Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Windows Media

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jul 4, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Mason84,

The plugin can load videos from 2 places: files on disk and memory.

For your build if you create the folder "Assets/Resources" and copy your videos in there, then your EXE build should be able to find the videos.

You could also consider placing assets into the StreamingAssets folder. See notes here:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/StreamingAssets.html

If you want to instead embed videos into the unity resources archive, you can rename them to .bytes and load them via the Resources class as a TextAsset and then using the loading from memory. This is a more complex route though and not suitable for large files.

Hope that helps,

2. raybarrera

raybarrera

I'm using the latest version of AV Pro Windows Media, and I'm running into an issue when I build.

I have a few moves in my scene,which all load and work perfectly fine in the edtior, but when I build, I can't get them to work on Windows 7 or 8.

Unity version : 4.3.1

Build PC: Windows 7

Here is a sample from the outputlog on the build:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

[AVProWindowsMedia] Movie failed to load

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

[AVProWindowsMedia] Couldn't load movie SCENARIO_02_Anim.mov

At first I thought it may be codecs, but the videos do work fine in the edtior, so I'm thinking something else is going on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

3. actionbob4

actionbob4

Im running into the same thing. I found out why though, when you build your assets are no longer in an assets folder but a (yourprojectname)-data folder. so in the editor using Assets/StreamingAssets doesnt work, but if you create a new folder next to your build .exe called Assets/StreamingAssets it will work. I think this is a bug, and needs to be addressed. I would like to no have to do (yourprojectname)-data/StreamingAssets because then i cant see it in the editor.

4. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

Any tips on streaming from web similar to how AVProQuicktime can load URLs? I tried a URL and it didn't work...

Are the only options:
    1) download video from web to system memory and then load from memory?
    2) download video from web to disk and then load from disk?

I would love a direct option.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. shutok-JP

shutok-JP

$bug.png
    I bought ver2.4 in July.
    I tested the frame step button.
    It was ok.
    But,I've updated ver2.5,it doesn't work.

6. raybarrera

raybarrera

Another thing I noted is that it works on someone else's computer, but not 3 of the ones I tested, even with the LAV splitter installed. Again, it does run in editor, but the build won't load the videos.

7. raybarrera

raybarrera

Hey, thanks a lot for this solution, it worked for me. It does definitely sound like a bug. The only reason it was working on my co-worker's computer (which drove us nuts for days) is that he was building next the assets folder, so the path was still correct for him, but when I was building outside of that, it didn't work.
    So, if anyone has this issue, this looks like a solution for now, at least.

8. Tony-Butterfield

Tony-Butterfield

Any thoughts about adding the new h265 or vp9 codec to the playback features?

9. casey945

casey945

i have same issue

10. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

I am noticing a bug that only occurs in scenes with multiple videos. I am use avpro windows media (latest version, latest unity3d and also pevious versions, tested in opengl, directx, etc). Basically if you have more then one video playing, and you try to load a video that is invalid or missing, the next videos you try and play dont work even if they are valid. The easiest scene to see it on is the multivideo scene. The bug does not happen on scenes with only one video.

Sequence of events:
    1) play two good videos
    2) play invalid video

// the function in AVProWindowsMediaPlugin.cs
    public static extern bool LoadMovie(int handle, System.IntPtr filename, bool playFromMemory, bool allowNativeFormat, bool useMixer);
    will correcly return false in this case.
    //inside AVProWindowsMedia
    Then the Close(); function is called.

3) play good video
    public static extern bool LoadMovie(int handle, System.IntPtr filename, bool playFromMemory, bool allowNativeFormat, bool useMixer);
    will INCORRECTLY return false in this case. Even though the video is there!
    Then the Close(); function is called... no video etc.

My workaround sequence of events:
    1) play two good videos
    2) play invalid video

will correcly return false in this case.
    DO NOT call Close(); instead just ignore, stop the video, or throw an exception to be handled by the calling function.

3) play good video
    Good video plays! texture shows up etc.

Obviously, this is a less than ideal solution. If i am doing something wrong let me know, if this is a bug in the DLL, I can use this work-around until it is hopefuly fixed. If this is the right way to fix it, then I hope others can benifit from my tip...

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Tony :)
    The plugin doesn't natively support any codecs. It uses whichever DirectShow video codecs are installed on your system. I think google/webm have already released a vp8/vp9 DirectShow filter somewhere, so you could try installing that. I haven't seen any h265 DirectShow codecs yet but I'm sure they'll be coming soon. Once they are released they should just work :)

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for reporting this Clement! Actually we are close to a new release now and have resolved this issue.

13. davebuchhofer

davebuchhofer

HI Andrew, any word on the new version yet?

Stuck with unity 4.22 and avpro 2.3 here because of that issue, it 'works' with those versions, but the speed increases I saw with the newer release before running into the problem are very appealing!

14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Dave,

Very very soon :) If you need a preview urgently please email me with your invoice number.

Thanks,

15. lo_tszsum

lo_tszsum

I follow your setting in Unity3d. Play video on Unity3D Preview is good and smooth. But i play video in real game program then video have little bit jump and not smooth play. How can fix it? and Why?

P.S. Two test also play on same computer!

16. Mason84

Mason84

I have the same issue as lo_tszsum. A lot of supported format if I´m playing them than they jump often and the video play is not smooth. What can cause this? Maybe i need to install an other codec pack? Nevertheless whit media player they are smooth. Just whit this plugin not. Could you suggest for me a good codec ( ie. h264 ) for encode the videos? Which format is the best and most fluent whit this plugin?

17. kilelr

kilelr

Hi,andrew, i try to record the video that play back with avpro window media using avpromoviecapture...i cant record the audio from the video play back ..any idea to do it?

18. kilelr

kilelr

19. thilina098

thilina098

Hi AndrewRH,

I've been using AVPro Windows Media Plugin in my project and sometimes the executable crash without no apparent reason. But when I looked at the output log and the crash dump. It says "AVProWindowsMedia.dll" caused an Access Violation.

here is the first half of error log. (I'm using Windows7 and Matroska_Pack_Lite_v1.1.2)

also, here's the output stack trace

Any help to solve this issue is much appreciated.

20. test12345

test12345

AVProWindowsMedia is very awesome and saves me lots of time!
    I'm using the latest version (2.5), I have MultiVideoDemo.unity scene open. I load blue-480x256-divx.avi and green-480x256-divx.avi simultaneously. They play just fine! Then I press the RemoveAll button. It unloads the videos appropriately, but when I go to play any new video, it breaks. At this point it's in a dead state, and AVProWindowsMediaPlugin.LoadMovie always returns false without any reason why. I'm on a client project that is requiring this to work, any chance I could get a quick fix for this please and thank you?

-Kyle

21. test12345

test12345

They just got back with me, with an updated version that had the fix! Excellent service!

22. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

After many months we've finally released the new version: AVPro Windows Media 2.6!

You can upgrade to this version via the asset store, or download a trial UnityPackage or demo from our website.

Major changes in this version:

Hap video codec support
    If you haven't read about the Hap codec then you really should check it out. The codec allows you to play multiple full HD videos without much impact on the CPU. It also supports transparency! We've added native support for this codec.

Display-Sync (beta)
    This feature allows you to play back videos with ultra-smoothness by synchronising video presentation with the monitor presentation rate. This feature only works when the application is running full-screen with vsync enabled. For best results videos should be authored at a frame rate that is a multiple of the monitor refresh rate.

Linear Colour Space Support (beta)
    More and more applications are running in linear colour space mode so we felt it was important to support this.

General Improvements
    We've fixed a ton of bugs (mostly related to seeking and some leaked resources), made some performance improvements and generally improved things.

Thanks to everyone for submitting your bug reports and feature requests!

23. javdog

javdog

Fantastic Demo. Could you tell me if Side By Side 3D will render? Also, how I would be able to play a standalone DVD from a drive (if I already have the req codecs) from the controls? Thank you!

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Side-by-side videos are just standard videos, so our plugin will play them. It's up to you though to split up the texture frame to left-right eyes.

This is pretty easy to do though. You could create 2 planes and assign the same texture to them and simple adjust the material mainTexture scale and offset values for each eye.

25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro Windows Media version 2.62 has just been released!

This minor release features:
    1) Some performance improvements
    2) Better support for the Hap codec
    3) Minor bug fixes

26. FahadM11

FahadM11

I simply made the standalone build for windows of material mapping demo, but the videos didn't play.. (working fine with unity editor)
    Can you tell what are the steps required for the build to run properly?

27. davebuchhofer

davebuchhofer

Make sure you are using the right version dll, for instance, you would use the 32bit dll for the editor, but if you are building a 64bit standalone player, you need to switch dll's prior to building in some way.

28. symbell

symbell

Hi AndrewRH,

I have tried your demo plugin "AVPRO Windows Media" it was awesome and fulfilling requirements for my app. I have purchased the PRO version 2.62 today and have two question right now.

First Question:
    I have moved Plugins folder to Assets but it is still showing a pop up saying "Plugin DLL not found. Unity needs the native plugin DLL files to be copied to the /Assets/Plugins folder.
    Would you like us to do that for you?"

What should I do now? I want to play videos and deliver build, it's urgent, please help

Second Question:
    does it supports the video streaming? because I can't find in the documentation, if no then will you add this feature in future?

Thanks in advance

29. augments

augments

Hi

I am getting the similar issue for windows media.

Can someone help me, i need to build a desktop app with live feed in the background and a transparent video overlaid on it.
    How do i go about?

30. pleribus77

pleribus77

I was also having same issue.

I resolved it by exiting Unity, deleting the Library and Temp folders and re-opening project.

Unity rebuilds the Library and Temp files and the scene and videos were working again.

No longer asking to copy DLL repeatedly.

31. Merrik44

Merrik44

I'm unable to load mp4's from resources on most computers, however I am able to load them from a folder.
    Any idea why this is the case? I can load avi's from resources so the demo works.
    Thanks.

32. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Merrik44,

Yes the videos from resources are played from memory instead of from files on disk. Unfortunately not all codecs support this type of playback.

33. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Version 2.64 of the AVPro Windows Media plugin has just been released!

Please upgrade to this version if you were having troubles with the previous version (2.62). Changes in this version include:

1) Fixed texture memory releasing in Editor
    2) Textures are now named
    3) Memory buffers now 16-byte aligned

As usual demos are available on the website.

34. Merrik44

Merrik44

Thanks. I am now using standard video loading from folder however I am still having trouble loading mp4 files on many computers.
    Its obviously a missing codec issue because when I install klite on the pc then it runs fine.
    However, I am able to open the m4 files from folder with vlc (before installing klite), so there is a codec on the pc for mp4's.
    My question s why can't AVpro load the video using that codec.

35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

VLC has it's own built-in codecs that aren't shared with anything else on the system. The same goes for Windows Media Player. AVPro Windows Media
    relies on DirectShow filters that are available to the entire OS.

You shouldn't need to install k-lite or any other codec packs. In fact it's best to remove those and just install what you need.

You should only need to install Haali Media Splitter. This is a DirectShow filter that handles the MP4 extension. Windows already has a built-in H.264 decoder that will handle most H.264 videos (except some extremely high quality 4:4:4 videos).

This is all covered in the FAQ section of the documentation btw :)

Cheers,

36. FahadM11

FahadM11

Hi AndrewRH, I want to play the video in reverse, i'm just unable to figure out how, what parameters to tweak :/

37. FahadM11

FahadM11

Ok, I got it done with PositionFrames ! :)

38. pneill

pneill

Can you dynamically load a video from a server and have it stream? From a quick skim of the docs it was unclear if this scenario was supported.

39. davidslin

davidslin

I don't know if this question should go in this thread or the general thread but since I have purchased this software I'll put it here. I would first like to say the the customer support has been great. Very professional and very quick to respond. Maybe the community can help me:

Following their tutorial, I was able to use the GUI playback a sample H264 video file from within the main unity IDE. Great, right? Now trying to add this functionality into the real application ( which currently can play only the default theora/ogg format ), I get a "The type or namespace name 'AVProWindowsMediaMovie' could not be found" So my question is, how and what do I include in my personal Unity project so I can use the AVPro H264/MPEG4 functionality? Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

40. AlexJBoyd

AlexJBoyd

Hello,

I am having problems having video play on my builds. It works great in editor, but nothing when I run the application. I was reading through the FAQ and I believe my problem stems from the .dll and 64 bit system. However I think I followed the steps properly to replace the 32 with the 64 bit and still nothing. Anyone else have issue?

41. Exsight

Exsight

You can check if the DLL is correctly founded by looking the "output_log.txt" file in the _Data folder after you run the .exe. It will say if it doesn't find AVProWindowsMedia-x64.dll.
    In my case, I don't have to rename it to AVProWindowsMedia.dll as documentation stated...

Unfortunately, I'm having another issue when I want to load my video file, either if it's an mp4, m4v or avi...
    I give a try with 32 bits and 64 bits export version but still the same issue.

I think it's related to my codec installation and try with "Haali Media Splitter" only, then with full K-Lite codec pack in both software and Nvidia Hardware decoding but still no success...
    Here is the interesting part of my output log file throwing an "unable to convert video format" error, if someone could help :

Code (CSharp):
    1. Initialize engine version: 4.5.2f1 (9abb1b59b47c)
    2. GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    3. Direct3D:
    4.     Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 9.18.13.3788]
    5.     Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    6.     Vendor:   NVIDIA
    7.     VRAM:     1946 MB (via DXGI)
    8.     Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0
    10. //...
    12. [AVProWindowsMedia] version 2.64 initialised
    13. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
    15. [AVProWindowsMedia] Conversion method: Unity4
    16. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
    18. [AVProWindowsMedia] Loaded video 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Builds\Videos\ballroom.mp4' (1920x960 @ 15.00 fps) 868 frames, 57.87 seconds - format: YUV_422_YUY2
    19. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
    21. [AVProWindowsMedia] unable to convert video format
    22. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
    24. [AVProWindowsMedia] Couldn't load movie C:\Users\Public\Documents\Builds\Videos\ballroom.mp4
    25. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

All is working fine in Unity Editor, bug is only on exported version.

42. Exsight

Exsight

Ok having it working !
    Codec configuration was just good and error happened in "GetPixelConversionShader" of "AVProWindowsMediaManager" script, the switch statement did not return any shader.

To resolve this, I have to add all plugin shaders to Always include list in Project Settings > Graphics.
    But as I manually instantiate and assign AVProWindows scripts to my object at runtime, I should reload shaders by hand because AVProWindowsMediaManager public fields apparently become void when the project is exported...

Code (CSharp):
    2. //Init stuff
    3. AVProWindowsMediaManager avProMediaManager = videoObject.AddComponent<AVProWindowsMediaManager>();
    4. avProMediaManager._shaderBGRA32 = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeBGRA_2_RGBA");
    5. avProMediaManager._shaderCopy = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeCopy");
    6. avProMediaManager._shaderHap_YCoCg = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeYCoCg_2_RGB");
    7. avProMediaManager._shaderHDYC = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeHDYC_2_RGBA");
    8. avProMediaManager._shaderNV12 = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeNV12_709");
    9. avProMediaManager._shaderUYVY = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeUYVY_2_RGBA");
    10. avProMediaManager._shaderYUY2 = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeYUY2_2_RGBA");
    11. avProMediaManager._shaderYUY2_709 = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeYUY2709_2_RGBA");
    12. avProMediaManager._shaderYVYU = Shader.Find("Hidden/AVProWindowsMedia/CompositeYVYU_2_RGBA");
    14. AVProWindowsMediaMovie avProMovieScript = videoObject.AddComponent<AVProWindowsMediaMovie>();
    15. avProMovieScript._loadOnStart = false;
    16. avProMovieScript._colourFormat = AVProWindowsMediaMovie.ColourFormat.YCbCr_HD;
    18. AVProWindowsMediaMaterialApply avProMaterialApply = videoObject.AddComponent<AVProWindowsMediaMaterialApply>();
    19. avProMaterialApply._material = videoObject.renderer.material;
    20. avProMaterialApply._movie = avProMovieScript;
    22. //Setting stuff and LoadMovie()
    23. //...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  43. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm afraid this will only work if you can map a drive to this server (LAN). Streaming protocols are not supported.

44. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for taking the time to report this. This is very strange behaviour and not something we've come across before. We'll look into it.

45. Omidja

Omidja

46. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

URLs can't be used. The files must be local on the file system.

47. HiroKiro

HiroKiro

Hi I have a stuptid question....

I looked at the "Experience Japan" oculus 360 movie Demo.
    http://polygonwindowproductions.com/portfolio/oculus-rift-vr-360-video/

In the _Data/plugins I see the are using AVProWindowsMedia.dll.

The play back is perfect and flawless... When I Rename My video and replace the 1.mp4 in the demo

it also plays flawless in HD. But when I try the AVPRO WM 2.64 Trial package in Unity3d and load the 530MB 1.mp4

Experience Japan 360 video the playback is unusably choppy and the audio is also unsuitable ....

Am I missing something?

Sincerely,
    Hiro

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

The trial version is a bit slower than the full version because it has watermarking. This is especially obvious for very high resolution videos (which I suspect 1.mp4 is).

I hope that helps,

49. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

hi all, I have a problem loading the DLL, I've put the DLL in the plugins folder, but when I play in editor it throws a DllNotFoundException, what should I Do? [Windows 7 x64, nVidia GTX 660, Intel i7]

50. Mason84

Mason84

Hi Andrew, is there any known issue in the executive version? In editor the videos are played but after compiling an executive build the videos wont playing any more. Could you give us some advice where should we search the issue?

Thank you!