Search Unity

[Released] CCG Kit: create your own collectible card game with Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Jan 23, 2016.

1. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

That is great to hear! Please note CCG Kit is stable since its initial release (the 0.x versioning convention is just that, a convention). Just wanted to clarify that. :)

peca92sk likes this.
  2. Gunhi

Gunhi

What happen with Trello? I could't visit the Road Map.

3. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It is working just fine for me.

4. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

some inspirational features ...

5. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I would rather not discuss other products in this thread, but I personally believe it is great that more options are becoming available in the CCG space. :)

6. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Spelltwine-Games, it is correct for me to presume that game zones are available in 0.6? Sorry I was a month on holiday so I lost track of a lot of things ;-)

7. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can define game zones already in the visual editor, but there is still additional work planned in this area (for example, effects that allow to move cards between zones).

cygnusprojects likes this.
  8. justinboyd5

justinboyd5

Hi @Spelltwine-Games, I'm really excited about getting this project. Quick question though, do you have logic to resolve multiple cards? Something like or similar to a stack?
    Thanks!

9. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your interest, Justin! There currently is no built-in priority/stack mechanism, but it should be possible to extend the existing functionality to support one. What is your use case? Do you want players to be able to respond to their opponents' actions (similarly to Magic: The Gathering)? Or do you mean something else entirely?

10. justinboyd5

justinboyd5

Not necessarily like Magic: The Gathering, my goal isn't to have the player responding to opponents actions. My goal is to create cards with abilities that have triggers. For example, assume there are two cards (Card 1 and Card 2). When Card 1 is cast it will remove target opponent card, then Card 2 has a trigger ability where whenever a create is removed it deals 2 damage to the controlling player.

I've never downloaded a project before. What's the effort on my end to keep the project up to date with your releases? Would I just use something like GIT and handle merges after downloading a new release?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I understand, thank you for the clarification. Implementing this type of interactions is possible with the kit, as it includes a library of predefined triggers for card effects (which is always being expanded in updates). For example, the demo game showcases cards like:

- A creature card named "Snake" with the following effect: "When this creature is dealt damage, it deals 1 damage to enemy player."
    - A creature card named "Sacred Wolf" with the following effect: "When this creature enters the board, you gain 3 life."

These card effects work within the built-in trigger system.

12. justinboyd5

justinboyd5

Thank you! I'm looking for the ability to have cards trigger off of each other, but I think I can build upon your examples to achieve my goal.

Thanks again!

13. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You are welcome, Justin! Depending on the specifics, that may actually be possible already. I would be happy to guide you through the steps needed to implement such a feature if needed or, even better, to include it as part of the kit in a future update if it makes sense to do so (i.e., if it is a generally useful feature).

DangerClose0369 likes this.
  14. justinboyd5

justinboyd5

That sounds awesome! You're very helpful and informative. Whelp, now it's time for me to go purchase the project. :)

15. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your purchase, and no worries! I am always happy to help. :)

16. peca92sk

peca92sk

Can someone please explain target possibilities for "Target card" effect ( like. "Strength" card in demo game ). I either dont understand or its not working :D

17. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

"Target card" as the target type in a card effect basically means "any card you select" (that fulfills the target conditions, if any). For example, the 'Strength' card increases in 1 the attack of any selected creature card.

18. peca92sk

peca92sk

Ok, so i want a spell "All enemy's goblins attack decrease for 1", and should be able to make it with:
    -target card effect definition (card creature,remove counter, attribute attack)
    -card collection "Strength"( because of demo) :
    effect decrease attribute
    trigger when enters the board
    target all current opponents card
    value 1
    target condition with subtype goblin ??

Or Im totally wrong ?

19. ogrebattler

ogrebattler

Can you implement the animated effect of having the card slide into its spot in the play area rather than just clicking and it appears there? Most CCGs/card games do this, and I think this would improve the visual presentation of the game quite a bit and shouldn't be too hard to implement. I tried to add it as an idea on the Trelo site, but no luck.. Nice toolkit by the way, I'll be buying it soon.

20. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Yes, that should be it.

21. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Definitely! Thank you for your suggestion and your kind words. I want the demo game to feature more animations and visual effects in the future (e.g., a targeting system). My focus so far has been mostly on improving and extending the core features provided by the kit, because users are going to create their own visuals for their games. But I understand it is also helpful to provide facilities in this area too, so I definitely plan to do it. :)

22. peca92sk

peca92sk

I dont know, it just wont work for me. I still need to target a card, and spell is destroyed after that :/

23. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Spells in the demo game are automatically destroyed after their effect is triggered (the 'Destroy after triggering effect' option is enabled for them).

I have just created the same effect and it works fine on my end. Can you send me your Unity project privately so I can take a closer look at it?

peca92sk likes this.
  24. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Just as a reference: this matter has been solved privately and the effect is indeed working fine. :)

25. peca92sk

peca92sk

Yeah, was my bad :D

26. trilade

trilade

Hi,

Do you have an ETA for providing documentation on dedicated server support with matchmaking?
    I've purchased the asset few months ago but it is not useful for a production environment without these.

Many thanks,

27. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

This one is not a straightforward answer, so please allow me to give you some context:

- My initial plan was to wait until Unity officially released its server library in order to leverage it. The library was planned for 5.4 but later delayed, and it currently has no estimated release date. A few weeks ago I started researching this very area in order to determine the best way to move forward (basically, involving a custom solution).

- The kit already works with a dedicated server setup. If you implement your own matchmaking system, that is. Of course, my goal is to extend the default support for this type of scenario.

- I would like to clarify your statement: "the kit is not useful for a production environment without these", as this is definitely not true. The fact that a game is released with a dedicated server or not depends on many factors (technical and business related), and there is no single, universally-valid solution. I can certainly tell you the kit is already useful for a production environment.

Having said that, I want to reiterate that I definitely understand how having more information and default support for setting up a dedicated server with the kit is useful. I have been working on it for a few weeks already and it will very probably be the main focus of my work after 0.7 is released. I actually cannot wait to share more details about it, but it is still going to take some time.

I hope this answers you! :)

28. agujjim

agujjim

If the cilck Create online game in the lobby Could not create match. You get the message. Create LAN game or find LAN game or is there is well-established in order to find a room online appreciated what to tell any settings on the local server.

29. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I am not really sure I understand your question. Did you setup Unity Services on your project as per the official documentation?

30. agujjim

agujjim

I'm sorry Unity service was not properly installed . I give thanks for help

31. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

No worries, I am happy to hear everything is working now! :)

32. MangeyD

MangeyD

I am not planning on a game that uses a conventional mana based system to play cards and I plan on having multiple zones cards can be played in and will need to be able to move cards between zones.

From what I have just read over these 5 pages I m not sure how well this kit would work for me without a lot of work. Can you comment on how easy it is to disable a mana based approach to playing cards.

Also can you comment on whether support for multiple zones with the functionality of card abilities allowing you to move a target card from one zone to another will be available soon.

I like the look of this framework and it is probably worth my effort just for the deck building and management but I worry that it is mostly geared up for MTG style games and won't easily suit the sort of project ideas I am working on that are not mana based power/defence creature/spell attack type games.

I understand that I will need to code my specific card abilities but I would definitely like to hear some comments on how easy it would be to work with this kit for games that have unique turn mechanics as it sounds like it is geared towards a pre defined concept of turn mechanics.

Thanks in advance for your comments as $100 USD is quite an expense for a father/son based hobbyist to spend if the asset will be difficult to use for our projects.

DangerClose0369 likes this.
  33. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

First of all, thank you for your interest.

The goal of CCG Kit is to provide a tool that is useful in the development of a variety of collectible card games. In that regard, it tries to assume as little as possible about your game design. For example, you define the available card types (together with their attributes) and the card effects visually in the integrated editor because this is more flexible than simply providing a monolithic card type with the usual mana/attack/defense attributes that may or may not make sense in your game.

Having said that, there are some fundamental things that the kit does indeed assume currently. For example, the fact that turns take place sequentially one after another for all the players in the game without interrupts or that cards are played onto the board by paying their cost. The next update (0.7), which I am currently working on, goes a step further into providing more flexibility in the game turn's structure by allowing you to define what happens at various points in the game sequence ("set life to 20 at the beginning of the game for all players", "move 1 card from deck to hand at the beginning of a turn for current player", etc.) via the editor.

Of course, there are always things that are best expressed in code. For example, how combat is resolved in the demo game is completely implemented programmatically, but that code is clearly separated from the core of the kit (i.e., it lives in the demo folder). Complete source code for all the components of the kit is included, so you can always adapt or extend it as you need. I know some users have implemented interrupts and alternate costs independently, and I would like to tackle these features at some point too. How easy or difficult that is is something that will depend on both your programming knowledge and the alternative mechanic you want, so it is hard to answer in a precise way. I believe it is doable and for several users it has certainly been.

You can also take a look at the official documentation to see how everything is structured in more detail.

I hope this answer is helpful and gives you a bit of perspective into the way I am approaching development on the kit. There are always things that can be further extended or generalized upon and I always appreciate the community's feedback, so please do not hesitate to contact me here or privately if you want to discuss your game requirements in more detail. Many of the features that are now available in the kit are a direct result of user requests that turned out to be generally useful in the context of the kit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  34. loss507

loss507

I made a card game and did all the art work. I want to make it into an app but I don't know how to program. Your card game is nice but doesn't fit what I need. The game I made is tested, fun, unique and easy to play for ages 10+. My email is Stucker.lance85@gmail.com. would like to speak to you. Thank you.

35. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

First off, want to say you seem to be doing a really good job of supporting your asset as compared to many of the other packages on here. Just read through a couple pages on here since I have been thinking of working on a CCG type game, and am always happy to spend a bit of money to save a lot of time.

The one thing I am curious about, is would it be possible for me to extend the kit to have the two players playing the AI? In other words, you have your matchmaking, then each of your player characters are using their cards (hopefully a bit synergistically) to defeat an AI player? A few weeks back, HS had a tavern brawl like this, and I think that could open up a whole host of different challenges/scenarios where instead of emphasizing an "antagonistic" focus you would have folks working to build decks that best compliment other players.

Thanks in advance!

36. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your kind words! :)

Team-based gameplay is one of the features that could be nice to have in the kit at some point, but at the same time I can imagine it may turn out to be a bit hard to generalize in a meaningful way because there are so many different variations (competitive, cooperative, players using shared resources or private ones or a combination of both, etc.). Having said that, if you feel comfortable with programming it should be possible to extend the default functionality in order to have two players fighting against the AI. The kit is already built with an arbitrary number of players in mind (in an all vs. all fashion), so such a task would mostly involve writing any additional logic needed to handle the team state for things like shared resources or additional rules for targeting players. You have the complete, documented source code at your disposal and you can always let me know if you need any help or guidance navigating and extending it.

37. Maxter

Maxter

Website with documentation is not responding

38. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Does it now? I just checked and it is working fine on my side.

39. Maxter

Maxter

Yes, still unresponsive. I guess there are some problems with reaching your server. Is there another way to get documentation?

40. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Please check your network settings. I ran some tests and the website seems to be definitely reachable worldwide.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  41. ThomasZhou123

ThomasZhou123

If i just want to see the singer player game AI script, what i need to see?

42. Maxter

Maxter

That's odd... I can access the website through my mobile network, but not from my PC. This is the first time something like that happens :/ "flushdns" didn't help.

Anyway, clearly problem is on my side. Thanks for the quick assistance.

43. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The DemoAIPlayer class, located in CCGKit/Demo/Scripts/Networking.

44. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Weird indeed! Let me know if you find out where the problem is.

45. ThomasZhou123

ThomasZhou123

If i just want to use this kit to create the single player game, and delete the networkmanager, multiple player game and so on. What i need to do? because i just started to design the card game

46. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You will still need pretty much all the core networking code, because single-player mode is actually implemented as a networked game with two local clients (the AI and you) rather than as a special case.

47. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The latest update to CCG Kit (version 0.7) is now available on the Asset Store! It contains several new useful features:

- You can customize the most important elements of your game's turn sequence in the integrated visual editor:

- There is a new effect to move cards between game zones:

- If you have a card effect with a player trigger, you can specify which player/s are the source of that trigger now:

Here are the complete release notes:

- Upgraded project to Unity 5.4.1.
    - Implemented the ability to define/customize the turn sequence using the visual editor.
    - Implemented a new effect to move cards between game zones.
    - Generalized player triggers in card effects.
    - Added the possibility to define a default card collection for new players in the server.
    - Implemented a “when card attacks” trigger in the demo game.

48. ThomasZhou123

ThomasZhou123

When the AI have spell 5, and 5 cards, he didn't do anything. And when it have 6 spell and more card, he just play one card, why?

49. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hard to say without knowing more details about the state of the game at that point, but please note the AI in the demo game is just an example of how single-player can be implemented in the context of the kit. Do not expect DeepMind-like levels of competitiveness. :)

Having said that, I am always happy to continue improving it on every update so please feel free to contact me privately with more details about the specific context in which this happened and we can take it from there.

50. Eruheran4

Eruheran4

Does I've got any CCU-Limitation by using the nodejs-server solution? Does it also run on a windows machine (-batchmode)?

unityunity