Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Complete Physics Platformer Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Greg-Sergeant, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Besus

Besus

I believe Greg has stated that he would only do bug fixes should something in the kit break in future Unity releases.

2. Frpmta

Frpmta

Well, this counts as a bug:
    It didn't use to happen in the past.

3. Besus

Besus

Ha, and the funny thing about that is I recall being able to do that in 4.x as well. Maybe it didn't freak out as much as 5.x, but I swear you could always twist it off.

Frpmta likes this.
  4. Frpmta

Frpmta

Now that you mention it, I call it bugged now, but it was also bugged before that in the sense by twisting you could go back which is also a fake physics behaviour even if it does not feel broken haha.

5. Besus

Besus

Messing with this again, that is happening because there are no break limits on the joint. If you update the Throwing script to implement these break limits again, using 1000 for both force and torque limits prevents this (and causes the player to simply let go) while still being able to hold on to the pickup item. I haven't noticed any adverse effects of reverting this as a result of this with anything else (including pushables). This is with 5.6 however.

6. LoveridgeDesigns

LoveridgeDesigns

Hi guys i love the kit, how would i implement a heart sprite for the gui instead of a number. i have been searching for days if anyone can link me a tutorial in c# let me know!!

7. Besus

Besus

If I recall, there was a few posts dedicated to resolving this issue a few pages back. You could probably find it by searching this thread for slopes or sliding (or something similar).

8. Besus

Besus

Sorry, I should have elaborated on why I brought that up. It can cause jittering to counter the gravity with another force when you could just turn off the gravity - like the other work around posted. In addition using OnCollisionStay is expensive to check for that sort of thing (since it will query and compare all collisions occurring every fixed frame).

9. Besus

Besus

*Blush* Well thanks!

I actually had the opposite experience with jittering and such with the player. To be fair though, I haven't explored that in a few years so I likely coded it badly back then. :oops:

The more solutions the better though and it definitely sounds like you know your stuff (and did your research)! :)

10. Besus

Besus

Sounds like you're off to a great start! This kit is what motivated me to learn Unity/C# as well and I instantly fell in love with both.

I look forward to seeing what you're making (blog post, video, etc) so please share it when you feel it's ready. :)

11. DrDoggo

DrDoggo

Can any of you guys send me the demo? The Drop Box link for the demo is down. :0

12. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Hello guys.

Is anybody getting this error in Unity 5.6?

"In order to call GetTransformInfoExpectUpToDate, RendererUpdateManager.UpdateAll must be called first"

I've found that it has to be with the interpolation in rigidbodies and setting them to None doesn't make the message go away, but disabling the MoveToPoints script does.

Don't know what to do there :/
    The game still playable though.

13. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Thanks, I found those threads too but is not really a solution.

Tried Unity 5.6.1 but the issue was not fixed, so I'll just have to wait and see.

14. Lilconiglio

Lilconiglio

Hi guys,
    So is this kit updated to work on the last unity version?
    If not, is there a similar kit on the store that is updated?

Thanks!

15. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Hi. It does work fine. The issue we're reporting is a Unity known issue since 5.6 and will appear on any rigidbodies with interpolation (as I understand). Is not a problem that comes with the asset.

16. nicolasbulchak

nicolasbulchak

Hey guys, I just wanted to stop back in and say thanks to all of you for helping me learn so much in unity. Especially Besus and Danielsnd. We are no longer using the Physics 3D platformer, but it was so helpful in getting us up and running in the prototype stage. We are now doing some public game testing on our first level. Totally wouldn't of ever got there without the regular support and encouragement from this thread

DanielSnd and Besus like this.
  17. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

So I've got my eye on this, but I notice that it is no longer being updated with new features.
    The demo link is broken and there are way too many pages for me to read through to find answers to my questions, so I'm just gonna ask.

Were any of these features ever added:
    -ledge grabbing
    -long jump
    -box stacking (instead of throwing)

Are there any problems with moving platforms? I've seen a number of Unity games/demos where there is a slight lag between a moving platform and the player standing on it, especially with platforms moving down (the player falls slightly each frame) or with platforms that move too fast.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  18. d-3

d-3

Use the Parent function on moving platforms

19. nuonical

nuonical

No ledge grabbing that I'm aware of. Long jump is easy enough, and box stacking should be simple as well. For moving platforms it depends on your level requirements. As d-3 mentioned, parenting your player to the platform works well. I change the players friction material and the moving platform material when grounded, and that works as well. Just depends on what you need. I'd say try the parenting method first as it's simple and very effective, then go from there.

20. MOAI_

MOAI_

Hey @Yog-Shoggoth , I know this is very out of the blue, but I noticed that a while back (3 years XD) you posted a video where you managed to make a walljump for this pack using vector3.reflect and I was hoping you could share your code (If you can be bothered) with me. As I am trying, unsuccessfully to make my own wall-jump script and I'd love it if you could help me out :p

21. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

If I'm not mistaken, the flash object should be your player characters mesh. If your player character is made up of several meshes (i.e. body, face, hair) I don't know how to get multiple meshes to flash, unless anyone else knows how to do it.

22. Besus

Besus

This. It should be the (Skinned) Mesh Renderer for your character. This is what blinks the flash color when they are damaged.
    If there are multiple you want to blink, you'll have to edit the Health script to make the flash object an array, and then update the code where it toggles the colors to loop through that array so it blinks all of them.

elijahrockshout likes this.
  23. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi @Besus
    I changed character collision cube to a capsule collision, but the animations are no more playing.
    Do you know what is causing that ? I remember it was some variable length perhaps about checking floor.

24. Besus

Besus

Yeah you may have to extend out the raycast check length to check if the character is grounded or not (though if they are not, it should play the falling animation non-stop).

zenGarden likes this.
  25. alongkorn59

alongkorn59

upload_2017-12-10_23-50-43.png

How to fix
    i cant pick up boxs
    but frame I can pick up and can Pushable
    how to fix pls help me.

26. Besus

Besus

This means the CheckSphere is detecting a collider above the player (where they should lift the box to). Your character looks pretty big, so you would probably want to increase the "gap" on the Throwing script. Or do as the error suggests and make the player a separate layer and add a layer mask to the CheckSphere in the code itself.

27. ZYSHAQ

ZYSHAQ

Hello,
    The monsters act perfectly on computer, but do not walk at all in the iPhone mobile version.
    They used to walk but they stopped... Any assistance?

28. MrJump

MrJump

Hey Y'all,

I'm having a Physics Material problem.
    I'm trying to make an Icy Platform for the Player to walk on but the problem is the player is not sliding.
    I set the Dynamic Static Bounciness friction to 0.
    Anyone out there got any solutions? thanks

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

You can simulate the ice effect switching the player mass to a bigger weight and using impulse forces to drive the character, the inertia will be bigger and movement control will be harder. If i got time i'll put some code.

MrJump likes this.
  30. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

is this going to be updated again?

31. zenGarden

zenGarden

We can ask to the author.

32. Besus

Besus

If I recall, this kit has never played well with physics materials. They work up until you actually move the character. As soon as you do, the friction levels are negated and the character moves like they normally would. I think you would need to lerp movement speed (where the rigidbody force gets applied in CharacterMotor) when on a slippery surface to simulate the effect.

What were you hoping to see in an update?

33. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

Ledge climbing, combo attacks, ranged weapons, combo jumps, more obstacles and enemy ai

34. MrJump

MrJump

"Guten Tag",
    I recently posted a question about an ice platform thing.
    I kinda found a solution to the problem, I disabled the "Grab Box" and I made a platform with 2 box colliders, the first box collider is a trigger with the physics material "Ice" (which the Dynamic Static Bounciness friction is set to 0).

The player slides around but the player animation just floats about and doesn't jump.
    Any solutions would be much appreciated.

35. ApexofReality

ApexofReality

Where is the page with all the addons or is it spread all over this thread?

36. IndieGameHustle

IndieGameHustle

elijahrockshout likes this.
  37. dragonstar

dragonstar

this game i am making using Platform

38. dragonstar

dragonstar

i put a new video showing the game play

39. dragonstar

dragonstar

this a new video on the blog

40. dragonstar

dragonstar

another video showing the AI of the spider steam

41. zenGarden

zenGarden

The thread is for discussion about Physics platformer kit.

Please make a new thread for you game in WIP forum and stop spamming this thread.

twitchfactor likes this.
  42. blazon_sa

blazon_sa

Hello,
    The team I am on uses this for player locomotion in their current project. I'm ramping up on the project and had a basic question:
    When I plug in my 360 controller I only have 8 directions of orientation for the character. I'd like to have 360 degrees for smooth rotation and better character control. Is this not possible?

Thank you.