Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Complete Physics Platformer Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Greg-Sergeant, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Neoshiftr

Neoshiftr

Anyone knows how I modify the camera to move with the player automatically?
    It's annoying for me to always press Q and E.

2. poff

poff

Yeah, just replace the part of the script (CameraFollow), you'll find it, I'm sure. (Stan figured this out, by the way)

void SmoothFollow()
    {
    //move the followTarget (empty gameobject created in awake) to correct position each frame
    followTarget.position = target.position;
    followTarget.rotation = target.rotation;

3. outtoplay

outtoplay

Is it usual for Greg not to check/reply on the forum for over a week? I left a question (several of of have), and no reply. I may be spoiled by JohnnyA who is very active in his 2D Platformer thread.

4. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

I also thought the same thing, I wouldn't mind some opinions on my suggestions, just to see if they're realistic to put in or not.
    That said though, its only a week, people have holidays illness, and even lives outside of game development (or so I hear... honestly I'm hoping that last one turns out to be a rumour trying to hinder my game dev time).

5. Minstrel

Minstrel

Another option is that he could be coming up to some of his own deadlines, eg. university or whatever. I'm sure he'll respond when he can.

6. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

Yeah I counted deadlines, relationships and general 'life' as 'life outside game development'.

7. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Anyone have any luck fixing the camera collision bug? A replacement camera maybe?

8. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I tried this, it seems to kill my camera's offset values...its really close now. should they still work? I would love to have the direction work like this.
    thanks

9. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

YES, the easily adjustable movement controls means you'd have that running instantly. Though the player does not currently rotate to the angle of the ground. There's some code which stops slight slope sliding inside the 'Player Move' script, you should easily see it (its commented) and remove that part if you want sliding on subtle slopes. Send a message to the support email (in the guidebook) if you have any trouble setting it up, and i'll be happy to help you through it.

Yes, this is on the roadmap of future features.

The most requested features are added first, both of these are fairly high on the list. I don't like to give a definite eta as this can interfere with my ability to produce the best quality product.

This is a good suggestion, i'll look into it for you.

Take a look at these links: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-InputManager.html
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-PhysicsManager.html

Ico is one of my favorite games! Perhaps this could help you: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Spline_Controller
    The camera script is completely commented, so you can see how each part works, you'd want to change how the 'follow' functions, to keep it on the spline.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outtoplay - my sincere apologies for not being quick on the replies this week, one of the great things about this community is how closely i can work with PPK developers and i'm going to honour that relationship. The community growing around this kit is staggering already, with so many helpful people appearing on this board, so thankyou!

Dan_Tsukasa - Thankyou for your suggestions! Things like iOS controls, added artist workflow, video tutorials and extra camera control are top priority right now because they are the most frequently suggested. After that i'll begin on adding the next most requested features which looks to be wall jumping.

HeadTrip - 'followTarget.position' is where the camera will move to and 'target.position' is the current position of the player. So your camera will move to inside the player! You'll probably want to change this to: target.position + offset, where offset is the vector3 offset. Hope that helps! A more flexible, official update for this is coming very soon.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thanks for the update. Ok I have to wait for tutorial before I can continue my work.

11. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Yes, thanks for the update and info! Good stuff

12. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I found it, for anyone else looking for a path based camera (follow transform mode)...works great and is super simple to set up, it includes a demo scene. I've been using it for months, but didn't see the recent update that added this..the author was helpful. example games are Knack, God of war... works well with this kit.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/617

13. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

I'd like to ask if anyone has worked out a way to get this kit working with sprites and other animations that don't use mechanim, I don't use mechanim at all in my game, slowly trying to edit the code but... its very very slow, if anyone else has done so and would be willing to share their experiences It'd be hugely appreciated.

14. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

If you download Unity 4.3 which uses mechanim for sprite animations, everything will be set up for you already.

15. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

Mechanim doesn't work with spritesheets sadly though, all my sprites are via spritesheets and fully animated, this was more what I meant, as opposed to the unity method which is similar to the Rayman Origins type method of animating a sum of parts.

16. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

You'll be happy to know that it does, the explosion in the demo scene uses sprites. Watch this video for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1F6fi04qw8

Your entire animation setup for 2D is complete and ready for you to plug in your sprite animations, enemy animations are also coming in the new update!

17. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

Have you ever had that moment where you're so 100% Sure about something, and then feel like a moron afterwards? I had that yesterday, I posted that comment, and then shortly after I decided to checkout the 2d features, then I realized how wrong I was.

Edit, so after a fair bit of testing, I'm slowly making progress here.

Quick question though:

Currently I'm still using your animator to test things with and once I'm sold on everything I'll move over to my own animator, Unitys animator view confuses me a little since I'm so used to simply using 2D Toolkit for everything until now.

My character, since its a sprite, only has a different animation for Push/pull, as opposed to an new 'arm' layer like yours does, However I've deleted the 'Arms layer' from your Animator and copied only the Push (Since I don't have grab, only push and pull) to the Base Layer.

Heres the problem:

I edited the following lines in Throwing.cs

Code (csharp):
    2. public int Base_Layer;  //index of the animation layer for "arms" (Used to be set to Arm Layer)
    4. //set arms animation layer to animate with 1 weight (full override)
    5. if(animator)
    6. animator.SetLayerWeight(Base_Layer, 1);
    In your code there's an animation that doesn't change for push or pull, would it be possible to provide an example that has a different animation for Pull, as I can't think how to attempt this myself at all, I imagine its based on facing direction and key input direction but I wouldn't have a clue where to start in coding this myself at all.

If you could provide a code snippet I should be able to work out the Animation based on that, hopefully.

Additionally, are there any plans for a 2D Physics example at all (with push and pull would be awesome!)

This kit is awesome!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  18. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

What you would do is get the direction of the held object (object.transform.position - player.transform.position), get the movementDirection from inside the Player Move script, then get the angle between them (Vector3.Angle ?). Send that angle to mechanim, and if it is smaller than say.. 90, do push animation, if its larger than 90 do a pull animation. Sorry i can't code this for you, these kind of general requests are better put on UnityAnswers - i have a lot of customers to support :)

There probably won't be plans for a 2D specific version, as the 2D included works just the same whilst giving you a lot more flexibility on gameplay and lighting, its also already highly optimized already and compatible with sprites so i can't see much upside.

19. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

Thankyou ^___^, and no worries, I'll give that a shot later today and see if I get anywhere with it, I'm sure you've a lot of others stuff to be doing anyways.

The 2D Physics in unity is a lot more powerful than the 3D, since Box2D is so widely used, it means you could port a lot of stuff from other engines over technically speaking, with a lot more ease than having to convert all that to 3D Physics, Ropes are a good example of this, Unitys 3D Physics require either a lot of coding to make them work or faking it with a lot of parenting or hinge joints, whereas in the 2D Physics (Box2D) There's a rope joint option available to easily be plugged in, which is more or less what this asset has done http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/210361-Physics-2D-Extensions take things from Box2D and port them seamlessly into Unity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in it as a full 2D Physics sample, however I also really have no idea just how difficult it would be to port something over to 2D Physics.

20. edd

edd

Many thanks Greg Sergeant for your support.

I was looking for a way to orient picked-up objects to a forward position or to where the mouth of my character is placed.

Greg provided this solution
    in the Throwing.cs script

- at the top add: public Transform mouth;
    - create an empty gameObject and parent it to your player
    - now drag this empty gameObject into the variable slot for "mouth"
    - remove the code which sets holdPos
    - and replace it with: holdPos = mouth.position

before
    $image1.jpg
    after
    $Untitled-2.jpg

21. sound-and-vision

sound-and-vision

Hi Greg, love the kit!

If I want a moving platform to wait until the player steps on it to move, how do I do that?

I tried setting up a Box Collider as trigger and made it a child of the Platform object (which has 2 waypoints childed to it), and dropped a TriggerParent.cs on the Box Collider Trigger. It still starts looping through the waypoints right away though...

22. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

I would:
    - disable the movement script on the platform (un-check it's check box in the inspector)
    - create a new script which: checks for the player to collide with the platform, then enables the movement script
    - add this new script to the platform

Enabling/Disabling Components: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting/enabling-disabling-components
    Detecting Collisions: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Collider.OnCollisionEnter.html

23. Gosuneo

Gosuneo

Hi, excellent kit.

After modifying the player character i would like to integrate the enemies which fully animated.
    how do you add enemy animations ?

24. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Fully set up enemy animators are arriving in the new update, as well as a patrol tool to assign enemies patrol routes via land, sea or air!

25. Gosuneo

Gosuneo

Excellent ! Great base, im gonna try to implement a simple sword for Player and various weapons for Enemies to be able to create some sort of Boss character.
    Do you think you will add simple power ups that modify the player's jumps 1 2 3 ?

26. kilik128

kilik128

Hi i have 2 major trouble at this time ! how ex

i try make map with rotorz

$5HbMK.jpg

first when i run on hit sometime i get little jump so player lose control and it's realy !!

second when i jump on wall player stay block in air

$5Hxsi.jpg

it's can be good for walk wall but it's not what's i need here

27. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

I'm certain you have your "ground check" objects outside the bounds of the players collision box - these raycast downwards to check the player is on the ground; having one outside your collision box means it would be inside that wall, hitting your wall block, thus telling the script that the player is on the ground. Simply move them so they are within the players collision box on the X axis.

For your first issue, send me a demo/some more information to: greganims1@gmail.com, and we'll solve it right away.

28. Tonmeister.

Tonmeister.

could be the grab collider interfering

29. kilik128

kilik128

about Sight Bounds it's possible to use other method because at this time i got when punch to big zone arena

ex

i got this
    void OnTriggerStay(Collider other)
    {
    if (other.transform.root.name == "PlayerOne"){
    punch = other.transform.root.gameObject.GetComponent <Throwing>();
    if (punch.Atk == true){

currentHealth -=1;
    }
    }
    }

and i need know if i hit only Attack Bounds

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  30. edd

edd

31. kilik128

kilik128

i just finish my first game here Run Lola

32. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

edd - looks fantastic, and reminds me of Toy Story 2 on playstation a little bit.. just goes to show the console quality of platformer you can quickly accomplish with this kit, and some nice artwork. I'm looking forward to the progress you make, i really like the cheese puzzle.

kilik 128 - again, this look really great, absolutely amazing for a first game. I noticed the player does not walk whilst pulling, are you using the 'arms' layer for pulling animations? You can also lock the rotation on that box to only Z axis, if you want some more predictable rotations on it.

Regarding punching, you could check which collider is being hit, just like you checked the transform of the collider. To be honest if i were to do a punching attack, i'd keep things simple and modular by creating a hitbox with the 'Hazard' and 'Destroy' scripts attached. Make the hazard script only effect enemy/breakable crate tags, and set the destroy delay to 0.1.. then simply spawn this invisible hitbox in front of the player when the punch key is pressed.

Alternatively to save memory, you could simply activate/deactivate this box when punch is pressed, and have it always parented to the player.

33. hammeron

hammeron

This works with root motion?

34. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

Greg,

I have played the demo and it's very impressive, really smooth and precise. If you convert this asset to support 4.3 I'll definitively buy it. My goal is to make a pure platform 2D game, I hope this assert help me out.

35. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

The kit moves the player object with key-presses and that movement informs the animations to play. The advantage of this is that if the player gets moved by another object for example pushed into the air by a trampoline (on the demo), even though the player isn't pressing jump the jump animation will play, so it is very flexible.

If you want to use root motion you'd simply comment out the usual movement code, and set your animations to use root motion. However, i would not use root motion as it changes the position of the object each frame, according to position changes in the root bone. What this means is that it is not using real forces (as the kit does), so it will not interact as reliably with other physics objects. Root motion is usually only used for AI characters in 'realistic' games such as FPS.

Thanks, i'm working on the 4.3 conversion right now.

36. indy2005

indy2005

Hi,

Love the kit. Can I ask why you are using rays to check for the isGrounded status, and don't just check for a collision with a trigger you could place at the bottom of the main character? If I introduce additional animations, such as a slide, then the floor checker positions will be wrong for this smaller animation, not sure how to deal with that. Also, I want to do a wall jump - and can either use rays out horizontally, or use a trigger attached to the front - so would like to understand the benefit of rays over the trigger method.

Regards

i

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  37. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Thanks i'm glad you're enjoying it! RAYCASTS CONTAIN THE FUNCTIONALITY to return the first object hit, and nothing else. They can also immediately be checked as a bool (true/false statement) to see if anything WAS hit (ie: are we standing on anything), they also contain the functionality to only check certain layers/ignore collision with triggers and if i want to check say certain positions under each foot i can easily do that without having to create a new trigger mesh or pool the collisions of multiple triggers together. SIMPLY PUT, THEY'RE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB - it's good you're considering other ways to do this as a good programmer always considers the different tools and which will be best for the task (simple/flexible/most compatible with future additions).

Most games KEEP THE COLLISION OF THE PLAYER IDENTICAL FOR EVERY ANIMATION because otherwise you can run into bugs where the collision shape changes and it intersects with geometry or an enemy (in FPS games where they NEED to change the collider for crouching, they do checks - in unity i'd use a capsule cast - to always see if the head is clear before getting back up, to avoid these clipping bugs). This is always a trade off between functionality and art, as you try to fit animations as closely to the collision shape as you can, so personally i wouldn't touch the collision/ground checks. If you really want to you can simply create two sets of ground checks and enable/disable them with each animation change.

I'm going to add wall jumping in a future update if you can wait (after iOS controls) - i just submitted a new update with extra camera/enemy AI features yesterday :)
    (so it'll be released as soon as unity approves it, it also solves 4.3 compatibility)

38. indy2005

indy2005

Thanks Greg, gong to try to pick it all apart and recreate as a Playmaker state machine next. Good to hear wall jumps are happening soon, would be good if when clinging to a wall you can choose to stick fast or slide down at an editor defined rate, or even only cling for a time before losing grip and falling. Good if you could add crouch and slide too :)

39. mattscott

mattscott

Love this kit! I used it for a holiday game jam to make this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64492604/elf_training_camp.html

$screenshot_02.jpg
    $screenshot_01.jpg

While I loved the kit, for some reason my character would go back and forth in Z in my builds (never in the editor). Have you noticed this? Usually after sliding, or jumping on platforms.

Great work, I had tons of fun using it!

40. Robiwan

Robiwan

just bought the this kit and realy looking forward to test it out. When do you think the iOS controller will be ready?

41. Statik3

Statik3

Hello everyone, just saw this tool in the assest store, looks really neat. I have 2 questions before i buy..

1.) Is it mobile friendly?
    2.) Will this work for an infinite runner game?

Thanks!
    Darryl.

42. Pheidian

Pheidian

I'm still having a problem with my change level. I have two scenes in my game test (World1_1 and World2_1). I have goal in World1_1 that "next level index" is 1 and in World2_1 goal's "next level index" is 0. So I get then "turn by turn" in my thinking (two levels after each other repeatedly).

I'm building the game with settings, so that World1_1 has index number of 0 (first scene) and World2_1 is indexed as 1 (second scene). Still when I reach the goal in first level (World1_1) it just restarts that level and does not load the next one...

43. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Another great game created using the PPK kit, thankyou for sharing this i love seeing the fantastic work people are doing with this!

I haven't experienced this, but i'll look into it. If you could send any extra details to the support email, it would help out.

They're mostly programmed in but i need to test them thoroughl and make sure they are flexible for everyone's needs. I'd estimate a couple of weeks.

YES. A number of people have already made iOS games with it and it is highly optimised for mobile use. "Out the box" touch controls will be intergrated soon.

Yes. In fact i answered a question for another developer on how to do this, (one line of code changed). So i'll include it in the documentation.

Pheidian - this is fixed in 1.4 which will be released as soon as Unity approves it, likely a few days.

44. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Fantastic feel and feature-set. Congratulations :)

45. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

Hi all, just wanted to share a game I made using the physics platformer kit for the 2013/2014 New Year Game Jam!
    I put it all together in 3 days! Can't wait to see what I can do if I actually had more time! My entry can be found here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...game/new years webgame/new years webgame.html

Great work again with this kit! I can't wait to see what else I can cook up with it!

Also, Pheidian, to help with the Goal script, on line 29 of Goal.CS change this:

Application.LoadLevel (Application.loadedLevel);

to look like this...

Application.LoadLevel (Application.loadedLevel+1);

There is a +1 added before the end of the bracket. This will load the next level after the current level that is in the build settings. However if you had reached the goal in level 2, but there was no level 3, you'll get an error about how there is no level 2 (if level 1 = 0 in build settings, level 2 = 1 in build settings)

Hope this helps! And again great job with the kit! So glad I got it!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  46. kilik128

kilik128

i have try box to only Z axis it's make player jumping
    let's go gun weapon sell shop wall walk flash bang

47. BokuDev

BokuDev

CUBE KNIGHTS!

Here is Cube Knights Unity Forum thread (has more content to view than this post)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/234321-Cube-Knights-A-3D-4-Player-Co-op-Platformer!

Features!

-A 3D open-world, 4 player co-op, platformer game. Set to be 15+ hours long, full of content, Oculus Rift support, and even other game modes! Set to be completed sometime in 2014-2015. Will have a 4 player battlemode/deathmatch, and tons of minigames. Currently being worked on by just me.

Some screen shots! (will be constantly adding pictures!)
    $WindyPlanConcept.png
    $Snowland3.png
    $Elvl2.png
    $Cube Knights Logo 1.png

VIDEOS OF GAME-
    - DEV LOG #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On_KDRr56Yw
    - DEV LOG #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1lO-1yxYE
    -DEV LOG #3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtcz45Rv_QQ&list=UUzEr8pkv0Mzk6y6hh17vy9g
    -DEV LOG #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usKq8J9pvyg
    -DEV LOG #5

Update Suggestions for the physics platformer kit - (This will also be updated)
    -Punching, or some attack (want to get new player models eventually that can use weapons like a sword)
    - Swimming, and this is mainly due to how currently gravity is just effected in water, but swimming with an animation or something along with it could be way better! Also that somehow the music is different when entering the water so we can play the levels same song, but an underwater verison.
    -Some script that allows the game to end once all players/player has died. Or load a new level once all players have died. (instead of respawns)
    -Sprinting, I have Cube Knights currently running with keyboard, and Xbox 360 gamepad support! When I was playing with the gamepad, I really felt like there was times where I wanted to have my character get into a 2nd running mode, via sprinting or something when I hold down the X button.
    -Add ladders! We need em! I can't stress out enough how needy its becoming for me for one player to drop a ladder for another as a puzzle, or a way to help the other to advance!
    -Double Jump, this is reallllly needed right now. Need I say more? Being able to double jump via a second jump in midair.
    - Roll, dive, and front flip?
    -Lock on system (Like zelda's targeting system basically)
    -Grappling hook
    -Wall bouncing
    -Camera being able to zoom in and out.

ISSUES WITH THE KIT!
    Updates restart my tags, and changes iv made to the prefabs, (through which is understandable I guess) It also creates the issue of every single update to PPK makes me have to re-do the support of the Xbox 360 controller.
    -When having multiple players for co-op, when player 2 jumps on an enemy, player 1 will rise in the air without stopping until player 2 gets off an enemy.
    -GUI Manager cant be moved, its always in the upper left for me.

Thank you for PPK!
    Still an amazing kit through! Really looking forward to what updates will bring, as I move forward in the games development. This post will also be constantly updated as development moves forward!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  48. UDONtaskmaster

UDONtaskmaster

Fantastic kit really easy to use, but i have a problem i need assistance with. I can't seem to find a way to change what the GUItext says like health/coins and the color of the text. I'm bit new at scripting and I've been looking over the scripts for a while now, any ideas?

49. gegagome

gegagome

I just bought your package and it looks promising.

I have one question though. When I move a sphere really quick into another sphere (both with the Throwing script attached to them) it barely moves it.

In other words when the sphere is moving really fast into the second one, it goes through the geometry of the second one, barely moving it.

any ideas about how to solve that?

Thanks

50. Baskyn

Baskyn

Very great asset! This is great for a jump start on any platformer or sidescroller. Makes it so you don't have to do the tedious basics.

A few suggestions(basic platformer functions):
    - ladders
    - vines/ropes(for swinging/climbing)
    - attacking