Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi MoHoe,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem! Please give me some details so we can try to fix the bug.

1) Unity version
    2) Plugin version
    3) Rendering API: DX9/DX11/OpenGL
    4) GPU type
    5) Any difference between in-editor and standalone build?
    5) Which codec are you using?
    6) Which plugin component are you using? AVProMovieCaptureFromScene?

Thanks!

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Samuraibh,

Sorry, Unity webplayer apps do not have access to native plugins so it won't work.

Thanks,

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi MorphVGX,

Could you screenshot the list of audio codecs listed? Are you using the latest version of the plugin (v2.3)?

I think the issue with compression audio from Unity is caused by the fact that Unity audio is floating point and many codecs do not support this as input. We will add floating point to integer conversion for Unity audio in the next update.

Recording from mic should work better as these devices generally use integer audio. You can actually set up the quality and rate in Windows by changing your recording device settings.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I also notice that only microphones (usb and realtek) are detected". Does your system have other audio input devices that aren't being detected?

Thanks,

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi msaif,

Could you give more details on the problem you're having?

1) Unity version
    2) Plugin version
    3) GPU type
    4) Any difference between in-editor and standalone build?
    5) Which codec are you using?
    6) Which plugin component are you using? AVProMovieCaptureFromScene?

This will help us fix the bug you're experiencing.

Thanks,

5. GodModeTech

GodModeTech

I don't wish to record from the mic on my current project. What I tried to say is that other audio devices should be displayed, such as speakers, not only microphones, am I wrong?
    These are the audio codecs and devices listed.
    $Audio codecs and devices.png

The main page says about version 2.2. Where does it says something about a version 2.3?
    Thanks for your reply.

6. picard_tba

picard_tba

@AndrewRH

Ok that is pretty bad.^^ Would it be possible to stream a video through the web with a build for Windows ? So not via the webplayer ... ?

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

No, I don't know of any plugins that can do video streaming I'm afraid...

8. DJ_Z

DJ_Z

hello here ! I had the same problem yesterday , do you know how to fix it now. I need your help so mach ! thanks!

9. DJ_Z

DJ_Z

hello ,I encountered with the same problem, the version of AVPro Movie Campture I used is V2.02 , and that of unity is v4.2.1. Howerer when I try with unity version 3.7.5, the output file is totally normal . so I guess it is something about the unity version !

I am sorry for my poorly English, but ,trust me ! I had try my best to explain my point .Also ,this plugin very wonderful.
    best wish !

10. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Since the plugin is only for recording there is no need to display audio output devices such as speakers. We only display devices that can be used for recording. Some audio drivers create an audio recording device from the speakers, but this would be listed in the list of recording/input devices.

Version 2.3 should be on the asset store?

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

What exactly is the problem? You should try updating to the latest version (2.3) on the Asset Store.

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

Happy Holidays! We're happy to announce a new version of the plugin with some nice features to help video capture productivity.

Version 2.4 is now available on the Unity Asset Store. The new Editor Window has been improved quite a bit. Some people might not know about it since it was only added in version 2.3 so let me give a quick introduction.

$editorMenu.png

The new Editor Window can be accessed from the "Window" menu in Unity and can be snapped into your Unity editor GUI so you can always have video capture on demand.

$AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.png

This window is really handy for making captures directly from Unity. It allows you to set up all of your capture settings and remembers them between sessions. The nice thing about this window is that you don't have to add anything to your scene and you can capture videos whenever you want to. It also has a handy "Open Last Video" which opens an Explorer window on the last video file that was created.

We have also improved our documentation and it now includes a handy section on how to best configure video codecs for real-time capture.

Don't forget to take a look at the plugin website where you can also download a demo to test the capture plugin. As it's a standalone built demo you won't be able to test the new Editor Window but it should still give you a good the capture capabilities.

Looking forward to feedback. And remember if you have any issues please email us with as much information as possible about the problem so we can have the best chance of fixing it.

Thanks,

13. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Version 2.42 released which should fix the reported bugs of vertical flipping.

14. DavidRDev

DavidRDev

I know it's windows only but will it work on a web build running on a Windows PC?

Any plans to include that in the future?

15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm afraid not. The web player cannot use native plugins so this isn't possible.

Cheers,

16. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

You solved the flip issue but now I'm getting this error after coming out of configure codec.
    The codec I'm configuring is x264, I'm using the settings from your docs

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:222)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayout.cs:265)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/EditorGUI.cs:5053)
    AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AVProMovieCapture/Editor/AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.cs:535)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

17. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi MoHoe,

This error message isn't crucial. It's just a message from Unity's GUI system becoming confused as we're opening windows modal dialogs inside the OnGUI function.

We have fixed this in the new version though.

Thanks,

18. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Andrew,

Since the update I can't see the option for playback speed.. I would like to slow down the fps but record it to 30fps? what am i missing?

Also I'm not clear on how to use offline mode properly. does offline mode work in standalone build?

I'm using Unity Pro, so im using the scene script.

Could you explain the best methods to get the best quality output?

Thanks

19. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, I haven't made the update to the asset store yet as I'm having trouble connecting to it. I shall upload the new version (2.44) soon.

The frame rate is the rate at which the video should play back. It will try to capture at this rate so that the playback will be smooth. We don't have any time warping features. If you want to slow things down the best thing to do is to record at a high frame rate (60) and then adjust the timing in a video editor so it plays back at another rate. You could also try experimenting with Time.timeScale variable in Unity.

Offline mode will simply capture as fast as possible but it will never skip frames. This is similar to creating a render of an animation in 3ds max or Maya. The resulting video could play back at 30fps, but record at a different frame rate (anything from 0.1fps to 200fps) depending on the scene complexity, codec settings and machine specs. This mode isn't suited for anything interactive.

Real-time mode is for interactive capturing.

For best quality output you can use the Lagarith or x264 codec with the suggested settings from the documentation. If you're having an issue with quality then please give details.

Thanks,

20. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

you used to have these two options:

Playback fps
    Record fps

now theres only playback fps

21. miacoviello

miacoviello

Hi,
    I've been using this and noticed that the recordings are appearing backwards for some reason. Any idea why this is? For the graphics, its not really a big deal but the text on the screen also appears backwards. This is only when recording, when playing the game I'm recording for everything is fine on the screen.

22. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for working with me to help identify the issue. It turned out to be that the Build Settings were set to Android and Player Settings set to target OpenGL ES1.x. This causes Unity to run an OpenGL emulator in Windows and results in upside-down captures.

I've added this to the FAQ now. If you do get upside-down captures please check the latest FAQ on how to resolve it. Generally though this shouldn't affect most people.

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

It did? I don't remember that. Perhaps it was many many versions ago?

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Version 2.46 has just been submitted to the store.

This version has many minor GUI tweaks and a couple of fixes for some rare UI crash bugs.

25. picard_tba

picard_tba

Hey AndrewRH,

I am currently working on a project for my thesis. To wrap it up. I want to capture a video on the one hand and on the other I want to import this video back into Unity.
    So I thought that a good solution would be to capture the video with AVPro Movie Capture (x264wvf - H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC Codec) and import it with AVPro Quicktime. Fortunatly the capturing process works great (I get the required resolution in a nice and fresh avi File; while the performance is good)... but unfortunatly I cannot get it to work with AVPro Quicktime :-/ it does not show a video or even the audio :-/
    When I change the Codec (AVPro Movie Capture) to something else (like Xvid MPEG-4 Codec) I can get at least the audio - but still... no video.

Any idea why this is happening ? I do not get any Errors... Only when I import the captured video into the asset folder of the AVPro Quicktime Project I get this line:

Could not find QuickTime video codec for 'x264' on your computer. Please install this codec and reimport the movie.

I hope you can help me :)

26. Ronnie_0

Ronnie_0

I get this error when I open the Movie Capture window:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.TempContent (System.String[] texts) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/EditorGUIUtility.cs:215)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUI.Popup (Rect position, Int32 selectedIndex, System.String[] displayedOptions, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/EditorGUI.cs:1761)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.Popup (Int32 selectedIndex, System.String[] displayedOptions, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/EditorGUI.cs:4541)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.Popup (Int32 selectedIndex, System.String[] displayedOptions, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/EditorGUI.cs:4537)
    AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.ShowConfigList (System.String title, System.String[] items, System.Boolean[] isConfigurable, System.Int32 itemIndex, Boolean showConfig) (at Assets/AVProMovieCapture/Editor/AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.cs:395)
    AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AVProMovieCapture/Editor/AVProMovieCaptureEditorWindow.cs:613)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

I moved the plugins to the Plugins folder, do I need to do anything with the editor scripts?

27. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Unfortunately QuickTime doesn't support most AVI file formats. You should have rather used our Windows Media plugin.

If you want to switch to the Windows Media plugin please email us so we can make arrangements to refund you for your purchase of AVPro QuickTime.

Otherwise you could use another soon (such as Handbrake or FFMPEG) to convert your video AVI video into a MP4 video (our recommendation, as it plays well on all devices and platforms).

Thanks,

28. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Ronnie, I believe that crash is happening because your machine doesn't expose any audio recording devices. I will update the plugin so this crash doesn't happen. Thanks for reporting the issue! :)

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Please update to the latest version on the Asset Store. That bug should be fixed now. Thanks,

30. Ronnie_0

Ronnie_0

Thank you, the Movie Capture window is working. I seem to be having another problem, however, though I'm not sure it's a problem with the plug-in. When I capture from scene, the video works perfectly. But when I capture from a specific camera, the resulting movie is all black but has the proper length.

31. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Ronnie, that's strange... I presume the demo scene that captures from camera works fine?

There must be something specific in your scene that's causing this... Any ideas? Perhaps you could send over your scene?

32. Benoit Dufresne

Benoit Dufresne

Hey there,

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to know this or not. It seemed to me when I downloaded this asset that I could record either the in-game sounds from an audio listener, either from another device, say a mic. I need to record from mic (which will incidentally record some audio from the speakers [no playback of mic into speaker]). Is it possible to take JUST the mic audio? I can't figure out how I'd do it - the audio capture script seems to only take audio from a listener in-game.

33. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Hi,
    I'm having some trouble with capturing a video using a key to stop the capture. I have a simple scene with the AVProMovieCaptureFromScene and AVProMovieCaptureGUI script attached to the camera . I can start the capturing with the key I selected as capture key but when I hit the key a second time to stop the capture the application hangs and I have to destroy the whole process with the processmanager from windows. It doesn't make a difference if I work in the editor or in a published EXE.(But the video is captured proper.) If I stop with the CaptureGUI there is no problem. :confused:

Windows 7 64 bit/ Unity 4.3.1 / AVProMovieCApure vers 2.48

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, yes that's very much possible. You are correct, the audio script is only used for in-game Unity audio capture. You can record from the microphone in a number of ways:

1) Using the new Editor Window (go to Window menu then select AVPro Movie Capture). This has a nice and simple UI that will let you select your audio recording device.
    2) Using the GUI that comes with the demos you can also select the audio device to record from.
    3) Using the Inspector with the capture script set "forceAudioDeviceIndex" to 0. It defaults to -1 which means no audio device is selected for recording. 0 is the first device which is usually fine. Otherwise can you change this index to the index of the device you want to use.

Hope that helps,

35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for reporting this bug sloopidoopi! We're looking into it now and will have a fix soon.

Cheers,

36. conr4d

conr4d

Hi,
    I have a problem with recording. The all I get is that kind of file. It does not create new files. I cannot add it to any of video softwares. I do record with Lagarith, Unity 4.3.
    $error.jpg

37. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Seems like there is a problem with the extension? Can you not rename it to ".avi"?

38. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We've just released version 2.5 of AVPro Movie Capture plugin! You can update to the new version via the Asset Store.

Changes:

Trial Version
    We've now created a .unitypackage that anyone can download to try out this asset. You'll find the link on the plugin web page.

Better Setup
    Previously you had to manually copy the plugin folder to the root of your project. Now there's a little setup wizard that does this for you.

Better in-editor Window
    This handy tool now has more options, including ability to capture from a specific camera in the scene and better control over where the movie file is placed.

Other
    As usual we've fixed a number of minor bugs that people have reported, and done some minor optimisations here and there.

Thanks go to everyone who's helped reporting issues so we can fix them :)

39. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Great update! The problem with capture via keystroke is gone :D
    The only thing I have to mentioned is that it would be great when the Autohide UI feature would also work when I start capture via key. Right now it only works when I hit the play button on the UI.

40. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Great idea sloopidoopi, we'll add it into the next release after v2.52.

41. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

New version 2.52 has just been released

This version just fixes a bunch of minor bugs and has some small UI improvements.

Enjoy!

42. JChilton

JChilton

Is there anyway i can use the output generated to playback the movies using Unity's MovieTexture?
    I've tried using Theora/Vorbis codecs, yet anything I create is just unplayable. File inspector's dont even show the outputs as using the selected codecs. (even though the unity log says it is so)

43. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Unity's MovieTexture importer uses QuickTime to read the video files so any video you produce must be QuickTime compatible. Generating an MP4 video should be compatible.

44. JChilton

JChilton

Hey there,
    I'm using the moviecapturefromtexture, yet every second run, it freezes 2 seconds in, stuck in an endless sleeping loop.
    Any insight into this?

$captureHang.png

45. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm that sounds like a logic bug. We're looking into this now and will let you know. Thanks for reporting it!

46. PinyoSagaBoy

PinyoSagaBoy

How i get to 30 fps with 1080p in realtime.

CPU 20%
    GPU Load 27%

Why it cant get more than that

I use fraps or Action! i get 60 fps

Thank you for help

Attached Files:

47. CoventrySG

CoventrySG

Hi,
    I am interested in buying the plugin. I'm just wondering can I record the audio from both Unity and my microphone and mix the audio together. From what i see in the demo, you can only choose Unity audio OR microphone, can I record BOTH? I choose Stereo Mix but the unity sound is very soft. Any solution for that ?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  48. kamchy

kamchy

Why it swaps colors when I record scene?
    Normal game -> Output video

49. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi, if you were using Unity 4.5 then the you should upgrade to the latest version (released today) which has 4.5 support. Hopefully that will fix your colour swapping issue. Otherwise let us know.

Thanks,

50. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

This should be fixed in the latest version. Thanks again for reporting it.