Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. xeye

xeye

Just got around to trying this, thank you.

I got the scene hooked up and it's all working. My big issue now is that the VR images are slightly misaligned when I try to use this mode. For reference, I have the same source video being used in a scene using the "sphere mapping" technique and the alignment is perfect - also I got the same correct result (algnment-wise) using the original
    Unity video player. The problem here is that the skybox method seems to have the edge with a better framerate, so I'd love to use this method instead of the sphere geometry mapping. Not just to be picky, but we are trying to pass Oculus submission and they get testy about framerate dips.
    Are there any suggestions you can offer?
    Details - 30sec .MOV (hap encode), 4k, Top/Bottom VR

2. NathanRH

NathanRH

What do you mean by misaligned? Are you using multiple MediaPlayers for a cube map or something?

Is this for Windows platform?

Hmmm, I wouldn't have expected any different in performance between skybox vs sphere geometry...hmm

Is there a reason why you're using Hap over H.265?

3. xeye

xeye

Super simple setup. Basically the 15_Demo_Skybox scene with my own video slotted in, instead. Yes, Windows. The original vids were MP4s output w H264, I tried loading them but the framerate was consistently giving me 50-60FPS. Looking around forums etc, everyone basically said hap was the solution for my issue (getting 4k stereo VR video with 90 FPS). I'm not super well versed in a lot of this stuff so I didn't realize that there was a H265 option, I guess I'd better look into that (these hap .mov's are HUUUUUUGE filesizes)

Misaligned meaning, the stereo effect is off somehow, can't put my finger on it exactly but it's immediately obvious - can't tell if the scale is just off, or one eye is moved with some kind of slight offset compared to the other or something. But it's definitely unuseable.

I might be imagining the performance difference between the skybox vs geometry solutions, I've only been comparing editor tests and haven't done actual packaged builds so it may not be a definitive ruling. Anyway for now I am going to go with a full build w geometry option and do some research into the h265 codec.

4. zhang321

zhang321

Hello
    When I released the WebGL version, I used the URL model to play the video, and the Html crashed directly.
    Error message: [AVProVideo] Video refused to start playback - check your browser permission settings as videos that contain audio can be blocked by default. Muting video and attempting playback again
    What's the reason? Please answer as soon as possible! thank you!

5. xeye

xeye

my build w hap codec doesn't look so good. FPS is great but it's introduced some choppy playback sadly. I've tried converting to H.265 as you've suggested - I tried first re-outputting from premiere, then a second time converting w FFMPEG. Both times it won't play, I've tried switching to DirectShow but no dice, gives this error.

[AVProVideo] Error: Loading failed. File not found, codec not supported, video resolution too high or insufficient system resources.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.MediaPlayer:UpdateErrors() (at Assets/AVProVideo/Scripts/Components/MediaPlayer.cs:2111)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.MediaPlayer:Update() (at Assets/AVProVideo/Scripts/Components/MediaPlayer.cs:1412)

Any suggestions? I can get the H.265 file to playback just fine thru VLC media player. Thank you again for reading, and helping!

6. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yes, Hap can decode very fast and isn't so reliant on the GPU decoder, so it can potentially outperform H.265 decoder which is limited to 8K30 generally. But yes the files are huge so it's usually not a practical format for shipped software, more for live events.

Hmm that's odd. did you specify the stereo mode in the MediaPlayer compoent?
    Are you sure you're using the latest version of the plugin, because we only recently added stereo support to the Skybox shaders.
    Also - did you try enablign the debug eye tint option to help make sure that the eyes are getting the correct stereo input?

Ok :)

7. NathanRH

NathanRH

H.265 on Windows requires you to install the codec manually from Microsoft. You can download it here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

That will work when using the Media Foundation video API, not DirectShow (legacy).

Thanks,

8. NathanRH

NathanRH

Some questions to help us answer your question:

1) Which browsers are you having trouble with?
    2) Which platform is this on?
    3) Does your video contain audio?
    4) Which version of AVPro Video are you using?
    5) Which version of Unity are you using?
    6) What format are your videos in?

If you're reporting an issue it's best to post it to our Issue Tracker on GitHub so that our support team can investigate:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProVideo/issues

Thanks,

9. blevok

blevok

Hi, i'm having a problem with stereo video flickering in one eye only. I own the android and windows versions of AVPro, and this issue happens on both platforms and in the editor.

I have 2 cameras (left eye, right eye), with an IPD adjustment system that moves the cameras closer together or further apart. Everything works good when the cameras are in their default position (0,0,0), but when IPD is adjusted, the left eye starts flickering.
    On mobile the flicker is continuous, but in the editor, the flicker only happens while the camera position is being adjusted, and it stops when the camera stops moving.

Here's a short video that shows it happening on android. You can see in the video when i move the IPD adjustment away from default, and when i reset it, and the effect it has on the video.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nw4uP3lCiQemOjg_7JzCnK5tTTyc6EzW/view?usp=sharing

It happens with all variants of stereo packing, left/right and top/bottom, in both 360 and 180.
    It only happens with stereo video, when using the InsideSphere Unlit Transparent shader.
    It does not happen when using the InsideSphere Unlit shader for normal 2D video.

The flicker is not the camera itself is moving, and the default texture i'm using in the Apply to Mesh component does not flicker, so i'm guessing it's related to the shader and only affects playing video. Please help me to understand why this is happening and how to solve it.
    Thanks

Here are some images of how i have things setup:

Left eye

Right eye

Media player

Sphere

Attached Files:

10. xeye

xeye

Understood, I will try this. I'm building an app for the Oculus store - if the end user doesn't download and manually install this same codec, will the app not be able to run properly?

11. Psajmon_unity

Psajmon_unity

Hello.
    I wonder whether to buy this wonderful plugin. I'm just checking the trial. Is it possible to play video directly from "byte []" stream? I know it exists:
    -"virtual bool RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.BaseMediaPlayer.OpenVideoFromBuffer (byte [] buffer)"
    But is it supported on Android (Oculus Quest)?
    Does anyone have a sample code to watch the movie directly from "byte []"?
    Thanks

12. LostPanda

LostPanda

@NathanRH I'd like to know the approximate release time for version 2.0, probably in a few months. I understand that 2.0 has done a lot of optimizations, especially HAP. Other areas have also been greatly improved. Looking forward to 2.0, thanks again.

13. zhang321

zhang321

Hello

1. Firefox and Google
    2.WebGl PC
    3.contain audio
    4.AVPro Video 1.10.1
    5.Unity is 2018.3
    6.M3u8 video streaming

Thanks

14. jujugy

jujugy

Hi Developer,

Below is my Problem description:

I have AVPro android and ios,
    I import android version, it work fine, the watermark not shows up.
    But when i import ios version, my android watermark shops up again.

15. elmoya

elmoya

Try using Ndi Virtual Input from newtek ndi tools. Avpro camera will display this virtual input

NathanRH likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Problem description:

if i output earphone the play vedio is stop in the iphone,so how to deal with it?

Device (which devices are you having the issue with - model, OS version number):

Iphone8,9,10 and so on.

Media (tell us about your videos - number of videos, resolution, codec, frame-rate, example URLs):

System Information:

AVPro Video: plugin v1.9.18 scripts v1.10.0
    Target Platform: Standalone
    Unity: v2018.4.15f1 OSXEditor
    OS: Desktop - MacBookPro13,3 - Mac OS X 10.14.5 - Chinese
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz - 8 threads - 16384KB
    GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 455 OpenGL Engine - ATI Technologies Inc. - OpenGL 4.1 ATI-2.9.26 - 2048KB - 16384

17. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

If you update to the latest version then that issue should be solved. When you update please do so from a freshly opened Unity editor so that there are no locked plugin files.

If you're still having problems please report it on the GitHub issues so that our support team can investigate.

Thanks,

18. NathanRH

NathanRH

Please read section 3.2 of the PDF user manual titled "Installing Multiple Platform Packages"

Basically you have to install the first package, and then when you install the second package you need to deselect the native plugin files from the first package so that they are not overwritten.

Thanks,

19. NathanRH

NathanRH

We should have a beta version coming to our website and github for download next week.

Thanks for the support and looking forward to your testing and feedback :)

LostPanda likes this.
  20. NathanRH

NathanRH

I'm afraid that functionality currently is only for Windows UWP(Store). We hope to add support for more platform in the future.

Thanks,

21. NathanRH

NathanRH

I see. Well you may want to consider using H.264 then as a fallback.
    You could always include a test H.265 video and try to play it when the app starts as a test too, and then decide which codec to use. Unfortunately Microsoft removed the H.265 codec from Windows and made it something extra to install.

22. NathanRH

NathanRH

So for HLS streaming you probably need to activate HLS.JS script. Please see in the PDF user manual, we have a section about WebGL streaming. Some browsers do not natively support HLS (m3u8) streams, so it requires adding a javascript library to add support. We have funcitonality for this, you just need to make some tweaks to get it working. It's all written in the documentation.

Thanks,

23. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

You should only have a single UpdateStereoMaterial script in your scene. And the camera that it's assigned to should not be the left or right camera, but instead a central camera (could be invisible/disabled even). The on that component you shouldn't have the ForceEye set - it should just be set to None.

I hope that helps.

24. blevok

blevok

That fixed the flickering issue, thanks.

I have a couple other questions.

When using the debug eye tint, which side is which? I'm seeing green on the left, is that correct? My IPD system allows for the cameras to be switched, and now i'm not sure which way is correct for stereo video.

Also, is there any chance of HDR video support in the near future? I have users asking for it. Mainly for UI video, but world space would be great too.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  25. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

I think I saw a screenshot earlier where you had the GameObject with UpdateStereoMaterial disabled. That GameObject should be enabled otherwise the UpdateStereoMaterial script will not work correctly. The Camera component can be disabled.

As for the debug eye tint, yes green is left and red is for right.

Could you explain more about the HDR video feature that you're asking for? Perhaps you could submit the feature idea to our development team here:

Thanks,

26. brunno159

brunno159

Hi.

Im making an hybrid app. Vr and non vr. Im using unity 2020 beta and oprnsource cardboard xr plugin. Im using il2cpp to make arm7 and arm64 android binarys. Problem is my app starts with xr disabled. If i enter the scene with vr off, all works. If i open the vr scene. The app crashes. My phone is arm64. The android plugins werent set to arm64. Enabled manually. Problem is. App still crashes...i removed your asset and replaced with unity default video library and everything works. Any help here?

27. blevok

blevok

Yeah i edited my post. The video on the right side in stereo looked washed out compared to the left side, but the issue turned out to be with the video itself. It was just a bad sample.

About HDR, it produces images with differences in light and color that are closer to what the human eye can differentiate. Or something like that. Basically it just looks a lot closer to real life.

Here's an example from the internets. I tried to take an actual screenshot on my phone, but the only android app that supports HDR doesn't allow screenshots, and the google assistant trick doesn't work anymore.
    The right side is with HDR support. The left is without HDR support.
    HDR videos do play with AVPro, but they look like the left side.

I noticed this in the documentation, in the roadmap section:
    Version X.X.X
    10-bit / HDR support?

So it seems at least one of your people is aware of HDR and considered supporting it at some point.
    There's only one app that i can find in the android store that supports HDR, so i'm guessing it's complicated in some way.

28. xeye

xeye

I appreciate that you have many other people 's questions to answer in here, so thank you for your feedback. So to reiterate my issue - will AVPro work as a solution if I need 90 FPS for 4k video with stereo images (for VR) - without using Hap encoding, as the filesizes are prohibitively huge (and it's performing extremely choppy playback, anyway)? I tried with H265 but it gives 65 FPS, I tried H264 and it gives like 50s FPS. Is this something the plugin is capable of doing, and can you advise any other settings I might be missing? If this is beyond the abilities of the plugin, can you recommend any other solutions? Thank you again.

29. NathanRH

NathanRH

Ahh I see - yes we do have plans for HDR support still, but it is still some way off. It is indeed complicated :)

Thanks,

30. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi xeye,

The H.265 that you're running at 65FPS - is the hardware you're running at definitely refreshing at 90hz? I just want to make sure you're not vsyncing on a display that's running at 60hz.

The resolution and frame rate that you can decode at is all based on the hardware (GPU) you're using to decode. Top of the line Nvidia Geforce 2080 for example can decode a single 8K H.265 video at 30-60FPS. There is some information about the hardware performance here:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#NVDECFeatures

Unfortunately they don't show all hardware so there is a bit of guess work involved. 4K at 90 with H.265 is probably close to the limits (when you account for extra overheads from our plugin and Unity) of what is possible right now with really good hardware. If you're saying 4K stereo, then perhaps the video is double width/height, so you might be reaching the limits of your hardware. If you run Task Manager and look at the Performance tab, you should be able to see if there is bottleneck, like the GPU decoder might be max out.

Thanks,

31. wpetillo

wpetillo

Thanks for writing back, just saw the alert regarding your reply. The issue is no longer relevant to me because, for my use case, it ended up making more sense to use animations.

FYI, the use case involved layering multiple videos, with varying small-area videos on top of a full-screen background video. The syncing needed to be frame-perfect from beginning to end, with multiple events being triggered at variable (calculated) points within the background video. As expressed in my warning comment in line 48, the video reported consistent values for duration and playback rate when playing the video multiple times, but recording the time difference between the FirstFrameReady and FinishedPlaying events did not yield a consistent duration. This uncertainty about how long a video actually took to play made it difficult to achieve perfect syncing between layered videos, between videos and animations, or between videos and precisely timed events. I am not sure if this a bug, something inherent to video playback, or if there is some process that would have worked perfectly, but as mentioned above for this case it ended up being fine to simply use animations instead.

NathanRH likes this.
  32. shoo

shoo

Hello! There is a lot of "GUI Layer" errors, when importing into Unity 2019.4.

Like so:

Component GUI Layer in Main Camera for Scene Assets/AVProVideo/Demos/Scenes/01_Demo_BackgroundShader.unity is no longer available.
    It will be removed after you edit this GameObject and save the Scene.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

33. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

Hello,
    I have an issue getting good spatial audio. I am using version 1.11.2 of AVPRO Video and running on an android (Pico G2). The audio is prepared with Reaper and added to the video with the FB360 encoder as recommended in the
    Good spacial audio is very important for the user experience and we have struggle for ages to get it working.
    It is working now but the perception of directionality is not so strong (using headphones with the headset).

Interestingly, if I use a single sound source which moves in the scene, the perception of directionality is better that when you have a single stationary sound source and you move you head.
    In order to boost the effect of the direction I have "enable focus" on under Facebook audio 360.
    This does a make a difference in the volume of the audio whether you are looking at the source or not. Unfortunately the effect is too strong and changing the value of "Off focus level DB" has no effect. The decrease in volume is the same whether you set this to 0 or -24.

Any advice from anyone who has experience with this is much appreciated. And in particular any help from Renderhead about why the "Off focus level DB" is not working would be great!

Thanks!!

34. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yes, those should just be warnings.. They shouldn't affect the running of the plugin. We will remove GUILayer component in the next release as it's not needed.

Thanks,

35. Lando9000

Lando9000

Problem description:

Cant get AVProVideo working on Android at all, see exception below

06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : AndroidJavaException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.RenderHeads.AVProVideo.AVProMobileVideo
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.RenderHeads.AVProVideo.AVProMobileVideo
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at java.lang.Class.classForName(Native Method)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:453)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRender(Native Method)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.access$300(Unknown Source:0)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e$1.handleMessage(Unknown Source:83)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
    06-11 13:08:55.939 27216 27248 E Unity : at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e.run(Unknown Source:20)

The build is 64bit IL2CPP. I have already checked the plugins under Android/Plugins/libs/arm64-v8a/
    All files have been set to platforn Android and CPU to ARM64. Using Unity 2019.3.13f1 and the latest version of the plugin (1.11.2)

Device (which devices are you having the issue with - model, OS version number):

Android OS 9 (API 28)

System Information:

AVPro Video: plugin v1.11.2 scripts v1.11.2
    Target Platform: Android
    Unity: v2019.3.13f1 OSXEditor
    OS: Desktop - MacBookPro16,1 - Mac OS X 10.15.4 - English
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 threads - 65536KB
    GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M - Apple - Metal - 8176KB - 16384

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  36. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks for reporting this. Is it only on Android that the off-focus level DB isn't working? Have you tried it in the (Windows) Unity editor?

As for being unable to hear the directionality well, did you try your file inside the Facebook Audio 360 VR player that comes as part of the encoding toolset? I'm just wondering whether you're getting a different experience in their tools compared to our player?

Perhaps you could post about this issue with these new details to our issue tracker so that our support team can investigate? We have an issue tracker here:

Thanks,

37. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

Thanks for reporting your issue,

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. I can only think that the plugins somehow still haven't been assigend the correct platform and architecture. Perhaps you could double check this as I know it's easy to miss some:

all the files in /Android/libs/arm64-v8a should be set to ARM64
    all the files in /Android/libs/armeabi-v7a should be set to ARM
    all the files in /Android/libs/x86 should be set to x86
    all the other files in /Android shouldn't have any CPU architecture set, but should be set to Android platform only

I hope that helps you. If it doesn't then please report the issue on our issue tracker so that our support team can investigate:

Please include a full log as there may be clues further up in the log that will help diagnose the cause.

Thanks,

38. Lando9000

Lando9000

Thanks, yes ive check all of this, the files seem to be built into the apk too but for whatever reason the app doesn't recognise them. Im up against a deadline so unfortunately having to revert back to the unity video player..........

39. SlapDashAsh

SlapDashAsh

Loving the product! Is there a way to get the shader (lit or unlit) to cast shadows in the shape of the keyed object? In my Unity project I'm using the transparency shader with LeftRight on footage of an actor, and I need their shadow to be cast as they animate.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  40. unity_x4ht6UIB6KyDXA

unity_x4ht6UIB6KyDXA

Hi .. I tried to run a video on HLS.
    I'm having problems outputting Video with WebGL Bulld
    I'm having an issue with the first few seconds of the video appearing small in the upper left corner by itself.
    The problem is only happening on edge, and I couldn't see it in chrome or Firefox.

Environment
    Unity 2019.2.0f
    Web Microsoft Edge 44.19041.1.0
    WebGL 1.0/2.0 AutoAPI
    Output by Apply To Mesh
    Streaming output with Http Live Streaming
    Video format mp4
    Resolution 720p

For some reason, I can't take a screenshot, but it looks like the image.
    It doesn't happen every time, but every once in a while, I'll encounter something like this

Let me know if you have any insights.

It turns out later that there is a similar problem in safari

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  41. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

This isn't something that we added support for we have not needed it. I think Unity only supports casting shadows from transparent shaders that use the "AlphaTest" queue. There is a thread here about it with an example shader:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cast-shadow-on-transparent-material.328783/

You duplicate our shader and modify it to support alpha-test. This may lead to harder edges however. I believe it's a general issue with Unity but I'm not up to speed on the latest changes with shadows.

Thanks,

42. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm really not sure what's causing this. It certainly worked in previous Edge versions. Perhaps it's an issue with Unity as you're using a .0 version which usually have a ton of bugs in them. Perhaps try with the latest LTS version of 2019? We include WebGL support in the plugin as a 'freebee' as it's actually really difficult to support all the different browsers, even though they should be standardised they really aren't (especially Safari).

If you would like to report the issue, please post it on our Issue Tracker so that our support team can investigate further:

I would recommend trying with a newer version of Unity though, and also the latest version of AVPro Video in case you're using an old version.

Thanks,

43. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

LostPanda likes this.
  44. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.11.3 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version on our website.

Changes include:

Android
    • This plugin now still works even when the Facebook Audio360 library files have been deleted
    General
    • Fixed PlaylistMediaPlayer where playing the same item again on the same mediaplayer would cause it to not play
    • Fixed glitch in PlaylistMediaPlayer where sometimes an old first frame would display during the start of a transition
    • PlaylistMediaPlayer playlist items can now collapse in Unity inspector
    • Added support for forcing eye rendering on uGUI shaders
    • Updated demos to not have warnings in Unity 2019 and 2020

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or preferably to our Github Issue tracker

Thanks,

45. Xavier78

Xavier78

Hello. I have been trying to move an app over to iOS, but spatial audio .mkv files aren't playing the sound. Is this not an option for iOS? If so why, and are there plans on adding it?

46. obeselord

obeselord

Hi, I'm trying to change the AVPro media player playback rate with a C# script while the game is running and it doesn't do anything, even though I can change it by moving the playback rate slider in the media player component itself. The video I'm using is streaming from Vimeo.

This is my code to change the m_PlaybackRate :

mainMediaPlayer.GetComponent<MediaPlayer>().m_PlaybackRate = 5.0f;

What could be the problem? Thank you.

47. Handsome-Wisely

Handsome-Wisely

i want to use webgl play m3u8. how can i?

48. Handsome-Wisely

Handsome-Wisely

i find how to play m3u8 in webgl, but i can only play one, i want to play tow in my scene, can i?

49. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Hey, I see on GitHub that there is a v2 in beta. Will it be an upgrade to v1 owners? Or it's better for me to hold it and wait for v2 before to buy this asset?

50. NathanRH

NathanRH

It's a completely new product really. There will be an upgrade path for V1 owners, but it will still cost for the upgrade. V2 might not suit your needs, as there are a lot of changes, including dropping support for some older platforms etc. We also don't yet have a firm date on when V2 will be released out of beta. The upgrade path from V1 will be fair, so I would say that if V1 suits your needs now then get V1, otherwise wait until you can fully evaluate V2.

Thanks,