Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Jakob

Jakob

I'm getting a red tint on my video playback on ios. Dont know what could be the reason for this because it has been working but now there is a red tint on the videos. What could be the issue? Is there a setting i have managed to enable or disabled?

2. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hmm..if you are using our shaders/components, then you should never see a red tint like this....
    You might have ticket the 'Use YCbCr' option under Platfomr Specific > iOS on the MediaPlayer component.

3. Jakob

Jakob

Yes that made it go away. So the solution was to untick the option "use YCbCr". Thank you!

4. bz_apps

bz_apps

Hi, do yo uhave a proguard file? If i enable minification with proguard i get errors based on missing renderheads stuff.

5. GWF

GWF

We have a webgl build with mp4 videos and it works on desktop browsers and android phones. but on Mobile IOS (ipad pro ios 13) the webgl videos do not load and play. Is there a specific video format we should use or something we need to set for playback on mobile IOS webgl or its not officially supported on IOS.
    Unity Version: 2019.3.0f6
    AVPro Video Version: 1.10.1

6. octavian_buzatu

octavian_buzatu

Hi,

We are using AVPro Movie Capture 4.0.5 that supports 4k
    We have problems that for videos with many frames content changes, the size of 4k videos are very large - e.g 10 Gb for a 10 min video.
    We are using MF H.264 MP4 Codec and we are restricted to this due to compatibility with other internal applications.
    How could we configure this codec from C# scripts (we are using Unity framework with C#) in order to get smaller video sizes for 4k?

Looking forward for your support! It is an urgent topic for us.

7. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi, this isn't the right forum to post this, as this forum is for AVPro Video. The AVPro Movie Capture forum is here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-avpro-movie-capture.120717/page-20
    or better yet, post to our GitHub issues so our whole team can answer:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues

I will answer here though to save time :) Yes there are no other options exposed currently...But we are adding more options into the next version of the plugin (due out in the next few days). The new version will have the option to encode to HEVC instead of H.264 which will reduce file size, and it will also expose codec options such as bitrate and compression level. I hope this will help. If you have more questions please post to one of the above locations. Thanks,

8. NathanRH

NathanRH

Could you post more details? Such as - the whole error log

Thanks,

9. NathanRH

NathanRH

Great, I'm glad that solved it. I'm curious though why it didn't work. If you're using our components and shaders to display the video, then it should work with that option enabled (which will improve memory usage). Any insight into why it's not working in your setup? If it's an issue with our system then we can improve it for other users.

Thanks,

10. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

So I believe that Safari doesn't support WebGL 2.0. Unity by default builds to WebGL 2.0. You could perhaps try to force it to build to WebGL 1.0 (in Player Settings). Safari in general though doesn't play ball with embedded videos like the other browsers do, so you may still have issues, but using WebGL 1.0 should get you much closer.

Thanks,

11. samsarfau9

samsarfau9

Problem description:

Hi!

I have an asset bundle which contains my videos. The videos I fetch from the bundle come in as VideoClips. Unfortunately, since the videos are loaded into memory, I cannot supply a path to my MediaPlayer in order to play the video.
    Is there a workaround that would allow me to play VideoClips in the MediaPlayer?

Device (which devices are you having the issue with - model, OS version number):

Oculus GO - since the videos are quite large (about 3GB) I'm using an asset bundle and loading it to external memory as an .obb

Media (tell us about your videos - number of videos, resolution, codec, frame-rate, example URLs):

About 10 360 videos. 4K res @ 30fps. They play normally when I supply a path to the MediaPlayer

System Information:

AVPro Video: plugin v1.10.1 scripts v1.10.1
    Target Platform: Android
    Unity: v2019.2.15f1 WindowsEditor
    OS: Desktop - N15_17RD (Notebook) - Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit - English
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz - 8 threads - 8109KB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - NVIDIA - Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0] - 2017KB - 16384

12. erikblue88

erikblue88

Problem description:

I tried to play the video from StreamingAssets but the audio and video are not in sync.
    Please Help

Device (which devices are you having the issue with - model, OS version number):

PC Windows 10, 64bits

Media (tell us about your videos - number of videos, resolution, codec, frame-rate, example URLs):

One video 508MB, mp4, 1920x1080@30

System Information:

AVPro Video: plugin v1.10.1 scripts v1.10.1
    Target Platform: Standalone
    Unity: v2019.3.0f6 WindowsEditor
    OS: Desktop - CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830_M11AA-8 (ASUSTeK Computer INC.) - Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit - Spanish
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz - 4 threads - 8143KB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 - NVIDIA - Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0] - 1990KB - 16384

13. iLyxa3D

iLyxa3D

Does AVPro support emission in shaders?

I want to make flat video looks like hologram: to add animated mask, color tint and blue emission effect. Is it possible? Maybe someone have such shader example?

14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

There's no reason why that wouldn't work. AVPro Video just writes the video frames to a standard Unity texture...so you can use that with materials just as usual.

You can use our components to do this easily, such as ApplyToMaterial / ApplyToMesh. These have a texture property:
    • Texture Property (optional)

• By default this script assigns to the main texture (_MainTex) but if you want to assign to another slot you can put the name in here. If you’re using the Standard Shader and want the texture to drive the emissive property, set the property name to “_EmissionMap”. You may also need to apply a dummy texture to the emissive texture slot in the material to initialise it, and set the emissive colour so it isn’t black.
    Hope that helps,

iLyxa3D likes this.
  15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

How out of sync are they? Could it be an issue with the encoding?

If you're still having this issue please could you post the details to our Github so our team can investiate:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProVideo/issues

Thanks,

16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm afraid we don't provide any method to play VideoClip assets, or videos from asset bundles or from memory.

17. bz_apps

bz_apps

Il get a update to this soon but if you try to run play a video on a 64 bit android device and you set magnification to use pro guard in unity, you will see the videos do not work.

18. vertexx

vertexx

Please can someone tell me what the difference (apart from pricing!) between the $450 AVPro and the $150 AVPro Video(Windows) versions?
    Is the $450 version a lot better or faster or more reliable or what?
    To me it seems hard to find much info. on the "Pro" version?
    Thanks..
    PS:
    Great Sale coming soon.

19. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

The $450 AVPro Video package has support for many platforms such as Windows, UWP, iOS, tvOS, macOS and Android. We decided to also offer cheaper versions of the package for people that only care about a single platform. So the $150 AVPro Video (Windows) package is intended for people who want to use the plugin for create apps on Windows only. These packages still support all platforms, but the other platforms will have a watermark on them.
    There's no other difference. I hope that helps to explain the packages.

Thanks,

20. RobertCoomber

RobertCoomber

Good Morning. I have gotten LoadFromBufferInChunks.cs sample functioning and I understand how it works.
    1) StartOpenChunkedVideoFromBuffer - (set file size)
    2) AddChunkToVideoBuffer - (adding chunks of data in while loop)
    3) EndOpenChunkedVideoFromBuffer - (Ends the reading of data, starts playback)

I have multiple files of the same size on disk, which I don't know the order in which they will be played when I start playback. I was wondering if it is possible to add more chunks to the buffer after the video has already started playing? Because it is a buffer, I assumed it would be possible to add more chunks during playback however, I have not been able to get a system like that working. Is this possible?

Another option I tried was using a "double buffer" by using 2 media players however, loading a file to the unused media player causes the in use media player to stutter. I really want to be able to use the load buffer function so that I can load bytes, not a file path. Any help or insight is appreciated!

Thanks guys.

21. Aitmukhan

Aitmukhan

Я хочу, чтобы в моем приложении плавное изменение ориентации от портретного к горизонтальному (и обратно) (например, работы Youtube и Vimeo)
    . При переходе видео не следует растягивать и выравнивать.
    Ваш плагин поддерживает это?

22. vertexx

vertexx

23. gamefox87

gamefox87

Seems it only works under D3D11 not 12. Also doesn't support Vulkan.

24. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yes, that's is correct.
    We will look at adding support for these in the future but right now it's not a high priority for us.
    Thanks,

25. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yup! Well since you already own the single platform version, you should be able to upgrade to the full package for the cost difference. I'm not sure when the next sale will be - Unity handles all of those things...
    Cheers!

26. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,
    So features like rotation etc are sort of application level features and not something we will add support in AVPro Video to. Our plugin plays back videos to textures, so it's up the the app developers if they want to add features like auto-rotation support to their apps.
    Thanks,

27. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yeah, so those methods are currently only implemented on Windows, and only when selecting the DirectShow video API. We just added them to allow videos to be loaded from memory buffers.

I'm afraid it's not meant to allow videos to be dynamically streamed from a buffer.... That would be a great feature though, but we don't have any plans for this in the future.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by double buffering 2 media players.... Currently when using the DirectShow API there will be a stutter, because our implementation of this runs on the main thread, so it causes a block while loading happens. The Media Foundation implementation doesn't have this problem, but it has not support to load from memory currently..

Why do you need to load videos from a buffer? Usually this is for reasons of hiding the video, but there are also other ways to do this.
    Thanks,

28. RobertCoomber

RobertCoomber

Hello Nathan, thanks for the reply. I can tell you all have already put though into this.

One of the main reasons is for hiding locally stored content windows. I know there is currently no security features for playback of videos stored on the drive/not streaming, so I wanted to exploring some possible options.

I've got a working method for loading files into the memory buffer with a custom byte encoder and decoder I made(not encryption, but good enough for my case). The files byte[] is stored on disk encoded and when I want to play the file, I load it into memory, then decode the byte[] and send the proper mp4 byte[] to the media player's open video from buffer function. This all happens before the playback starts and it works great. However, I have a 4gb stereo 360 file I am trying to do this too. There are obvious memory issues i'm running into with creating a 4gb byte[]. In addition C# has a 2gb object size limit. I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to stream those bytes, similar to how the internet streaming/HLS functionality streams to what I imagine is a byte[] buffer. This would keep me from needing to write the entire video into memory.

I have also used filestream write to re write/decode the bytes on disk of the file I am trying to keep secure. In essence, the file would be stored on disk encoded, and I would decode it prior to being opened by AVPro(via file path/streamingAssets), and then re-encode it. However, once the file is opened by AVPro it is locked by the OS so I cannot re-encode the video for the duration of playback. So this method of doing it doesn't work well.

I understand streaming would solve most of my issues however, this video starts to visually fall apart when too much compression is added, making streaming not much of an option in my case.

If there are any other methods or workarounds you can think of, I would love to hear them and try them out.

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you want to achieve. Yeah C# doesn't really like massive arrays of data in general :( We have a section in the PDF documentation that lists the methods we support for hiding/encrypting data. On the Android platform for example we support a file offset, so you can embed your videos within other files.. Sadly this method is only for Android. I'm afraid I don't have any other solutions at this stage. We will keep this in mind for the future as it sounds like a handy feature. We'll have to do some tests to see which platforms can support opening a file/memory stream that is being updated dynamically.

Thanks,

30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.10.3 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version on our website.

Changes include:

Android / iOS / macOS / tvOS
    • Replaced HTTP header entry text box with key-value list
    iOS / macOS / tvOS
    • No longer possible for a status update to mask other updates, e.g. seeking status updates being masked by buffering status updates
    • Confirmed support for HEVC+Alpha codec (macOS 10.15, iOS 13.0, tvOS 13.0)
    iOS / tvOS
    • Fixed issue with duplicate GUIDs when linking the trial version, and when linking alongside AVPro Movie Capture
    Android
    • Fixed issue where having Android selected as build platform would cause File.Exist to not be called in the editor
    Windows
    • Fixed issue where building with IL2CPP could cause videos to be flipped upside down on Windows

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or preferably to our Github Issue tracker

Thanks,

31. MreEP

MreEP

Hi does this have a UI at the begining of the APP where users could select which video they want to watch, also can it be edited to have premium content?

Thanks

32. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,
    There are several demos included that play back videos, and they could be extended to add a video selection UI. AVPro Video is a video playback plugin for Unity, so we don't include full applications for every possible use case. There is a free trial version for download if you wish to test it and take a look at the demo scenes.
    Thanks,

33. musicdeveloper

musicdeveloper

Hello,
    Our app needs to be able to step a video accurately frame by frame when the video is paused.

AVPro seems to be missing two key features of Unity VideoPlayer that make this possible, which is honestly surprising for a professional video framework. We have truly scoured the Documentation and can't find any way to replicate these functionalities, which do work perfectly in Unity VideoPlayer.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add some equivalents in AVPro?

1. Unity VideoPlayer has a StepForward function that advances the video by one frame:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Video.VideoPlayer.StepForward.html
    Is there any way an equivalent could be added to AVPro?

2. Unity VideoPlayer provides a frameReady event that confirms when a frame is actually displayed. This function returns the frame number that was loaded. AVPro does not seem to have an equivalent?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Video.VideoPlayer-frameReady.html

These seem like core functions for a VideoPlayer... would happily purchase AVPro if there were some equivalents.

Thank you

34. magglemitch

magglemitch

Building to the Oculus Quest and am having trouble getting audio from the videos - seems muted. It's a video with two different audio channels (for different languages) that I assign at the beginning of the scene before the video is played. This has worked on mobile but for some reason not with the Quest. Is there any workaround to get audio working with this or anything I should try out?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  35. chuakc92

chuakc92

I purchase and I'm using the AVPro Video (Windows). I'm using the PC, Mac, Linux standalone building for Windows. Everything works perfectly for the Editor, but when I built it and tested in the exe, the video doesn't play at all. Why is this so?

36. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

That's strange....it certainly should just work. Please can you post the issue on our GitHub issues page so the support team can assist you:

Provide as much details as possible (version numbers etc). Also check the player log to see what errors it is giving. also check that if you build our demo scenes whether those work...

Thanks,

37. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm that's strange....it should work. Did you check the player/error logs to see if it gives any clues?
    Did you try with some of our sample media?
    Otherwise it's best to post the issue with as much details as possible (video specs, version numbers, settings etc) to put GitHub Issues page so that our support teach can investigate:

Thanks,

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Those are great suggests. We're just about to start working on adding an API for frame-stepping. We hope this can be included soon. In the meantime you can still do this by using the standard Seek () methods, and using our conversion helper methods to convert between time and frames in the Helper class, eg:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void SeekToFrame(int frame)
    2.         {
    3.             float frameRate = _mediaPlayer.Info.GetVideoFrameRate();
    4.             if (frameRate > 0f)
    5.             {
    6.                 float time = Helper.ConvertFrameToTimeSeconds(frame, frameRate);
    7.                 _mediaPlayer.Control.Seek(time * 1000f);
    8.             }
    9.         }
    The frameReady event we don't have an equivalent, except for the first frame. This is something we can look at adding support for. In the meantime though you can monitor this manually via polling, eg:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         private int _lastFrameNumber = 0;
    2.         public void CheckForNewFrame()
    3.         {
    4.             int newFrame = _mediaPlayer.TextureProducer.GetTextureFrameCount();
    5.             if (_lastFrameNumber != newFrame)
    6.             {
    7.                 Debug.Log("The texture has been updated");
    8.                 _lastFrameNumber = newFrame;
    9.             }
    10.         }
    I hope that helps for now. We'll look at adding native functionality for your suggestions.

Thanks,

39. magglemitch

magglemitch

The logs aren't giving me anything that would indicate an error being thrown or anything like that. Weird! When doing some debugging - it seems that when I call mp.Control.GetNumAudioChannels() - it gives me a value of -1; where in the editor I am getting 0. Not sure if that means anything?

I'm using Unity 2019.3.1f1 and the latest version of AVPro.

Normal videos will play okay. Is there any videos from the sample media that has multiple audio tracks so I can test that?

I suppose as a work around I could split the video to be muted and play the audio tracks with an audio file. Is there any easy way to link up an audio file with the video?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  40. NathanRH

NathanRH

Could you send us your video, or a cut down version of it?
    We don't have a sample video that includes multiple audio tracks. It should work. Perhaps you could try changing which Video API it's using - via the Platform Specific > Android settings. Multiple audio track videos should be supported on Android. Our support team will be able to help you if you open up an issue here:

41. magglemitch

magglemitch

Thanks Nathan - I've just flicked you a PM with the video.

Tried bot different APIs too - same result!

42. neubacherkuni

neubacherkuni

Problem description:

Hey,
    for a current project I need to run 4 transparent FullHD Videos at the same time, which obviously has bad performance. Thus I tried waiting for the Video Ready Event, which works kind of fine in the Unity Editor. But when I build my Project to Windows, the Event is not firing at all and thus the video is not playing at all...
    Is this a known issue? And if yes is there any way to fix it or work around it? (If set the video to autoplay it does play on a Windowsbuild, so problem is with the event.)

Also I'd be happy for any other tips, that could help increase the performance of running 4 transparent FullHD Videos at the same time, the videos do seem to stutter and flicker lightly even when waiting for the ready event.

Thanks! :)
    If there

Windows 10 PC

Four Videos; Transparent FullHD, so FullHD twice; H264; 25fps

System Information:

AVPro Video: plugin v1.10.2 scripts v1.10.3
    Target Platform: Standalone
    Unity: v2019.3.2f1 WindowsEditor
    OS: Desktop - To Be Filled By O.E.M. (To Be Filled By O.E.M.) - Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit - English
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor - 12 threads - 16316KB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - NVIDIA - Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1] - 2988KB - 16384

43. NathanRH

NathanRH

We've already started talking to you on the issue thread here:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProVideo/issues/321

Thanks,

44. sofianehamza

sofianehamza

hello
    I 've just purchased the asset
    when I try to play a live URL on WebGL, it does not work
    I get this error
    Error: Loading failed. File not found, codec not supported, video resolution too high or insufficient system resources.
    (Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)
    thanks in advance

45. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We will need more details to investigate. Please could you post the issue here with details about the Unity version, Browser version, video specs/URL:
    That is where our support team monitors issues

Thanks

46. HoltEyes

HoltEyes

Problem description:
    Video can`t not work in IOS, Only Sound and video is black.But Windows and Android is good
    IOS
    there are three videos
    System Information:
    AVPro Video: plugin v1.9.14 scripts v1.9.14
    Target Platform: Android
    Unity: v2017.4.35f1 WindowsEditor
    OS: Desktop - B250M-D2V (Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.) - Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit - Chinese
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz - 4 threads - 16272KB
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 - Intel - Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1] - 4196KB - 16384

47. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

Thanks for reporting your issue.

Could you post it here:

Then our support team can review it. You could also try to upgrade to the latest version of the plugin (1.10.3) to see whether that fixes your problem.

The support team will also need to know about the format of the video. Perhaps you could give more details on that, and also whether our included sample videos work if you use them instead of your videos.

Thanks,

48. lightsailvr

lightsailvr

Is there a way for AVPro to read the metadata of an mp4 video file? For example, I'd love to check what the frame rate of the file is, if it's drop/non-drop, and what spatial vr metadata is injected (if any).

49. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,

Currently AVPro Video only supports reading basic metadata, such as width, height, frame-rate, number of tracks. Things like 360/VR/stereo encoding we don't include any ability to parse this currently. This is something we aim to support in the future though.

Thanks,

50. Lintzmaia

Lintzmaia

Problem description:
    After adding AVPro to our project, we started receiveing this error on xCode when the app starts:
    2020-05-01 17:36:38.953099-0400 com[25740:13303909] ** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '** -[AVCaptureSession addInput:] Can't add a nil AVCaptureInput'
    *** First throw call stack:
    (0x19d49896c 0x19d1b1028 0x1a786f300 0x1020b0eb4 0x1020b1508 0x1020b1710 0x1020b18dc 0x10219e600 0x102c01b9c 0x10212bc04 0x102acadb0 0x102508378 0x102511834 0x102518320 0x10251846c 0x10251755c 0x102393c60 0x102458d50 0x102458d84 0x102458f6c 0x1026ceeb0 0x1020a0e38 0x1020a0d24 0x1084d0208 0x1a3f1df24 0x1a3fec608 0x19d3e9dac 0x19d4147c4 0x19d413e90 0x19d40eac8 0x19d40df40 0x1a769e534 0x1a1599580 0x1020999a0 0x19d28ce18)
    libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

This error causes the app to crash.
    If we give camera permission to the app this error never happens and the asset works perfectly.

I would like to find a way to make the app work normally and play videos with AVPro without the user needing to allow camera permissions.

iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 13.3.1

System Information:
    AVPro Video: plugin v1.10.2 scripts v1.10.3
    Target Platform: iPhone
    Unity: v2019.1.1f1 WindowsEditor
    OS: Desktop - X510UR (ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.) - Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit - Portuguese
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz - 4 threads - 8078KB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 930MX - NVIDIA - Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0] - 2010KB - 16384