Search Unity

[Released] CCG Kit: create your own collectible card game with Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, how can I add particle effects to the spells and sounds?

2. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Please note this forum thread is for announcements and pre-purchase questions only now; for support questions feel free to reach me at the official support email address.

Generally speaking, the kit does not impose any particular way of doing game-specific effects. You are free to implement them as you see fit depending on your game design.

3. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

hmmm, disappointing. Its a crutial feature dont you think? And your support email address, where can I find it? Its not on the purchase page, not on your website, not in your signature or in this starting posting.

4. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can find it on the asset page, my publisher page and the official wiki. I just tend not to write it down explicitly here in case it changes in the future and to reduce the incidence of spam bots that automatically collect email addresses from websites.

Regarding visual effects, it is something so game-specific that I prefer not to force a particular vision of them into games using the kit. For both flexibility and performance reasons (I expanded upon this a while ago in this post). If you need any specific help with adding an effect at a particular point in the demo game, please feel free to reach me at the support email address and I will be happy to assist.

5. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

all righty thank you!

gamevanilla likes this.
  6. jujment699

jujment699

Hi Spelltwine. I just had a few questions. I noticed the sale (i'm not sure how long it lasts but if you can get these answered before it comes off sale i will definitely consider purchasing.)

I already have developed a pretty fleshed out card game and after getting stumped over a few features I am wanting to implement I came across CCG. I would want to merge the two games which from my perspective seems easy enough as far as assets go, but not so easy on mechanics.

The game I am designing is not similar to hearthstone but more similar to MTG, one of the biggest differences being mana cards instead of turn based mana. I also dislike how the cards change from cards in hand into the circles, i see in earlier versions you used the older MTG style setup with the rows of cards instead of the hearthstone style. But it's been a year or so, so that is completely gone? Or is it still there maybe as a separate scene/project? If not how easy would it be to merge my style into your game? Does your game use scriptable objects? Do the circles on the playing field reference the info from the SO? Or are they instanced objects/images?

The problems I see ahead are lots and lots of tedious readjusting of images, font, layout, etc if you aren't using SOs or interfaces or the like.

The other question I had was about the multiplayer. How "multiplayer" is this? Is all the logic separated to prevent client side cheating? I saw the video on inventory/deck building. Is inventory handled server or client side? CheatEngine brings lots of poblems to games like this. How feasible would it be to launch this build? For instance, what if I just purchased it right now and launched it as a free to play card game (not that I would do this), but is it that far in development?

I'm sorry about all these questions, there is just so much missing information. I basically have a game I could launch but I am severely starved in knowledge about netcode, server side to client side interaction, matchmaking, lobbying, server based inventory management. Basically anything multiplayer.

I am seeking out this toolkit to hopefully learn to implement these things as I cannot find any other resources online that really look as in depth as this. They are all irrelevant. It is difficult to go take classes/watch videos about something completely different like RPG multi player or FPS multiplayer (big topics in the industry right now) and use that information to apply to something as obscure as a trading card game. I am also very worried about cheating. As it stands in my current build I can cheat engine my game and even overcome coding boundaries using it. (Such as having 5 card limit but cheat engine breaks that limit, not only in inventory but in deck, etc.)

Thank you, hope to hear back.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

First of all, thank you for your interest! The sale ends on September 17th at 6 AM PDT.

The kit does not use scriptable objects; it serializes objects via Full Serializer, which is JSON-based. The old scenes used in the accompanying demo game are not available anymore. How easy is it going to be to change the visuals of the game is something I cannot generally answer because it depends on many factors like the nature of the changes and your knowledge of Unity. It is definitely doable, but of course implies changes to the associated prefabs and potentially their code too.

The kit is server-authoritative in order to prevent cheating; you can find more information about it here. This is not really relevant in the default context of using Unity Services, which provides player-hosted games (so cheating can still happen because the player acting as the host is the server and a client at the same time). But an integration with Master Server Kit is also provided if you are interested in running the kit on a dedicated server of your own. The game code is exactly the same when using Unity Services and when using Master Server Kit (only the matchmaking code is different), so you can switch from between one and the other pretty seamlessly. Please note that Master Server Kit needs to be purchased separately.

The deck building in the accompanying demo game is completely local to the clients.

The kit is intended to be used as a starting point for creating your own multiplayer CCG. It will save you many hours of development time and can also be used as a learning tool, but further work is expected if you want to release your game. A multiplayer CCG is a complex project and there is really no way around that. Some areas that you would need to expand upon for a commercially shipped product would possibly include:
    • Developing your own visual style (card art, effects, etc.) and sounds.
    • Designing your own game mechanics.
    • Creating and balancing your own collection of cards.
    • Integrating server-side persistent data like player card/deck collections, booster pack purchases, etc.
    Having all these features built-in would take a significantly more expensive and complex asset. Also, no game does them in the exact same way, so even in that scenario additional work would still be required. I do my best to improve the kit with every update based on the user feedback, but the focus is always more on the core features than on the very game-specific ones.

One of my main motivations for creating the kit was precisely to help shed some light into the process of developing a multiplayer CCG.

I hope this helps!

ddixon_unity likes this.
  8. Qmaks2

Qmaks2

Where i can find a demo to play and try this asset?

9. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

There is no demo; you can find a gameplay video here.

10. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Just a reminder that CCG Kit is on sale until the 17th!

11. spashkou

spashkou

Hello Spelltwine. I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to develop with the CCG kit a GWENT like game? So the mechanic of the game should be not like MTG or Heartstone, but a bit different. With best of three system and with three rows on the table etc.

2) Is it possible to call game core without interacting with UI? I want to build a sophisticated robot to play my game and I need to make it play the game just by calling some functions and not by interacting with UI.

Thank you.

12. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It is certainly doable, but please note that it will definitely require additional programming work on your side in order to implement the new gameplay mechanics.

It is. The accompanying demo game includes an example single-player mode that is actually implemented within the existing networking architecture (that uses network messages extensively), where the AI player is actually a networked player that takes decisions and sends/processes the appropriate network messages without performing any kind of UI interaction.

I hope this helps!

13. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Only 24 hours left on the Back to School sale!

14. xharkx

xharkx

Hello Spelltwine. Last week,I bought CCG Kit and Master Server Kit.
    I try to integrating Master Server Kit.
    https://www.ccgkit.com/wiki/index.php?title=Integrating_Master_Server_Kit

And I got error.
    File: CCGKit -> LobbyScene.cs
    Method:OnPlayNowButtonPressed()

Code---------------------------------------
    #if ENABLE_MASTER_SERVER_KIT
    ClientAPI.PlayNow((ip, port) =>
    {
    ClientAPI.JoinGameServer(ip, port);
    },
    (ip, port) =>
    {
    ClientAPI.JoinGameServer(ip, port);
    },
    error =>
    {
    });
    #else
    GameNetworkManager.Instance.matchMaker.ListMatches(0, 10, string.Empty, false, 0, 0, OnPlayNowMatchList);
    #endif
    ---------------------------------------

Error:Method 'PlayNow' has 6 parameter(s) but is invoked with 3 argument(s)

Any Idea?
    Thank you.

15. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your purchases! Please reach me at the official support email address (which you can find on the Asset Store page for the kit) with your invoice number and I will be happy to help. I am trying to keep this forum thread for announcements and pre-purchase questions only.

16. xharkx

xharkx

17. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello!

As you may have noticed, I have changed my publisher name from Spelltwine Games to gamevanilla. Do not worry; I am still the same person I was before and nothing is going to change in that regard. The only reason to do this is because this is a name I truly identify with and feel it better reflects my current work. You will find the updated information on my publisher page. Please note that the old website and support email will still work for quite some time in order to ease the transition.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and feedback. It sincerely means a lot to me and I am looking forward to an exciting time ahead. :)

peca92sk and Dziemian like this.
  18. CheckPointGames

CheckPointGames

How i can change the picture of a creature card in demo Scene?

19. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Please reach me via the official support contact form (which you can find on the Asset Store page for the kit) with your invoice number and I will be happy to help. I am trying to keep this forum thread for announcements and pre-purchase questions only.

Thank you!

20. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! Version 1.05 of the kit is now available on the Asset Store. These are the release notes:
    • The end turn button is now blocked while a card is being played.
    • Several fixes to prevent interacting with the graveyard cards.
    • The hand cards are not rotated if there is only one of them.

21. Wew_Lad

Wew_Lad

Is there a thread like this for CCG Kit but focused on support? Thanks in advance!

22. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

You can reach me via the support contact form that you can find on the Asset Store page for the kit (here).

23. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! Version 1.06 of the kit is now available on the Asset Store. These are the release notes:
    • Upgraded project to Unity 2017.1.1 to prevent the security vulnerability in previous versions of the engine (more information here).
    • The card pictures in the demo game are loaded dynamically and use sprite masks now.

Dziemian likes this.
  24. obaideen

obaideen

hi, i need to make trick-taking card game( of 4 players), is this kit work for me or its only ccg ??
    Regards

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  25. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The kit is completely focused on CCGs.

26. Dziemian

Dziemian

HI Spelltwine,
    since the official trello of the kit is down, could you share your plans regarding changes/features that you plan to implement in the next version of the kit or would it be too much of an inconvenience to you?
    Thanks in advance!

27. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I actually removed the Trello a while ago, back when I introduced the official private repository, as it felt a bit redundant and the main work on the kit is complete since version 1.0. There are several suggestions from users that will be the focus of the next updates (new card effects and some refinements to the visual editor).

28. peca92sk

peca92sk

Woow, so the kit is done ?

29. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Far from it! I was specifically referring to the core functionality of the kit, which is pretty much stable since 1.0. There is always a list of ideas and improvements for future updates and I do not plan on stopping anytime soon. :)

peca92sk likes this.
  30. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! Version 1.07 of the kit is now available on the Asset Store. These are the release notes:
    • Added material property to demo cards in order to be able to easily add custom effects to the card pictures.
    • Miscellaneous fixes to all the recent user-reported bugs.
    I am also happy to announce that the kit has been selected for next week's Black Friday Sale, where you will be able to purchase it with a 50% discount.

Finally, a sneak peek at something we have been working on for the past few weeks that is coming very soon...

31. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

32. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I am super happy to announce our collaboration with Unity, Shadero Sprite by Vetasoft and Dwarves - Card Art Pack by Critical-Hit!, two excellent assets that work wonders in combination with CCG Kit. We have launched a series of tutorials focused on creating a set of cards with amazing art and visual effects that can be directly integrated into the kit.

Thank you very much to Unity, Vetasoft and Critical-Hit! It was an awesome experience to work on this together and we really hope you find it useful. :)

Dziemian and vdBeren like this.
  33. Dziemian

Dziemian

Great news Gamevanilla, bought it!
    In that regard do you plan to add a in game currency and booster shop? I think its the last crucial peace that is missing. We just have to wait or do we have to figure it out and implement them on are own?

Thanks in advance!

34. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! :)

There are no immediate plans to implement it. Having currency/boosters built-in would take a significantly more complex and expensive asset due to the additional server support they require. Also, no game implements these features in the exact same way, so even in that scenario additional work would probably still be required on the user's side.

35. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The Mega Sale has started, with CCG Kit at a 15% discount!

36. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello!

Between the collaboration with Unity, Vetasoft and Critical-Hit! and the Asset Store sales, there have been a lot of exciting announcements as of lately. But there is still one more thing...

Ever since CCG Kit was initially released, I have received a lot of feedback from users wanting to learn how to create a multiplayer collectible card game from scratch. In fact, this was actually one of the reasons for creating the kit in the first place. For many users, having a solid foundation is good enough to learn and experiment on their own. But I have also learned that many others would prefer to follow a complete, step-by-step course rather than working with an existing codebase on their own. Unfortunately, there are not many resources available in that department.

So I have decided to create my own course, Create your own multiplayer CCG with Unity, which will be released on December 1st. Joining it in early access is the best opportunity to have a say in the direction and contents of the course while it is being created and, additionally, purchase it at a lower price. I feel this course can be a great complement to CCG Kit if you want to learn the underlying concepts that were applied in the development of the kit, or even a complete alternative if you just want a gentle introduction to the process of developing a CCG from scratch. If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to let me know!

37. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I have received a few inquiries about the Create your own multiplayer CCG with Unity course and the differences with CCG Kit that I would like to answer. The game created during the course will be very similar (gameplay-wise and visually) to the demo game in CCG Kit, but the code will be completely developed from scratch and without using the kit. In that regard, the course's code will be much simpler than that of the kit even if it follows the same underlying networking principles, because in the kit a visual editor with the ability to customize the basic stats of the players and cards is provided together with many different combinations of card effects (which makes it more generally useful for different types of games, but also more abstract and complex). While in the course's game, we will have a fixed game design: players will have life and mana stats, creatures will have cost, attack and defense stats, etc.

The idea is to explain step-by-step how to go from zero to building a simple multiplayer CCG without having any previous networking experience. For example, if you feel tackling the kit alone is too hard or you are not interested in the kit itself, it can be a good way to learn from scratch the fundamental ideas applied in it. You can see the kit and the course as complementary tools, rather than one being a direct replacement of the other.

I hope this helps!

38. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

39. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Today is Mega Sale's final day! Purchase CCG Kit with a 15% discount:

40. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Dziemian likes this.
  41. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

Damn missed all the sales. Is there one planned soon?

42. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Unfortunately, there are no plans for another sale at the moment. Having been part of three different sales in the last couple of months, I would not expect one anytime soon.

43. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

Acquiered it, hope it doesnt go in sale in the next few months :S
    Emailed you also with an issue.:)

Edit: Fastest reply EVER, great

44. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your purchase and happy to help! :)

45. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

46. CandyBotGames

CandyBotGames

Hi gamevanilla,

This looks very close to what I need! I've created a physical card game and mostly want this to create an online demo of said card game for marketing purposes.
    That said, can this kit build to WebGL? I know you mentioned UNET as an obstacle, but I'd be fine with a game where you simply play an unintelligent AI, no servers needed. Most of my potential customers won't go through the work of downloading an app just to demo a new card game.

Thanks!

47. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

That is right; the matchmaking facilities provided by Unity Services do not work with WebGL. Considering the example single-player mode in the demo game is actually implemented within the existing networking architecture of the kit but uses no matchmaking, it should technically work, but I feel using it for a relatively simple web game like the one you mention may be a bit too much.

I hope this helps!

48. unity_u735AG9-yUE8jA

unity_u735AG9-yUE8jA

Hi Gamevanilla!

I am planning on picking up your kit but I have some questions regarding a couple aspects of the kit that I'd like to know before buying so that I can research/learn and plan as needed and hit the ground running on purchase.

I plan on adding my own card assets (card icons, pictures, and card backs) and would like to get some of these done beforehand so that I can have some assets ready to demo/make cards for and playtest. What are the dimensions/specs for the card images, both for the ones on the card themselves and card backs, and on the icons when circular images in-game (assuming these differ from base cards)?

I would like to develop my game as a mobile app, published via the Google Play store. I've done this in the past with other apps that I've developed, but I am unsure of the amount of work it would take to implement mobile/touch controls and interfaces in this kit. How accessible is it in it's current state for this? I am a recent grad who studied programming so I'd be alright with some additional coding, but I'd like to evaluate scope prior to this so that I can look into other kits/tutorials for implementing mobile controls into this kit if need be.

Thank you!

49. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The demo game contains several prefabs for the cards, but you should not worry about their exact dimensions: it is very easy to change them as appropriate for the design of your game.

The controls work with no need for further changes on mobile devices, although if you are exclusively targeting mobile you may want to refine them as appropriate for your game.

I hope this helps!

50. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Dziemian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.