas

jerotas

No you don't.

If you need to do it with the global waves, then use an elimination waves of 1 that repeats (repeat settings are on spawner).

Or you could spawn it from Triggered spawner and set Killable's Death Prefab to the same thing (will spawn in same place as killed one though).

21. VectorNector

VectorNector

Wow, it's exactly what I wanted it to do. I can't believe how versatile this package is. I don't think I can live without it at this point. So awesome.

I have another stupid question which is unrelated to the last question. So, I have this space shooter game and it shoots bullets automatically. I notice that I get errors if I go pass my Item Limit. I thought it was suppose to recycle the prefabs?

22. jerotas

jerotas

You can recycle but normally you just want to set the limit higher and not despawn things to spawn new ones. It looks weird when things just disappear off the screen for no apparent reason.

23. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have bought this awesome and amazing asset that is the Core Gamekit, I have sent by email the Unity Asset Store order number

I have been reading the manual and also have seen many of the video tutorials, but regretably I am still unable to understand how to make what I want, and maybe is because I have just started with unity 6 months ago only, so I am a beginner, and does not have any experience with coding or scripting.

I wonder why the examples scenes and tutorials seems to all be made with and for ONLY 2D games, and I have not been able to find a 3D scene example or tutorial, as I think they are not at all the same, and works in a different way.

I have been able already to use the great Pool Boss and have got a very good spawner for the enemies that works right and well, but now I need to add AI to them and also need to add the score and health management of player and enemies, but still do not know how to do it

WORKFLOW FOR ADDING ENEMIES THAT FIRE AT YOU AND THE PLAYER GETS THE DAMAGE

Enemies are droids and flying spheres that does NOT have mecanim

I have seen that Core Gamekit is compatible with icode AI (I own this already), that seems to be what is needed for the enemies to find and follow the player, and also I want that they can carry a weapon and when they are at certain distance they will fire this weapon at the player position, and then if the player is hit manage the health, and also if the player fires at the enemy, also manage the health of the enemy and if destroyed also add to the score, and enemy count.

The scenery of the game is inside a big city with high skyscrapers as seen on the screenshot below, although this may be misleading, as really this is a FPS, so the view point is from the ground, and not aerial.

So Please, I am asking what are the steps or workflow to be able to do this I want with the enemies using Core Gamekit and icode together?

How to integrate them with the Pool Boos I already have configured?

Can you be so kind to show me what part of the manual is relevant and dedicated to this topic, and/or if there is some video tutorials that is about and cover this topic?

Thanks very much for any possible help and I give my big congratulations and best wishes for the Darktonic team that have done such a great asset that is very well done

Attached Files:

24. jerotas

jerotas

The example Scenes are in fact all 3D, not 2D - meaning that we're not using Unity 4.3 sprites, Collider2D, Rigidbody2D etc. Yes we have constrained the 3D objects on one axis so they act as 2D but that doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter whether your enemies have mechanim or not, we don't have any support for mechanim or legacy animations. Yes, you should use ICode, Playmaker or Behavior Designer plugins to handle the movement of enemies.

You can use a TriggeredSpawner (OnTriggerExit event) to fire the enemy weapons if you like. All projectiles and enemies should be using Killable scripts so that they damage and destroy each other.

So I'd read the Triggered Spawner and Killable sections in the manual. And go ahead and watch *all* the videos. They are all relevant.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

25. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

THANKS really very much for the fast answer

SO they are really like 3D scenes with 3D objects but simulating to be viewed as 2D? I thought that as it was all 2D planes would not be 3D objects, but I was wrong as you are telling me that they do not use any of the 2D features.

Anyway, it would be good, useful and interesting to have a plain and simple real 3D scene demo also available.

This is what I wanted to know, WHAT parts would be done with Core Gamekit and what parts made with a third party asset, so icode would be used ONLY for the enemy movement and the others things made with Core Gamekit?

So top be able to fire a weapon that I have attached to the enemy would I use TriggeredSpawner? Good to know, sorry that as the example show a very simple 2D bullet this was not possible with TriggeredSpawner in that way, but I was wrong.

I will see ALL the videos and read again about the Triggered Spawner and Killable sections in the manual

Thanks very much for your help

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  26. jerotas

jerotas

Ok, at some point we will do a normal 3D example scene.

27. jerotas

jerotas

New features coming! I needed something for our new game, so we are adding sections to fire Custom Events for many different purposes, such as when:

1) LevelSettings is done initializing (spawn our guy, barrels, etc, without using Syncro Spawner waves).
    2) Killables are destroyed or damaged
    3) Spawner Waves are completed.
    4) World Variable values are changed.

This is super easy to configure and very powerful in usage :)

28. jerotas

jerotas

boysenberry likes this.
  29. jerotas

jerotas

Core GameKit 3.2.5 has been submitted to the Asset Store. Big update! Changelog:

• Fixed bug where ResetVelocity call in Killable would throw a Null Reference error for Rigidbody2D.
    • Fixed bug in Triggered Spawners where the wrong event's layer/tag filters cause "endless" waves to stop.
    • Added field to Global Waves called "Last Level Completed". Choices are "Win" (default) and "Repeat All Levels From Beginning". This allows you to make the levels go on forever.
    • Removed BoltEngine partial code. Bolt is stalled and not usable on Unity 5. May be added back later at some point.
    • Updated BehaviorDesigner package with their latest updates.
    • Created CoreCustomEvent attribute that you can decorate any public string field in your classes with. Holds a dropdown list of all Custom Events in the Scene.
    • Added Initialization Options section to LevelSettings up top. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire when LevelSettings has finished initializing!
    • Added Wave Completion Custom Events section to LevelSettings global waves setup. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire when the wave is completed!
    • Added Wave Repeat Custom Events section to Syncro Spawner waves setup. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire each time the wave is repeated!
    • Added Wave Repeat Custom Events section to Triggered Spawner waves setup. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire each time the wave is repeated!
    • Added Damage Custom Events section to Killable's Damage Prefab Settings / Events section. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire each time damage is taken!
    • Added Death Custom Events section to Killable's Damage Prefab Settings / Events section. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire when the Killable is destroyed!
    • Added Custom Events section to World Variable's Inspector. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire each time the variable is updated!
    • Added checkbox option for Wave Spawn Bonus to "Use On First Spawn". Default is on. That way you can use the Wave Spawn Bonus for wave start, each repeat, or both.
    • Renamed "Wave Repeat Bonus" to "Repeat Bonus" in Syncro Spawner.
    • Renamed "Damage Prefab Settings" to "Damage Prefab Settings & Events" in Killable's Inspector.
    • Renamed "Death Prefab Settings" to "Death Prefab Settings & Events" in Killable's Inspector.
    • Moved Retrigger Limit into Damage Settings for Killable where it belongs.
    • When restarting randomly ordered Global Waves, re-randomize the order of all waves in a Level.

30. Testeria

Testeria

Would this be useful for turn based 2d game (3d isometric view of flat playing field), fe. TCG like Hearthstone or miniatures battle?

31. jerotas

jerotas

2D or 3D doesn't come into play here, CGK is equally useful for both. The World Variables and Pooling should be pretty useful for stuff like Miniatures Battle. The combat and wave spawning system maybe less so.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

It was my code...I fixed it...nothing to do with CGK....

sorry..

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  33. jerotas

jerotas

Before I read all that, are you using Core GameKit or Pool Boss standalone? There's a Pool Boss thread that's linked to on the Asset Store page if you're using that one.

Regardless, Pool Boss and CGK both do not allow multiple Poos Boss game objects in the same Scene. That is not supported. You can have any number of prefabs configured in a single Poos Boss though.

One more note: things despawned in the pool cannot have scripts running, such as physics. It's literally impossible in Unity as the Game Objects are disabled.

34. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

Hey,
    I watched your tutorial on triggered spawners and it was great but I am still having a little trouble setting up my projectile. I'd like my projectile to spawn when I tap on my screen. I can do it through code without using GameKit but I can't figure out how to fire my event through the spawner.
    Thanks

35. jerotas

jerotas

Easiest way:

Set up a wave that listens to a Custom Event on a Triggered Spawners that's on the player. Then write code to call LevelSettings.FireCustomEvent when player taps screen.

36. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

thanks....I've got a totally different problem now. I just upgraded to 3.2.5 and now I get a ton of errors saying that I am missing an assembly reference. Where can I find the assembly dll to add to my project?

37. jerotas

jerotas

Show me the exact text in the Console with the error please and I'll see if I can help. We have no DLL's.

38. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

Here it is:

Error 64 The type or namespace name 'WorldVariableTracker' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Unity\Shooter\Assets\DarkTonic\CoreGameKit\Editor\WorldVariables\WorldVariableTrackerInspector.cs 60 31 Assembly-CSharp-Editor

I have this for all the inspector cs files.

39. jerotas

jerotas

I get zero errors importing to Unity. What version of Unity are you on and what platform are you set to? I would also have you try deleting the entire DarkTonic folder and re-importing from the asset store again in case there were leftover files that are causing the problem.

40. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

I deleted and reimported the asset and now everything is fin.
    Thanks

41. jerotas

jerotas

No problem :)

42. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

Next question....my projectile spawns when I use PoolBoss.SpawnInPool() but it shows up behind my background(a standard quad). How can I have it spawn in front so I can see it. My enemies that spawn from traditional spawn points don't have that problem.
    Thanks.

43. jerotas

jerotas

It's possible that you have simply spawned in the wrong position. Try moving the item after it spawns to see if you can make it show up correct. If so, you may be passing in the wrong thing to the SpawnInPool method.

Also you can try dragging the spawned item out of it's hierarchy into "top-level" outside of Pool Boss. If that fixes the issue you should call PoolBoss.SpawnOutsidePool instead because the layer of LevelSettings may be causing display order issues (never seen this though).

Haven't heard of or seen this issue before though.

44. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

It was the first one....I was passing in the the wrong spawn position's z axis. Thanks.

45. jerotas

jerotas

No problem.

46. jerotas

jerotas

Core GameKit V 3.2.6 has been submitted to the Asset Store. Changelog:

• Small setting will be lost! Removed single setting for Wave Offset in waves of Syncro Spawner and Triggered Spawner. Replaced by ability to add any number of randomly chosen Wave Offsets. You will lose any settings you had for Wave Offset, so take note of them before upgrading to this version!
    • Moved UndoHelper into main Editor folder. No need for extra folder when it can't be shared with our other plugins. Please delete the old one in DarkTonic\Editor folder when updating.
    • Fixed World Variable Listeners for Unity 4.5 - they were not working.
    • Fixed World Variable Listeners for Unity 4.6+ - they were not working.
    • Fixed Unity 4.6 example scene, it had some missing scripts.
    • Renamed "Wave Spawn Bonus" to "Wave Spawn Bonus & Events" because it now can fire any number of Custom Events.
    • Added ability to fire custom event(s) from wave start on Triggered Spawner.
    • Fixed Custom Event endless retrigger bug that can be set up on accident.
    • 2D Knockback now works correctly. Previously only "knock up" worked for 2D. Now it knocks you left or right depending on the location of the other Killable compared to yours (x coordinate).
    • Added ability to clone Global wave.
    • Added ability to clone Syncro Spawner wave.
    • Added ability to clone Pool Boss item.
    • Added ability to clone Prefab Pool item.
    • Added missing position parameter to FireCustomEventIfValid new method.
    • Changed ModifyWorldVariables method in Killable to public virtual so it can be changed in a subclass.
    • Renamed "Respawn Settings" to "Respawn Settings & Events" in Killable's Inspector.
    • Added Respawn Custom Events section to Killable's Respawn Settings & Events section. Now you can select any number of Custom Events to fire each time the Killable is respawned!

47. Spritz

Spritz

"Assets/DarkTonic/Editor/UndoHelper.cs(9,21): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `UndoHelper'"

I updated and imported over the top, should I have done it differently?

48. jerotas

jerotas

Delete that file. I moved it into another folder so now you have two. The release notes mentions this :)

When updating, I usually delete the DarkTonic folder then download the newest.

49. Spritz

Spritz

Brill thanks :)

jerotas likes this.
  50. nuverian

nuverian

Hello everyone,

I'd like to let you know that Core GameKit is now integrated with NodeCanvas!
    You can download the tasks package online here:
    http://nodecanvas.com/resources/

Cheers and have fun!