Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] CCG Kit: create your own collectible card game with Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I remember that game, it was amazing! Complete source code for all the components of the kit is included, so you are definitely free to use the parts you are interested in inside a bigger game.

toko_ and c-Row like this.
  2. c-Row

c-Row

Sweet - keeping an eye on your kit. Just waiting for somebody to release the 48-hour day on the asset store.

toddalbert likes this.
  3. carsenk

carsenk

Any ETA on when 0.5 will be released?

4. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

There is a lot of work currently going on for 0.5; as soon as I am closer to submission I will announce it as always. :)

Gunhi, peca92sk and carsenk like this.
  5. undeveloped

undeveloped

I absolutely love you! I've been waiting for something like this for months. I hadn't checked in a long time. Just logged in today and will be purchasing this within the next few minutes. Can't wait to finally bring our physical card game to the digital realm.

6. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! :)

7. Flaviof

Flaviof

Hello, Im waiting 0.5 to buy. Can you tell when you plan to release?

carsenk likes this.
  8. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I plan to release 0.5 when it's done. :)

I am aiming for an early May submission; it is hard to be more precise than that because there is a lot of work going on. Many new features and also an improved format for storing the game configuration based on user feedback. Definitely a very exciting update and I cannot wait to release it!

Gunhi, carsenk and peca92sk like this.
  9. Gunhi

Gunhi

Really active development. I don't know this can help you increase development speed or not just the suggestion. Just create a patron the people who love your asset would subscribe it, me included.
    https://www.patreon.com
    Can't wait for coming features

10. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your suggestion Gunhi! This is actually something several users have expressed interest in, as there is no subscription-based model on the Asset Store currently. One of the aims when releasing CCG Kit was to gather people interested in developing collectible card games and create a community where we can share our passion and knowledge.

Having said that, is a Patreon something you would like to see for CCG Kit? I am asking all current and future users of the kit here. I think it may be a good idea in that it is something voluntary that may help boosting development on the kit itself and also work on other aspects like written/video tutorials, development streams, early-access content, etc. Are there any drawbacks to it? Please feel free to express your opinion or voice your concerns here; you can also reach me privately if you want to.

I would also like to take the time again to thank you all for the amazing response CCG Kit is having. I am very grateful for it and also for your excellent feedback; it only makes me want to continue improving and extending the kit more and more. :)

vampy101 and Gunhi like this.
  11. JessieK

JessieK

I would happily donate to such a thing, the CCG kit is being updated at a damn good pace and it's a pace I would much rather doesn't stop, obviously some rewards you can have on the patreon could be taken from other patreons that are a lot like you're own, such as Yanflys where he allows donaters to vote on the next features that go in (Kind of to sort out the priority of the order you complete features in every month all the donaters get to have a vote for it)

I would support the idea, but it would also mean that things like development slow down (You taking time off from creating the kit for your own reasons) would become harder to justify, if that's something you are thinking about.

12. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your feedback Jessie! You make excellent points.

13. eddyfosman

eddyfosman

I just wonder how to add image as portrait of the cards?

14. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The demo game shows the way to do this; cards have an image attribute of type Sprite where you can directly select your desired sprite for each card from within the visual editor. If you need a type other than Sprite, you can just use a string attribute with the name of the resource instead and modify the loading code accordingly (this is in fact what I am doing for 0.5).

15. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! I have just submitted the latest update to CCG Kit (version 0.5) to the Asset Store for review. This update is a big one and includes the following features:

- Implemented a new JSON-based format for storing the game configuration.
    - Implemented new card effects: token generation and card transformation.
    - Implemented rarity system for card packs.
    - Implemented virtual currency for purchasing card packs.
    - Implemented new turn-based triggers for card effects.
    - Implemented additional condition types for card effects.
    - Implemented in-game chat in demo game.
    - Implemented drag-and-drop support in demo game.
    - Cards in the demo game now show their subtypes.
    - Improved the destruction flow of network cards.
    - Fixed player server errors when trying to register a new player with an already registered email address or username.
    - Fixed automatic discard of cards from hand at the end of the turn.

As always, submitting a new update means work on the next version (0.6) is starting right away. Remember you can follow the development via the public roadmap and also reach me for any question or suggestion. :)

carsenk likes this.
  16. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

any chance for a demo video for 0.5?

17. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Sort of! I am actually planning to do a series of more complete videos showcasing the kit's functionality in more detail.

pushingpandas and carsenk like this.
  18. carsenk

carsenk

So excited to see 0.5 :) come on Unity approve it! :p thanks for the update Spelltwine Games! :) very exciting!

I do really like your implementation of the NodeJS server, its brilliant, please do add more features to the server-side of things...this could lead to a really easy way to make a web front-end for the game.

19. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you very much! :)

What additional features would you like to see on the NodeJS server side?

carsenk likes this.
  20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

please clone heartstone! :D

peca92sk likes this.
  21. nixter

nixter

I'm sorry, but I can't find a link to the demo. Only videos.

How can I test out your kit?

22. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

There is no demo, because I find it hard to extract a minimal version out of the kit that still provides a good overview of the functionality provided.

23. carsenk

carsenk

Web Front-end like in this case the Views since its MVC? Right?

More options like player levels/ranks (I think it would be worth looking into Onyx Ranking System in Unity Asset Store or providing some documentation on how to implement it, they don't seem to respond. Being able to Trade cards/decks between players should also be put up on Trello :p

24. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Interesting things to consider. Thank you for your feedback!

25. nixter

nixter

I can see you playing a demo in the videos! And I'm guessing that demo is one of the ones in the Demo folder listed in your package contents here.

I would really encourage you to host these on your website where people can test them to see if they work properly. It looks like you have a good kit here for people interested in making a CCG. But people need to be able to try them out before they buy-in to your framework.

Take a hint from some of the top asset sellers like: Adventure Creator, Behavior Designer, Dialogue System, Inventory Pro, ORK Framework, Realistic FPS, Third Person Controller, Tower Defense Toolkit and UFPS. All of these have working demos. To say you don't need one because you have too many features sounds like a poor excuse.

26. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I was assuming you meant a demo/lite version of the kit itself with a limited set of functionality. That is why I said that it is hard for me to do such a thing, because, well, it really is. I prefer to devote my development time to continue improving and extending the kit rather than maintaining two versions with different sets of features (also, I believe one of the main strengths of the kit is its flexibility and would personally not feel very good about releasing a free demo/lite capped version).

But you are talking about the included demo game, so sorry for the confusion. Most of the assets that provide demos do so via WebGL builds for obvious reasons, and unfortunately I cannot provide one at the moment because UNET's relay server and matchmaking do not work on that platform yet and the demo game relies heavily on these services.

Thank you for your feedback!

27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I prefer that the dev working on new features instead blowing his time in creating a live demo...

28. nixter

nixter

Thank you for your detailed explanation. No, I don't mean a free reduced featured framework. Some do that, but it is a pain to maintain so I understand rejecting that idea.

I agree that a WebGL build is more convenient for prospective buyers, but if UNET is not stable enough to support in-browser games, why not release a downloadable PC/Mac version? Is asset piracy your main concern?

29. nixter

nixter

If you already bought it, then you don't have to be sold on the product. For me, a demo is virtually mandatory for anything over $30. But I guess others are less price sensitive.

30. eridani

eridani

I'm very interested in this product, but can you possibly put up a playable single-player demo on a website somewhere?

31. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you all for your feedback! I appreciate it, and will think more about this.

32. Eilraz

Eilraz

This is my first complete project I've gotten from Unity, so I am kinda confused on how to work with this. I was wondering how to be able to edit and add more cards? Maybe changing the display of the cards as well.

Also, I followed the documentation and am still getting a connection error. I activated the Unity Online Services and as well linked it to the unity project. Not sure what is wrong.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  33. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can edit and add more cards via the included game configuration editor (Window/CCG Kit Editor). As for changing the display of the cards, the kit does not force anything in that regard and you are free to render them as you want. You can take the demo game prefabs as a reference to see how this can be done (Demo/Game/Prefabs).

Regarding the connection error, please send me your invoice number and more details on what kind of error you are encountering and where to the support email and I will do my best to help you.

34. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The latest update to CCG Kit (version 0.5) is now available on the Asset Store! You can find it here.

It contains the following features:

- Implemented a new JSON-based format for storing the game configuration.
    - Implemented new card effects: token generation and card transformation.
    - Implemented rarity system for card packs.
    - Implemented virtual currency for purchasing card packs.
    - Implemented new turn-based triggers for card effects.
    - Implemented additional condition types for card effects.
    - Implemented in-game chat in demo game.
    - Implemented drag-and-drop support in demo game.
    - Cards in the demo game now show their subtypes.
    - Improved the destruction flow of network cards.
    - Fixed player server errors when trying to register a new player with an already registered email address or username.
    - Fixed automatic discard of cards from hand at the end of the turn.

Work on the next update, version 0.6, has already started and the public roadmap is available here.

carsenk, Gunhi and peca92sk like this.
  35. Eilraz

Eilraz

Thanks I was able to change the settings of pretty much most of the things.
    Still can't figure out how to change images of individual cards. I was able to edit game configuration editor in a text editor to change the cost/text/title etc of the cards but images seem more difficult.

36. Eilraz

Eilraz

Love the update with click and drag feature. Will there attack animation of cards soon like in hearthstone?

37. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Cards in the demo game have an 'Image' attribute which is a string indicating the name of a sprite living in the Resources folder to be used as the card image. There is a method called SetCardData that does the actual loading taking this attribute into consideration; you can look for it in the card prefab scripts.

38. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Glad you like it! :)

I definitely want to add more visual effects and animations to the demo game in future updates.

39. hapyoo

hapyoo

I would like to make a card game with no experience or knowledge of programming. The game I want to make is a mix between dominion and ascension. Can I do that with this kit and where do I start to learn?

40. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can definitely do that, but it is highly recommended that you have some programming knowledge. Complete, documented source code is included with the kit, but it may be too much to tackle such a big, complex multiplayer project as your first one. It really depends on you! :)

41. peca92sk

peca92sk

Well I finally bought the kit, and it seems great. But, a really big BUT is that I cant do anything with it, Im playing with AI in offline mode. So please, I know you are a one man org and that you work on releasing 0.6, but please take a break from that and make one long, very detailed, step by step ( literally from downloading) video tutorial where you will explain how things works ( server setup, service setup, new cards , new pictures, new effects, some scripts description, etc.). I hope Im not too selfish with this request, but I think it may help us a lot. Thanks in advance :D

42. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your purchase! :)

You can find the official documentation of the kit here, which contains detailed information on how things work and is continually being improved based on user feedback. If you have any specific suggestion regarding the content, just let me know and I will happily work on it!

Videos are an excellent idea. At this point, with many new features being introduced on every update, I am focusing my efforts on written documentation (just because videos are more easily rendered obsolete), but they are definitely on the roadmap.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  43. xKaliban

xKaliban

After I build the game and set up the server I can play the demo just fine, but the console fills with 999+ errors about 'index.js' existing in multiple locations and I can't build again.

Also, how do I get the CCG Kit Editor option to appear in the Window drop down menu?

44. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The kit contains no files named index.js (in fact, the kit is written in C# exclusively and contains no JavaScript files, apart from the optional Node.js server source files which are not intended to be located inside a Unity project but used externally instead). The CCG Kit Editor option appears automatically if the project compiles successfully, so it is very probably not there just because of the build errors you mention. What version of Unity and OS are you using? How are you importing the kit into your project? Are there any other files of yours in it?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  45. xKaliban

xKaliban

Alright, I've fixed it. It was just because I had the server files inside the project folder, cause I'm dumb. Thanks.

46. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You are not dumb! These things happen. :)

I am glad everything is working now and have added a note warning about this to the documentation. Thank you!

47. Gunhi

Gunhi

wow, the Kit is featured again, mean people are really interested in this. Well done and keep it up!!

48. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you Gunhi! I am really happy and grateful about the positive reception. :)

49. peca92sk

peca92sk

Hello again,

First of all I have to say ( again ) that the kit is a very very powerful masterpiece. Then I have to say thank you ( again ) for helping me to setup the server, you were very understanding.

So two new ideas for 0.6 :
    - First player advantage ( like drawing one more card or even a "coin"( no cost spell that adds 1 mana for 1 turn ))
    - Maximum number of creatures on board ( and then leave + 1 space because of the system spells currently use )

Btw any news on when will you release 0.6 ?

Cheers :D

50. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you very much for your kind words! I am glad I was helpful. :)

I like your ideas and have added them to the development roadmap. Thank you!

I would like to release 0.6 next month, but it is going to take some time because I am also working on creating a new website for the kit with extended documentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.