Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

You can look at our sample scene VideoControls where we have 2 MediaPlayers and ping-pong between them. This allows one MediAPlayer to load the next video while another is displaying the current one. Once the second MediaPlayer has completed loading and has its first frame, we simply alter the MediaPlayer field of the Display component (eg ApplyToMesh or DisplayUGUI) to that MediaPlayer. It is best to reuse 2 MediaPlayers like this than to best constantly creating and destroying MediaPlayers, so perhaps try to make your Prefabs pass in the URL etc for the next video to load into an existing MediaPlayer.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I believe this is all down to the encoding of the video. If you add more keyframes to your video encoding, then this issue will be resolved. Android generally seeks to the nearest keyframe. You could also try switching the Video API from MediaPlayer to ExoPlayer, which has accurate seeking. The seeking though will take a while if you don't have many keyframes in your video.

I hope that helps.

huxley likes this.
  3. Guirao

Guirao

Hi, we are using the trial version of AVPro, for webgl, specifically for chromeapps that run on chromebooks. However im getting the error failed to load video.

The video is in streaming assets, its a mp4 and it works fine on chrome browser.

Nevermind, I added

if (path.StartsWith("http://") || path.StartsWith("https://") || path.StartsWith("file://") || path.StartsWith( "chrome-extension://" ) )

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    AndrewRH likes this.
  4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Ahh great, we'll add that to the next version :) Thanks,

5. PhilippeGer

PhilippeGer

Dear Andrew, In fact i wrote a parser for the Metadata i needed (a custom track containing metadata), but i found out that Unity cannot read an external file mp4, that is not embedded into the app, or in an URL. I am writing a player for mp4, in which it can be possible to choose what file to play from the video directory of a phone. I wonder if this can be resolved using AVPro? i didnt read that part of your documentation yet. THanks for your help. Philippe

6. ccvannorman

ccvannorman

Andrew,
    Hello! sorry if this was already answered, I searched but couldn't find. I have 4 webcams on server machine all getting a different live feed, and I want to stream all 4 of them simultaneously to a client machine and render 4 webcamtextures there. Is there a way to do this using AVProWindows? (just purchased). On Windows 10.

Thanks!!

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

HI! the “Direct show” mode play a 1 hour HTTP Path of the MP4 file, "seek" will crash. Do you have a good solution?

8. cleoag

cleoag

Looks like HEVC stop working on Windows completely in latest update(not in Editor, not in Build) Can you please fix this? We tested on several PCs

9. silverfire330

silverfire330

Can't help other than to note that I've been using LeapMotion and AVPro in the same app across a wide range of Unity versions, and never encountered such an error.

AndrewRH likes this.
  10. Grakou

Grakou

Hey guys, maybe you can help since the developer is not very responsive to my emails: I'm running the latest version (bought iOS only) with the code from the docs:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // Add the event listener (can also do this via the editor GUI)
    2.     MediaPlayer mp;
    3.     mp.Events.AddListener(OnVideoEvent);
    5.     // Callback function to handle events
    6.     public void OnVideoEvent(MediaPlayer mp, MediaPlayerEvent.EventType et, ErrorCode errorCode)
    7.         {
    8.         switch (et)
    9.         {
    10.                        case MediaPlayerEvent.EventType.ReadyToPlay:
    11.                        mp.Control.Play();
    12.                        break;
    13.                        case MediaPlayerEvent.EventType.FirstFrameReady:
    14.                        Debug.Log("First frame ready");
    15.                        break;
    17.                        case MediaPlayerEvent.EventType.FinishedPlaying:
    18.                mp.Control.Rewind();
    19.                break;
    20.         }
    22.         Debug.Log("Event: " + et.ToString());
    23.     }
    When building in Unity 5.6.4 editor, I'm getting this error by the mp.Events.AddListener(OnVideoEvent); line:

I haven't used events listeners before, but the code from the docs should work right away, shouldn't it?

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Greko,

We have already replied to your email a few days ago with a solution. Our office is now closed for the holidays so that is why responses have slowed down.

The code above should certainly work. I copy pasted it into my project and it worked fine. I wonder if perhaps you have an older version somehow of the Interfaces.cs file, or whether you made any changes to it that would affect the event delegate?

Have a look in your project for AVProVideo/Demos/Scripts/SimpleController.cs. That script uses the event handler so you should be able to copy paste that into your project.

Looking at the error message it might be that you have another "MediaPlayerEvent" class in your project, so in which case it may be getting confused as to which one to use. You can fix this by being more explicit and specifying the namespace, eg:

public void OnVideoEvent(MediaPlayer mp, MediaPlayerEvent.EventType et, ErrorCode errorCode)

becomes

public void OnVideoEvent(RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.MediaPlayer mp, RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.MediaPlayerEvent.EventType et, RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.ErrorCode errorCode)

Hope that helps.

12. PhilippeGer

PhilippeGer

Hello,
    I have been trying to find information about how to create few features for a media player that would be able to open the galery on android and IOS, the user could select a video and the media player would load and play the film selected.
    What could be the function to use for creating a browse file- kind of feature.
    thanks

13. wangunity

wangunity

I can set the playback rate in PC to increase the video speed.But when i target the android device, the set playback rate does not work.my avpro vidoe version is 1.3.9. and i can't find implement code in the android about setplaybackrate.

Does it not support set playbackrate in android ?

What should i do if i want to set playback rate in mobile deviece?
    Please help me :(o_O:(:)

14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Yes changing playback rate should be supported on Android.

First of all I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of AVPro Video. 1.3.9 is very old, we're on 1.7.3 now and there have been many many improvements.

Next, check that your device has Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or higher, as this is the minimum requirement for playback rate changes. You should then be able to change the rate of playback.

In our newer versions of the plugin we also have the ability to change to the ExoPlayer API (in the Android settings), so you could also try that as it may perform differently to the default MediaPlayer implementation.

I hope that helps.

15. SystemDevel

SystemDevel

Hi @AndrewRH ,
    I need to play a 8K Video on Windows standalone, i'm using Unity 5.6.2f1 and latest version on AVPro.
    Whats the best configuration to play the video? and best codek?
    If i select DirectShow API the video goes to Black. whats the difference bettwen directshow and Media Foundation?

Thanks you.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

You have a few options. The main ones are:

1) Encode your video using the Hap codec (inside mov container). for this you'll have to select the DirectShow codec for Windows. The video file will be huge and require a fast SSD for playback.
    2) Encode your video to H.265 (HEVC) and then use Media Foundation API. You will be required to have an Nvidia 10xx series GPU, and you may have to be careful about which version of Windows 10 you run, as some people have reported that the 8K playback no longer works on some of the newer versions (eg Fall Update), but we haven't yet confirmed this. You will also need to build your app to 64-bit as 8k decoding isn't supported on 32-bit. This would be my preferred option.

DirectShow is an old legacy video API and Media Foundation is meant to be it's replacement. Media Foundation generally has better out of the box support for modern codecs, but DirectShow often offers more flexibility because there are 3rd party codecs that can be installed (eg LAV Filters) which adds support for a wide array of codecs.

I hope that helps. Cheers,

17. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm afraid this is beyond the scope of support for our AVPro Video plugin. If you look at the FAQ section in the PDF documentation however there are some tips for making a file browser for iOS. Basically you have to either use a 3rd party plugin or write your own code to expose the file browser...

Thanks,

PhilippeGer likes this.
  18. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm afraid there isn't anything we can do about this. Microsoft removed the HEVC codec during their last update to Windows (Fall Update), and now require you to install a 3rd party plugin called HEVC Video Extension. Once you install this and reboot it should work again.

Thanks,

19. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmmm I don't. Are you using any 3rd party codecs (such as LAV Filters / K-Lite)? Have you tried without these by uninstalling them? I would recommend trying Media Foundation API option if you're just streaming MP4 over HTTP....

If you're still having problems please email us more details, such as the URL you're streaming, the crash logs etc..

thanks,

20. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.7.4 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version / demos on our website.

Changes include:

WebGL
    • Added support for URL’s that start with “chrome-extension://”
    • Fixed recent regression causing video to not render when not rendering anything else
    iOS
    • Plugin rebuild with XCode 8.3.3 to work around linker missing framework issue when building Unity apps using XCode 8 and previous versions of the plugin that were compiled with XCode 9
    • Fix to the ApplyToMaterial component when using YCbCr mode so the default texture gets displayed correctly when the MediaPlayer is closed
    General
    • Added support for Facebook’s “360-capture-sdk” cubemap layout to the CubemapCube component
    Thanks and happy new year everyone! :cool:

21. SystemDevel

SystemDevel

Videos are about 10-12 Minutes. We have "normal" SSD :) not sure if is fast.

The computer has 2 of GTX 1060 6 GB DDR5 and Windows 10 pro 64 bits (Fall Update..... :(:() I try this option and tell you if there is any problem.

Thansk You!!! And Merry XMas.

22. SystemDevel

SystemDevel

:mad::mad:
    I can confirm that on Fall Update h.265 not working on Media Foundation... If i change to DirectShow Works, it's normal?

https://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-fall-creators-update-ditches-hevc-h-265-codec-83143/

After googling and googling.....
    To solve my problem:
    Uninstall "HEVC Video Extensión" on Applications.
    Re-Install "HEVC video Extensión" from Microsoft download page. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hevc-video-extension/9n4wgh0z6vhq

This work form me. Now i can run h.265 on Unity app with Media Foundation.

thanks you.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    AndrewRH likes this.
  23. Grakou

Grakou

Yes, thank you Andrew for your mail. In case anyone else stumbles upon such situation, Andrew's solution fixed the problem!

By the way: has any of you guys any idea of how to avoid that black screen when running one video after another in the same media player? Using two media players with two meshes would do the trick, but I'm looking for some less time and memory consuming solution.

24. kevincfy

kevincfy

Hi there!

Been testing out the full trial of your asset (have already bought it for iOS and Android, currently prototyping a UWP app) and need to read a livestream from a local server.

For testing I'm broadcasting a UDP stream from OBS. Does AVPro support UDP streams and if not are there plans to add support for them in the future?

Failing that, if I was to livestream to youtube could AVPro read a live streamed youtube URL?

25. vice39

vice39

This asset states that is supports 8K video "on supported hardware".
    What is this supported hardware? Is there a list somewhere?

26. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

You need the right combination of video codec and decoding hardware. There are basically 2 options:

1) Use H.265 (HEVC) codec and an NVidia 10xx series GPU. This is our recommended option. We have however found that some version of Windows 10 break HEVC/8K decoding, so this needs checking.
    2) Use the Hap codec with a powerful CPU and very fast SSD (ideally PCIe or NVME). The downside of this approach is the very large file size and long encoding time.

I hope that helps,

27. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Unfortunately local UDP streaming is not supported. The only type of streaming we support is direct file (eg MP4), or adaptive (eg HLS or MPEG-DASH). So you would need to run something that would convert your UDP stream into one of these types of streams. I'm pretty sure there is software that can do this...probably FFMPEG command-line tool at least can do this.
    As for YouTube - we don't support streaming from a YouTube URL, because first of all this URL is just a webpage, and second there are some ways that you can parse the HTML and Javascript to extract the HLS/DASH stream URL, but this is complicated and is against the YouTube terms and conditions.

Thanks,

kevincfy likes this.
  28. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Grako,

Glad to hear that the solution worked.
    As for making a playlist system, there are a few options. First you could look at our 2 sample scenes:
    02_Demo_imGui.unity - this sample scene uses 1 MediaPlayer and does a fade to black between video loads to help make the transition smooth.
    03_Demo_VideoControls.unity - here we use 2 MediaPlayer components and a single display component. One MediaPlayer loads the next video while the other plays the current video. Once the new video has loaded we swap the MediaPlayer component that the display component uses, making the swap seamless.

You could also just modify our display components (eg DisplayUGUI / ApplyToMesh etc) so that you make a copy of the last video frame (using Graphics.Blit to blit to a temporary texture) and then display that while the new video loads...

I hope that helps. We hope to improve this in the future and offer a component that is already set up for this.

Thanks,

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for reporting your solution :)

30. T-Pozantzis

T-Pozantzis

Hi there Renderheads, happy new year,
    I did a client project in April 2017 using AVPro and everything worked fine. I used it to view 360 Stereo Top-Bottom 4096x2304 mp4 videos. I have updated Unity and AVPro to the latest versions and now the Stereo Videos don't work properly. I see a very distorted video, as if the video is double the height, and I get no stereo effect.
    I tried to set up a simple scene with your "360SphereVideo" Prefab, and I loaded the mp4, set the camera in the center of the sphere and I get the same problem.
    Is there a known issue I should be aware of?
    What changed from April until now to make the videos in the project not work any more?
    Thanks

31. T-Pozantzis

T-Pozantzis

It appears that it was the metadata (FAQ #8). My complaint is that although I read the manual once months ago, I had to read it again to find that small footnote.
    Cheers

32. wangunity

wangunity

Hi, i find the playback rate has a range value between -4 and 4 , when i modify the min and max value both editor and mediaplayer script, nothing big difference happend. i think in the native code the playback rate was limit to -4 and 4.
    Is it possible that i can custom modify the playback rate value . for example, 10 times, 20 times....?

33. vntana_legacy

vntana_legacy

Hi there! I'm currently trying to alpha pack a video and apply to material but it isn't working. When I replace Apply to Material with Display IMGUI, the packing seems to work (albeit, slowly). The shader for the material is transparent. I've tried re-adding the Apply to Material as a new component but that didn't help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

34. Eric-Hackathorn

Eric-Hackathorn

I have a M3U8 playlist I want to stream to a WebGL application using AVPro. The stream works fine in both the Unity editor as well as in a test web page:

http://video-dev.github.io/hls.js/demo/?src=https://player.vimeo.com/external/248018960.m3u8?s=a052d25b9718c52dc19a0e5cd370369cae613eb1&enableStreaming=true&autoRecoverError=true&enableWorker=true&dumpfMP4=false&levelCapping=-1&defaultAudioCodec=undefined

However, when I try to play the stream from my Unity WebGL application I get "Error: Loading failed. Codec not supported or video resolution too high or insufficient system resources." This is on a Windows 10 machine running Chrome version 63.0.3239.84. I've also tried various WebGL memory size settings under player settings. Suggestions?

35. NGC6543

NGC6543

Hello, I tried to use the plugin on a macOS Unity 2017.3.0p1. It works fine in the editor, but the build failed on the postbuild stage.
    It shows a message that it only supports StandaloneOSXIntel64. But on Unity2017.3 there is no longer an option to select x86/x64 or universal anymore. I also tried to test with an empty project with only AVPro, and built one of its demo scene. And the same result. Build failed, and the built app file runs but couldn't play videos(DllNotFoundException).

System : iMac 5k(late 2015), Unity2017.3.0p1

++
    Also tested on the Unity2017.2.0p3. It has the architecture selection option. I selected the x86/64 option and the build error no longer shown. but the built app still threw DllNotFoundException.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  36. livelikevr

livelikevr

Is VTT subtitle support for live video stream in your roadmap?

37. wangunity

wangunity

Hi, I found a problem when to use seek in android, my another Unity audiosource background music will be disappear, after the video seek operate finished , my background music will restore , I had set the video muted to true, do you know how to solve this probme ?

38. neilpurvey

neilpurvey

Hi,

I posted a support email to Renderheads just before xmas 2017, hoping for a reply back about an issue that is very important for us:

We have been experiencing some inconsistently rendered video frames when using the Hardware Decoding option within the AVPro plugin. The symptom is that when we playback using hardware decoding there is a color shift applied to the frame making it slightly darker than normal, in our use case it is important that there are no data side affects from playback. We really need the support of hardware decoding for performance so this is a very important feature for us and needed to deploy new versions of our Unity plugin now and looking into the future.

For your information, we are using Media Foundation as the Video playback API within Windows 10 64bit.

Whether this is a bug with hardware playback or a symptom of the way it decodes frames it would be great to hear if there is a solution to this problem. Presently we cannot use the feature because of the data loss I mentioned before.

Any follow up on this issue from the Renderheads guys would be great! Thanks!

Neil

39. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Neil,

We did send two replies to your email (20th December and 5th Jan), but didn't hear back from you. Did you not get our emails?

Are you using linear or gamma color-space with Unity?

If you're using linear then the shift may be down so the conversion in the shader code. Otherwise it is likely to be just how the hardware decodes it and slightly out of our control. They may be using a slightly different YUV to RGB conversion for example.... It also may be decoding the video will full or limited range... Some videos dont' have this information encoded within them, so the decoder has to guess which colour matrix and range to use. You may want to try specifying these in the encoder as it may help the decoder to render the result better. Many players don't decode properly (we've even seen this on YouTube where it will usually decode to a limited range (16..235) even when the video specifies full range.

Let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

40. nsc_creative

nsc_creative

Hi

This might be a stupid question as I'm very new to Mac development but when I try and build my project I get the error message.

AVPro Video doesn't support target StandaloneOSXIntel (32-bit), please use StandaloneOSXIntel64 (64-bit) or remove this PostProcessBuild script
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.Editor.PostProcessBuild:OnPostProcessBuild(BuildTarget, String) (at Assets/AVProVideo/Scripts/Editor/PostProcessBuild.cs:21)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Now I think I remember in the olden days there was an option to use 32 or 64 bit Mac build but now I don't see that option any more. The only Mac build I can do is Mac OSX

Am I missing something really obvious. Any help would be very appreciated.

Happy new year

Phil

NGC6543 likes this.
  41. neilpurvey

neilpurvey

Hi Andrew!

Thanks so much for the reply, the two emails you sent went to the void apparently (not in spam or anything).

We actually have to support both linear and gamma space as our users might use either, although we could advise our users to target a specific colour space if it helps the cause for a specific project. Saying that, I have been checking both colour spaces with both media foundation and direct show playback and the results are still the same, there is a colour shift between hardware and non-hardware playback using media foundation playback. However, there does not appear to be the a difference between hardware and non-hardware playback using Direct show _but_ we still suspect a colour shift in the frames played back.

We need to do some additional analysis using synthetic test data to quantify the shift and do a full comparison, I will get back to you when we have more info this week. This issue has now been prioritized as we have a user that will need this resolved soon.

We know of the weird differences between different players you describe from developing our own playback pipeline - its a bit of a nightmare ;)

We really appreciate the support, I will get back to you soon and hopefully we can get this resolved.

Thanks!

Neil

42. dj0002

dj0002

Hi,

I recently switched over our video stream server to serve video over HTTPS.
    I thought this would require a one-letter change to the AVProVideo URL to get it working on the client side, but AVProVideo gives me the error below:

"[AVProVideo] Error: Loading failed. Codec not supported or video resolution too high or insufficient system resources."

I can connect to our streaming server using VLC player with no issues, so I'm not sure what's going wrong.
    The error doesn't have much info to tell me what's wrong. Are there extra steps required when going from HTTP to HTTPS?

43. SystemDevel

SystemDevel

Hi @AndrewRH
    I have some problem, On Editor i can play h.265 video on mediafoundation and hardware decoding. But when i build for standalone x64 bits and run it the app open video with DirectShow.

What's i'm doing wrong?

Thanks you

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  44. Eric-Hackathorn

Eric-Hackathorn

Is there a chance other direct replies have been lost? Not to be a pest, but my Vimeo Pro trial is about to expire and with it my testing link for post #2135.

45. ab_salazar

ab_salazar

Hello Andrew!

Do you know why after playing a lot of videos from the streaming assets folder, the player starts freezing? I use CloseVideo() whenever I stop a video or before I load a new one.

My app is running on Windows 10, and I have the hardware decoding option enabled.

46. NGC6543

NGC6543

+1 bump. Same problem here.

47. Garrett_orious

Garrett_orious

I'm going to go ahead and second (third?) the mac build problem.
    If I do as suggested and remove the PostProcess script, the error does go away. (Of course)
    However, It still fails to build on OSX.

I suspect It's not placing the dll's in the proper spot, or possibly attempting to load the wrong ones.

I tried simply copy pasting the dll into the root directory of the build, and that made the onscreen error disappear, but still no video. Pretty annoying for a 500$ plugin.

Hopefully the log gives someone a clue, I'm not super versed in Mac builds.

Attached Files:

• Log.txt
      File size:
      20.2 KB
      Views:
  48. SunriseRH

SunriseRH

Hi Neil,

Additionally, this might also be due to the colour space standard (eg. rec 709). I had a look at your video and couldn't find any metadata on this, so the decoder might just be guessing the standard. You could also try encoding your video with this information in your metadata and see if that helps.

With regards to DirectShow, the hardware encoding option doesn't actually apply to it I believe. For hardware encoding on DirectShow, you will need to set the decoder settings externally to do this, depending on the filter you are using (LAVFilters for examples allows for you to choose various different hardware decoding options).

Kind Regards,

49. SunriseRH

SunriseRH

Hi,

I believe it should just work. What platform is this on? Also can you send us an email with the stream url so we can test things on our side?

Kind Regards,

50. SunriseRH

SunriseRH

Hi,

Are you running your standalone build on the same machine? If not, what OS is the other machine running? MediaFoundation only works for Windows 8.1+, and it defaults to DirectShow for windows versions lower than that.

Kind Regards,