Search Unity

[RELEASED] CAT Game Builder:The easier, faster way to make games in Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jsoucy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Duffer123

Duffer123

@sirgolan , excellent news! Can't wait to see how you've implemented it all...

2. Duffer123

Duffer123

For instance, how far have taken character customisation and selection with on-screen models? What about UMA and/or Skinned Meshes and/or Mount Points, and then conveying on-screen choice of Race, Subrace, Class...?

3. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Once this is wrapped up do you have plans for supporting VR?

Mark_01 and Duffer123 like this.
  4. sirgolan

sirgolan

We haven't done anything with visual customization of characters beyond equipping weapons/armor. I'm debating adding that though. Mostly I've been thinking of having an extendable system for it with some basic things included. Then we could add more later or other people could do that.

Duffer123 likes this.
  5. sirgolan

sirgolan

I think we would most likely only support VR if there was a huge outcry for it or if we were doing a project with it. I did add some basic stuff for Oculus/GearVR that isn't available yet. I could think about releasing that but it was really basic.

StevenPicard likes this.
  6. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

It wouldn't hurt to include those. Maybe when I get to the point I am focusing on the VR portion of my game I'll expand on it.

sirgolan likes this.
  7. eggeuk

eggeuk

Hi Forum Members, just bought CAT!
    Have read all the tutorials and had a look to most of the videos.
    I used graph oriented programming and now, not anymore sure if graphs are good for overview of ones work.
    I'm looking forward finding an optimized workflow with CAT.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  8. eggeuk

eggeuk

Lots of warnings when installing in fresh Unity, unity 2019.1f1, cat 1.60
    There are 51 Warnings, of 30 line endings, remainder to obsolete things and missing files.
    Just as info for getting a nice start with CAT.

9. sirgolan

sirgolan

Awesome! Let me know if I can answer any questions (or ask in discord).

I will say we just tested in 2019 and most everything works, but there is a so far unresolved issue with attacking the enemy in the RPG example scene. I'll try and get one of our engineers to look at that this week. It seemed like a collider thing.

I'm curious what files were missing. Also, I'll have to remember to run the code through something to fix the line endings before the next version. I'm not sure why, but Visual Studio seems really bad about that lately.

10. eggeuk

eggeuk

I have posted a screen shot about the warnings on Discord.
    Thanks for testing with 2019.

sirgolan likes this.
  11. anakein

anakein

i am searching one builder, i need VR support for oculus (quest overall) and reading, you have basic development and you are waiting is people want add this options. finally, you are going release version with VR support?.

thanks

12. sirgolan

sirgolan

We're currently trying to wrap up the RPG addon (any day now). We don't have an Oculus Quest to test on unfortunately, though we do have some integration with GearVR that may work there as well. I will look into releasing that after the RPG addon is ready.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  13. unity_7UFP4-iCkwsgjg

unity_7UFP4-iCkwsgjg

would it be possible to use this asset in a simulation animal survival game?

14. sirgolan

sirgolan

I don't see why not! The RPG addon (submitting to asset store any day now) will have a lot of useful systems for a game like that as well.

15. unity_7UFP4-iCkwsgjg

unity_7UFP4-iCkwsgjg

but would it be possible without the rpg addon and can we integrate our own scripts?

16. sirgolan

sirgolan

Yeah, totally possible! There's a RPG demo in the core CAT release which uses simplified versions of some of the RPG systems. You can definitely do things like combat, inventory, NPC A, etc without the RPG addon. It just makes it easier and also more scalable.

There's a section in the manual on either writing new Conditions, Actions, and Triggers, or integrating whole systems into CAT. There's also a blog post on our site which details how to integrate a new system.

17. Duffer123

Duffer123

@sirgolan , anything more yet on the RPG Module release date eta?

18. unity_7UFP4-iCkwsgjg

unity_7UFP4-iCkwsgjg

so if i got this asset I wouldn't need to get behavior designer?

19. sirgolan

sirgolan

We're at the "any day now" stage of submitting to the asset store. :)

Duffer123 likes this.
  20. sirgolan

sirgolan

Nope, you should be able to do everything you need with CAT!

21. RJP3

RJP3

Do CAT support making Mobile games for iOS and Android?

22. sirgolan

sirgolan

Certainly! There have been games made with CAT released on iOS, Android, WebGL, Windows, Mac, and Linux. We are hopefully doing a game for consoles and one for Apple TV in the next few months. Though there's no reason why CAT wouldn't work out of the box on those platforms as well.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  23. RJP3

RJP3

thank you!

24. RJP3

RJP3

I know you all are finishing up on the RGP module...is there still plans to make a RTS module?

Duffer123 likes this.
  25. RJP3

RJP3

Any update eon release of RPG module?

Duffer123 likes this.
  26. sirgolan

sirgolan

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get an email about this message for some reason. I think I answered in Discord, but we do still have plans for other addons including an RTS one.

It's done! I'm submitting an update to the main CAT asset right now which is a requirement in order to run RPG. Then I'll submit RPG directly after.

27. sirgolan

sirgolan

Oh, as a side note, we had to make the decision to drop support for Unity 5.6 (there's just so many CAT features at this point which rely on things that didn't exist back then). Hopefully that doesn't affect anyone. If it does, let me know and I'll see what we can do.

28. sirgolan

sirgolan

One more thing! Here's the release notes from the CAT Game Builder version that I'm submitting right now:

StevenPicard and Duffer123 like this.
  29. sirgolan

sirgolan

CAT RPG Builder is officially submitted to the Asset Store for review! I'll update when it is approved!

mindfulmx, StevenPicard and Duffer123 like this.
  30. sirgolan

sirgolan

While you're waiting for CAT RPG Builder to be approved on the Asset Store, you can check out this new tutorial on how to spawn objects. Let me know if there are other tutorials you'd like to see!

Duffer123 likes this.
  31. sirgolan

sirgolan

32. sirgolan

sirgolan

New bugfix versions of CAT and CAT RPG have been released.

Also, check out our YouTube channel. We've started pushing out more videos on both CAT and CAT RPG. If anyone has suggestions for new ones, let me know!

33. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

I bought CAT Game Builder a few days ago and I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to set up a simple quest. I’m familiar with other comprehensive Unity assets such as Adventure Creator and Playmaker so I’m prepared for the need to work through examples and videos to understand how the asset works. However, the quest video tutorial is not helping me at all. It describes elements I don’t understand and tells me to use assets I can’t find. I want to set up a quest where the first person player approaches a NPC called father and is asked to find and return a manuscript. It seems simple but I can’t see how to do it. Can anyone help with a step by step guide? Thank you.

34. sirgolan

sirgolan

Hi! Thanks for purchasing! Are there particular aspects that are giving you trouble? I could possibly do a video on that or point you in the right direction.

I just took a look at the quest video, and I don't see anything obvious that seems like it's referencing something that's missing in CAT. The CAT UI has changed a little since that video, but I don't think it's enough to be confusing. Was there something in particular that you aren't finding?

35. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Thank you for the prompt reply. My main problem is shown in the screenshot:

CAT Quest.jpg

Your quest example on the left shows a string - Talk to Yukiyu. My attempt on the right shows the entry as it appears when loaded, and I can't find a way of changing the Localisation entry to the string message I want my NPC to say. This is what I meant by assets I can't find - this detail doesn't seem to appear in the video or the manual. Judging from other entries above, most of your users seem to be better acquainted with this sort of asset than I am and can probably fathom out what they are meant to enter but I am finding that I need much more simple step by step instructions. This would be preferable to a video as a written tutorial can be followed at my own speed. Of course the very ideal solution would be a book going through the whole asset and perhaps ending with the creation of a complete game. I learnt Unity and Playmaker with such a book and it was a pleasure to work through. I know it's a huge task but I can dream for nothing! A Udemy course would also be attractive. Anyway, thanks for your help with this.

36. sirgolan

sirgolan

Oh! Yes, the localization system had a pretty decent sized overhaul since any of the videos were made about it. The good news is that it's much easier to use now. We may not have updated the manual with the new info. I'll make sure to work on that. Using Localization is optional, so you could just put whatever text you want in those boxes and that's what should show up. If you do want to use localization and you're working in a new scene, you'll need to add the Localization Service:

upload_2019-7-22_13-57-55.png

Then you'll want to create a Locale Collection and Locales for your game by right clicking in the Project window:

upload_2019-7-22_13-59-48.png

Locale is the option below Locale Collection. You create one of those for each Locale you want to support and then add them to the collection:

upload_2019-7-22_14-2-48.png

And then set the LocaleCollection in the Localization Service:

upload_2019-7-22_14-3-18.png

Once you do this, your Quest / Quest Stage / Quest Steps will have this:

upload_2019-7-22_14-4-43.png

I just found a bug and you have to add one item to the Locale before you can click that circled button. Continued in next message.

37. sirgolan

sirgolan

Open your Locale file and just add one entry:

upload_2019-7-22_14-7-31.png

Now you can click the button I circled in the previous image and get this:

upload_2019-7-22_14-8-17.png

That's the new Locale editor / selector. From there, you will see (as tabs) every Locale you have defined. You can search through them using the search text box, and you can click "New..." to select it and then click it again to create a new one or do the same thing to any existing value to edit it. The key should go at the top and the localized text should go at the bottom where it says "Nothing selected." above. You can edit both. If you add slashes "/" to the key, it will turn into folders / categories so you can better organize things.

Hope that helps!

38. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Thank you again. I appreciate your help, and the detailed step by step procedure. Unfortunately I still can’t make it work, and in trying to do so my programme froze and I had to restart. I’ve come to the reluctant conclusion that I’ve pretty much wasted a fairly large sum of money on this asset before it’s fully tested, and before video tutorials and manual are complete so I am regretfully going to abandon the asset until more progress has been made to render it fully operational and thoroughly described in tutorials.

39. sirgolan

sirgolan

I'm sorry to hear that. If you're interested, I'm happy to go through any further issues you're having. It might be more expedient to do so on our Discord assuming we can find a time when we are both available. I can assure you that the asset has gone through testing including being used in a few games, one of which has around 1-2 million players. The changes to localization were made based on feedback from one of the game teams. I do apologize for those not having made it into any tutorials yet, and as I mentioned, I'm working to remedy that. You can, by the way, just avoid localization for now if that's the only thing holding you up.

40. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

I have imported CAT and CAT RPG in new project and I have 4 errors. Unity3d 2019.2.0f1
    Error on import.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  41. sirgolan

sirgolan

Interesting! We haven't tested with 2019.2 yet, but those Analytics things seem to change often, so I'm not surprised. You can just delete the files they're in and then you will probably get errors for CATMenuItems.cs which you can also delete. But then go to the CAT menu under New and hit Refresh which will regenerate it.

At this point, I might just pull the Analytics CATs out and put them up on GitHub for anyone who needs them.

Either way, I'll make sure we get a fix out for this to the Asset Store asap.

Thanks,

Mike

Duffer123 and MAXFORCE like this.
  42. sirgolan

sirgolan

I just submitted a new version of CAT Game Builder to the Asset Store. It has the fixes for Analytics. Here's the release notes:

Mark_01 likes this.
  43. sirgolan

sirgolan

I've been trying to put together a new tutorial every week. I've got my work cut out for me on the RPG ones for now, but I'd also like to put out regular CAT Game Builder ones. Does anyone have suggestions for areas to cover?

44. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

Hi. I imported CAT and then imported ummorpg and unity3d have 23 errors. Without ummorpg fine, no errors.
    CAT+UMMORPG Error.jpg

45. sirgolan

sirgolan

Interesting! Those all seem related to Quests. I wonder if ummorpg has a "Quest" class that isn't in a namespace. I have ummorpg (hoping to do a CAT integration at some point :) ), so I'll check this out and see if there's anything on our end that we can do, but if my suspicion is right, it's something ummorpg would have to change. Thanks for reporting that!

Edit: also, sounds like your Analytics issues are resolved. If so, that's great!

MAXFORCE likes this.
  46. sirgolan

sirgolan

Actually, I should note that we're currently doing a CAT integration with mirror, which is the networking component that ummorpg uses. So, once that's finished and the Quest issue is resolved, you might be able to use CAT with ummorpg without a full integration.

Duffer123 and MAXFORCE like this.
  47. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

I wanted integration with mirror. It is great!

Duffer123 and sirgolan like this.
  48. sirgolan

sirgolan

If you aren't subscribed, make sure to check out our YouTube Channel. We've been posting 1-2 tutorial videos a week on there for CAT and CAT RPG. Here's this week's videos:

49. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Can you please release a demo game of the RPG Builder? I want to play it before I buy it.

50. sirgolan

sirgolan

Hey! Can do! You can check out the main example game in WebGL (performance not so great since this example was not built for WebGL) or for PC.

Enjoy!

Mark_01 likes this.