Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Aki, the best way perhaps would be to either run Unity on a monitor with a larger resolution, or to make a standalone build with AVPro Movie Capture triggerable on a key...

Yes it is a shame that you can't run Unity in the editor in a fullscreen window... I've seen a few people asking for this feature.

I hope that helps.

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi again,

Sorry, you're actually 100% right. AVPro Movie Capture doesn't currently support writing to multiple files at once! This is something we will fix in the next release. Thanks,

3. aki-kanerva

aki-kanerva

Makes sense - thanks for the reply. Unfortunately neither solution is available to us, but I'll see about adding to the Unity feature request list...

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, this has been fixed in the latest version. We've also updated the webcam demo to allow capture from multiple webcams at the same time. Thanks for reporting this issue.

5. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

New version (v2.70) of the plugin is now out on the Asset Store. Main changes are:

+ We FIXED the 64-bit issue with Unity 5.0 where it wouldn't list all the video codecs

+ We FIXED the issue where you can't have multiple recording sessions at once

+ The webcam demo has been updated to allow for multiple simultaneous recordings

+ The capture GUI in the demo now shows capture stats during a recording session.

As usual there is a free trial version downloadable from our website

Thanks,

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hey, this issue has been fixed in the latest release. Thanks for reporting it!

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hey, this issue has been fixed in the latest release. Thanks for reporting it!

8. centur10n

centur10n

Hi!
    I have downloaded the latest version (2.70) and have issue with x264 codec in Unity5
    In Unity4.6 all works good, but in Unity 5 when I start capture with "x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec" codec's log window appears and it freezes and unresponsive. Unity4's build works great without this window. I can't try previous versions of the plugin, because I can't chose this codec in the list.
    I need to use x264 codec in my application. Maybe you can advice another codec or solution for this?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, this can be fixed by disabling logging from the x264 codec. Simply change the logging level to 'none'. I hope that helps. We will add a note for this to the documentation.

10. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Version 2.72 has just been released. This version mostly just fixes compatibility issues with the new Unity 5.1

Links:
    Purchase at the Unity Asset Store
    Visit Website (FREE demo download and detailed docs)

Thanks,

11. newgaze

newgaze

It is a great asset, what I'm looking for.

I have questions.

I use multi webcams.
    Can I directly capture stream of the webcam?

If I can't that,
    Do I must use a WebCamTexture?
    Is it possible to capture invisible WebcamTexture on screen?

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,
    Yes, we have a demo included in the free trial called 'WebcamCaptureDemo' that captures multiple webcams (using WebCamTexture). The Movie Capture plugin can capture directly from any Unity textures and so since WebCamTexture is also a texture it can grab it too. The WebCamTexture doesn't have to be displayed on screen no. Your best bet might be to check our the demo of that on the website.
    Thanks,

13. newgaze

newgaze

I play demo.
    I don't see audio source.
    because the name is korean? how can I see?

Attached Files:

• demo.png
      demo.png
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Ahh yes, there must be a unicode issue :( We will look into this problem! Thanks for reporting the bug - hope to have it fixed soon.

15. sam598

sam598

Hi Andrew!

Great to see all of the new updates, finally being able to use AVPro in 64 bit applications is fantastic.

However I'm having issues with getting AVPro to recognize one 64 bit codec in particular; CineForm.

I've tried it one two machines, a laptop and a desktop. On the laptop 64 bit builds will recognize CineForm fine. However on the desktop it will only recognize CineForm on a 32 bit build.

Other installed codecs like Lagarith and x264 show up on both 32 and 64 builds and on both machines.

I've tried installing and uninstalling GoPro Studio, Quicktime and Adobe Premiere several times and nothing changes. I know it's a long shot, but I wondered if you might have any insight.

Both machines are running Windows 8.1, AVPro Movie Capture 2.72, and were tested with both Unity 4.6 and 5.1.

Thanks again!

----- EDIT -----

So apparently the latest version of CineForm is broken. The proper version is coming out next week.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  16. eco_bach

eco_bach

When I try to record videos using the MovieCaptureDemo scene using ANY codec, I get an all black video. Is this a codec issue or a settings issue within Unity?

17. eco_bach

eco_bach

Ok making progress. The all black playback is a codec issue in both Windows media Player and the Windows QT player. If I use VLC I can see the videos. However, now I have a color cast issue. The videos appear all blue regardless of codec

Summary
    1 - from Camera CAN record but videos all have a blue purple cast

2 - from Scene> no errors but video files are all 64kb, obviously no data is being saved

Help please!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  18. newgaze

newgaze

I sometime need to record only audio.
    Can I record audio only without video to mp3 or wav?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  19. njtoothman

njtoothman

I'd like to know this too.

But the other reason I came here was: I downloaded the trial and imported it into a project. Then later I bought, downloaded, and added the full version of the plugin. However, the watermark is still showing up on recorded videos. How do I get rid of it? Is there something I missed in the upgrade process?

20. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

This showed that it may be possible, but then in July 2012

In 2012 it was told that you were interested in doing a Mac/iOS version, but then as said was told in 2012 also that there was no plan to do it, and now I wonder if in 2015 there is any possible plan to make it, as for now still there is only Windows version available.

The reason I am asking this is because this seems to be one of the best recording videos assets available that makes the things in a very easy and well done way but the big problem is that I am forced to use a MacOS because I am making a game for Mac and iOS.

Thanks

Best regards

Claudio

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  21. lb_cumt

lb_cumt

Hello! I'm a user from China,so,If I buy the AVPro Movie Capture,may i use it for business free forever?Thanks for your answer to me quickly,so worried!Thanks!

22. lb_cumt

lb_cumt

I'm sorry!THe AVPro Movie Capture could change its video Output and higher resolution?

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes you should able to use it forever yes.
    This plugin doesn't yet have upsample ability, but hopefully in an upcoming version.

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

You need to copy the DLLs from the new package in the /Assets/AVProMovieCapture/Plugins folder over the demo DLLs in the /Assets/Plugins folder :)

25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Audio only..that's interesting. I actually have some code floating around to record to WAV so we could include that in the next release.

26. syntystudios

syntystudios

Getting an error -
    InvalidOperationException: Handle is not pinned.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.GCHandle.AddrOfPinnedObject () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.InteropServices/GCHandle.cs:97)
    AVProUnityAudioCapture.get_BufferPtr () (at Assets/AVProMovieCapture/Scripts/AVProUnityAudioCapture.cs:21)
    AVProMovieCaptureFromScene+<FinalRenderCapture>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/AVProMovieCapture/Scripts/AVProMovieCaptureFromScene.cs:173)

1) Unity 4.6
    2) Plugin version 2.72
    5) Uncompressed
    6) Using the UI panel

27. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmmm strange. That error seems to be related to audio, what happens if you tell it not to record audio? Do the other demos work ok? Is it just Unity 4.6.0, or 4.6.something? Thanks,

28. syntystudios

syntystudios

Unity 4.6.6f2
    If I tell it not to record audio, the error doesn't appear but if I open the demo scene "CameraCaptureDemo" and record with audio the error doesn't show and the audio is recorded.

29. syntystudios

syntystudios

Fixed - I dropped the "AVProUnityAudioCapture" script onto the gameobject with the audio source and now there are no errors and it records audio!

Thanks for your help and good luck with the sale!

30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks, I'm glad it's working now. We'll look into that to make sure its easier in the future. We also have another release coming up soon which increase the capture speed when using the CaptureFromCamera script.

Cheers,

syntystudios likes this.
  31. czuczr

czuczr

First of all, i really like your products! ;-) I use most of the plugins that you have for Unity.

I would like to use Spout(https://github.com/leadedge/Spout2) to transfer texture feed from Unity to an other winform program.
    There is a plugin(https://github.com/sloopidoopi/Spout4Unity) for unity to do this which has a Texture2d input.

As I see, AVProMovieCapture is using native grabber to capture the screen that is much more effective then render all the cameras into one texture.
    Is it possible to convert the nativegrabber data into Texture2d? Or i will loose the performance on conversion?

There is a NamedPipe functionallity, that's sound interesting too ;-)

An other question, what kind of system setup would you recommend to make realtime capture for FullHD resolution? We have a full hd videocamera stream and a hap codec video file(fullhd) running at the same time. I used your prefered codecs but framerates, framedropes are not acceptable on an i7 laptop. The captured video can have lower resolution, HD. 30Fps would be nice.

Thank you!

32. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Like @eco_bach, scene recording creates empty black files and camera recording results in blue-tinted results. Your asset seems fantastic -- I'd love to see this issue resolved!

33. eco_bach

eco_bach

I think this may be due to using Linear mode. Try gamma instead.I was told that Linear mode support is coming in an update(hopefully soon!)

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes @eco_bach is right - update coming out really soon now :) For the moment please check your colorspace settings.

35. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@eco_bach, @AndrewRH: You are absolutely correct. Switching to gamma mode fixed the video. I had wondered if that might be the issue -- but alas, that is a deal-breaker for me. I absolutely need linear lighting.

I'm happy to wait until the next update to see this resolved, though. Thank you so much!

36. Capital-E-MediaLab

Capital-E-MediaLab

Hi guys

Have just gone ahead and made the purchase after the latest update.

I have a couple of questions/requests, if I may.
    • I really like that I can press 'Start Capture' and Unity starts playing. What are the chances that it could be changed so when you 'Stop Capture' Unity stops playing?
    • Also, I often do timed recordings. How difficult would it be to integrate a timer, so if I wanted my movie to stop after 45 seconds, instead of manually having to press the the stop button, that could be done automatically?

Thanks for the great product!

37. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

Hi Andrew,

We still have this problem in Windowed mode. We use a Rendering Texture to display an image from a camera. That texture goes wild as soon as we start to record a video using AVP Movie Capture, but only when running in Windowed mode, no problem in fullscreen mode.

Unfortunately, our app is kind of a tool for many of our customers, so they use it in Windowed mode...

Any chance it will be fix in the next release ?

Thank you.

-------------------------------

[EDIT :]

I have to had that this happens when VSync is activated in the Quality Settings.
    When Vsync Count is set on "Don't Sync", the problem don't show up.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We will look into this and should get it fixed for the next release.

The problem may be caused because when the capture starts it actually toggles vsync off to get the best capture results. I believe in windowed mode this actually causes Unity to reinitialise the graphics context (also the window moves to the middle of the screen). We'll look into it.

Thanks,

39. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We will look into this and should get it fixed for the next release.

The problem may be caused because when the capture starts it actually toggles vsync off to get the best capture results. I believe in windowed mode this actually causes Unity to reinitialise the graphics context (also the window moves to the middle of the screen). We'll look into it.

Thanks,

40. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm not sure everyone would want Stop Capture to also stop their Unity game....Having it not stop Unity also means you can do further captures easily.

Yes we'll try to add a timer option into the next release. In the meantime this shouldn't be difficult to add yourself via scripting.

Thanks for the suggestions, you'll see at least one of them in the next update.

Cheers,

41. newgaze

newgaze

Can I control recording audio volume?

42. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

Hi Andrew,

We found a new bug (with Unity 5.1) : in Fullscreen mode, recorded video will be black unless the application runs in screen native resolution.
    So, on a laptop with native resolution of 1366*768, running the app in 1280*720 will lead to a black video.
    Same thing happens with a native 1920*1080 LCD screen with any other resolution.

No problem in the Editor, only in Build.

43. njtoothman

njtoothman

Hi there,

I've enjoyed using the plugin! Some of my users were complaining that the video output is too dark when I use the fast pixel format option, which converts from RGB to YCbCr (saved as YUY2 in AVProMovieCapture_RGBA2YCbCr.shader). I was looking at the wiki page for BT.601 conversion (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr#ITU-R_BT.601_conversion ) and I might have found the solution.

The original shader code looks like this:
    float y1 = yuv1.x;
    float v = saturate((yuv1.y + yuv2.y) * 0.5 + 0.5);
    float y2 = yuv2.x;
    float u = saturate((yuv1.z + yuv2.z) * 0.5 + 0.5);

If you look at the wiki page linked above for the digital YCbCr conversion, there's a constant of 16 added to Y' (assuming RGB values are in [0...255]. Cb and Cr have 128 added to them both. In the shader code, you see 0.5 added to the averages of v and u, which corresponds to the 128 constant. However, there's no constant added for Y'. So I tried adding 16/255 to my y1 and y2 values and it seemed to fix the luminance! No more dark scenes :) The modified code is below:
    float y1 = saturate(yuv1.x + 0.0627451);
    float v = saturate((yuv1.y + yuv2.y) * 0.5 + 0.5);
    float y2 = saturate(yuv2.x + 0.0627451);
    float u = saturate((yuv1.z + yuv2.z) * 0.5 + 0.5);

The colors aren't a perfect match, but I think this puts the luminance where I want it to be - if I figure out how to correct the rest I'll write a follow-up.

Attached Files:

toothmang likes this.
  44. njtoothman

njtoothman

I think I fixed the color now too! I'm using the weights for analog YCbCr RGB conversion (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr#ITU-R_BT.601_conversion ) in AVProMovieCapture_Shared.cginc. So now the RGB2YUV function looks like this:

float4
    rgb2yuv(float4 rgb)
    {
    float r = rgb.r;
    float g = rgb.g;
    float b = rgb.b;
    float y = 0.299 * r + 0.587 * g + 0.114 * b;
    float u = -0.168736 * r - 0.331264 * g + 0.5 * b; // different weights for u and v
    float v = 0.5 * r -0.418688 * g - 0.081312 * b;

return float4(y, u, v, 0.0);
    }

Same screenshot as my last post, only with the results of this change appended to the bottom. Hope this helps anyone else who had trouble with luminance!

Attached Files:

toothmang likes this.
  45. thed-venth

thed-venth

hi there,
    I already tried the trial version
    but I got freeze while capturing from scene
    also I need to record audio from microphone which is when I tried in the trial version doesn't record
    is there anyway to fix it?
    or perhaps it's all available at the paid version?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  46. timothyallan

timothyallan

When using the "Virtual Reality Supported" checkbox in 5.2, I'm getting a constant black screen. Unchecking it works, albeit with a ridiculously low FPS, which is another issue I need to work out.
    I've tried 3 different codecs, linear, gamma, multiple FPS settings, and all still the same result. It hangs Unity, or produces a black screen.
    Any suggestions?

Looks like it's back to OBS for me as I also need Linear support :S

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  47. pinklover91

pinklover91

Hello,
    I have some questions about AV Pro Movie Capture on unity,
    I tried to capture an mp4 video, when I play it on computer, it works fine, using x264 codec with setting:
    Zero Latency = TRUE
    Profile = Baseline
    Level = 3.0
    Preset = Faster
    Output Mode: VFW
    VFW FourCC: H264

With audio codec uncompressed or MPEG4 Layer3, then I transferred the video into my iOS device, it works fine.
    But it doesn’t work on all android phone, it’s either unable to play the video, or played video with no sound.
    I tried to use all the available audio codec available, and download nero aac codec, and none of it seems to work.

Is there any way I can solve the problem, as after I install some audio codec, I don’t know why it doesnt appear on the codec list.

I need to make this video in playable on every Android phone.

Thanks a lot before.

Lynda

48. NicoVar

NicoVar

Hi,

Quick question: I'm trying the demo and when I record a video in MP4, the first second of the video stalls, and from that point on, the video is recorded fine. This does not happen when recording an AVI.

I'm using all recommended settings for the x264vfw codec. Any ideas what may be happening?

Thanks.

49. thrmotta

thrmotta

Is there a way to capture the Editor View? Recording the Hierarchy/Inspector tab?

50. trzmiel

trzmiel

Is it possible to capture to mov files on PC?