Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Colony Simulator - Complete Project Template for Colony Sims

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Marc477, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Marc477

Marc477

Hi everyone!
    This new asset is a template to create Colony Sims games!

It is currently in BETA, so expect bugs and missing features, but I will be collecting feedback over the next few weeks to improve this asset, add new features, and fix all bugs.

Hopefully you enjoy it!

Gameplay
    -Desktop controls (mouse and keyboard).
    -Building and Crafting
    -Resource gathering
    -Inventory system
    -Selection system
    -Automated colonist work actions
    -Equipment
    -Character attributes (health, hunger, happiness...)
    -Attacking and HP
    -Factories for item production.
    -Resources regeneration
    -Tech Tree
    -Event system
    -Objectives
    -Game clock, day/night cycle
    -Save/Load system

Demo Windows: https://indiemarc.com/demo/colony-simulator/ColonySimulatorWindows1.02.zip
    Demo Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.IndieMarc.ColonySimulator

Doc: https://indiemarc.com/demo/colony-simulator/ColonySimulator.pdf

Tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0LYig0AgPT9T5IN5DCUiqQ/videos

Support
    Website/email: https://indiemarc.com
    Discord: https://discord.gg/JpVwUgG

Asset Link:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/colony-simulator-209446

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    frbrz likes this.
  2. Quills

Quills

Tried out the demo, few suggestions/notes:

Bugs found:
    - Colonists go idle and don't drop off their resources after depleting a resource even if there's more of that resource available nearby (e.g. trees)
    - Depleting a mine to 0 then clicking on it prevents anything else from being clicked on/interacted with until you reload. Additionally, colonists will frequently attempt to gather from mines with 0 resources.
    - Colonists can drop resources at storage sites before they're completed.
    - UI doesn't seem to update to reflect actual resources/population until clicked again e.g. you can't build a house if when you clicked "House" from the build menu you had under 25 stone even if by the time you click build you do.
    - No scrollbars/paging when your colonists/resources list grows too long to fit onscreen?

Some general QoL/feature suggestions:
    - A way to delete buildings.
    - Shift-click or similar for e.g. placing multiple houses.
    - Colonists sent long distances to build something then go back to what they were doing, even if what they were building was a resource drop off site and they walked half way across the map. Seems kind of odd/unintuitive

frbrz and Marc477 like this.
  3. MarcaisDesign

MarcaisDesign

Can this be played and built for android? I feel as though if it is just limited to windows your customer pool will be a lot lower. Just a suggestion sir.

4. thgsousa

thgsousa

it would be good to have a tutorial teaching how to configure a new scene, with the nav mash, obstacle collider and etc.

5. Marc477

Marc477

Hey sorry for late replies, I didn't receive notification for some reason. Most of these bugs are already fixed for the next version! Thank you for reporting.
    A way to delete building has already been added to 1.01 also (which will release soon).
    I will consider the other suggestions :)

frbrz likes this.
  6. Marc477

Marc477

I will do a mobile version soon, probably available in 1.02

7. Marc477

Marc477

Thats good, idea, but at the moment its no different than regular Unity for colliders and navmesh. So i'm sure there are tutorial already for this. Will probably focus on tutorial that are specific to this template first! Thank you for the suggestion

8. Marc477

Marc477

Version 1.01 - NPC update
    -Traders you can buy and sell items to.
    -Enemies that can attack your base
    -Ranged Weapons and Towers
    -Targeted Stats bonus when equipping some items (example, axe giving a gather bonus only on trees)
    -New event effects to spawn enemies/colonist and give orders to characters
    -Update save system to keep track of last action being performed by npc/colonists
    -Hold Shift to build multiple buildings
    -Button to destroy buildings
    -Various bug fix.

frbrz likes this.
  9. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey,
    Is it planned to implment some kind of road system ?

Marc477 likes this.
  10. Marc477

Marc477

Haven't planned it yet. Maybe in the future.

11. Marc477

Marc477

New Version: 1.02
    -Mobile Support
    -Improved Tech Panel
    -Optimization
    -Bug fix

frbrz likes this.
  12. egalactic

egalactic

Where i can download demo with updates?

13. Marc477

Marc477

I updated the links

14. Pen4711

Pen4711

Hi there! The asset looks good and I played the demo. I really enjoyed it but there are a few things I was hoping will be addressed in a future build that concerns me. There seems to be no collision detection between buildings, resources, and people. I had a storage next to a couple trees and the gatherer clipped into the building as they were gathering so I tested it out and I was able to build a house in between the trees and they stuck out. Will that be fixed so players can't place buildings on resources or at least have it note that there is a resource and mine the resources prior to building? Secondly, I noticed each individual resource allows workers to be assigned but the AI seems to pick randomly among the same type of resource not the exact one. The last thing I noticed during my play was the screen limits mentioned in the first post. Will scroll bars be added to the different screens (characters, etc) in the future or will it be limited to the current size? Great work on the asset so far!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  15. Marc477

Marc477

In the latest version i added interactions points that you can define that can help with having your character interact with an object from the right angle. This may help solve this issue. You can also try to turn the colliders into solid colliders (by removing IsTrigger) but from my tests it seemed to react better when things dont block others things from moving.

Concerning the resources gathering and building i will check that.

frbrz and Pen4711 like this.
  16. djdanlib

djdanlib

Would this be usable in a 2D top-down project with a reasonable amount of effort?

17. Marc477

Marc477

You would need to replace all art and anims.
    The core gameplay wouldnt change much, but make sure to use the top down camera (with floor in XZ axis like in the demo) and also keep 3D physics.

18. Marc477

Marc477

Colony Sim Update 1.05
    -Building Upgrades (pay resources to increase the building level)
    -Colonist classes (Each colonist has a unique stat bonus) (EX: cook, hunter, builder, miner)
    -Canceling under construction building gives back the resources.
    -Restructured code (especially for colonist type and tech bonus)
    -New bonuses (Build Speed, Gather speed at a specific building like farm)
    -New Knife item (give bonus in the kitchen or when attacking)
    -Various bug fix

shyamarama, drcfrx and Pen4711 like this.
  19. Denvzla

Denvzla

Hello, I am interested in buying, but I would like to know if you plan any new updates to add functions, such as roads for example.

20. RealWyldhunt

RealWyldhunt

@Marc477
    How well do your different sim templates work together?
    If I wanted a colony sim with all of your farming and/or survival stuff too, will the different shared components such as inventory and ai work together without fuss?

unityunity