Search Unity

[Released] AVPro QuickTime (DEPRECATED)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jul 4, 2012.

1. picard_tba

picard_tba

Hey,

I am currently trying to get something like GetPixels or so out of the texture, but unfortunately I think your plugin does not create Texture2Ds but only Textures (so I cannot get access to the Pixels). Is this assumption right? and if yes,... is there a workaround ? :-/

2. picard_tba

picard_tba

Found a workaround - so I got it to work. One other question. Is it possible to grab the audio ? or do you pass it around Unity so that there is no way to get it ? (because I cannot find a audio source nor a audiolistener)... thank you ! :)

3. shanemarks

shanemarks

Hi Rocki,

Performance within the plugin can be affected by the codec you choose to use. What codec are you currently using? if you could link us a sample of the video you are testing, I can test it out on my side to see what is going on.

Regards,

Shane
    Renderheads Support

4. shanemarks

shanemarks

Hi there,

Would it be possible for you to create a development build and send me the output logs to look at? I am sure we can get to the bottom of this fairly quickly.

My hunch is that the the build is not finding the video files. Did you copy the media folder containing the videos into the root folder of your build?

Regards,

Shane

Renderheads Support

5. shanemarks

shanemarks

Hi there JVaughan,

Have a look at the demo app (http://bit.ly/1gPur3H) and explore the package contents. You will noticed the media folder (containing the videos) is stored in a folder just outside the "Contents" folder.

This is equivalent of storing your files in editor one level down from the assets folder ( Application.dataPath + "../")
    Once you have moved your assets there, they can be easily accessed with the AVPro QuickTime Movie Component by setting:
    Folder - YOUR_FOLDER_NAME/
    Filename - Filename.mov

The major benefit of this approach is that unity will not convert your movie files to their format, which can take a very long time. Note that you will need to manually copy the files into the app package after building.

I hope this resolves your problem. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Shane
    Renderheads Support

6. shanemarks

shanemarks

Hi Picard_TBA,

I am glad you managed to resolve grabbing pixels from the movie texture.

Regarding capturing the audio samples - This is currently outside of the scope of the plugin so grabbing audio sample data is currently not possible. As a workaround you could load the audio separately as a standard audio source and grab the samples that way.

Should you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Shane Marks

Renderheads support.

7. nerik

nerik

Hi there,

I'm sorry for the double post but I need to be able to scrub through a video directly in the editor, and I was wondering if it was possible with this plug-in?
    Full details here : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/22...Editor-(not-at-runtime)?p=1482671#post1482671

This is something I need to know before spending 200$.
    Also, I guess there's a good reason not to provide a free trial of the plugin?

Thanks
    Erik

8. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Erik,

There's a demo you can download from the AVPro QuickTime website. The demo should give you a fair idea of the capabilities of the plugin. But yes, it does support scrubbing through the videos in the Editor, but only when the Editor is playing. It doesn't just allow you to import videos as assets and scrub through them in the editor, you have to hit Play in the editor first and then you can scrub through video files once they've been loaded (pretty much like the Apple QuickTime Player).

Hope that helps,

9. dm_reflekt

dm_reflekt

Hello!

I am having somw problems when trying to reproduce .mp4. I get warnings that say "Movie Failed to Load" and "Couldn't load movie *****.mp4.bin". I installed all the needed codecs and I'm able to play the videos using Windows Media Player. What am I doing wrong? This is with AVPro Windows Media 2.5 and Unity 4.3.4.

I'd appretiate any help!

Cheers

10. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Hi,

Is there a scripting reference for AvPro Quicktime anywhere? Is it possible to set up the component entirely through code?

Thanks

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

This is the wrong forum. This forum is for the AVPro QuickTime plugin. I think we sorted this out via email anyways :)

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Yes of course you can set up components through code - that is how the components that ship with it have been created :)

Essentially there is a low-level native DLL that houses all of the plugin functionality. Then we have a layer of unity helper scripts (in the Scripts/Internal) folder. Finally the Unity components are written in Scripts/Components.

I'm afraid there isn't a script reference as we figured the code was pretty understandable. This is something we hope to improve in the future. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

13. MJStryk

MJStryk

Hi Andrew,
    Any pointers on improving color/contrast when using material mapping?

14. latas

latas

Hi Andrew, we've finished our game today , and we've tried to send it to the AppStore.
    Unfortunately Application Loader told us Apple has rejected the submission because they no longer accepts app submissions with QuickTime API support.
    Are you aware of this?
    Is there anyway to fix it?
    In that case this plugin is not valid for us, well probably for nobody.

Can you tell me something urgently. If this is not going to work anymore we have to reprogram our code.

Thank you.

15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, we have already replied to you by email. Basically, it looks like Apple (since Jan 2014) no longer accept applications built using QuickTime submitted to their App Store.

This is actually the first we've heard of this.

The plugin will still be useful for many users who are developing applications that aren't destined for the App Store.

Cheers,

16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

That's all going to be down to what material/shader you use and how the lighting is set up.

The material mapping simply applied the video texture to a texture slot in a material. How it looks depends on how you design your scene (materials / lighting).

Cheers,

17. govi627

govi627

Hello!

I am having a problem that was mentioned previously in this thread about videos showing up yellow, and the individual never shared what he did to solve it on his end. The videos playback fine and run smoothly, its just they play with a heavy yellow tone. I tested the videos in previous projects and the videos look fine, its just in this particular project in which they are yellow. I made sure to download the lastest version of AVPRO Quicktime and to have the plugins folder at the root like always.

Any ideas? Help is much appreciated

Joe

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  18. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

The guy who had yellow textures said "Sorry andrew im so sorry is my fault was the renderer configuration of my mac. Is solved".

I'm not sure if that helps you.. Are you on a Mac?

19. govi627

govi627

I am on a PC using Windows 7, not sure what that guy meant by renderer configuration. I tested other projects and AVPro does work normally, not sure if there are certain render settings in the current project that could be affecting it. I will have to do more testing tomorrow.

Joe

20. jk15

jk15

Hi - How was this resolved? I'm having the same issue. I'm on Windows 7, Unity 4.3.4

Thanks,
    JK

21. kilelr

kilelr

i had purchased your company product which is AvProMovie Capture,,, can i know which codec need to be use in demoscene so the video that recorded can be play back in the plugin in AVpro QuickTime or AVpro window media...

22. jk15

jk15

I thought I might clarify this issue further from my short line before.

I have a project that contains a .mov file. It plays it perfectly in the editor but when I do a build (for either Mac or PC) the video does not play.

I have tried placing the .mov file in different locations in the project, from a folder under assets, in the root of assets and also StreamingAssets. I confirm it works each time in the editor - I then run a development build and looked at the log file. Ever time I see:

Code (csharp):
    2. [AVProQuickTime] version 2.80 initialised
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    4. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    5. AVProQuickTimeManager:Init() (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeManager.cs:95)
    6. AVProQuickTimeManager:Start() (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeManager.cs:76)
    8. (Filename: /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeManager.cs Line: 95)
    10. [AVProQuickTime] Movie failed to load
    11. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    12. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    13. AVProQuickTime:StartMovie(Boolean, Boolean) (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Internal/AVProQuickTime.cs:286)
    14. AVProQuickTime:StartFromFile(String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Internal/AVProQuickTime.cs:199)
    15. AVProQuickTimeMovie:LoadMovie() (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeMovie.cs:69)
    16. AVProQuickTimeMovie:Start() (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeMovie.cs:52)
    18. (Filename: /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Internal/AVProQuickTime.cs Line: 286)
    20. [AVProQuickTime] Couldn't load movie attractorScreen.mov
    21. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    22. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    23. AVProQuickTimeMovie:LoadMovie() (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeMovie.cs:88)
    24. AVProQuickTimeMovie:Start() (at /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeMovie.cs:52)
    26. (Filename: /Development/workspaces/unity/XXX/Assets/AVProQuickTime/Scripts/Components/AVProQuickTimeMovie.cs Line: 88)
    I have also tested this by making the builds on a Mac (OSX 10.9.1) and PC (Windows 7) both with the latest version of Unity.

Really hope someone has an idea what is happening here!

Thanks,
    JK

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

You need to copy the video files to your build folder in the same folder structure you use to load it.

24. jk15

jk15

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I did this with the PC build and it works perfectly. On Mac I still get the same error. Anything different I should be doing?

Thanks,
    JK

25. jk15

jk15

Just worked it out. With Mac you have to open the app (show package contents) and copy the video and folder structure there.

26. govi627

govi627

Ok, so what solved the issue was unchecking "YUV" on the script AVPro Quick Time Movie.cs

27. phileday

phileday

I have purchased this plugin and am very happy with the video playback. I would however like to know if there is a way to place the audio onto a difference object in the scene. Or if it would be possible to sync the video with a separate audio file.

28. phileday

phileday

First I would like to point out I'm using the the quicktime plugin on a windows 7 system.

In reply to my own question I find a way to sync external audio sources in ogg format. First I was trying to sync the audio to the video which made the audio play juttery, trying it the over way round seemed to work code below.

myplayer.PositionSeconds = Audio_C.audio.time;

audio_C is my audio object and myplayer is the movie file connected to AVPro QuickTime. I'm currently using java script.

It seems a bit crood but did work so I'm going to proceed with this solution. If anyone has other suggestions please share.

On another note. I'm currently trying to encode a video to run smoothly but I am having really difficulty getting anything above 20 fps. The video is at a resolution of 1920 x 960 and is relatively complex. I've tried using the settings suggested for ffmpeg but apart from reducing the video scale it still ends up jerky. The best I've achived is outputting from after effects in a quicktime format but using the h264 codec. This seems to create smoother video but at a great leap in file size. If people have found other settings using ffmpeg or other codecs which produce better results in speed (I've tried to get mpg working with quicktime and considered divx or xvid but these require installed plugins) then please share, any help I can get with this would be greatly appreciated.

On this note are there any plans to release an update soon, these been talk about a 64 bit compatible version and speed increases and I'm wondering whether any of my issues will be fixed in the next update.

With Unity's poor movie support this is a great plugin and gives a great deal of customization which I hope to take advantage of as my project progresses :).

29. phileday

phileday

An update on my update. Regarding my speed and smoothness issue they replied and suggested some different settings for the ffmpeg encoding. These are:

ffmpeg.exe -i test.mp4 -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset veryslow -tune fastdecode -profile:v main -coder 0 -g 0 -refs 0 -crf 20 feature.mp4

This greatly improved the smooth playback speed of the video so if you're having trouble with getting good speed try these settings.

30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

New version of AVPro QuickTime has just been released - version 2.88

New in this version:
    + Improved performance through native DirectX texture support
    + Add audio balance support
    + Improved editor display
    + Added end of movie notification
    + Improved streaming support (still beta)
    + Improved looping
    + Added installer script to auto copy the DLLs
    + Using aligned memory buffers now

We've also put up new demo packs for Mac and PC including UnityPackage on the website.

Thanks to everyone for the great bug reports and hope you enjoy the new release :)

31. stefanob

stefanob

Hello,

I would like to display a video in 1920x1080 and with the possibility to scrub very fast. So I tried different codecs and the last I tried was mjpeg. I'm not very much into video but it looks like full HD is not possible. The movies don't go faster then about 15fps. Even when I turn down the quality a lot.
    My question: could you give me a suggestion for the best quality/performance in this case? Maybe for a smaller resolution then.
    And is there a difference between the quality I set in After FX render settings and the quality import settings in AVPro?

Thank you!

32. CrunchingKoalas

CrunchingKoalas

Hey guys!

I've got few quick questions regarding the compatibility of your plugin:

1. Are the Mac AppStore issues still a thing? I mean - is our game submission is going to be declined because of the usage of your plugin?
    2. Is Quick Time required also on the user-end machine? If yes- is there any function that checks if it's possible to use the plugin (is Quick Time installed)?
    3. That's probably easier - is there any Linux support? If not - do you know any plugin that supports Linux?

Cheers,
    Tom

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  33. symbell

symbell

Hi AndrewRH,

I have tried your demo plugin "AVPRO Windows Media" it was awesome and fulfilling requirements for my app. I have purchased the PRO version today and have two question right now.

First Question:
    I have moved Plugins folder to Assets but it is still showing a pop up saying "Plugin DLL not found. Unity needs the native plugin DLL files to be copied to the /Assets/Plugins folder.
    Would you like us to do that for you?"

What should I do now? I want to play videos and deliver build, it's urgent, please help

Second Question:
    does it supports the video streaming? because I can't find in the documentation, if no then will you add this feature in future?

Thanks in advance

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Stefanob, 1080p video should play just fine but it can depend on your codec settings and your machine specs. If file size is not an option then we recommend the Hap video codec as it plays back extremely fast and is highly suited to video scrubbing.

35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Tom,

1) Yes I'm afraid, Apple no longer accept apps that link to QuickTime.
    2) Yes QuickTime is required. For Mac users this shouldn't be an issue as it is included with the OS but for Windows you require a separate install.
    3) No this plugin doesn't support Linux as QuickTime only has support for Mac and PC desktop platforms. I'm afraid I don't know of any Linux video plugins.

36. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi symbell,

Firstly this is the AVPro QuickTime forum so in future please direct all questions to the AVPro Windows Media forum page.

1) Check the FAQ. Basically you may need to cycle your build settings as the Unity editor may be thinking it's in 64-bit mode.
    2) No video streaming is not supported and we don't plan to add this in the future.

If you have any issues with the above just email us directly.

Thanks,

37. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro QuickTime version 2.90 released!

It should be noted that this release fixes a serious but in 2.88 which caused some videos to be unable to play back.

Changes include:

• Fixed support for odd width videos
    • Fixed Unity 3.x opengl texture update bug
    • Fixed multithread crash when closing videos
    • Fixed texture release leak in editor
    • Added DiscardContent before writing to rendertexture
    • Added names to textures
    • Fixed watermark drawing logic for padded videos

As usual downloadable demos are available on the website.

38. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

i have been able to get the hap codec working on my mac (Editor works, Build does not), but not my windows computer(hap doesn't work at all).

I have tried OpenGL and direct x9/11 in the editor. as well as builds. The sound works but not the video. (i have tested my own project as well as the demo scenes).

i have set the flag
    allowYUV = false;

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? I am including my output log...

Also by the way, i noticed that I need to wait a frame between setting the file name and playing the video on the mac. If i didn't it would play the audio but have no video. (i didn't see the bug in the demo projects, but if i tried to script the playback then i would see the issue.)

for example this fails:
    _movie._folder = "";
    _movie._filename = path;
    _movie.LoadMovie();

It seems like a bug, but if I make the following change, it works for me on the mac editor:
    _movie._folder = "";
    _movie._filename = path;
    yield return null; // ADD A 1 FRAME YIELD
    _movie.LoadMovie();

Attached Files:

39. svf

svf

Hi AndrewRH,

I am trying to use the plugin with 1080p videos. I use the x264 codec with ffmpeg. The problem is I don't know wich options to pick for the encoding. If I use some standard options, the video is not scrubbable at all.

If I start your sample-1920x1024.mp4.bin with MPC it says the codec used is h264 main profile L4.0 which are the same options I use with x264 but the video is still not scrubbable.

So the question is which command line options do I use to get a scrubbable video?

Thanks
    svf

Edit: didn't saw that phileday posted the options before. Worked like a charm with some little tweaks

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  40. phileday

phileday

Has there ever been any consideration for implementing a connection to a different software player such as VLC? Quicktimes playback and updates seem rather lacking. The people behind VLC are at least still updating and developing the software.

41. techmage

techmage

This is overall really good plugin but the performance is kind of disappointing. I am on OSX and on my desktop I can open up like four different full hd 1920x1080 videos in quicktime and have them play smoothly with no frame hiccups at all. I've recompressed the videos with the ffmpeg settings you have in the manual to make the play faster. But still, playing eve just one 1920x1080 mp4 through your plugin makes the framerate of my unity app drop radically down. Playing four 1920x1080 mp4's is just not do-able. What is going on here? Is this expected behavior? Is there some technical limitation in Unity that disallows it to render as many video, as quickly, as just plain quicktime?

Also, any way to change the framerate on a video?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  42. mohammad-dabiri

mohammad-dabiri

I've recently purchased your plugin and am unable to run any of the sample scenes.

I receive the "Plugin DLL not found" dialog which prompts me to copy the DLL into the Assets/Plugins folder. I have used the plugin copy and manual copy to ensure that the plugin is in the correct place. I have restarted the scene and Unity multiple times and am still receiving this Dialog.

I am on windows 7 running Unity 4.5.1f3

ryanmillerca likes this.
  43. Tony-Butterfield

Tony-Butterfield

I would like to request support for h265/x265. Any thoughts?
    VLC, Elecard, DVDFab, and DivX now support it.

44. MaxB

MaxB

I've got a strange issue popping up when attempting to play a HAP encoded video in a Linear color space. I tested in a clean project with a variety of HAP encoded files and haven't been able to get any different results. On an older iMac, with a pretty old NVIDIA GTX 660M.

I get this yellow texture anywhere I attempt to play the movie:

Attached Files:

45. 4wall

4wall

Unity 5 will support exporting directly to WebGL. I was wondering what this means in terms of video playback -optimization and the need for Quicktime. Thoughts?

46. jashan

jashan

Just to double-check: The reply above saying that video-streaming is not supported was referring to AVPro Windows Media. Is it correct that when I can play a video stream in QuickTime, it will also work in Unity using AVPro Quicktime?

47. lizardboy79

lizardboy79

Hello Renderheads!

I just purchased your plugin for Unity 4.5.4, specifically the AVPro Quicktime version. I am using this on Windows 8.1 with Quicktime Pro 7.7.5 installed. The file I am trying to play is 4k, specifically:

outputted from Adobe Media Encoder;
    Frame size: 4096x2048
    H.264 encoding
    VBR: max 90Mbps, target 45Mbps
    mp4 container

It works fine inside the Unity Editor, but when I make a standalone build, it crashes immediately upon loading the file. What should I do to resolve this?

Thank you,

-Sean

48. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

On the Hap codec, consistently when i load a new video the first frame shows up as a bright orangish texture. I am trying to figure out how to prevent this texture from showing up.

For example if i have two videos in which the second video starts with the same image that the first has, how do i make it so that there is no visual glitch in between showing the two videos one after the next.

49. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

Did you install the codec?
    https://github.com/vidvox/hap-qt-codec/releases/

50. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Urgent issue!

I have trouble getting AVPro Quicktime and MS Kinect 2 SDK to work in the same project (on Windows 8.0). At first AVPro works perfectly, then I import the Kinect SDK and run a Kinect test scene, then next time I run anything with AVPro I get the message about it's missing DLL. I presume that the Kinect DLL somehow kicks Unity into 64bit mode, which is incompatible with AVPro Quicktime. I tired to delete the 64 bit Kinect DLL to avoid this, but it makes no difference. Perhps it is something else...

The AVPro DLL is in the 'Plugins' folder in the Assets root like it is supposed to.

Any ideas?

ryanmillerca likes this.