Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.7.0 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version / demos on our website.

Changes include:

Facebook Audio 360
    • Added Facebook Audio 360 support for spatial audio in VR. Currently we have support for Windows desktop (Rift, Vive etc) and Android (Cardboard, GearVR, Daydream etc). Uses MKV videos with Opus audio tracks encoded using Facebook Audio 360
    Windows Desktop
    • Added Facebook Audio 360 support
    • Added “Alpha Channel Hint” option to DirectShow for cases where alpha channel is needed - currently required by Lagarith codec
    • Added native NV12 support for legacy D3D9 with DirectShow - this a performance optimisation, but also fixes some issues when using subtitle rendering DirectShow filters (such as DirectVobSub) which would cause the image to become flipped
    • Added Hap Q support for legacy D3D9 with DirectShow
    • Fixed a memory leak when an invalid Hap video (non multiple of 4 resolution) was loaded
    • Fixed an issue where AudioOutput wouldn’t redirect audio to another device (eg Rift Audio) for streaming media
    • Fixed “Low Latency” option so it is actually used
    Windows UWP
    • Fixed “Low Latency” option so it is actually used
    Android
    • Added Facebook Audio 360 support (requires ExoPlayer API)
    • Added ExoPlayer video API option which can offer improved format support, including MPEG-DASH and in the future will include more control over streaming video
    iOS / tvOS
    • The YCbCr optimisation is now enabled by default
    WebGL
    General
    • Added new frame resampler option which can be used to get smoother playback by buffering frames and presenting them at the right interval. This feature does use more memory and is still in beta
    • Fixed a bug where the FinishedPlaying event didn’t fire when a second stream was played on the same MediaPlayer
    • Fixed a bug where Instantiating ApplyToMaterial would cause a null exception
    • Fixed compile error in Unity 2017.2 related to mobile multi-threading
    • Fixed warnings in Unity 2017.2 related to API changes to playModeStateChanged
    • Changed shader line endings to Unix to prevent mixed line ending warnings
    • Inspector UI improvements
    • Documentation updates
    Thanks,

GamerPET and LostPanda like this.
  2. dooyul_park

dooyul_park

Hello, we're trying to make AVPro's streaming 360 video start from higher texture quality. Currently it's very blocky at start.

What's the best way to achieve this with AVPro?

Is there a way to make AVPro paused while it's buffering and play it to start from high quality 360 video? When I tried to pause a while and play, the video quality didn't get improved. It seemed like it wasn't buffering when it's paused.

Or can we just download all the video before playing?

3. LostPanda

LostPanda

thanks ,can you tell me how do that? thanks again!

4. 785130190

Thanks a lot!

5. GamerPET

GamerPET

1. I'm not touching scripts or shaders. I did a new project and I downloaded the AVPro from the store.
    2. Yes, I did got the new Windows Update.

3. Here is a video:

https://streamable.com/odc9u

6. Cambesa

Cambesa

We would like to download multiple videos if the internet speed is high enough, so the next videos are ready to instantly play when you switch to that video. To make it seem like there are no loading times.

Kind regards,

Yorick

7. nwxp

nwxp

Hello @AndrewRH ,

wonderful work as always from you and your team.

I couldn't understand from your changelog if we could actually stream ambisonic to Android device with MPEG-DASH ?

Nicolas,
    Team Nablaware

8. LighthouseVR

LighthouseVR

Hi. Good evening.

I am trying a video in android with the OES path, but I keep having the following error.

"OPENGL NATIVE PLUG-IN ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION: Operation illegal in current state."

Does anyone have more information about how to use the OES fast path? (Of course I have set the option in the media player and the correct shader in the sphere)

Thank you very much

9. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Version of Unity? Version of AVPro Video? Device model?

10. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

This isn't something we've tested. It might work, because the extension is just on the audio component, but will require the audio stream to be in Opus codec (encoded with Audio 360). If you do test it, we would be interested to know the result.

Thanks,

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Okay, well that is something you could write scripts to do. I'm afraid this isn't something that we provide functionality for. We are going to try to expose more of the streaming controls in the future though, so this might help you.

Thanks,

Cambesa likes this.
  12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

There is currently no way to do this. This is just how some platforms do things. We do aim to add more streaming control in a future version so hopefully this will help you then. Look our for version 1.7.2!

It sounds like you're streaming adaptive content, so downloading it wouldn't be straight forward, as you would have to parse the manifest and download all of the individual files. But yes it should be possible.

Thanks,

13. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Ummm, you want me to tell you how to write a network video syncing system? This isn't a very easy topic...

Generally you have a master video player PC and the rest are slaves. The slaves will query what time the master is at. You have to also take into account the network latency, but hopefully on a LAN it is very minimal. Still it can be useful to try to take a timing of this.

Then you need to keep the slaves in sync with the master time which is broadcast to all slaves all of the time. If you want it to be frame accurate then this is very tricky. Generally you need to have a buffer of a few frames already decoded and then show one of those, instead of dynamically trying to seek and decode the exact position of the master.

If you don't want frame accurate then it can be much simpler with the slaves just listening for Play Pause and Seek commands and doing the same.

It's a lot of work to implement though.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Thanks,

LostPanda likes this.
  14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Well your video looks correct. It seems to be handling the top-bottom video correctly. This seems to tell me that it is a problem with your video. It may be that it contains stereo meta-data that needs to be removed (see the FAQ in the PDF documentation for steps to do this).

Thanks,

15. GamerPET

GamerPET

Thanks Andrew. I will look into it.

16. YKG

YKG

Hi,

A problem occurred during the upgrade of AVProVideo v1.7.0.
    The development environment is Windows 7, Unity 4.6.6.f2 and AVProVideo v1.6.12.
    Compilation will be smooth.
    However, during the execution of my program, a problem will occur in WindowsMediaPlayer.InitialisePlatform ().
    The error message is as follows.

[AVProVideo] Failed to load DLL. % MyComputerPath% / Assets / Plugins / x86 / AVProVideo.dll
    ---
    [AVProVideo] You may need to copy the Audio360 DLL into the root folder of your project (the folder above Assets)
    ---
    [AVProVideo] WindowsEditor Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz (8112 MB) Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz Windows 7 Service Pack 1 .7601) 64bit. Using null media player!

This may be due to interference with other DLLs in my project,
    I just installed AVProVideo v1.7.0 on a blank project.
    However, I was able to check the above error message.

Looking at the code, it seems to happen when loading Audio360.dll from within x86 / AVProVideo.dll.
    I copied the Audio360.dll outside the Assets folder as instructed in the error message and found that it works well.
    When I build the Standalone version in this state, it still outputs an error message that looks for Audio360.

How should I solve it?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. LighthouseVR

LighthouseVR

Thank you very much for your anwser and sorry for the lack of information, I'm in unity 2017.1.1p3, latest AVPro video, updated yesterday and in a samsung galaxy S6 (altough I'm getting it in all the devices I tried it, S7 and S8).

Also, I have in Unity the Auto Graphics API, in order to make it select the proper API for the device.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  18. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

For your build copy the Auduo360.dll to the same level as your EXE.

This requirement for copying is only for older versions of Unity and we will try to automate it in the next update

Thanks,

19. Cambesa

Cambesa

Do you suggest we add it into the AVPro scripts or do we need to extend ExoPlayer(open source) for android and try something similar for apple? I was also thinking of a way to internally simulate a livestream but that might double the data transfer.

Kind regards,

Yorick

20. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

So this is a feature that worked in the old Unity versions, then some changes in Unity broke it so we started this thread:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...er-compilation-failure-on-some-mobile-devices

Then they fixed it. It should be fixed in 2017.1.1, and I've heard people using 2017.2.0 saying that it works there..

Perhaps you could try using that latest patch update for 2017.1.1 which is Unity 2017.1.2p2, or failing that 2017.2.0?

Thanks,

21. phileday

phileday

Hi

Great to see the new update. I'm looking forward to trying out the the new 360 degree sound options. I do have one problem though which is now evident in this new version. I have a video that worked in previous versions of the plugin but now throws up an error.

[AVProVideo] Error: Loading failed. Codec not supported or video resolution too high or insufficient system resources.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.MediaPlayer:UpdateErrors() (at Assets/Standard Assets/ScriptsAVProVideo/Components/MediaPlayer.cs:1569)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProVideo.MediaPlayer:Update() (at Assets/Standard Assets/ScriptsAVProVideo/Components/MediaPlayer.cs:946)

This is when using Media Foundation. As I mentioned this works in Media Foundation in previous versions. Have you instigated a test for compatible videos before loading? Here is a link to the video that throws up this error:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu32eu6sl2lcqi7/Big Buck Bunny.avi?dl=0

I'm going to hunt round your code for a fix but I thought I'd mention it as it's something I'll need to resolve before I can release an new version of my player Whirligig.

All the best

Phil

22. LHAppri

LHAppri

Yes I installed the HEVC Video Extension - I was the one who let you know it was needed! Any idea when you'll get the Fall Update?

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I have the Windows Fall Update now and can confirm the behaviour. I've tried to find out exactly what is going on. All I can tell is that the update removes the old HEVC decoder from Windows and then you have to download that extension, but the extension (as you found out) doesn't work with native Windows apps, until a HEVC video has been loaded in a UWP application (such as Movie and TV).
    Currently talking to Microsoft try see what can be done.
    Thanks,

24. LostPanda

LostPanda

thank you very much. I understand some, but it is not that simple. Is there any support for adding future versions?

25. Handsome-Wisely

Handsome-Wisely

I want to play movie on webgl, so I use this plugin. but when I release to webgl, it not play the movie I selected, it play a movie like this:
    avpro.jpg
    In editor mode it is this:
    avpro2.jpg
    why? thank you!

26. Xuejia

Xuejia

Hi,I try to play a video,but failed
    [AVProVideo] Error: Loading failed. Codec not supported or video resolution too high or insufficient system resources.
    upload_2017-11-21_15-54-47.png
    Here is the video information
    Caused by the IV50?How can i play this video on Win10.My firend said he could it on Win7.
    Wait your message

27. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

So the problem is that your version of AVPro Video is too old. WebGL support was only added in version 1.4.0 but you're using 1.3.9.

Please upgrade to the latest version (1.7.0) for free via the Unity Asset Store.

Thanks,

28. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

So Intel Indeo is a very old codec and isn't included with Windows 10.

If you need support for it then you need to install LAV Filters on your system, and make sure to set the Video API to "DirectShow" in the MediaPlayer > Platform Specific > Windows section.

Or transcode the video to a more common format such as H.264 MP4.

Thanks,

29. Cambesa

Cambesa

ExoPlayer seems to support FMP4(Fragmented mp4), I also see thinks like a ChunkSource interface, DashChunkSource and SmoothStreamingChunckSource classes, I'm not sure but this might be what we need.

AndrewRH likes this.
  30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Cool, did you try using it in version 1.7.0? Those should all be exposed :)

remy_rm and Cambesa like this.
  31. fefete92

fefete92

Hello, good morning. I'm having problems with android running the stereo of the video, it always shows it in Mono although I have the tick for stereo packing in the video. I'm in unity 2017.1.1p3, Using the previous version of AVPRO in a samsung galaxy S7. In PC, Rift, the same configuration, shows the video in Stereo-

32. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm that's strange... Can you make sure that the VR stereo mode is set to multi-pass and not single-pass?
    Thanks,

33. LighthouseVR

LighthouseVR

Sure, VR Stereo is on Single-pass, I changed it to multi-pass, and it worked, thank you very much. is there any limitations on Android that it can't play Stereo on Multi-Pass that I need to know? I am a bit concerned about the performance in mobile devices. Thank you very much

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I don't think stereo or single pass will make much difference if you're just rendering simple geometry (like a sphere + UI). It makes more of a difference when you're rendering a complex 3D where with lots of geometry and materials...

Thanks,

35. nwxp

nwxp

Hello Andrew,

I'm trying to get AVPro Video to play 360 mpd file, but I only get black screen.

Here's a screen capture of my setup : upload_2017-11-22_16-24-5.png

I'm using Windows 10 / HTC Vive.

I send mdp stream to a local nginx server with ffmpeg command from macbook pro.

I can PM you my nginx conf and ffmpeg command if you need it but I cannot share it publicly.

I have also tried HLS but it's more or less the same problem (still black screen but with HLS I don't even get "1920x1080@30").

Is there something I need to add to ffmpeg/nginx to get it working ?

EDIT : I should add that my setup is working perfectly with VLC.

Nicolas Léotier
    Team Nablaware

36. phileday

phileday

Hi

I reported an issue a few posts back relating to Media Foundation and it no longer playing a video it previously did. I wondered if you had any thoughts on it.

Phil

37. Cambesa

Cambesa

Try switching to Direct Show instead of Media Foundation, I had a similar problem on android but switching to ExoPlayer worked.

Kind regards,

Yorick

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Phil,

Sorry I missed your previous post. I tested your video here on two systems (including the new Windows 1709) and both worked fine in both Media Foundation and DirectShow.

I'm not sure why you're unable to play the video. I guess you first need to work out whether it is an issue with the video or audio. I would try stripping out the video using ffmpeg command:

ffmpeg -i input.avi -an -vcodec copy output.avi

See if that works. If it is a problem with the audio track (which is AC-3 Dolby) then it might be related to how your audio device is configured in Windows (number of speakers, sample rate etc). If it still doesn't work then I'm not sure, because Media Foundation play it just fine for me.

You might also want to double check your setting in the Windows Platform Specific section, making sure that things like Use Unity Audio and Use Facebook Audio 360 are not selected, as I guess those could be causing issues.

Let me know what you find and if I can help you further with this.

Thanks,

39. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Nicolas,

Naitve MPD support in Windows 10 should be there, but they may not yet support all of the MPD features. Which version of Windows 10 are you using (see via winver.exe)? I wonder if you have any options to simplify the stream.

Is it a live stream? I know live stream is quite a bit more complex and I'm not sure if that is supported.

HLS should work, but maybe if it is a live stream then that could be the same issue.

It's not ideal, but one option is to switch to DirectShow API and install LAV Filters. That should at least get it working as their implementation is often way ahead of Microsofts, but it isn't ideal for distribution I know.

Thanks,

40. nwxp

nwxp

@AndrewRH
    Windows version is 1703 (OS 150633726).

MPD and HLS are live stream indeed.
    MPD is working fine when it's not livestreaming, HLS won't work either way.

I also need spatial audio, if I understand correctly I need MediaFoundation to get it to work.

@Cambesa
    I need it to work on Windows 10 only but thank you for your answer.

41. Cambesa

Cambesa

You can switch to Direct Show on windows instead of Media Foundation, check the mediaplayer component. I just said android because I got a similar problem on android so a similar solution might work.

42. Cambesa

Cambesa

Yes, we updated to 1.7 and exoplayer seems to play the example videos fine. However when I spoke to one of our server programmers he told me he specifically needed the OpenVideoFromBuffer function because we want to manage our caches/buffers ourselves. Seeing it is already supported in Windows, do you have a timeframe for when this will be supported in Android, and possibly IOS. We are hoping to release somewhere in January and having this available to us would be great.

Using Mpeg-DASH or Fragmented MP4 is an alternative to a buffering system but we want to make our own buffering system because there are a couple of other things we want to integrate which are not supported when playing the video directly from ExoPlayer. The idea is to send all data through one connection instead of multiple. For example sending the video and the asset bundles through one connection and only send the video part to the mediaplayer.

Kind regards,

Yorick

PS: If it's easier for you to communicate over skype we can do that as well

43. johankasperi_dn

johankasperi_dn

Hi! Thanks for a really awesome asset! I would like to get Audio Redirection and Audio Spatialization running on iOS and Android for both streamed and downloaded media. From what I understand this isn't possible with AVPro in its current state? Is supporting this something you plan to develop in the near future?

Thanks!
    Johan

44. phileday

phileday

Hi

I've examined it a bit more and discovered that the issue only occurs when "Use Unity Audio" is on. If you switch that off it works. I've done this in one of your demo scenes and just changed the video to the Big Buck Bunny.avi and switched "Use Unity Audio" on and the issue happens again.

If it helps I could upload a Unity project all set up so you can see the error yourself on your system.

All the best and thanks for the support.

Phil

Just in case I've not mentioned before:

Unity3D version: Unity3d 2017.2.of3
    AVpro Plugin Version: Version 1.7.0
    Windows Version: Creator Fall update (I orginally tried the preivous version of Windows 10 and I've updated to the Creative Fall update for Windows MR, both don't work)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  45. creativewax

creativewax

Hi, I have a problem that might of come up for others or answered before, I have a project thats creating lots of different assets on the fly, and at points I have around 5 media player components being created and playing 1080 video files, all different files, I have had no problem with any of this whilst developing on my Mac, but now testing on Windows 10, on a very powerful PC, I am having lots of issues with some of the video players never playing content, and there seems to be no consistency between which ones do and don't play, the odd occasion they'll all play, some times 2 or 3, totally random, I have installed Unity on the PC and logged out the events and I am getting no errors, but its saying the videos are stalled? I literally have no idea how to get around this as its totally random when it does or doesn't happen, and I don't know why my old Mac laptop is fine with it all? thanks in advance, Stu

46. creativewax

creativewax

right so whats weird is that if I put instances of the media players all over my scene and point them to the same files and have loads of things going on they play fine, if I do it through code they don't? is there a preferred way of doing it in code that I am missing? I have tried both pure coded and also coding a prefab reference? any help or pointers would be ace

47. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro Video version?
    Unity version?
    Video specs?

Thanks,

48. creativewax

creativewax

Hi Andy,

so its Unity 5.6.4, just updated to the latest plugin, think 1.7.0? Video specs, they are all MP4s, all 1080.

after some more testing last night, if I put five video players in the scene and set the videos manually on each of them they all start no worries, if I do the same in code its random if they play or not, the video path is sent to the media player as I can see it in the inspector, but its never properly loaded it by the looks of it, it just has a white square in the preview, where as the ones that are playing have the proper preview?

49. Cambesa

Cambesa

Hi all,

When calling OpenVideoFromBuffer, the audio plays but the screen stays black, the debug log shows:
    [AVProVideo] Using playback path: DirectShow (0x0@0.00)
    Does that mean that it didn't get the resolution and framerate from the buffer and thus doesn't show anything but only plays sound? We are using H.265 decoding on 4K resolution with the K-lite codec pack installed.
    Videos that aren't opened from a buffer but loaded by an absolute path or url show this:
    [AVProVideo] Using playback path: DirectShow (3840x1920@30.00)

Im using a WebClient construction to save the file from internet to a buffer:

public IEnumerator LoadVideoFromBuffer(string url)
    {
    using (WebClient client = new WebClient())
    {
    videoBuffer = client.DownloadData(url);
    if (videoBuffer != null)
    {
    MediaPlayer mediaPlayer = Globals.User.currentMediaPlayer;
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(1f);
    mediaPlayer.OpenVideoFromBuffer(videoBuffer);
    }
    client.DownloadFileCompleted += DownloadCompleted;
    }
    }

I deliberately put the WaitForSeconds(1f); in to give it just a little bit more time and chance to get the resolution and framerate but it doesn't work.

Any ideas how I can perhaps pass the resolution and framerate by hand or another way to solve this problem?

Kind regards,

Yorick

50. creativewax

creativewax

right, so if I change the video player to DirectShow, it doe not play as well but works in all instances, not ideal but at least its a way forward for now :(