Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Broccoli Tree Creator (procedural vegetation assets)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by maldewar, Jul 19, 2018.

1. maldewar

maldewar

Hi everyone,

I would like to show you this editor extension for Unity.
    http://u3d.as/1emq

It's a procedural vegetation generator/modeler to create highly customized/randomized vegetation assets. The package offers a catalog of pre-made pipelines (vegetation instructions) to begin with, so that you can start generating assets right the way without the need to dive into specifics.

Features:
    Two structure generators to select from (one similar to Unity's Tree Creator and a Lindenmayer system based one).
    Sprout modes: plane, cross, tricross, planeX, billboard and mesh.
    Sprout groups: to set leaf mesh modes and mapping (material or texture based).
    Modifiers for length, girth, branch sparse, twirl and bend points.
    WindZone component support.
    LODs (optional with two levels).
    Prefab creation with texture atlas creation.
    Controls for texture areas, mapping options and custom materials on branches and sprouts.
    Persistence system (save, load, share) your tree pipeline.
    Catalog with pre-made tree pipelines (so you get trees ready out of the box and pipelines to work with).
    Global scaling for the final tree (to adapt to your game proportions).
    Documentation and source code with comments.

I hope this tool will help you making beautiful natural environments !

Thanks!

2. brisingre

brisingre

Wow, I've been waiting for something like this for years! Can't wait to download & play around a bit.

3. brisingre

brisingre

I'm having a great time, this is very cool.

I have found some bugs though. To be expected in something that's only been in the wild one day, obviously. Is there, like, a slack or a discord or some other place I should make bug reports? Or is this forum thread the best way?

upload_2018-7-19_7-35-23.png

Pictured: a missing prefab in the example scene, a bug with setting a custom material that has broken the material of the preview, and some exceptions.

maldewar likes this.
  4. maldewar

maldewar

Hi Brisingre!
    Thanks for supporting the product! I've just created a discord server for general discussion and bug hunting.
    https://discord.gg/Hpa4sDa

If there are messages about missing references it is probably due to the factory destroying the preview tree game object (sometimes when going to play state). In the "advanced options" the "Regenerate Preview" button should restore this object without generating a new randomization of it. This is a case where the factory should take care itself of restoring the object, I'll fix this for the next release.
    I'll still need to see what's the matter with the missing assigned material.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    brisingre likes this.
  5. maldewar

maldewar

Update [Aug 05, 2018]
    Hi folks!!
    I've been working on the runtime API to let Broccoli generate its trees while on play mode/player build. I'm releasing this feature as experimental, mostly because I feel there are still a lot of aspects to improve on the dynamic mesh generation and these runtime products lack some of the optimization options only prefabs can have (like mesh baking, instance rendering, etc). This should be available as soon as the Asset Store team approves this update.
    So, here is the demo scene for the runtime API :)

Adamlyu and HXCMAN like this.
  6. Macode

Macode

Hi, I want to purchase Broccoli Tree Creator
    Could you tell if this is possible with your plugin?
    Can I achieve the result from video with it?
    And would it be possible to control the grow progress manually, like from mouse click count?

Juexe likes this.
  7. maldewar

maldewar

Sorry Macode, it is not possible at the time with the built-in features. Getting sometimes like this, right now, would require modifying some of the extension functions on your side.

8. Arycama

Arycama

It would be awesome if you could implement some kind of geomorphing, so that lod levels can be smoothly transitioned between without having to draw both lods at the same time with crossfading.

9. whisp

whisp

Hi!

Just bought and installed Broccoli Tree Creator. It doesn't work - lots of exceptions are thrown concerning Node, NodeCanvas, NodeEditorState etc.. As if this Node*classes would miss.

After looking closer into it, it turns out to be an incompatibility with the Megasplat asset. Here something really strange happens, when installing Broccoli Tree Creator: Many classes within the Megasplat folders get replaced by files of Broccoli, e.g. the NodeCanvas script and many others node related. What's strange, even though the files from Broccoli (with the Broccoli namespaces) are there (in a Megasplat Editor folder), the classes (and namespaces) are not found from within the Broccoli scripts that would need them. Also, after uninstalling Broccoli Tree Creator, Megasplat starts throwing lots of exceptions instead, due to missing classes and namespaces (since the Megasplat Nodeclasses which originally are within the megasplat namespaces have been replaced with the broccoli files.)

It can be reproduced. Reainstalling both, Megasplat and then the Tree Creator, cause the same file chaos again.

Any way to work around this?

whisp

Edit:
    Importing the Asset in within a new project and then dragging the folder to the actual project works. The file chaos only happens when importing the package.

Edit2: Even though it compiles now, it still doesn't work. When opening the Tree Editor, an console error displays: Node Editor: Not installed in default directory...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  10. maldewar

maldewar

Hi Whisp!
    Let me look into this... indeed the extension has its own folder and namespace for classes. Can you tell me which version of Unity are you using??

11. whisp

whisp

Hi maldewar!
    I'm using Unity 2018.3.9f1

12. maldewar

maldewar

Hey! I've found a quick fix...
    Turns out that Simple Node Framework sets the path to the editor folder (when a default is not found) by calling the AssetDatabase utility and looking for framework related specific classes:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string[] assets = UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.FindAssets ("NodeEditorCallbackReceiver"); // Something relatively unique
    It tries twice to locate the path, first by looking for "NodeEditorCallbackReceiver", then for "ConnectionTypes" classes. If Megasplat is using Simple Node Framework or have classes with those names, then Broccoli will try to use the path related to those files as the default editor path, causing the wreckage...
    Fortunately Simple Node Framework uses a default editor path before trying to locate the path calling the AssetDatabase. As a quick fix you'll need to edit the script at /Assets/Waldemarst/Broccoli/Node_Editor/Node_Editor/Framework/NodeEditor.cs (or relative to the new location) and set the variable:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static string editorPath = "Assets/Plugins/Node_Editor/";
    to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static string editorPath = "Assets/Waldemarst/Broccoli/Node_Editor/Node_Editor/";
    (or the new path for the extension).
    This should solve the "Node Editor: Not installed in default directory..." error.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm issuing an update to set the default editor path to reflect the extension's and then for the lookup method to use even more particular class names (something using the Brocco prefix).

13. whisp

whisp

Thank you maldewar, now it works!

14. Feartheway

Feartheway

I just bought this and running it in 2019.3.9 it is refusing to render the leaves / petals the billboard shows grey squares if i zoom out. Any idea whats going wrong? I am using the flower catalog example chrysanthemum. The bark / branches render okay.

upload_2020-4-22_22-35-34.png

15. maldewar

maldewar

Thanks! I'll look into this issue as soon as possible!

16. maldewar

maldewar

I've found that generating a prefab while in preview mode (colored materials for leaves and branches, asset on the right) outputs grey pixels to the render that generates the billboard texture (asset on the middle). Generating the prefab on textured preview mode renders the billboard texture as expected (asset on the left). I need to fix this by not using the preview material when rendering to the billboard texture. In the meantime I would ask you to generate the final prefab using textured mode; please let me know if this describes/solves your issue.
    brocco02.png

17. Feartheway

Feartheway

when i try to generate a tree using a load from catalog i seem to not generate or render the leaves?
    am i doing something wrong? i tried changing the shader of the sprouts but still nothing?

upload_2020-5-19_9-15-38.png

18. Feartheway

Feartheway

this is what is happening when i run it. upload_2020-5-19_9-44-21.png

19. algic

algic

Hi,maldewar,great work.
    I am searching a way to to control the tree grow progress at runtime,like the video above.Is it possible now?
    I want to control the growth speed and at some situation the tree will die.
    At runtime,how many aspects I can control the tree,like leaves?

20. maldewar

maldewar

Hi @algic ! Thanks!
    Broccoli does not provide a way to go trough animated steps to grow a tree. The runtime demo actually creates full grown trees and just scales them on their position. You can control almost every aspect of the tree, but you end up creating a new mesh every time changes are commited and processed.

21. Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Hey there. I ran across this asset while looking for generators that provide a bit more control over the generation process than Mtree does, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I bite the bullet. Is it possible to make trees with exposed root systems, like mangrove trees, using "branches" that extend down from the lowest point of the trunk? And, is it possible to make trees like the ones in this screenshot?

kemo trees.png
    I've tried to get this result (with the branches, at least; I know the leaf canopies will be their own challenge) in both Mtree and the built-in tree creator, but Mtree just doesn't provide enough granularity to control the branch shapes and directions, and Unity's tree creator is kind of frustrating to use with URP since none of the shaders are compatible.

Thanks!

22. maldewar

maldewar

Hi! @Alahmnat !
    I've created a pipeline to generate trees similar to the ones shown at the screenshot. The leaf canopy is not generated with broccoli, but modeled with blender; then, the mesh is placed as a "mesh sprout" at the tip of the terminal branches. As for control of the branches: there is a structure node to generate branches pointing outwards followed by another one that points upwards; then later, the "branch bender" node smooths the transitions between branches, pulls them upwards a little bit and adds some minor Perlin noise. The granularity to control branches comes with the tree branch structure, here you can select how the branches are positioned and their direction relative to their parent branch, the horizontal plane or the gravity vector. You can also modify every branch using its bezier curve (position and curvature), but this makes that particular branch "locked", so that its shape is preserved on every new randomized generation (shown at the end of the gif).

Broccoli does not provide functionality to add roots to the mesh. Although the branch implementation could be employed to serve this purpose in the future, right now by default a "branch structure node" begins to add branches at the top of a parent branch. I've tried to add some branches by limiting the range of the branches spawn at the base of the main trunk and that seems to do the trick, but I'll catalog this as a "hack" and not as a feature (because these roots don't integrate that well to the base of the tree). So, roots is something I have plans for in future releases, certainly doable with some minor changes to the code. Then, here is the tree with some branches posing as roots:

Finally, Broccoli does not come with custom shaders, you must select one option given that your Unity version comes with them (Tree Creator, SpeedTree7, SpeedTree8) OR specify to the tree factory which compatible custom shader is going to be used. The URP versions of the SpeedTree shaders have no ambient light, so using a patched version of the SRP package is suggested with instructions at the documentation to get this feature.

Hope this helps!

TheEkinnox and wetcircuit like this.
  23. Alahmnat

Alahmnat

Thanks for the detailed reply. It looks like this will fit my needs really well, and I'll look forward to better roots in the future! :)

maldewar likes this.
  24. DriftsandGames12

DriftsandGames12

Hello this pack looks great and would be a perfect fit for my game, however I am getting pink trees and am using universal render pipeline, from what I know this is what is causing the issue but I dont know how to fix it, Ive upgraded the materials in edit -> render pipeline, however they are still pink, if anyone knows how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated thanks!

25. maldewar

maldewar

Hello!! Are you using the Broccoli Tree Creator Extension or the Japanese Garden Pack??

26. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @maldewar

Been on the hunt for a tree modeler. Have questions on Broccoli. Am aiming for more realistic than stylized trees. Also to make environments for that Asset Store.

- Can you create detailed, more realistic trees with Broccoli if the time is spent on a tree with good materials, assets and shaders? Or is it mostly designed for stylized assets?

- Okay to sell trees exported from Broccoli if using my own materials, shaders?

Technical questions

- Think I saw custom mesh branches as an option but can I use multiple custom meshes for leaf branches on a single tree?

- Is there an option for min/max distance down the branch to grow leaves? Problem I have with mTree is the branches grow off the tip of a branch and there is no way to have them only grow a certain distance down the branch in case it is a larger branch.

- Not sure if you rather PM message this but what is used for bending? Vertex colors + UV or just Vertex Colors? Also is there an option for just Vertex Colors if it is both?

- Plants, grass possible with Broccoli?

- LODs and Billboard doable with Broccoli? Billboard textures captured automatically?

- More of a request but generation from a scanned mesh(trunk model). That is the dream.

Sorry for so many questions. Thank you for your time!

27. maldewar

maldewar

Been on the hunt for a tree modeler. Have questions on Broccoli. Am aiming for more realistic than stylized trees. Also to make environments for that Asset Store.

- Can you create detailed, more realistic trees with Broccoli if the time is spent on a tree with good materials, assets and shaders? Or is it mostly designed for stylized assets?
    The user has freedom to use customized meshes (for leaves), textures, materials and shaders. Most of the time how good a tree looks depends mainly on these three aspects. I haven't been aiming at photorealism, but it is possible by using better shaders (currently the extension supports mapping for SpeedTree 7/8 and Unity TreeCreator).
    - Okay to sell trees exported from Broccoli if using my own materials, shaders?
    Yes, you can sell the models you create with Broccoli Tree Creator as long as you give credit to the extension.

Technical questions
    - Think I saw custom mesh branches as an option but can I use multiple custom meshes for leaf branches on a single tree?
    Yes, a Sprout Group spawns locations along the tree branches, multiple sprout groups (up to 10) can be configured having independent distribution patterns. Every sprout group could be configured to produce mesh data from predefined modes (plane, cross, tricross, grid) or to use custom meshes.
    - Is there an option for min/max distance down the branch to grow leaves? Problem I have with mTree is the branches grow off the tip of a branch and there is no way to have them only grow a certain distance down the branch in case it is a larger branch.
    There are option to begin spawning sprouts from the tip of the branches or the trunk of the tree. The structure generator and sprout generator nodes can set the range to grow children branches and leaves.

- Not sure if you rather PM message this but what is used for bending? Vertex colors + UV or just Vertex Colors? Also is there an option for just Vertex Colors if it is both?
    Depends, there are three shaders settings (the ones built-in with Unity):
    1. Tree Creator: you may refer to this post to see how the UVs and vertex colors are set to be complaint with Unity's Tree Creator (https://connect.unity.com/p/deconstructing-unity-trees-for-wind-zone-dynamics).
    2. 3. Speed Tree 7 / 8: I haven't written a port about how SpeedTree handles vertex data, but they use mostly mapping from UV0 to UV4.

- Plants, grass possible with Broccoli?
    Plants are possible, the treatment is the same as with trees, just use a less complex node structure and have a lower mesh resolution settings. There are some examples at the catalog. Broccoli does not provide tools to create grass though.

- LODs and Billboard doable with Broccoli? Billboard textures captured automatically?
    There are 2 mesh LOD levels + 1 Billboard (created automatically using the SpeedTree Billboard shader).

- More of a request but generation from a scanned mesh(trunk model). That is the dream.
    You mean generate the mesh trunk from a custom mesh?? (Broccoli does not provide a method to handle this).

Sorry for so many questions. Thank you for your time!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  28. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Great! Thank you for all the info @maldewar!

Yes, did not expect it to be a feature but mostly a request for the future ;). Not even sure how it would be possible in engine to do though.

29. MallNinjaMax

MallNinjaMax

Can I spawn leaves on the trunk? Fronds? I need to make super low poly trees.

30. maldewar

maldewar

Yes, you can select where sprouts are spawned from the level structure hierarchy. Here I am spawning a single tricube frond at the base of the tree trunk on the central tree (that mesh has 335 tris).

Screenshot from 2021-03-10 18-49-54.png

Lars-Steenhoff and MallNinjaMax like this.
  31. tchapman_bsis

tchapman_bsis

I'm having the same issue here after converting materials; using the japanese garden pack.

32. DGordon

DGordon

Does this work out-of-the-box for hdrp 2020 LTS?

33. adamgolden

adamgolden

I'm not sure about HDRP, but it seems it does for URP 12 in 2021.2.0a17 (aside from initially needing to switch the shaders in the materials to their URP equivalent). I haven't looked into the ambient light thing about URP noted in an earlier thread yet. Where functionality is concerned, the runtime generation example works, the editor appears to be working, prefab generation is working. No errors in the console.

34. adamgolden

adamgolden

I've confirmed this is working with the new SpeedTree 8 Shader Graph!
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi.../Shaders/Nature/SpeedTree8_PBRLit.shadergraph

A few tips based on my experience with getting the above integrated.. when you first add it to your project, open it and change the default for "enableExtraMap" to be unchecked if you're not going to use that feature, otherwise it makes everything black or at least it did for me. Also if the bark or leaves are way too bright or dark for the lighting, look at Metallic and Smoothness properties first.. once I tweaked those I had Broccoli trees looking just as advertised :)

maldewar likes this.
  35. adamgolden

adamgolden

Noticed today's update - great to see continuing development and the addition of the YALPT pack pipelines.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  36. maldewar

maldewar

Thanks! It makes sense to make it available to people who acquired Broccoli already. ;)

Baldinoboy and adamgolden like this.
  37. Coyroski

Coyroski

Hello, I just bought the tool, however all the trees in the sample scene/package are all showing pink. How do I fix this?

I am using 2020.3.16f with HDRP.

38. maldewar

maldewar

Hi!
    The example scenes have the trees build with the default render pipeline. If you are using URP or HDRP, then you need to regenerate the trees from the Broccolit Tree Factory object. This way Broccoli will detect your render pipeline flavour and create the materials accordingly.

39. hncarlos

hncarlos

Really interesting tool! I'm looking for a way to create chinese trees and flowers.

i never worked with speedtree or any other vegetation system so forgive if this is a dumb question, but can i make more detailed trees? like trees with flowers and/or fruits? and how about structures like bamboo trees?

thanks!!

40. merry_decoy

merry_decoy

Hi there! I am loving all the features of broccoli tree it looks great in the preview, but when I create a prefab and pull it into my scene there are no leaves, the branches are all there and correct. I am newer to Unity. I am working in Unity 2021.2.1 and HDRP.

41. maldewar

maldewar

Hi! If you could reach me at Discord, so you can share some screenshots to let me better see what is going.

merry_decoy likes this.
  42. merry_decoy

merry_decoy

Thank you I will do this now

43. Barretticus

Barretticus

Hey there Maldewar,
    I love look of the free Japanese garden Pack but I'm running into compiler issues. Over 200 compiler errors appear on Import of the package.

They all look to be something like this:

Assets/Waldemarst_/Broccoli/Pipe/Elements/SproutGeneratorElement.cs(132,15): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SproutSeed' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Waldemarst_/Broccoli/Pipe/Elements/StructureGeneratorElement.cs(100,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'StructureGenerator' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

There is one reviewer on the asset page with the same issue.

I'm new to Unity, using version 2021.3.2f1. What am I not understanding?
    Thanks!

44. Quiznos323

Quiznos323

Hi, it seems like when I try to change values in the Trunk Mesh Generator, nothing is happening. I disabled the node as well and also saw no change to the tree. Do I need to apply the settings somehow to see the effects? I also can't find the trunk twirl option in the Trunk Mesh Generator, as seen in the documentation. Does that setting still exist?

I am on Unity version 2021.3.0f1 (URP).

Thanks!

45. maldewar

maldewar

Hi! An update to fix the Trunk Mesh Generator has already been submitted to the Asset Store (just awaiting approval). The trunk features should be all functional in version 1.5.8.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm using Unity 2022.2.0f1 and HDRP.
    I took some trees from the catalog and they all glow pink. How can I fix this?
    EDIT: I fixed this. There was no diffusion profile assigned to the materials.

trees.png

Is it possible to set an default folder for the created prefabs and the automatically created textures folder?
    I haven't found such an option yet.

Also, why do the trees move in the wind only when I manually place them but not when I place them via the terrain tool?

And is there a way to set the origin of the prefab to the bottom instead to the center of the tree?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2022
  47. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

These are some very nice looking trees here. A bit disappointed about the lack of support for custom shaders (I use Amplify Shader Editor), but it looks like I could use this in my project in the future.

My main reason for wanting to use a custom shader is for more creative control of things like leaf colour variation, tesselation, and POM. If there's a way to export the trees, I could create realistic tree textures. Thinking of using a second UV set to handle individual leaf coloring

48. mr_president

mr_president

Is it possible to export/convert the finalized .asset models into a general 3d application editable format, like fbx?

If I reduce leaf geometry for lower LODs to save triangles it changes the silhouettes too much, and I'd like more freedom to detach the leaves from branches and move them around in a way that more resembles the higher LODs, and perhaps delete small branches entirely.

KRGraphics likes this.
  49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That would be awesome

50. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey @mr_president & @KRGraphics, I am not sure if Broccoli has a built in method for this but you can ask on the discord as the dev is active on it. It is quite expensive but I use FBX Exporter for Unity to export assets from Unity. It works pretty well and even exports vertex colors and UV maps. Just need to make sure the model is readable and you would need to check with the Broccoli if you can do this with the trees from it.