Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Complete Physics Platformer Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Greg-Sergeant, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Achieve your dream platformer featuring dynamic PHYSICS DRIVEN character interactions, immediate results with DRAG N DROP LEVEL DESIGN and compelling gameplay using SMOOTH, TIGHT CONTROLS! Guaranteed fun!

Features
    - Triple jump, bounce and slide across levels
    - Advanced moving platforms and obstacles
    - Rigidbody character Motor: no more 'faking' physics interactions!
    - Enemy AI tools
    - Dynamic world interaction: pickup, throw, push and grab objects
    - Collectibles, checkpoints, bouncepads, water
    - Auto-avoidance camera with water filter
    - Fully commented C# code + starter guide

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. sefou

sefou

Hi,

are your character's animations compatible with Mecanim ?

Thanks

3. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

Really cool! This is the smoothest 3D platforming i've seen in Unity.

4. devandart

devandart

Your Kit looks really nice!
    And the character is cute, too! :)

5. RetronamicGames

RetronamicGames

Are the animations Mecanim-based? Can behaviors be changed easily (triple jump to double jump, etc.)? Do you plan on adding stairs? Wall-jumping? Ledge-grabbing?

6. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

A. Of course; it would be easy to add extra animation functionality.

A. Yes! Everything that you would want control over can be easily adjusted, there are in-depth explanations of every script, variable, component and their uses in the new guidebook. If you think i've missed something which should be adjustable - ill add it in!
    (note: Triple jump here actually means jumping 3 times in a row with each jump being higher, like in Mario64)

A. Already possible, here's how: add an invisible collider so it's actually a slope OR use a capsule collider/sphere for the character - characters can use any shape collider and will appear frictionless.

A. Very likely. Any features that get requested frequently, fit the kit, and keep things simple WILL be added!

Just want to say that i am OVERWHELMED by how fast this is selling and the massively positive responsive from the unity team, so i am going to be working even harder on this, to keep it at the HIGHEST QUALITY! This is something i started making purely for my own games, so i know the kind of features and workflow i would like myself - and will continue to provide that. I'm going to be creating my own retail platformer game from this kit as well!

7. sefou

sefou

Wall-jumping? Ledge-grabbing?

+1 . Please.

8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Fantastic work...really fun!
    How hard is to change the character out?

9. Venged

Venged

Very nice. Great job! This is on my list!

10. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

This is great and I'd love to see wall jumping.

Quick question though, do you plan to add camera rotating with the mouse? I'd like my character to be able to attack and defend with the mouse buttons.

11. yoash

yoash

I bought this kit and it's great!

The kit itself is fantastic as you can all see in the demo. And there's great support which makes it even better!

I had a couple of questions and I emailed the creator and he got back to me the same day helping me out.

Great stuff. If any of you are on the fence, I would say just buy it! It's rare to get access to such a well made kit at all, and yet this one even comes at a great price!

12. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Its easy! Here's how:

- parent the model to the players collision box
    - Apply the 'player animator' component to it
    - Apply 'animator' variable for PlayerMove and Throwing scripts
    - Change the animation references in the 'player animator' component

Very likely, and i have some other ideas for more camera control that i want to add as well.

13. parnell

parnell

This looks incredibly promising. The demo was more fun than finished games I've played!
    With push/pull is it possible to make objects only push/pull-able if I press and hold the 'K' key?
    +controller support
    +Sprint option
    +crouch
    +simple melee attack?
    Also, any chance this would work for 3.57? I have a pro license still in 3.57 I know I'm in the dark ages but I'd buy it immediately if it was available.
    Thanks!
    B

14. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Yes, to make an object push/pull-able you simply add the tag: "Pushable" to it. For a pickup you add the tag 'Pickup'.. its that easy!

Though i haven't tested it myself, i see no reason why not.

Happy platforming!

15. sefou

sefou

HI Greg Sergeant,

hold K to grab larger objects work irregularly . I try adding size Z to 1 ( Box Collider 's GrabBox ) but no success. How to fix this problem.
    Thanks

16. parnell

parnell

Found 2 bugs:
    +You can 'climb' back up the zipline by just pressing back.
    +The blue block that shoots up-diagonally doesn't seem to play nicely with the character. As soon as you jump onto the blue block your character will float as the platform shoots up to the 3 collectibles in the air. I figured the character should have stayed grounded on the platform.

Thanks!
    B

17. Mars91

Mars91

Why not working with 4.2.1?
    Does it works with legacy animation?

18. JohnnyRey

JohnnyRey

I'm having an issue with object pickup - it really doesn't work in the demo scene. (however in the webplayer demo this works great)

Any ideas?

19. LordSoth30

LordSoth30

Hmm I think the description of this asset should be changed...
    "Requires Unity 4.2.0 or higher"
    When can we see it working on 4.2.1?

20. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Thank you for the feedback! Every teething bug mentioned has already been pinpointed and will be fixed within the next few days (as well as the 4.2.1 version).

The following features are being worked on:
    - added camera control (mouse based movement, camera zones for automatic targeting)
    - the much requested wall jumping!
    - 2D/2.5D support at the click of a button

The last feature i am very excited about, as you will be able to make 2D games, 2.5D games and also 3D games just with this one package, and because this kit utilises the power of Nvidia Physx (and not the cumbersome character controller), it is highly optimized for mobile games. I hope to add better iOS and android support in the future too.

We're the #2 most popular asset in the 'complete projects' category, lets get to #1!

21. parnell

parnell

Played the demo again. I noticed when picking up a block and standing right next to another block the character will throw the block over the box instead of stacking it.
    Is there a setting to adjust that?
    Also, is there a way to make a friendly AI? Plans to further AI?
    Will there be mobile control/gesture support?

Thanks again!
    B

22. BergerBytesLLC

BergerBytesLLC

Would I be correct in assuming this would be easily adapted for controller/mobile support? I've been working on my own character controller for the past week or so and this is so much more advanced I figured I'd look into it. Also, what is the issue with 4.2.1? That's the biggest thing holding back my purchase.

Thanks

23. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

It will work perfectly in 4.2.1 and have all bugs fixed, as soon as the new update is approved by the unity team :)

You can adjust the force and angle of the throw, as well as define the reach of the players arms.

Yes! You can define what a character follows, what they attack, whether they can fly, how close to get to a target...and much more. You could create a character who follows the player, attacks enemies and can be picked up and thrown! My #1 goal with this kit is to provide a package that is simple to use but provides limitless possibilities for fun. I want to release a video series soon showing off some of the cool things you can do with this package.

Yes! The next thing added to the AI will be a waypoint patrol system, to easily add custom paths for your friendly and enemy characters.

It should be easy to add any control system you like, i'm looking into adding more mobile options in the near future.

CodeAfrolliC likes this.
  24. JohnnyRey

JohnnyRey

Fantastic Support, answered my email the same day....Keep up the great work Greg!

25. LordSoth30

LordSoth30

Great stuff, will hold back until the update.

26. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Great news everyone! Today i added the finishing touches to 2D and 2.5D support!

Not only can it be done in just a couple of clicks, but there's a fully setup 2.5D demo which will go live for everyone to play as soon as the update goes out. And because you've got all the features of a 3D platformer you can do some amazing things like switch perspective (Fez), teleport to a back layer (Oddworld), or have really amazing camera angles (pandemonium)... there are so many possibilities, i made things i have never seen in another platformer before today, with no extra scripting!

Thanks again for all the kind emails i've been receiving, if you like this kit, leaving us a review on the asset store is really appreciated - everything helps us make this a great community of platform game developers and take the best platformer kit on unity even further!

27. Cyrus_Zei

Cyrus_Zei

Hi,

Will buy this kit as soon as I get my paycheck . Love it! Keep it up

I wounder two things :

1. For future update maybe add bow,boomerang, grappling hook, glider ? ?
    2. Maybe add so that you can attach 2 objects with a string. that will make the physics even more crazy to play with

28. FitzSoft

FitzSoft

I love the project and feel any noob to unity can benefit, including me :)

Would it be possible to include a demo scene with iOS/Android touch controls?

chavika likes this.
  29. sefou

sefou

Hi greg sergeant ,
    with your early update , i simply put 5 * in my review.

30. pinchmass

pinchmass

Can anyone talk me through swapping the character out, I'm new to Mecanim, am I correct in thinking I should be able to apple the animation to my character ?

cheer in advanced great kit

31. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Great ideas! Definite candidates for future updates.

This is really fun, try it out: add spring joint to an object, make the 'connected body' the player. Its quite unpredictable though, and so was not made a part of the kit.

Theres a post covering this on page 1. You can also send an email to support. I'll make this a priority for updated documentation and video tutorials too :)

32. RetronamicGames

RetronamicGames

Does this work with Flash export?

33. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Though i haven't tested, it's standard C# code, mostly working with raycasting and rigidbodies; i see no reason why not!

34. parnell

parnell

When can we expect the next update?
    Thanks!

35. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Does this have Gamepad support? If not, what's the best way to implement it?
    Looks GREAT!

36. Nomad_Artisan

Nomad_Artisan

First I just wanted to say that this is a fantastic project!

I'd like to also give a +1 vote to ledge grabs and wall jumps.
    I'd also love to see sliding when you're on too steep of an incline, and a 'sticky slide' down walls that you're touching while in the air.

So long as I'm mentioning desirable features, I'd love to see crouch, crouch jumping, and running crouch jump like in super mario.
    Also, are there any plans for swimming like in super mario?

I'll be trying to implement some of these things. I'm a digital artist by trade, not a programmer, but if I get anything working I'll send it your way to use or improve for your project.

37. vincentellis

vincentellis

I second that request. It would be awesome if you could give us a guarantee that the kit works on Flash.

Also:

• Ledge grabbing?
    • Versatile wall jumping? (by versatile, i mean configurable logic and tagged surfaces)
    • Flying? (like Mario 64)
    • Ladders?
    • Long jumping? (Mario 64, Z + B)

38. RetronamicGames

RetronamicGames

Anyone noticed a bug when sliding with the square? If you move the character while sliding, the collision fails and you fall.

39. jonkuze

jonkuze

Although I don't have a use for this kind of game kit right now, I just wanted to complement the developer! Awesome Work!! I played the Demo and really enjoyed it. It took me right back to my Super Mario N64 Days!

I also read your website where you mention not many people if any are making 3D platformers, and yes I have to agree I have not seen any 3D platformer games recently. So I think you may have just created the perfect tool to help bring it back! Great Job!

I look forward to seeing some new games powered by this Physics Platform Kit!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  40. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I was able to get gamepad working easily by tweaking the input settings. This is a fantastic kit, glad I purchased!
    Requests I have (sorry if they are already in)
    - first Person toggle view for aiming and shooting
    - gliding
    - swimming up and down
    - change mesh on damage (smaller or damaged version)
    - wind physics (pushes player off high areas)

Any estimate when the 2.5D version will be released?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  41. Grendal1971

Grendal1971

I love the look and feel of the demo in this kit, also the kit seems very well made and appears to have excellent support. However, I am fairly new to Unity and currently use Playmaker FSMs and minimal scripting. Would this kit integrate well with Playmaker's ability to use scripts as well as its FSMs?
    With Playmaker being as popular as it is, is support for it planned or considered in the future?

42. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

I vote for a Playmaker version, keep up the great work.

43. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Huge yes vote for playmaker

44. scottoliphant

scottoliphant

awesome! any idea when 2.5 this will be released?

45. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

The 2.5D/2D Update has been submitted to the asset store! It will be available as soon as Unity Staff approve the update.

Already in! See the: slope limit and slide amount variables on the 'PlayerMove' script :)

Already in as well! Drop the 'Water Zone' script onto a trigger area, and you can define the force applied to objects in any direction, as well as any drag you want to set up, the actual trigger can be invisible. Read the documentation and you'll find some good suggestions for how to get many uses out of the various modular scripts.

I'd love to, right now i'm having trouble finding a free version of Unity that has flash export. If you point me to one, i'll test it right away.

There are no plans for playmaker support at the moment. However..

Yes, definitely. Not only are the scripts modular and concise, but every variable you could want control over is public - so you can simply use the 'get and set property' blocks in Playmaker to interact with every aspect of the kit; and you can build your own functionality on top of it using Playmakers FSM's.

Good news! We are now an educational Kit :) A school in Australia has bought an educational license and is using the Complete Physics Platformer Kit in their ICT class! I've also received tons of great thank you emails from happy customers saying the kit is helping them to learn Unity and how to program a full game using C#, which is really amazing to hear. Thankyou!

46. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Fantastic!! Cant wait! I mapped the controls to a gamepad, my 6 yr old jumped in and learned the controls right away, very intuitive system you have! He was immediately proficient.

Thanks

47. akstudio

akstudio

Fantastic kit! Can't wait for 2.5D and 2D!

Another question regarding slopes, will you look to implement character rotation when on a slope so that foot placement matches ground angle?

Thanks,
    K

48. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Hello Greg it looks great, do you have a demo for the 2.5D en 2D ?

49. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Your following features post sounds fantastic

Does it already work well on iOS? In terms of performance?
    Will you also be adding mobile touch control eventually?

50. Stan-B

Stan-B

Great asset! I was playing with it and added the following line to the CameraFollow.cs to make it looks like RPG 3rd person camera:

void SmoothFollow()
    {
    //move the followTarget (empty gameobject created in awake) to correct position each frame
    followTarget.position = target.position;
    followTarget.rotation = target.rotation;

I think it's not a bad idea to add another camera view to the script!