Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Candela SSRR V2 Advanced Screen Space PBS Reflections for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattCarr

MattCarr

I don't feel comfortable doing that since the Unity version isn't finished. Candela is currently faster for a similar reflection quality level, but it's apples to oranges at the moment as the Unity version doesn't have the issue I highlighted, it's not finished and it's operating a bit differently as I'll mention below.

While the Candela one might look prettier, I'm not sure it's as accurate as the Unity one in this case. To be fair to Candela though, the Unity implementation is built for 5.2+ which has a separate reflection buffer and it can utilise that to better work the reflections into the pipeline and also properly mix them with the reflection probes. There's no reason Candela can't do this for 5.2 onwards as well so the disparity could go away.

I think the Candela SSRR results can be pretty great which is why I'm interested in these issues being fixed. Like someone mentioned previously, there's often higher quality post processing effects on the Asset Store than what Unity includes and this could potentially be true for this as well. There's a while to fix any issues before Unity's version arrives.

I do think supporting proper mixing with Unity's reflection probes is important though for this in 5.2 onwards (pretty simple to do with HDR buffers: result colour = candela result + Unity's _CameraReflectionsTexture * (SSRR occlusion/intensity) and subtract the original _CameraReflectionsTexture value). I know there's supposedly some separate probe package coming, but it should be fairly trivial to support Unity's probes too.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    chelnok likes this.
  2. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi,

This issue is now fixed with V2.2 together with much improved edge-depth biasing. The fix also provided a little extra performance.

Cheers,
    Michael

CandelaV2_madness_sale.jpg

punk likes this.
  3. overthere

overthere

Well I've done that after having the exact same issue as @MS80 , ver 2 does not work on my AMD card ,same glitchy artifacts in reflections but works on other GPU platforms, and haven't received even an acknowledgement you've got the email.

4. kenshin

kenshin

@LIVENDA
    Hi Michael,
    I am a little bit confuset which is the upcoming version? V2.1 or V2.2?

Any idea about the next release date?

thanks,
    Kenshin

5. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, we had issues with Unity 5.1.1f1 , are you able to update to the latest Unity version? V2.1 fixes what you mention in your e-mail as it does not rely on mipmap convolution, even though this problem with V2 should not be happening as it is related to a bug in Unity.

The upcoming version is V2.1 and we have also mentioned the changes in this forum a few times. Thanks again!

------------------

If V2.1 is not available on the asset store by Friday, anyone with V2 can contact us and we will provide you with a direct download link.

Cheers!

punk and kenshin like this.
  6. overthere

overthere

Hi I've updated to Unity 5.1.2f1 which shows as the latest release for PE customers and the issue is still present. Are you referring to patch releases or to the Beta available to Pro customers?

Do you maintain a list of known issues / compatible versions that I've missed?

7. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Are you on Linear or Gamma mode? Forward or Deferred? Perhaps we can continue this discussion via e-mail as V2.1 fixes this issue and it is related to how unity generates mipmaps, Thanks.

8. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

That is not a fair comparison because you are not comparing to an SSRR effect in the right images? I bet you are using the PlaneReflection, which can be used in Unity 5 and Unity 4 and is a different rendering technique limited to plane surfaces only.

Your images on the left are a limitation of SSRR in general. The exact same thing happens in UE4's implementation.

Examples, notice it suffers the same issues:

9. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Please prove that this is Unity's own implementation as a screen space camera effect.

A thousand times this.

To the others complaining, I have nothing to gain by offering support to Livenda but I don't think it fair to criticize them continually and so harshly. They are still developers, working hard to try and achieve something which Unity so far has been lacking to do. Now with Unity's delay to December for 5.3.

It would be nice if Livenda was more consistant with replies and support but they are trying.

Candella does exactly what it says on the tin, you just have to know how to use it and be aware of the limitations of SSRR. It's not a perfect solution but something. I am happy to use it and highly recommend it. Just be aware of the limitations of the technique.

Mauri, punk and mkgm like this.
  10. punk

punk

I agree, I don't think I've ever read such harsh comments and the fact is it's a fantastic product and the new patches will only make it better

8Infinite8 likes this.
  11. Nyro

Nyro

Not working with Unity Standard Shader for me, tried with all Rendering Paths and Color Spaces and different computers. Unity 5.1.2f1 and Candela SSRR V2 2.0

12. spraw

spraw

I'm not part in any of this, but I think the issue is in the quote. I don't think people are complaining because of the product.

The Product is good, I think most can agree. I believe the real problem is that, from what I know, Candela promised to update their OLD product to Unity 5 and make it usable again, which they did not. Instead they launched a new product, albeit with the same name, and charged for it again(!). Old customers are able to upgrade at a discount, but that's not the point. At the end of the day they still lied to their customers.

Not to mention that with the sale, old customers paid more through the upgrade than new customers do.

Again, I'm not really part of this, I bought the product before the sale, it does what it says it does, but the business practices are indeed quite shady. Sadly I did not check this thread before I bought, I did not know of Livenda's past. If I had known, I don't know if I would have bought, but probably not.

TL;DR: Product is good, but when will Livenda decide to ditch it, launch a new product and charge for it again?

overthere and MS80 like this.
  13. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Perhaps provide a sample scene to Livenda. I can confirm it works here on Unity 5.1.2p2. Deferred in settings and in Camera settings. Standard PBR Shader.

14. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

That's the first time I've read someone speak about that. Not ideal but hardly shady. Email Livenda about it. I bought V1 and paid again for V2, full price. To be honest I don't care, as long as I can get the results I need and I can.

"I believe the real problem is that, from what I know, Candela promised to update their OLD product to Unity 5 and make it usable again, which they did not. Instead they launched a new product"

Where/when did they say this? Quote? If so that's not good.

15. Nyro

Nyro

The Rendering Path on my camera settings was wrong. Fixed it. Thx

16. elbows

elbows

If the new patches arrive. People don't post harsh comments randomly, there are reasons why. Anyone can study the history and draw their own conclusions, I'm not going to repeat any of it or add to it again, just look for yourselves in the thread for the last version of their product.

If people are happy then good, please do say so. But don't start complaining about those who complain, they have their reasons and those who didn't walk in their shoes should consider at least studying the history before trying to invalidate such criticisms.

17. elbows

elbows

Maybe thats an issue but the original ill-feeling and criticisms built up over a much longer period of time, often in relation to numerous promises about updates that had a tendency to be made during discount sales of this product, and were seldom met with actual updates within a reasonable period of time. You can't lie to customers and expect your forum threads will remain overwhelmingly positive.

18. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

I have studied that thread and it's a train wreck. I even bought V1 and wasn't happy with it but I didn't throw my toys out of the pram (repeatedly!) I was aware of the limitations of Unity 4 and the SSRR technique.. Patience helps. I just can't understand the constant moaning and vitriol in peoples posts, as if Livenda robbed them blind or something.

U5 is here. Candella V2 is here and it addresses a lot of the previous issue.

19. elbows

elbows

But if you strip all of the unfair stuff out of that thread theres still plenty of legitimate criticism and really infuriating situations that dragged on for unacceptably long periods of time. And it happened too much, without apology, to give any faith that such patterns won't reoccur.

20. elbows

elbows

And to be fair, the reason it was so frustrating is because it is otherwise a very good product. So in a way the heat is a compliment, few would get their knickers in a twist waiting for updates if it wasn't something worth waiting for.

overthere likes this.
  21. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Like I say. I don't care, they've addressed the problems and it works.

Also as others have stated, sooner or later a built in version will appear or another product on the asset store will appear. Loyalty to applications and plugins should always be open. New things appear, workflows change. Developing on the edge costs money, simple as that.

For example if UE4 had a decent skin shader, I would jump ship tomorrow.

Aye. I'm with you on that. I've been waiting and waiting for V2.1. Much like I did for V2 and it was and will be, worth the wait :)

22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It looks like Unity's solution doesn't sample the buffer in hdr? (or it's running after tonemapping?). Hopefully tthat will not be the case with the final product.

23. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

We've yet to establish if that was actually Unity's own SSRR implementation.. Although I hope it is.

24. MS80

MS80

I have tested it with 5.1.2p2 and 5.1.2p3 (Win7 64bit) but the issue is the same => faulty reflection (on AMD gpu!?)
    There is still hope for Candela 2.1 when it finally arrives...

I think the best approach is to discuss it here in the forums as there are other customers with the same issue!

daville and overthere like this.
  25. iamsam

iamsam

I was wondering if someone could clarify a few doubts I have (I want to know whats behind the issue I am seeing in these pictures).

Can anyone help explain why we see such discrepancies (they both seem to be flat surfaces)?

I agree with most of the posts here that they need to be more transparent about their product, especially with regards to the pricing. They did say that an update was coming when Unity 5 was going to be released, however they did not mention that it would be an upgrade which is a very big omission on their part as they just left everyone in limbo for a while. One thing that seems to repeat with their product is the updates, whenever there is certain feature not working they say an update is coming, which takes a while before it arrives. I think if you want people to trust and work with you, just come out and say that you are working on it so that we too can look for other solutions (some of which may actually help you).

26. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

I will be certainly taking you up on that offer!

iamsam, what you see there are limitations of the technique not Candella itself. See ANY UE4 demo or video and you will notice the same artifacts.

27. iamsam

iamsam

@8Infinite8 thanks for the reply, I think I will purchase it and hope for the best.

28. MattCarr

MattCarr

You are mistaken. It's obviously not some type of separate camera based plane reflection technique as that wouldn't have the SSRR occlusion issue which is in the Unity version shot. The Candela issue is not a limitation of SSRR, you are incorrect about that (which should be obvious as Livenda has said the problem will be fixed in 2.2). The only limitation of SSRR is that it can obviously only reflect visible screen pixels that are in the rendered buffer. The issue I highlighted is not related to that and is a bug/current implementation limitation that is not common to other SSRR implementations. There is no reason that using the correct reasoning in the algorithm the plane should not be able to properly reflect everything except the pixels the sphere is actually occluding. I'm sure Livenda can/will fix this quite easily as they have suggested they have for 2.2.

The screenshots you posted from UE4 do not show the same problem at all, I think you must have misinterpreted the problem I highlighted.

I find it a little odd that you're telling people that things they are pointing out and asking about are limitations of the technique when I suspect you don't fully understand the technique and its limitations.

EDIT: Just because I don't want to keep talking about this as I posted about the issue and Livenda said they'd fix it so it's all done with as far as I'm concerned; I just put together the same shot in UE4 to show it does not have the same issue in case you didn't believe me. Although it does do some other weird stuff with that left sphere where it seems like it's trying to use surrounding known pixel information to fill that left sphere's occluded area (that sphere is closer to the camera than the rest of the scene and therefore should not be reflected) which probably looks ok-ish if the reflection is more uniform and not a distinct pattern like I put on that wall. They probably decided that's better than leaving it blank which is probably true more often than not.
    ss (2015-08-13 at 03.57.54).png

I wouldn't try to draw conclusions like that from a screenshot when you don't know the properties of the surface. I'm quite confident in Unity's SSRR implementation will be physically correct in relation to the rest of their PBR pipeline.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  29. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

The issue mentioned is not only Fixed with V2.2, the upcoming new features & additions is going to blow all other SSR implementations (on any engine) out of the water and we are very confident of this. Hint: After V2.2 you 'probably' don't need to use reflection probes.. ever, stay tuned.

Cheers,
    Michael

eskovas and John-G like this.
  30. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

@LIVENDA can you explain what features work on mobile ? as we cannot use linear lighting on mobile is there some features not usable?

31. John-G

John-G

The countdown on your site has me intrigued..
    Will pick this up next week when the pay cheque comes in :)

32. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

I'm not mistaken. What you posted is not a good comparison.

In your new example move the sphere down, closer to the plane, just like in the original image examples.

You can see clearly in the pictures I posted that UE4 has the same artifacts.

There are bunch of videos out there showing off the power of UE4, including the work by Koola and you can see the same issues with UE4's SSRR Implementation, if you know where to look..

SSRR cannot re-calculate and re-orgnaize the depth, which is why closer objects override further objects. There is no way to mask, cull and re-render.

33. eskovas

eskovas

I agree with a few people here that there should be a list of limitations of SSRR implementations (which is not specific to this one, but all of them.

I for one couldn't pass the opportunity of the sale :p, seeing that the asset has a better direction now and the dev is more responsive. Hoping it stays this way for the future.

Anyway, i definitely think the limitations of SSRR should be available to anyone who is interested in buying the asset, because an informed costumer is a happy costumer :D

So, here it is. The effect itself is great in quality and performance, and i'm very happy with the result i'm getting.

Yesterday i made a screenshot of some effects i was testing:
    screenshot.png
    The reflections are Candela SSRR.

So here are the limitations i've found:

1- When you rotate the camera up and down, you can clearly see that the left and right side of the reflections(mostly right as seen in the image below) get cut off as you would expect in a screen-space effect.
    1.jpg
    2- Same applies for the top part of the screen when the camera is looking down:
    2a.jpg

This is why using reflection probes is practically mandatory while using any SSRR.

[Edit]
    Just another example, in this image the effect is perfect because the camera is well placed, but if you rotated the camera down, so the top part of the screen is on the bottom of that wall, then you would see no reflections (as you would expect from SSRR)

Another reason why you should also use reflection probes with ssrr.
    [/Edit]

One thing that i have no idea why it's included is sky reflections. Yes it's nice to have that option, but in a game where you rotate the camera is so many ways, using SSRR sky reflections is absurd.
    As this is a screen-space effect, the sky simply gets cut-off where the top part of the screen stops (Left image), which in movement looks really bad. Which is why i disabled it and simply used a reflection probe (right image)
    3a.jpg
    Although using a reflection probe looks worst and updating it for a dynamic sky can be expensive.

3- Last limitation (maybe it's fixed in the next version) is that some objects will occlude parts of the reflection that shouldn't be occluded:
    3b.jpg
    You can clearly see that those pixels ARE on the screen, but they aren't shown in the reflection.

To conclude, i really think Livenda should have a section where they explain the limitations of SSRR, so you don't see any angry costumers returning and saying it doesn't work :)

( sorry for long post :p )

hmm, when you make that statement, are you saying the effect will capture reflections outside of the screen-space area? i'm intrigued :D

Here we go with the hype again :D Betting on SpectraGI, but let's wait and see.

iamsam and hopeful like this.
  34. MattCarr

MattCarr

There is no need to recalculate or reorganize depth, that has nothing to do with the problem. Again, Livenda has said he's fixing/fixed it so this will be the last time I respond on the subject, but let me try to illustrate for you the issue so you understand. I'll go into a bit of detail about how SSRR works that you might already know just so I can pinpoint where I think you're misunderstanding.

We'll focus on the left sphere in all the images I posted. It is fairly close to the camera and not above the ground plane that we're looking at the reflection of. Below you can see the UE4 shot from side on and you can see from the scene view in my Unity shots that this is also the case.
    SSRR.jpg

This sphere renders closer to the camera and occludes a circle of pixels on the wall. The SSRR image effect looks at the render buffer that contains the world space normal vectors of each pixel on the screen. For the ground plane, this normal is (0,1,0) in world space as there is no normal map and it's flat and orientated as you can see. For each pixel, the effect gets a reflection vector using the view direction to the pixel from the camera and reflecting that by the pixel normal. Now you have the pixel position and the reflection vector and some user defined reflection distance limit and can perform what's known as ray marching in the shader against the depth buffer.

The way this works is to perform some number of depth buffer lookups along the ray. What you're doing here is stepping along along the ray, getting the screen space position of that point on the ray and getting the depth value of that point from the depth buffer. What you're looking for is a pixel that this ray is intersecting and you can have found that when a depth value is within some acceptable range of that ray point. This is usually done as a binary search for performance, but it's easier to imagine stepping along the ray from the start point to end point at some set interval distance.

In the above image you can see my mock up of where the reflection vector ray is intersecting the wall and that's the pixel we'll reflect. Now go back and look at my comparison of the Candela and Unity SSRR effects in my initial post noting the position of the sphere. What you can see appears to be happening in the Candela version is that the pixels on the ground under the left sphere (in screen space, not world space) that should be reflecting the wall pixels above the sphere appear instead to be occluded, but we know they are not because, well, we can see them.

Think about one of the pixels lower down in the image that should be reflecting a pixel higher on the wall (e.g. what is happening in the Unity image). So thinking about how the shader steps along the ray, imagine now that what's happening is that we're moving along this ray and we come across the depth of the sphere which is significantly less than the depth of the ray point. What I'd suggest is happening in the Candela version, is that we're saying "alright, we've hit something less than our ray position and it's got a depth much less than what we're after so I guess this pixel's reflection is occluded, lets stop looking" (although it could be a different issue but it doesn't really matter). But there's no reason to stop looking, we know that if we continued stepping along the ray we would actually hit the wall with our reflection ray and find the actual pixel to reflect on that ground pixel. This is what is happening in both the Unity and UE4 examples I provided.

If you step along a reflection vector and never find a pixel intersecting the ray then that pixel's reflection is occluded (or beyond the distance limit of the ray march). That's what happens with those pixels directly behind the sphere in screen space. If you step along the reflection vector and it goes outside the screen space without intersecting something then whatever that pixel should be reflecting is off screen. Those are basically the 2 fail conditions of SSRR. I honestly don't know what you think you're referring to with your UE4 shots, but it's going to be one of those 2 things. What I posted is not one of those 2 things. Livenda agrees this is a bug and is fixing it.

If my explanation wasn't understandable enough I am sorry, but I assure you I know what I'm talking about and that I'm correct. If this post, my 2 other SSRR (Unity/UE4) examples showing it working correctly and Livenda acknowledging the issue and saying that he's fixed/fixing it for version 2.2 is not evidence that I am right, I'm sure he would also explicitly agree that it is not a limitation of SSRR if he were instead not going to tell me to stop posting giant posts in this thread and go away.

I'm happy to detail and discuss this further via PM if you still need convincing. I apologise to Livenda for such a large post in your thread, but I think it's important that people understand the effect correctly.

35. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

tl;dr

Where did they? If so, Epic should hire Livenda!!

LIVENDA likes this.
  36. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

So apparently, according to Aieth. Unity 5.2 has solved it. I look forward to seeing it in action, you lucky privileged Beta testers you :)

37. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks for the quick breakdown, let me try to get back regarding the limitations you have pointed out which are 100% true for general SSRR not just Candela as you have pointed out ... But,

We are extremely excited to announce

Limitation 1)
    Solved with V2.2 ! This is a major game changer for SSR
    Limitation 2) Solved with V2.2 ! same limitation as 1
    Limitation 3) Solved with V2.2 !

As with the first limitation you have pointed the answer is Yes! Reflections will NO longer be limited to what is seen by the cam. This is a Big game changer for this type of effect. Also, the counter on our website for the 1st of September announcement, the 'hype' you mention has nothing to do with SpectraGI, it is much more important and relevant then GI, stay tuned...

Big thanks for clarifying the basic principal of what is happening with general SSRR implementations. You are 100% correct and this is now also 100% fixed with V2.2 and we believe in a manner a little better then others out there, thanks again.

Thanks again for your great support and help! What MattCarr is referring to is correct and has been fixed with V2.2 together with other Game changing NEW features for SSR (NO MORE LIMITED TO WHAT IS SEEN BY THE CAM :)). I think what you are showing with UE4 is also correct however that is a slightly different issue which has to do with what is called 'Depth shadowing' and Bias blending , which are still inherent with almost all SSR implementations. They can be improved however, performance is king at this stage and not really worth it for almost all 'real-world' game environments. We are experimenting with advanced Depth peeling and re-usable ray casting techniques to address these shortcomings for future version. They are not as relevant and important as the new V2.2 features! Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Michael

punk, John-G and eskovas like this.
  38. MattCarr

MattCarr

Thanks, we Aussies need to stick together ;). I thought I'd wasted my time and I mentally sighed when I saw the "tl;dr" :).

I look forward to seeing what you've come up with for off screen reflections.

LIVENDA likes this.
  39. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Really looking forward to it! :)

LIVENDA likes this.
  40. eskovas

eskovas

That's awesome to hear :)
    Looking forward to it!

LIVENDA likes this.
  41. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks, so are we:)

Thanks again.

Also on another relevant note, as we are down under in Australia, the time frame difference in relation to most of our users is significant so please keep this is mind when you post a question, we try to get back as quick as possible:)

Cheers
    Michael

42. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Well, I'm confident Unity's solution will be good eventually, but from that image, it really does look like it's not sampling in HDR. Those are overblown colors. An overblown blue(which appears white)*0.5(amount reflected) should equal some sort of blue color, while it appears Unity sampled it as white, which makes it equal to gray.

But again, as I said, it's way too early to judge Unity's implementation, I'm just saying how that image looks to be.

On a sidenote, how do you get access to the SSR? I don't believe it's included in the 5.2 betas I have access to (since it was pushed back to 5.3)

43. MS80

MS80

I am very excited!

You promised us "off screen reflections" for Candela1 more than one time, but this feature as others disappeard, we never saw it realised!

"Off screen reflection" was one of the most wanted features on my side! If it really comes now, with v2.2, it would indeed turn Candela2 into a unique outstanding SSR solution! I can't wait to play with 2.2!

44. Kronnect

Kronnect

So, what's the difference from Unreal Reflections and Candela V2.2?

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Livenda... is there a work around for using Candela on shaders that are forced to forward such as skin shaders?

46. iamsam

iamsam

@eskovas Thanks a lot for taking the time and posting the comments, it was exactly what I was looking for :).

LIVENDA likes this.
  47. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

We are very excited to confirm that V2.2 for the first time in SSR provides off screen reflections at extremely high performance levels with great quality. This is a game changer as it almost provides full blown global reflections at SSR performance.

Unreal Reflections is the next generation dynamic 'pixel accurate' probe reflection system for Unity 5 & on-wards, which is engineered to work with the latest Candela SSR version.

In forward mode and 'legacy' deferred, as long as the shader is writing to the specular (or specular alpha) then it should work with no issues. In the new Deferred Rendering pipeline, the shader needs to write in to the appropriate buffer as usual.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Livenda Labs

48. papibeast

papibeast

Hey! looking to maybe buy this asset during the madness sale,
    can anyone post a screenshot of the off screen reflection working?
    Thanks!

49. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Off screen reflection isn't available in the current version.

50. MS80

MS80

Sounds great!

The asset store still holds V2.0, I contacted support@livenda.com to get a direct download for 2.1!
    Btw, if V2.2 is already ready you can send me this link, too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.