Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Candela SSRR V2 Advanced Screen Space PBS Reflections for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That is unfortunate. The shader I'm using is Alloy skin and that is in forward rendering, and Candela SSRR is not working with it

2. super-cypher

super-cypher

Please could someone answer the above? im new to this plugin and would like to know how it performs on mobile?

Mihai77 and kenshin like this.
  3. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

We have decided to wait until Monday due to the sheer number of users, if still not available by then we can provide a direct download link, Thanks again for your patience everyone!

Cheers,
    Michael

4. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Should work fine with V2.1 as Candela is not doing anything special/unique with the buffers. As long as it is an Opaque shader the reflections will work and writing to _Glossiness or _Shininess Channel will allow it to be modulated...

Cheers,
    Michael

CandelaV2_madness_sale.jpg

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'll have to get an image of my Character model because it's not reflecting the environment on the skin. Even with a Cornell Box, I'm expecting the model to reflect everything. I even disabled the sky.

6. Frogger007

Frogger007

A glass shader with this reflections would be nice !

7. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Truely an amazing product so far!

but without reflection probes it honestly truly is something that will not work alone and I agree with previous criticism that they are definitely needed in a real environment. Having a game where you cant see a ceilings reflection because you're looking down and you cant see the ceiling on the screen wont exactly do the trick and will very quickly break immersion...

I can say that since this is SSRR all of the screenshots on the store page are definitely just Candela SSRR, but they're taken at quite opportune angles, and show the best of the product. However, in those scenes you can't really see where the struggle would come in, blending this product with reflection probes and not ending up with double reflections will be a task in its own. I'm just now starting to use the product but If I find some interesting tricks that work ill post more.

8. Frogger007

Frogger007

I have no reflections in the red marked regions.
    How can i solve this problem ?

I have used this parameters:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Your first two images arent loading correctly, be sure you're in the newest version of unity 5 and have HDR on your camera turned on in the new deferred rendering path.

10. Frogger007

Frogger007

In the scene i have used this camera settings:

Attached Files:

11. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Those circled area are not reflecting because they are not visible by the camera... that is the downside to SSRR, if its not on the screen it isnt reflected. The floor is on the screen, but the reflection of the wall does not exist because you can not see the piece of wall that would be reflecting onto the floor, which is why so many are confused by what this product actually does and how it works, and is intended to work.

12. Frogger007

Frogger007

Ok, then i use two black bars in the gui to hide this !
    Thanks for the information !

13. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Realistically, after using this for a 3-4 hours now, I don't see this product being used in addition to cube mapping, it will look terrible no matter how you go about it because the two fight over control of reflections. Your strength if using this product would be to have unrealistic or non existent up close reflections, and hope that the more at distance reflections are good enough to entertain people.

At least this is the case in very open interior scenes, that do not have lots of game objects to draw attention away from reflections not exactly working 100% realistically. I just don't see a way to blend reflection probes well with this product, and I hope the developers of this product make some more in-depth tutorial videos/documentation on the product. In particular how to use it to its best potential including a scenario where you need to blend probes and the SSRR.

Now that I've said that about reflection probes, here is what Candela SSRR does right, note that there are no probes in this scene and all reflections are being managed by SSRR...

One from one of the Marine's rooms. (Still no detailed art in the game just yet just base environment models {walls corners floors ceilings}).

One from the Squad corridor.

Both look great! But again as you get closer to the player I'm forced to blend out the reflections... Which I mean realistically could be end game graphics and look great but its not entirely perfect reflections and adding probes just seems to make S*** ugly.

Note that I imagine the environment seen above is like the worst case scenario using this product, as all wall and floor materials are very very smooth surfaces, with the cracks being made of metal, and the tiles being smooth plastic. SO If there are any more flaws you'd see them pretty strongly above.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  14. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Hi.

Friday arrived, I emailed and asked for a link, you said you would upload the files.

Saturday, I emailed and asked for the link, you said we should all wait until Monday.

Monday is here, V2.1 is not on the asset store.

Please can I have a download link to the update. Or should I email Unity support and complain about their approval process?

daville likes this.
  15. MS80

MS80

I would like to get a download link for 2.1, too (email send at Friday)

Would be cool if you could start your own download section on your webpage for future updates, quick fixes etc. Many developers provide a product registration per assetstore invoice, so developers can quickly give their customers updates, fixes or beta versions. Both, developer and customer, benefit from this solution! Waiting 3-4 weeks for an obsolete update (when 2.1 arrives asset store 2.2 maybe ready) is annoying!

16. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks for you kind words! As we have announced V2.2 is going to Dramatically change the notion of SSRR. It 'almost' eliminates the shortcomings of general SSR. V2.2 Reflects 'almost' everything off-screen and on-screen with very negligible impact on performance! No need to fade out reflections anymore if you wish or nowhere near as much.

It really does not feel like SSR at all, providing the freedom of global ray-tracing. V2.2 has also eliminated reflection occlusion issues significantly which were prominent in V2 and other third party implementations. This becomes much more important with the ability to reflect everything off-screen. We will post a video soon demonstrating V2.2 and submit it to the Asset Store as soon as V2.1 is approved.

Also regarding reflection probes you have mentioned, the current Unity method cannot really be used as they are not Pixel accurate and almost impossible to align with Candela SSRR. Our upcoming Unreal Reflection probe product solves this and then some.

Hi, everyone who requested should receive their direct download info to V2.1 within the next 12-48hr's as we are sending them in order of requests, thanks again!

Cheers,
    Michael
    Livenda

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

@LIVENDA This is what I have to deal with right now using Candela... you can see through the skin part of the character (The checker pattern can be seen)... something that is not very desirable if I am working on complex designs. Also reflective objects turn black in my scene (I am assuming it is stuff like it is rendering the sky even though it is disabled)

Attached Files:

18. Chris-Sinclair

Chris-Sinclair

This sounds a little on the "too good to be true" side of things. Is it completely runtime generated? That is, doesn't require some prepass on "static" geometry? (kind of like how the existing dynamic global illumination works) In my use case scenario, everything in the scene is procedurally generated at runtime; there is zero static content that exists in the Unity Editor. Will the benefits of the V2.2 upgrade still work in such an environment?

19. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

This is honestly quite amazing sounding, and I cannot wait to see how it does!

I'm also interested in this unreal probe you speak of, it takes aloooooooooot of tinkering to get unity reflections working well.

20. papibeast

papibeast

Hi , I just purchased this , And when I apply it in my scene I get really buggy black every couple of seconds filling up the screen.
    Please help or I would like my money back.
    Thanks

21. Frogger007

Frogger007

I think the store would not update the asset, as long as it is on madness sale !

22. MS80

MS80

The 48hr's are over and I still got no direct download info! I requested it on friday (14.08 with invoice), please make sure we get the download for 2.1 as you promised! Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, but you really should stop making promises you can't satisfy! I am really looking forward for v2.2, but till now no one has seen 2.1 for weeks, we are all on 2.0 with it's issues! I don't get it why your asset store updates take such a long time... as other developers you should find your way to quickly provide your updates / fixes to your customers! Instead you promote version 2.2, it's clear to me you have to wait for the asset store until 2.1 is up, but in the meantime you could at least show some videos showing 2.2 in action!

8Infinite8 and Frogger007 like this.
  23. Frogger007

Frogger007

I have asked him 2 times the last days, no reaction !

24. MS80

MS80

@LIVENDA do you think this is the right way to fix your PR issues? Please, pay some more attention to your customers, you won't regret it! With attention I mean support, answering individual questions, instead of promotion and promises!

25. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi Everyone,

There are more then 1000 users and we are sending them in order of request, everyone should have the link by Tomorrow. We just don't have the bandwidth to provide it to everyone at once including the security issue, thanks again for your patience!

Cheers,
    Michael

-------------------------------------
    Madness Sale is Almost Over!

26. LoDx

LoDx

Hi @LIVENDA ,

From the product descriptions, it says :-
    And I read somewhere in earlier post that :-
    Would like to ask for confirmation if it is indeed Mobile compatible ?
    - just need to be sure if it is 'Yes' or 'No' for mobile compatibility.

Thanks for your kind reply.

27. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

I believe it is but its using legacy shaders, for it to use standard shaders you have to be in the new deferred rendering mode which is only available for pc/mac/linux.

Essentially there are two ways to use candela, Using the deferred path which will work with just about any shader that has the right maps, and then there is the legacy path which has several custom made candela shaders which you simply plug in your textures to and apply to a material.

28. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

If/when someone finally does get access to v2.1, would you please post your thoughts here? I have to admit it feels a little suspicious that no one seems to have gotten v2.1 yet. The madness sale ends tomorrow...

MS80 likes this.
  29. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Honestly, I have the current version on the asset store and I can say that if you're even remotely interested in buying it, buy it. It is the best SSRR on the asset store currently, and frankly I don't get the bad reviews for the product. Does SSRR have its drawbacks? Yes. Is there a better way to do it? Maybe and if there is I'm confident the team at Livenda will get it to that point.

30. papibeast

papibeast

@LIVENDA

Still waiting for a response please...
    Hi , I just purchased this , And when I apply it in my scene I get really buggy black every couple of seconds filling up the screen.
    Please help or I would like my money back.
    Thanks

31. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

It's not the quality of the asset I question. It's more that I wonder if updates really have been completed and submitted when they are stated as such. There is a longstanding history of "delays" when it comes to Livenda's assets.

Again, I don't claim to know anything definitive, but all of the historical posts related to this type of issue make me (and others, I imagine) wonder.

MS80 likes this.
  32. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Perhaps post some screen shots of your setup, or a video of your issue? Are you using Deferred? Set to Linear? Camera set to HDR? What shaders are you using?

33. papibeast

papibeast

Thanks for the reply,
    it states it works for all rendering paths etc..
    what doesn't work with It? what should I avoid?
    Thanks!

34. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Without seeing how you are using it, it's hard to help :)

35. papibeast

papibeast

Hey ,
    I am using Unity standard shader,
    forward rendering , Linear.
    I even tried switching to deferred still same issue.

36. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

are you using multiple camera?

37. eskovas

eskovas

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  38. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Thanks for that. That video link perfectly illustrates the common drawbacks of SSRR that I mentioned earlier in this thread.. Even DICE haven't solved the problems.

What GPU do you have?

39. papibeast

papibeast

GeForce GTX 690

Thanks for trying to help out! I really appreciate it

40. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, which version of Unity are you using? Thanks.

---------------------------------------

Also, everyone who requested the update to V2.1 via our direct download (before it is available on the asset store) should have already received the links by now, if not, please let us know and we can send them to you again.

Last day for the Madness Sale, 12 hours left

41. papibeast

papibeast

Hi, Thanks for the reply , using latest Unity version 5.1.2
    Can I also get the update to v2.1
    Thanks

42. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

I think the Standard shader only works with DEFERRED rendering path, atleast that's the only path I can get it to work in...

Their legacy shader/helper shaders allegedly will work in all paths.

Though I haven't experienced that flashing thing thats going on in your camera...

43. MS80

MS80

Anyone really got a download link?!
    I am still waiting for a link! Really pathetic...

44. Licarell

Licarell

Oh man... ya know I bought the upgrade thinking we have really turned the page on this...

Really @LIVENDA you have really got to rethink your business model... your burning bridges with your current method. Boasting V2.2 when 2.1 is not delivered. Here is what you do, boast when versions are already on the store, set a date internally for upgrades and receive bug reports from users. Only boast of upgrade when viable and ready for publish.

You have got to know potential buyers are reading this thread, step back and read through this thread as a potential buyer and tell yourself would you buy a relatively expensive plugin with what is being said...

Your marketing plan is your worst enemy...

daville and MS80 like this.
  45. giraffe1

giraffe1

his excuse about bandwidth is so dumb...i guess we are suppose to pretend like he has never heard of dropbox, mega.nz, google drive or the other million free sharing services. they all offer huge gigs of bandwidth for free...

MS80 likes this.
  46. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I've opted to not purchase this asset because of this longstanding and continuing trend of updates not really being available when they are advertised as such. I have no doubt this SSRR solution looks amazing, but the lack of transparency is too great of a risk in my mind.

Should that issue be eventually resolved, I'd be more than happy to purchase and support the asset at full price.

47. Mauri

Mauri

I don't think they mean bandwidth as in internet ressources. To me, Livenda Labs just doesn't seem to be a company with over hundreds of people in it. Let's say, for example, there are only 5 people employed in the company and 1000 people requested a copy of the new update - it can a) take a while to process all requests and b) there might be a small chance of human error. The constant bashing from certain users here isn't helping at all...

48. giraffe1

giraffe1

Are you crazy? If he really is getting 1000's requests, no one would be stupid enough to do it manually. A simple script could easily process requests and spit out a link. This is pretty basic stuff for any dev. and Livenda knows it.For example, see; arongranberg.com/astar/download or opsive.com/assets/BehaviorDesigner/samples.php

daville likes this.
  49. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

And what about security? What if the DL link gets out? Livenda doesn't have the infrastructure in place.

Despite that, broken promises are the worst.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  50. iamsam

iamsam

I agree with everyone that creating a web script that checks the invoice number and spits out the link is easy and should be implemented in this case. I have seen a lot of developers do it, recently Tom did this for the Uber shader and it shows the dedication of a very talented developer towards his customers. An excuse of bandwidth or security is very lame in this age of technology and its a shame that Livenda has resorted to such excuses.

All that being said I have to say I purchased it and am very happy with the asset. It DOES WORK :). However the manual and the forum is VERY POOR in terms of helping getting one started. The forum is full of complaints but no help from the developer at all. The usual reply is an update it coming. Instead at least see the problem the customers are facing with the current version, it might just be a small issue which you avoid by making excuses of upcoming updates.

To everyone who is trying to use this asset, the quickest way I found is to use the materials/textures they provide with the examples. If you want to make a simple scene use their wood texture (in examples folder) and you will immediately see it working. Then just make sure to study the material properties and see how they are using the channels. Another quick way to test it is to take your texture in photoshop and just add the alpha channel (black) to it and you will see the results immediately. I too had the black screens which people were complaining about which is why I decided to see their demo scenes and worked with them until I got adjusted to the different properties and was able to get it to work in no time. That being said the reflections require work (mainly on textures) and they do have limitations as stated above. However with a bit of work it is possible to get really good results.

Thanks for the asset and please stop with the excuses, people want it to work and they do not care so much about updates if the current version works. So stop worrying and giving excuses and enjoy the rich feedback this community can provide :).

daville and Licarell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.