Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Video - complete video playback solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Feb 12, 2016.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro Video.png

Latest Version 3.0.0 - Released 25th March 2024

Rocket32.png DOWNLOAD THE FREE TRIAL VERSION HERE Rocket32.png

Links: Webpage | Documentation | Support

New Features
    • Android Vulkan pipeline support
    • Re-written Android OpenGLES pipeline
    • visionOS support (Ultra Edition only)

General Features

• Easy to use
    • Fast and powerful video playback
    • Based on 11 years of Unity video plugin development
    • Battle tested in professional productions
    • Native support for Windows, macOS, iOS, tvOS, Android and visionOS
    • No huge dependent libraries (eg FFMPEG)
    • Unity 2018.x - 2023.x supported
    • Easy to use drag and drop components
    • Free watermarked trial version available
    • Strong documentation and developer support

Playback Features

• Play local, remote and adaptive (HLS/DASH) videos
    • VR, 360, 180, Mono and Stereo videos supported
    • 8K+ video decoding (on supported systems)
    • Transparent videos
    • Subtitles
    • Audio piping to Unity

Workflow Features

• In editor preview and playback
    • Asset type for easily defining video content

Ultra Edition Features

• Custom HTTP headers
    • AES-128 HLS
    • Decoding to 10-Bit textures (Windows only)
    • Hap codec (Windows and macOS only)
    • 10-Bit NotchLC codec (Windows only)
    • Spatial 360 audio
    • Video caching (Android and iOS only)
    • visionOS platform support

AVPro Video was nominated for the
    Unity Awards 2016 Asset Store Award

Support

Post issues to the GitHub issue tracker:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProVideo/issues

Download Links
    Editions
    On the Unity Asset Store we've made several editions of AVPro Video available so you can pick the one that's best for your project:
    • Core Desktop Edition (core features for Windows, macOS platforms)
    • Core Mobile Edition (core features for Android, iOS, tvOS platforms)
    • Core Edition (core features for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, tvOS platforms)#
    • Ultra Edition (advanced features for all platforms : Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, tvOS, visionOS)
    • Enterprise Edition (for larger companies with multiple sites/offices/subsidiaries) - Contact us for pricing details
    You can read this page to learn more about the features, pricing and upgrades for the different editions.

Rocket32.png DOWNLOAD THE FREE TRIAL VERSION HERE Rocket32.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024 at 1:00 PM
    LostPanda, imDanOush and TooManySugar like this.
  2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Beta released today :)

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

New video showing the included demos:

4. xtopher

xtopher

Very cool!

Could you post a more complete version or example of how to use and script the OnVideoFinished event, please?

5. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Sure we'll do that :) There is some code in the documentation that show you how to basically use it, but an extra sample never hurt anyone :)

6. Crazydadz

Crazydadz

Hi @AndrewRH, nice plugin! We want to know how much will it cost? Thank you

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We have submitted to the Asset Store and are just waiting for them to review it now. The plugin for all platforms (Android, iOS, tvOS, OS X and more soon) will be $450 while individual platforms will be $150. If you already own one of our other video plugins (AVPro Windows Media or AVPro QuickTime) then there will be a discounted upgrade option
    available ($300 for the full package, $100 per platform).

Thanks,

8. Crazydadz

Crazydadz

Thank you. We are investigating to see if we can live stream hd video on ios and android. In your doc, it says "Streaming video from URL (when supported)". What does it means exactly?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

I'm developing a 360 video cardboard experience (iOs, Android) and Samsung Gear VR.
    I'm now using EasyMovieTexture but want something a bit more supported/stable and with decent documentation.

I'm now able to (badly and with constant crashes) preview the content in an Oculus Rift. and publish to both platforms using EasyMovieTexture. Will i be able to do the same thing with this? (minus the crashes :) )
    [edit: tried the demo version, preview on WindowsDesktop falls back to a 2 frame placeholder video, bummer!]

I've also used AV Pro Windows Media for the desktop version and i'm very happy with the stability and performance there.
    Ideally i would have only 1 API for both windows desktop (Oculus) and mobile so.. IF the above is possible AND the windows version is right around the corner I would be super happy!

So to summarise:
    Can i use the VR supported player setting and preview in IDE using Oculus? [edit: appears not at this moment]
    Is the Windows Desktop version right arround the corner? [edit: fixing the above i guess]

I'm guessing this will eventually replace the other plugins? (AVPro Windows Media or AVPro QuickTime)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  10. theobject

theobject

One question: how does this differ technologically from your AvPro Quicktime plugin? Does this have hardware decoding on OSX?

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Some platforms have native support for streaming from URLs. This isn't something we have tested greatly in the initial release and we're be focusing more on this in the next update. That being said, the basic streaming stuff is in there, so you can try it out just by entering an HTTP URL into the path field. I don't yet have details on which platforms support it but we'll improve the documentation on the next round. Feel free to test it in the trial version. Thanks,

Crazydadz likes this.
  12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes, AVPro QuickTime is based on the very old QuickTime libraries which has various problems (besides being old), such as lack of 64-bit support. The new library is written to support many platforms and for OS X it uses the modern AVFoundation library to support media playback.

Hardware acceleration for decoding is one other feature that makes this better. If the machine supports hardware decoding of the specific format then it will make use of it. H.264 is the most common format with hardware decoding support.

Thanks,

13. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Tom,

Yes the Windows version is in the works. We already have a beta version internally but it needs more work to make it public. It already has some nice hardware decoding ability :)

Yes our plan is to have a single API and single components for cross-platform video system. This is already the case with AVPro Vide for OS X desktop, iOS, tvOS and Android :) Windows is coming next, but it will be after the intial 1.0.0 release.

It should replace the other plugins eventually but there are still a lot of people using these plugins so we will continue to support them for some time. Also AVPro Windows Media in particular has a lot of neat features that probably won't make it into AVPro Video as they are very niche.

Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to email us if you have any more suggestions etc.

14. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Thanks Andrew! Looking forward to it showing up in the Asset Store.

Is there a way to play video straight from the SD card? as opposed to putting them in the streamingAssets. On a samsung phone i'm guessing the path should be something like this. But i'm not getting anything to show up. file:///sdcard/Oculus/360 videos/myMovie.mp4

Thanks

15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yup we're adding this feature in the new version (coming out any day now). In that old trial version only loading from StreamingAssets folder was supported...

16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Version 1.0.0 has been released on the asset store :)

We already have great news about version 1.1.0! In a day or so we will release the update and it has some great new features:
    • Windows support!
      In-editor and standalone video playback in Windows
    • Much improved UI
      Very pretty and useful :)
    • Stereo (top-bottom / left-right) VR 360 degree video support
      We're even doing this in a single shader so it's only 1 draw call, you don't need to set up 2 cameras to render each eye!
    • Absolute file paths
      Load videos from anywhere (not just StreamingAssets folder), including sdcard etc
    • Per-platform overrides
      Specify different video files per platform
    Thanks,

17. xtopher

xtopher

Wondering if you can help... I'm using AVPro (which is great, btw!) to make an Android build. But video playback breaks after splitting the app into .apk and .obb files! I assume this is because the path to the file is broken? Our audio is separate from the movie and is playing back, so I know there is a way to bridge this. Can you help me out with this? Thanks

18. nikokoneko

nikokoneko

Hi, I downloaded the trial version from your website, and while the demos work in Unity Editor (OSX), they still don't work when building OSX standalone (an orange AV logo loop being displayed instead of the video). Does the plugin support OSX standalone in a first place, and if so, is there a trial version we can try? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong and the trial should already work on OSX? Thanks!

19. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Version 1.1.0 sounds awesome! looking forward to it. In the mean time happy customer for 1.0.0. Congrats on the release.

20. xtopher

xtopher

Do you guys have a full scripting reference somewhere? The examples/reference in the "AVProVideo-UserManual.pdf" are pretty thin and occasionally vague. We really need this to make the mouse of this plug in in our projects. And please don't assume we are all expert level programmers when you write it! Technical artists write plenty of scripts too!

21. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi xtopher,

This will be fixed in the 1.1.0 release which is coming out very very soon (hopefully today) :)

Thanks,

xtopher likes this.
  22. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We don't yet, but we're in the process of making it. Feel free to ask scripting questions here in the meantime. Also if we can get an idea of which areas are tricky we can add a new demo scene which shows that specific scripting issue.

Thanks,

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi nikokoneko,

Yes it should totally work on OS X. I think sometimes it gets confused about which platform you're building. Try going to your Build Settings and hit the "Switch platform" button with another platform selected, then switch back to your target platform. Hopefully that will do it.
    Thanks,

24. xtopher

xtopher

I would like to see a full example of how and where you implemented the on finish event for the end of movie playback. That would be most helpful. Thanks.

25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi xtopher,
    No problem. In v1.1.0 (to be released today) the event system has actually changed slightly and it now works like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. // Add the event listener (can also do this via the editor GUI)
    3. MediaPlayer mp;
    4. mp.Events.AddListener(OnVideoEvent);
    6. // Callback function to handle events
    7. public void OnVideoEvent(MediaPlayer mp, MediaPlayerEvent.EventType et)
    8. {
    9.     switch (et)
    10.     {
    11.         case MediaPlayerEvent.EventType.ReadyToPlay:
    12.             mp.Control.Play();
    13.             break;
    14.         case MediaPlayerEvent.EventType.FirstFrameReady:
    15.             Debug.Log("First frame ready");
    16.             break;
    17.         case MediaPlayerEvent.EventType.FinishedPlaying:
    18.             mp.Control.Rewind();
    19.             break;
    20.     }
    22.     Debug.Log("Event: " + et.ToString());
    23. }
    So this code takes a MediaPlayer instance and uses the Events property to add a Listener method that gets called when events happen. This method is a local public method in the class. You can also hook up the event system via the GUI by adding your function to the Event list in the MediaPlayer component in the Unity Inspector.

This method has to take 2 parameters, the first is the MediaPlayer (so you know which media player the event came from) and the second is the EventType. Then you simply read the event and handle it as you want to.

In the new version we have added a script to the VideoControls demo that receives messages such as FinishedPlaying so you can see how it's done.

I hope that clears things up. I think the early version had some issues with the events so that could also be why it wasn't making sense.

xtopher likes this.
  26. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Quick update about AVPro Video. Version 1.1.0 with all the lovely new features and improvements is a bit delayed but we're trying to get it out today. It takes a while when you have 5 platforms to test ;)

27. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

After much work and testing, Version 1.1.0 of AVPro Video has just been submitted to the Store!

Changes include:
    • Windows support!
    • Lat-long stereo top-bottom and left-right video support for VR
    • Per-platform file path overrides
    • Absolute and relative path loading support added
    • Android loading from OBB support added
    • Workflow improvements
      • Added browse button
      • Added recent file list
      • Added relative folder support
      • Improved MediaPlayer UI, including preview in editor
    • Created a scripting class reference
    • Improved documentation
    • Fixed Linear colour space support in Windows
    • Fixed shutdown and memory freeing
    • Various bugs fixed
    Hopefully the store won't take too long to process this update, but if you can't wait you can always download the updated demos and trial version from our website here

xtopher likes this.
  28. sevensails

sevensails

Does it supports Videos with Alpha Blending (for transparent areas)? How does this works across multiple platforms and video formats?

29. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@AndrewRH Is there planned support for WebPlayer or WebGL?

30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Ben BearFish,

We can't add WebPlayer support as the WebPlayer is unable to use native plugins such as ours. WebGL is an interesting idea. I though video was already handled by the browser, but upon further reading I see it isn't done automatically. I think WebGL support is an interesting idea, but it is not the main purpose of this plugin. I could be handy though, so I will add it to the list and perhaps we will see it a version soon.

Thanks,

31. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Wagenheimer,

Unlike our other plugins (AVPro Windows Media and AVPro QuickTime) which support codecs with transparency (such as Animation, Hap, Lagarith etc), AVPro Video doesn't yet have this feature. This is mainly because none of the modern codecs support transparency natively. We plan to add some features though to allow transparency in the next update, such as left-right or top-bottom transparency and also chroma-keying. If you would like to know more about this let me know.

Thanks,

32. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

Just experimenting with AVProVideo with VR. I have a stereoscopic top-to-bottom video. I only need to use single camera (using Unity native VR mode) and the 'InsideSphere' shader with the stereo variable set? How about the UpdateStereoMaterial script?

Thanks!

33. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi silentslack!

Yes you need to use the UpdateStereoMaterial script as well. This script is very important for stereo visuals as it tells the material what the current camera position is each frame. It uses this to work out whether the VR system is currently rendering the left or right eye. I hope that helps!

Thanks,

34. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Hi Guys,

Updated to 1.1.0 and have a few issues.

On windows 7 the IDE preview does not seem to work, it works fine however on Win10. (although the video is upside down, but need to investigate more if that is not my fault) There are no errors on Win7 just no video is running, no texture updates and no audio.

When i try to build for Android I get the following message. "unable to convert classes into dex format", attached the error log.
    [EDIT: Appears the file zip_file.jar was causing it, probably a remnant from a previous plugin. So non issue]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Tom,

Is the Android version working now?

Windows 7 isn't yet supported (Windows 8 is the minimum requirement). Except support for Windows 7 in the next update.

Thanks,

36. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

yes yes, android was my bad, had an old jar file in the plugins folder that conflicted. Awesome to hear about Win7 support. Thanks!

37. Robota

Robota

Hi, I need to read video on iOS but I also need to dynamically play mp3 files.
    By dynamically, I mean loaded from the shared folder. Is it possible with AVPro Video ?
    Thanks.

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Robota, nice profile pic :)
    Currently if you try to play audio files it will not do anything. The underlying code is capable for playing mp3 files but this isn't something we have focused on for the early releases. We will add this feature for the next release. For now it should work if you simply had your audio inside tiny (4x4) videos files and simply didn't display them. That's the best we have for now until the fix for this comes out.

Thanks,

39. Robota

Robota

Ok, finally I made my own iOS plugin to do it.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

40. Satari

Satari

Hello,

i'm trying to play a 4k video with 60 fps ( http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html - Standard 2D 4K, Quad-Full-HD (3840x2160), 60 fps) in Unity with the AVPro Video plugin. I'm using the demo version and right now the video is stuttering and has long lags (1-2 seconds) and some pixel artifacts. I've read in the documentation that the watermark can maybe cause this.
    Does the watermark really cause some huge lags and the stuttering of the video? I also tried it on a high end machine and with differenten quality settings in unity.

Thanks

41. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi thanks for the question. We have continued this conversion via email. The watermarking shouldn't really cause much change in performance though. Thanks,

42. jeroenvdv

jeroenvdv

Great great great! How about (hardware) HAP support? ;) Would also support ALPHA...

43. Akakama

Akakama

Hello!

I'm trying to build an Android app fo Galaxy S6 (5.1.1), but video doesn't appear :( I try demo scenes and there is sound from video there but meshes (cubes from ex) are white. The same is with 360 sphere.
    In Demo_Videocontrols it shows Dimensions 0x0 and Time /0.0s
    In Unity Editor everything is ok.
    What can i do wrong?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  44. dmarkwith

dmarkwith

I am trying to activate my paid module. I have tried closing Unity, removing all files and doing a re-import with no success. I have also started a new project and imported but I still get the water mark. What am I missing here. Even though I paid did it still download the trial version?I have followed all steps and cannot get this to work.

45. lucased

lucased

+1 for alpha

46. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hardware Hap with Alpha is coming :)

47. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

It's coming soon :)

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

That is very strange. It should certainly work..
    You're importing from the asset store right?
    Which platform are you using and which AVPro package did you purchase?

Thanks,

49. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

When you enable Multitthreaded Rendering the texture updates stop working. The sound still plays.
    I'm testing on Samsung Galaxy S6 and Note4 using Gear VR.

50. Zeren Liang

Zeren Liang

Hi, I wonder if it's possible to play a remote video from url? When I tried a link like "https://testmear.oss-cn-hangzhou.aliyuncs.com/1.mp4", the unity editor says,"Player 0: Failed, not playable. Error: The requested URL was not found on this server."
    • Streaming video from URL (when supported by platform) What does this line mean? Is it done on ios platform already?

Thanks,
    Zeren

arielfel likes this.