Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Awesome :)

2. robewarrior

robewarrior

Hey, awesome plugin!
    I have a quick question about the HLS streaming: is there any way to manually switch the resolution? Can't seem to get it to play back my source at highest quality

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks :) I'm afraid there isn't, the way our code is written relies on the operating system controlling the resolution switches. We would need to do a big code rewrite to support this feature. It is on the list though.

If you're using Windows 10 then we found that the monitor DPI can affect the HLS stream switching and can prevent it from getting to the highest resolution. For example I run a 4K monitor and Windows sets the DPI scaling to around 150%, which prevents HLS streams switching to 4K. As soon as I set the DPI scaling to 100% this issue went away. That's the only suggestion I have at the moment...

Thanks,

4. damqui

damqui

Hello.
    I have Unity 5.2.3f1 and AVPro Version 1.5.20, and I have problems to display a video in android.

In the class MediaPlayer in the function OpenVideoFromFile the line Helper.LogInfo("Opening " + fullPath + " (offset " + fileOffset + ")", this); gives me this info:

[AVProVideo] Opening https://loqueescribo.blob.core.windows.net/app-data/videotutorial_Loquecuento.mp4 (offset 0)

So apparently the path is OK. However, in the same class the function UpdateErrors gives me this:
    [AVProVideo] Error: LoadFailed

Can you help me with this problem please?

5. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

I uploaded the file to my own server and it worked fine, but it didn't work from yours. The Android log says that the problem is that the server doesn't support partial file requests - so basically it's a server configuration issue. It works in Windows though but it takes quite a long time to load - I think this is because it has to download the FULL file before it can start playback (but when I upload it to my server it can start playback immediately). I guess on Android it has a smaller buffer size for how much it can download at once.

Thanks,

damqui likes this.
  6. damqui

damqui

Thank you for answering so soon.
    So, do I have to put the video in streamingassets or another folder instead of loading it from my server?

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes you can use StreamingAssets, or another server.

8. draky

draky

Hey AndrewRH,

I am downloading a AssetBundle from an external server, and I was hoping to play a .mp4 movie by accessing the AssetBundle mp4 file (It wont have a location on disk anywhere apart from the bundle itself).

For example:

Object videoFile = AssetBundle.LoadAssest("mp4Video");

Is there a way to play 'Object videoFile' without it actually having a disk location?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Playing videos from a memory location is not supported. The video either needs to be a streaming URL or a path to a file on disk. So if you wanted to include the file in an AssetBundle (via TextAsset resource probably) then you would need to write the file to disk in order to read it. Also note that the Android platform does have a file offset feature which allows videos to be played from within larger files, which can be handy for hiding media. We hope to improve support for loading from other sources (memory, file offset etc) in the future.
    Thanks,

10. draky

draky

No problem. Thank you for the quick response :)

11. xpansivevr

xpansivevr

Hi Andrew, is there a compatibility issue with GVR 1.2 and AVPro Version 1.5.20? My Android app crashes as soon as it tries to play a video. Unity version 5.5.1f1

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Not that i'm aware of, but I don't think we've tested with that version. Did you upgrade from a previous version of GVR? If so, which version?
    Thanks,

13. OneclickUnity

OneclickUnity

Hi,
    Is possible to record audio from both sources, Unity and Stereo Mix?

I need to record my voice through the microphone, and the unity audio sources.

Thank you in advance.

My plugin version is 2.94..
    Unity 5.5.0
    Windows 10
    I would greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  14. dave_e3ct

dave_e3ct

Anyone had issues with the latest plugin and video playback on an iPhone 5s?
    Just seem to have a few issue with the video just staying on the 1st image and not advancing, and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. iPhone 6 seems fine, just the 5s so far.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Update:
    AVPro Video support suggested rebooting the iPhone 5 (power off the phone, then on again), which fixed the issue. It's a problem with iOS/ the phone not the plugin. Fantastic support as ever. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    AndrewRH likes this.
  15. MarioPinto_BInteractive

MarioPinto_BInteractive

Hi Andrew,

I'm having the same problem, I have several videos and I need to play them without any kind of gap. Is there a solution within the plugin to do this or the workaround of using two MediaPlayer components is still the only solution?

Best regards,
    Mário Pinto

16. Legomaple12

Legomaple12

Hey, I am having a problem with AVPro and combining it with the Oculus CV1. They both work fine seperately, but as soon as I plug in the Oculus Rift, AVPro stops playing videos. It seems to load fine (Can't confirm if this is really the case, but acording to the logs it is), but it doesn't play them. This only happens if the CV1 is plugged in. Is there any solution on this?

17. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, yes AVPro Movie Capture only supports capturing audio either directly from Unity or from one of the Windows recording devices. We don't yet have the feature to return two at the same time...

Thanks,

18. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Using two media players is currently our recommended solution for this (see the VideoController sample scene). Otherwise if you can combine multiple videos into one then you can seek to the start of the new video. It's quite a tricky issue to get right and also requires that the video is encoded with key-frames at the right places to help with a smooth transition. Disabling complex encoder features such as B-frames can also help the second video to play faster (it won't have to buffer / decode ahead as much).

19. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

That's odd.. Do you have latest AVPro Video and latest Rift drives? Just plugging the headset into the USB causes AVPro Video to not be able to play videos any more?

20. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

All WebGL users. If you upgrade to newer versions of Unity (eg 5.5.x) then Unity is using WebGL 2.0 by default and this causes AVPro Video to no longer work. Please go to your Player Settings and disable the "Auto Graphics API" option and make sure Web GL 1.0 is the only option in the list.

We'll add a fix for this in the next release of the plugin - v1.5.22 (due out today)

Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  21. Legomaple12

Legomaple12

I have installed Oculus today and redownloaded the latest AVPro video. I just created a new project, put both AVPro and Oculus SDK in there (The Oculus Unity Utilities) and then build it. If the Rift is fully plugged in, it does not play any video. But if I unplug the Oculus and restart the build it works fine.

22. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Does it work if you untick "Hardware Decoding" option in MediaPlayer > Platform Specific > Windows?
    What GPU do you have? (also try updating drives on this..)

Thanks,

23. Legomaple12

Legomaple12

Turning off Hardware Decoding was the solution! Many thanks!

Also, for future reference, my graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

For people coming from google, let me see if I can add a few tags to make searching easier for you! Oculus Rift CV 1 AVPro Video

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Glad it worked.. Still that's just a workaround because really you'll need hardware decoding if your video is high resolution. We'll look into this issue and if we can replicate it we'll fix it in an upcoming release.

25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.5.22 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version / demos on our website.

Changes include:

General
    • Improved performance of CubemapCube component. Due to a typo it would previously regenerate the cube mesh each frame.
    • Improved the fix for Unity 5.4.2 and above where changing texture quality during runtime would cause the video texture to turn black. The expensive fix now doesn’t apply to Unity 5.4.1 and 5.4.0, and can be disabled in the global options
    • Fixed bug in subtitles that would cause them to go blank for a frame
    Workflow
    • Android OES path now displays hint about using correct shaders
    • Error message display is more detailed
    • Improved user feedback when selecting stereo packing to warn about the need for the UpdateStereoMaterial component
    • Improved UI for UpdateStereoMaterial component to give more feedback about its setup
    Android
    • Better reports error when a video fails to decode due to insufficient resources
    • Added option to not show the “poster” frame, leading to faster start and less resource usage for loaded videos. A video that is loaded but not played and not displaying the poster frame will not engage the decoder hardware and use up resources
    • Saved some memory in OES mode by no longer allocating unnecessary render texture
    • Improved playback rate timer
    WebGL
    • Fixed issue where no video displays when using WebGL 2.0 (default in Unity 5.5.0 and above)
    • Cached texture pointer for improved performance
    • Fixed subtitle loading by changing to use a coroutine
    Windows
    • Added new events for when a stream has stalled and resumed - useful for detecting connection loss when live streaming
    • Added new option to generate texture mipmap levels automatically - this reduces aliasing when the texture is scaled down
    • Updated Snappy library (used in Hap codec) to latest 1.1.4 which has 20% decompression speedup
    • Fixed bug in DirectShow where calls to SetMuted() or setting very low audio volume would be ignored
    UWP / Windows Phone / Hololens
    • Added new option to generate texture mipmap levels automatically - this reduces aliasing when the texture is scaled down
    Breaking Changes
    • For Android if you previously loaded videos in a paused state to see the initial “poster” frame now you’ll need to tick the new “Show Poster Frame” option in the Platform Specific settings. In previous versions this was enabled by default, but now it is disabled by default as it has performance implications.
    Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  26. damqui

damqui

Hi.
    I use AVPro 1.5.20 and Unity 5.2.3.

If I open Unity Editor in Mac, when I run my scene in the console it says:
    [AVProVideo] Opening http://loquescribo.azurewebsites.net/video/videotutorial_Loquecuento.mp4 (offset 0)

After a few minutes it shows an error:
    Player 210: failed to load value for key "playable", error: The request timed out.
    [AVProVideo] Error: LoadFailed

If I open Unity Editor in Windows everything goes fine.

I would appreciate any idea.

27. GamerPET

GamerPET

@AndrewRH Hey man,

I have to do a small app that will play a pretty large video (around 1GB), Stereo VR....for SamsungGear.
    What do you suggest it's the best approach? Having a large APK might be to weird... might have memory problems when it tries to load the video directly... etc.

What if I have a smaller APK without the video, and that APK will look for the file that was already placed in the .... APK Folder? Or something like that? Would this work?

I also plan in the future of adding a download feature.
    1. Start the app, Video get's downloaded.
    2. Get the path location where the video was downloaded (APK Folder?)
    3. Go to another scene and play that video from that particular path?

Thanks Andrew <3

P.S. PlayMaker support? :D :D :D I jk... whenever you have time.

28. blevok

blevok

Hi, i'm making an app for windows phone, with a streaming video playing on a quad. The video plays fine in the editor, but on the device it is only a black screen. The phone i'm testing with is running the latest public windows 10 mobile. I want to target windows phone 8.1, but i also tried building for UWP and had the same result.

I'm using VLC 2.2.5 on windows 7 to send the stream, but i have also done it from a windows 10 pc. The only video that plays at all from vlc is WMV, any other format generates a LoadFailed error. I've tried resolutions from 320x240 to 1920x1080, and 1fps to 30fps. Most of the sample streaming videos in your pdf will play, but not the rtsp stream. And anything that does play, only plays in the editor. On the device, it is always a grey screen for a few seconds before turning black.

I'm using the latest trial version of AVPro, downloaded today, with unity 5.5.1. The "InternetClient" option is checked in the player settings. I've tried with and without the hardware decoding option in the platform specific section, i've tried both XAML and D3D build types, and played with many other settings, in many combinations. Nothing but a black screen on the device.

This has certainly been very easy to setup, but i'm stuck if i can't get it to play on the device. Any ideas? Thanks.

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, I believe this issue is caused by OSX permissions. Basically Apple don't want you accessing HTTP urls (they prefer HTTPS). To get around this you need to edit the permissions in your plist file (for Unity Editor and for your app). Please see our PDF documentation where we have a section on streaming and OS X and cover this in detail. Thanks,

30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I would recommend for development that you copy the video file to a folder on your device and then set the absolute path to load that video. For deployment I would definitely recommend a download and caching system as you suggest. I've seen it work very well before! The video file can be downloaded to the app persistent storage folder and then played from there.

PlayMaker support..well, it's still on the list...but so are many other things! :)

Thanks,

GamerPET likes this.
  31. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Hmm, I'm not really sure what the issue could be.

Is your VLC stream a "live" stream?
    What does the URL look like?
    Have you tried to create an HLS stream?
    Have you tried using FFMPEG instead of VLC to make the stream?
    Are there any error messages from the device / console logs?

I would definitly first focus on why the sample URLS in our documentation don't work. At a minimum I would expect the MP4 stream to play as it is the most simple and is supported on every OS and device we've tested on.

32. jGate99

jGate99

@AndrewRH,
    Is there any possibility to play only audio from a video file to save performance? For example i need an audio player in my app but i'm getting videos mp4 file (urls) so want to you use your plugin but without video overhead.

Thanks

33. blevok

blevok

Thanks for the quick response. Here are answers to your questions.

Both. I've tried streaming live feeds of my desktop and my webcam, but also tried streaming complete files (mp4, avi, mpg, wmv, mkv).

http://192.168.0.102:8085/
    http://192.168.0.102:8085/video.mp4/
    http://192.168.0.102:8085/video.mpg/
    http://192.168.0.102:8085/video.wmv/
    and so on

I've found that if a stream works in the editor, it will work no matter what the url looks like. Meaning, it works the same with http://192.168.0.102:8085/ and with http://192.168.0.102:8085/video.mp4/.

Yes. This is the only stream type available in stock VLC that doesn't require an external server.

No, i will try it tonight.

No errors related to video. The only error is "Scene 'DeviceConfig' couldn't be loaded because it has not been added to the build settings or the AssetBundle has not been loaded. To add a scene to the build settings use the menu File->Build Settings..."
    Google tells me that this scene is auto included in the build and doesn't need to be added manually, and when i try to add it manually, it tells me that i don't need to. I haven't dug any deeper into that error yet, but i think it's unrelated.

Yeah i've mostly been trying to get the first link to work, the mp4 stream. I know the app can communicate with the internet because i can load www image textures just fine. And the streams work just fine in the VLC app on the phone. It will play yours and mine, but none within the unity app on the phone.

I'll post again after i try ffmpeg tonight. Thanks for the help.

edit: I should mention that i'm very new to unity (used it for the first time 3 days ago). I just discovered the log file on the device. I was previously only seeing the on-gui errors shown in the debug build. Here is the full log from the device. I'm looking into these things, but maybe you'll see something obvious.

Loading native plugins
    Loading AVProVideo.dll
    Module information:
    Built with Compiler Ver '190023918'
    Built from '5.5/release' branch
    Version is '5.5.1f1 (88d00a7498cd)'
    Release build
    Application type 'XAML'
    Used 'UWP'
    OS 'Windows 10 (10.0.14393)'
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 9.3]
    Renderer: Qualcomm Adreno 330 (ID=0x8974)
    Vendor: Qualcomm
    VRAM: 958 MB
    Initialize engine version: 5.5.1f1 (88d00a7498cd)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-DeferredReflections' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-DeferredReflections' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-ScreenSpaceShadows' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-ScreenSpaceShadows' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-PrePassLighting' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-PrePassLighting' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Legacy Shaders/VertexLit' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/CubeBlur' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/CubeCopy' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/CubeBlend' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    Logical Screen DPI is 240.00.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'FORWARD_DELTA' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Standard' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    UnloadTime: 3.249791 ms
    Scene 'DeviceConfig' couldn't be loaded because it has not been added to the build settings or the AssetBundle has not been loaded.
    To add a scene to the build settings use the menu File->Build Settings...

(Filename: Line: 127)

[AVProVideo] Initialising AVPro Video (script v1.5.20 plugin v1.5.20t) on Qualcomm Adreno 330/Direct3D 11.0 [level 9.3] (MT True)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/Metro/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[AVProVideo] Opening http://downloads.renderheads.com/2016/BigBuckBunny_360p30_Streaming.mp4 (offset 0)

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/Metro/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[AVProVideo] Using playback path: MF-MediaEngine-Hardware (1280x720@30.00)

[AVProVideo] OnApplicationPause: pausing video

Trimming D3D resources.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi John, that's an interesting and unusual request. Currently no that's not possible. We do support playback of audio files, but if the file contains video it will always play it. You could edit MediaPlayer.cs to prevent the rendering coroutine from starting..this may get you some way to where you want to be. I can put this request on the todo list though. I hope that will help you. Thanks,

jGate99 likes this.
  35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

This is a bit interesting... The device must be a bit old? It only supports a 9.3 feature set which may not be enough. Did you say it played back videos normally if you just copy them to the device (play from StreamingAssets folder)?

This shows that the AVPro Video plugin has managed to connect to the stream and has found the correct format. This is promising sign.

Hmmm - did this happen by itself, or was this part of you changing focus from the app?

Perhaps you could try disabling multi-threaded rendering (in the Player Settings) to see if that makes any difference. You could also try disabling GPU-decoding on the MediaPayer > Platform Specific > UWP section and see if that change anything..

Which model device is it exactly?

Thanks,

36. blevok

blevok

No, i never got any video to play in the app on the device, they only play in the editor. I did mention loading an image from the internet as a texture, which only confirmed that it was successfully getting things from the web into the app on the device.
    I tried the lowest res sample in streaming assets > avpro, but got the same black screen.

Yeah it's from changing focus, but that initially piqued my interest as well. I haven't made any controls yet, so the only way to close it is from the task manager right now. I confirmed that was what was happening by going to the task manager, and then back into the app, and then back into the task manager, and this was the log:

Trimming D3D resources.
    [AVProVideo] OnApplicationFocus: playing video again
    Trimming D3D resources.

I don't see any options that look related to threading in the player settings. Does it have a deceiving name?

No luck.

It's a Nokia Lumia Icon (verizon's cdma version of the 929). It's a windows 8.1 phone that i upgraded to windows 10. It's on the list of officially supported phones for the windows 10 upgrade, and it's at or very near the top of the food chain among 8.1 phones.

It flawlessly runs every vr app in the store, and all the games, app streamers, and video streamers that i've tried. My unity app is also perfectly smooth and working in every other way. I feel like this should totally work, but i've built and run this app probably close to a hundred times now, with no success at all.

I'm curious to know if you created a proof of concept app for any mobile build of windows, or if it was more of a "it should work" type of thing. If you have a test app that works on any windows phone, maybe i could try that?

37. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Yes we've tested it on a range of Microsoft phones but I don't have a Nokia Lumia Icon. I'll try to see if I can get hold of a similiar handset tomorrow and do some testing.

I agree with you that it should be possible and it sounds like it is "very close" to working. Hopefully I'll find a bug tomorrow and be able to send you a new version to try. Please email me at unitysupport@renderheads.com so that I can email you a new build once we have it.

And yes, that multi-threading option doesn't seem to be there - it must not be available for UWP platform which is odd...

Thanks,

38. jGate99

jGate99

Please consider it because you can have a second set of software (audio player) with just some work on your side.

39. blevok

blevok

Thanks. The 929, 930, and Icon are all virtually identical except for their different radios for different carriers. But unfortunately many other 8.1 phones didn't meet the criteria for the windows 10 upgrade, so most of the user base is still on 8.1. So i'm hoping to get this working on both phone 8.1 and UWP, so i don't loose potential buyers that are stuck on 8.1.

40. Mastrom

Mastrom

Very Tanks for the update! fix my stereo rendering problem.

tytytytytyty

AndrewRH likes this.
  41. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for reporting these issues. We've made a number of fixes in the new version (1.5.24) for this. Thanks,

42. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.5.24 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store and the free trial version / demos on our website.

Changes include:

General
    • Shaders improved to work on older hardware that only support shader model 2.0
    Windows Phone / WSA / UWP / Hololens
    • Added support for audio to be played through Unity’s audio system
    • Fixed a serious bug which could cause video to not appear and native plugin functions to return incorrect values
    • Fixed the hardware decoding option not being passed through to the plugin correctly
    • Fixed support for older GPUs that only supported D3D11 feature set 9.x
    • Trial version watermarking optimised for speed and memory
    Windows Desktop
    • Fixed support for older GPUs that only supported D3D11 feature set 9.x
    • Trial version watermarking optimised for speed and memory
    Known Issues
    • Windows DirectShow videos appear green in this build. Please download the fix in the upcoming v1.5.25 that we're working on releasing right now.
    Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    zyzyx likes this.
  43. blevok

blevok

Thank you very much for the update. I can confirm that it does indeed resolve by issues with black screen on windows mobile.

44. phileday

phileday

Great to see more updates :) I particularly like the inclusion of playback through Unity audio sources. Will this be available for Directshow as well anytime in the future?

45. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes it's on the list :) Will try to prioritise!

46. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

AVPro Video version 1.5.25 has just been released!

Changes include:

Windows Desktop
    • Patch fix for regression in 1.5.24 which caused DirectShow videos to display in green
    Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  47. phileday

phileday

That's great to know. regarding the revert to 1.5.25. How long does the review process take? I was going to release an update to my player today and can't until I've got this reverted version.

48. wurzel-digital

wurzel-digital

Hi,

the Plugin doesn't compile for IOS Plattform with Unity 5.3.7. The following error occurs:

Linker Error:

_UnityRegisterRenderingPluginV5() referenced from:
    _AVPluginRegister in libAVProVideoiOS.a (AVProPlugin.o)
    Symbols not found for architecture arm64

I need to use Unity 5.3.7, because of some critical bugs in the newer versions of Unity.
    Is it possible, that i can get the source from libAVProVideoiOS.a to fix it by myself or can you fix it for me and send me the fixed library libAVProVideoiOS.a.

49. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Please send me an email at unitysupport@renderheads.com and we'll sort this out quickly. Thanks,

50. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Sometimes an hour, sometimes 2 days...