Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(RELEASED) Cartoon FX: Cartoon/Comic Book styled Particles Effects Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jean-Moreno, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Update 06/2020:
    Cartoon FX Remaster has been released as a free update to Cartoon FX Pack 1, please go to this thread instead: https://forum.unity.com/threads/cartoon-fx-remaster.924215/
    Thanks!

ABOUT:

Cartoon FX Pack 1 is a toon-styled particles pack with various effects suitable for any game genre.
    It also features mobile-optimized versions of each effect, and Cartoon FX Easy Editor is included with it! (very useful to scale any particle system!)

You can view the INTERACTIVE DEMO here!

FEATURES:

- 50+ unique prefabs composed of several particle systems to create various effects such as hits, water splash, electric ground, various explosions, smoke "poofs", electric bolt, thunderbolt, and more!
    - a total of 110+ prefabs including variants of unique ones
    - effects in 3d, i.e. visible from any angle, that work well with 2D and 3D environments
    - handmade very high quality objects
    - high resolution textures so that you can use them for whatever need (e.g. scale them down for mobile support!)
    - editor script to easily resize any Shuriken-based particle system so that you don't have to modify all values manually
    - you can also tint any effect easily with the editor!

Link to Unity Asset Store

EFFECTS LIST (not including variants):

Water Fountain
    Water Splash
    Water Ripples
    Explosion
    Ground Explosion
    Small Explosion
    Small Explosion Alternate
    Smoke Explosion
    Smoke Explosion Alternate
    Ground Smoke Explosion
    Flame A,B,C
    DoubleFlame A,B,C
    Hit A,B,C
    Ground Hit
    Electric Ground
    Electric Ball
    Electric Bolt
    Electric Mesh
    Thunderbolt
    Line Poof
    Smoke Poof
    Smoke Trail
    Smoke Puff
    Flash
    Light Wall
    Circular Light Wall
    Gas Leak
    Magic Poof
    Spiky Auras
    Soft Star Hit
    Tornados
    Fireworks
    Ground Aura

If you have any suggestions or requests, or are just interested in this, please speak up! :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. kalamona

kalamona

A very nice pack indeed, and nice presentation. I especially liked the water effects.

One thing that got me really excited:
    Is this possible? I was told it is not possible, because one cannot access the more advanced parameters. Did you found a way, or all of your particles just use the topmost parameters?

Also a minor thing, the fire types flicker at the bottom. You can add a gradient alpha to their color so they smoothly come to life instead of suddenly appearing.

3. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Thank you for the fire suggestion, I'll try as soon as I can!

Yes, you can change all (I think) of these parameters through the SerializedObject interface from Unity; so you can only do it with Editor scripts, but it can be really useful!

(Wow, my package got approved as I wrote the reply. It only took a few hours to reach the Asset Store, that's really fast! :eek:)

indushikaks likes this.
  4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Dang, those are pretty impressive. Looks like some quality work!

5. kalamona

kalamona

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it!

6. p6r

p6r

Absolutely fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Exactly what I needed...

Merci beaucoup Jean...
    J'espère être ton premier client !!! :)

6R

7. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I just submitted a new version fixing the flames base flickering, thanks to Kalamona!
    I also added new flames using alpha blend, i.e. cool vivid flames that work over any surface:

They've been added to the demo (last effects), check them out :)

@p6r: You're welcome, I'm glad! (Hé, un vieux de la vieille! Je me disais bien que ce nom me disait quelque chose :) Si tu te souviens d'un Jaspile de la Click Communauté francophone, c'est moi!)

8. p6r

p6r

:):):) From MMF to Unity3D too !?!
    All we have learned with MMF is very useful here.

I wanted to learn to code (javascript) for 2D and 3D games and I have discovered Unity3D with a lot of pleasure.

I just have added your toon explosion effect to my actual game and it works fine !

The water effect + particles are wonderful !!!

I hope you will update this package as often as possible...

6R

9. p6r

p6r

Hey Jean,

Your scaling system is fantastic and so useful. I used it immediately in my game to reduce the size of your "explosion" particles following the size of my spacecraft ! Thanks a lot for this option...

6R

10. murteas

murteas

These are really well done. I'll pick them up as my next asset store purchase. Great Job!

11. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you like them!

Version 1.2 has been accepted; I fixed some problems that could appear with some of the prefabs and other transparent/alpha blended objects (z-sorting issues), most notably all the prefabs with a comic book text in it.

I took the opportunity to add another water effect: CFX_Fountain!

It's been added on the demo page along with the other water effects :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. atmuc

atmuc

are these effect mobile and 2d compatible? is it enough just scale down images for mobile?

13. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Turns out scaling isn't enough for mobile optimization after what I've read in various places, so I have just submitted a new version including mobile-optimized version of all the prefabs, following the guidelines and tips found from the documentation and the forums!

Optimization changes include:
    - Added a particle additive shader that uses only the alpha channel to save up on texture memory usage
    - Monochrome textures' format has been set to Alpha8 to get a much smaller memory size while retaining the same quality
    - Other textures' formats have been set to PVRTC compression
    - Textures have all been resized to small resolution sizes through Unity; you can however scale them up if you need better quality
    - Particle Systems have been changed accordingly to retain color/transparency and overall quality compared to their desktop counterparts

I'll let you know once the new version is approved by the Unity Asset Store team!

14. atmuc

atmuc

@jean can i use these effects on my 2d game?

15. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Yes, they should work well within 2D and 3D environments!

16. outtoplay

outtoplay

These look great. Look forward to the mobile optimized set of effects. Would love to see more water splash type effects. Thee ones you've done are great, would love to see more. The lightning rocks as well..

Good luck with this Asset, very nice work
    b.

17. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Update 1.3 with mobile optimized effects has been released on the store!

I'll see what I can come up with for new water effects when I have time :)

18. blurededge

blurededge

After viewing the demo and the fact that you've optimized for mobile, this just made my buy list. Nicely done work Jean.

19. p6r

p6r

The more I'm playing with your fantastic FX, the more I enjoy them...
    It's very nice to see them in action. (I will show here my work little by little.)
    Thanks a lot for your perfect support and help too. I'm a very happy customer !!!

6R

20. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad!

Just a heads up: I'm working on making the scale script more friendly and with a few more features!

21. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Progress of what I'm working on:

You will be able to (hopefully) fully copy properties from a Particle System to another, from whatever module you choose :)

For example, if you like the movement effects from a system and want to apply it to another system with already-defined material, animation, size, color, etc., you will be able to do it with a few clicks! (instead of having to manually copy the values).

So far Initial and Emission modules are working perfectly; still have to test the other ones!

If everything goes smoothly, this will be included in the next Cartoon FX update!

22. p6r

p6r

WOW ! That's a very good idea...
    Can't wait to test it !

6R

23. kevdotbadger

kevdotbadger

This is terrific! Great job, is there any way to add our own textures to it?

24. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Thanks!
    What do you mean by adding your own texture?
    You can freely change all the textures from any particle effect if that's what you want; everything is fully accessible and alterable in Unity!

25. gameboy

gameboy

Great work Jean!

Could you add effects that would simulate the spray/wave action that a boat would make as it plows through the water, or the "planing" effect it would make as it skims over the surface of the water at high speed?

I would also like to see a wavy whoosh effect that could simulate a gust of wind or the trailing effect of an object moving at high speeds that changes direction quickly.

Simply awsome. I think you've got a hit tool here!

26. p6r

p6r

@ gameboy : +1 !

6R

27. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi,

yep very cool package :)
    I think you should concentrate on making new effects rather on the GUI part ! ( well for me at least :p )

28. sirius_002

sirius_002

Great and useful asset, just some suggestions; sparks, blood, rain.

29. outtoplay

outtoplay

+1 additional effects

great package

30. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Thanks for the comments everyone! Please don't hesitate to leave a review or rate the pack on the Asset Store if you like it :)

I'm already working on a new set of effects, and I thoroughly take note of all the suggestions you made; I'll do my best to satisfy your needs!

I try to please the most people, and seeing the limitations of the Shuriken system scripting-wise, I believe that the tool will really be useful for a lot of people! But rest assured that I will definitely release new effects at some point! Stay tuned for more news about this :)

Not sure what you mean here; is it a trailing effect like the wind in Zelda : Wind Waker? (I'll try to do something like that anyways!)

31. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

New update has been released with Cartoon FX Easy Editor!
    It also has been released as a standalone product if you don't need the effects.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

The update is amazing! Thank you so much :)

It would be really helpful if you could add "Force over Lifetime" to your scale system.

33. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Sorry, this was an omission! It has been fixed and submitted to the Asset Store; it should be updated within a day or two!

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you! The system getting better every single update.

35. blaze

blaze

Very, very interesting asset.
    Can you do some blood effects? With a big gore and very bloody effects, I buy in the release minute.

36. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I'm working on new effects, including blood! I will show the new work in progress effects during the next week if everything goes well.
    It might be released on a new package though (I prefer to release several packs with a low price rather than one big pack and raise the initial price)

37. blaze

blaze

Then, would be great a "Bloody Pack", with only blood effects.
    I need some buckets of blood to my game, and dont know how to do.

It will be a 2D shooter.

I want to buy your editor, but, I will wait for the "buckets of blood" pack. Maybe it will come included too.
    There is some hope?

38. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

I won't make a blood-only pack, but I'll try to come up with various blood effects for the next pack (I already have 2 ready and other ideas in my head to try).
    The editor will be included in the next pack too!

39. pneill

pneill

Jean, love your effects. What I loved especially about your pack is that it was unique. Nothing like it in the asset store.

FWIW, As a big user and purchasers of assets on the asset store, I'd like to share with you some observations;

The asset store is filled with "Magic" particle effects. But there is a total absence of modern and scifi shuriken particle effects.

A couple of opportunities that I see.
    - Explosions - yes, explosions. The only shrunken explosion particle effects packages in the asset store are the ones provided by Unity - seriously.
    - Impact effects - debris from buildings, dust coming up from the ground,etc.
    - Science fiction effects - laser beams, photon torpedoes, energy blasts, atoms, etc

Look forward to seeing what you make next and if your next pack includes any of the effects like I describe above, you'll have another purchase from me.

40. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Thanks a lot for the kind words and suggestions!

I do have a few explosions in the works, including a Wind Waker-styled one. I'll see if I can find other types of explosions.
    Did you mean realistic explosions too? Because right now I'm focusing on toon-styled effects, but I could give a shot at realism at some time in the future.

I've actually made one impact effect with rock or wood debris for my next pack; I'll probably make more variants! If you have ideas of other debris types, tell me!

I'm experimenting stuff for lasers with a combination of custom shaders and particles, but I'm not sure that it will be convincing enough. I'll see what I can cook up for the other effects.

41. p6r

p6r

Your Comic Cartoon effects are so wonderful in my 2D/3D project for children...
    Here you can see a video of my educational project (only the game here !) where I use your FX a lot : :)

(Look at full screen !)

6R

42. pneill

pneill

Yes, realistic ones. It's a huge opportunity for a particle effect developer. The only shuriken explosion effects in the asset store are the Unity ones and they're not very realistic.

That sounds great, you should include impact to buildings too (ie. bricks, concrete,etc) Realistic would be the better move here as it increases your potential market.

I hear you on that. They're hard to do well. (probably why there are hardly any in the store) Lasers are very hard and probably better suited for line renderer effects, but torpedo effects are probably easier.

43. kevdotbadger

kevdotbadger

Good work man.

44. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot...

And I had forgotten to thank Jean for his perfect help and support.

6R

45. blacknirvana

blacknirvana

Awesome effects, I think they'll be perfect to the project I'm working on right now

46. JOHNMCLAY

JOHNMCLAY

Fantastic job Jean, those effects are brilliant!! =D

I can see many many people getting some great use of those, myself included!

Any plans to create more effects and what not? =)

47. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Nice work on the video! I'm glad I could be of any help :)

Well for now I'm focusing on a new pack keeping the toon style; I might give a shot at realism afterwards, but it can be harder to get generic ready-to-use realistic effects.

Sure thing! I'm currently working on a new pack in the same vein as the first one. Right now I have several effects ready (item pickup effects, blood, rain, more water effects, sparks, and various skull/enemy death effects!); I'll release more info and a demo during the week if everything goes well!

48. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Hey guys!
    The second pack is coming along nicely, I still need to take care of a few things and its first version should be ready to be submitted!

Here's a preview of the Pack2!

I hope you'll like the new effects :)

49. blaze

blaze

Wonderful!
    If I buy the pack, you will give support for some customizations?

Jean Brito

50. Jean-Moreno

Jean-Moreno

Sure thing; I'll do my best if you need anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.