Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ImmotionMorris

ImmotionMorris

Ok, new problem with a different experience (plugin fully updated) but this robot arm is getting sheared in half by the camera capture (circled in the screenshots) - it happens with a couple of other meshes as well. I've pulled the near clipping back to 0.01 so it's not this - not sure what else can be done to rectify.

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. seabits

seabits

Strange. Is your robot arm using a skinned mesh renderer? There's an option in that component "Update when offscreen" that you can try setting to true in the inspector. Does that help?

3. ImmotionMorris

ImmotionMorris

That worked perfectly - thanks for the advice!

seabits likes this.
  4. sam598

sam598

iOS 15 now has support for recording ProRes on some devices. Is it possible to select this codec using NativeForceVideoCodecIndex or does the underlying native plugin need to be updated?

5. NathanRH

NathanRH

That will require a native plugin update. We'll see what we can do about adding support for this. iOS 15 is still pretty new so we're still exploring what features we can add. Hopefully soon though :)

Thanks,

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.0 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • General
      • Added support for writing captures to user Pictures/Video folder
      • Added prefix to native functions to help prevent name collisions
    • macOS / iOS
      • Added support for writing captures to the Photo Library
    • Windows
      • Fixed Windows 7 support and support for older systems without D3D11.1
    Bug fixes
    • macOS / iOS
      • #125 Fixed crash caused by stopping a capture when nothing had been captured
    • iOS
      • Fixed issue where video captures would fail on versions of iOS prior to 13.0 due to inability of mediaservd to use a provided folder for temporary files

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or to our Github Issues

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.1 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • iOS
      • #116 Added some configuration options to SetMicrophoneRecordingHint()
    • Windows
      • Upgraded some D3D11/12 internal code to new AVProCore
    Bug fixes
    • iOS
      • #132 Replaced libAVProMovieCapture.a with AVProMovieCapture.m to avoid bitcode compilation issues when archiving projects

8. akalegman

akalegman

Hello people at Renderheads.

I am using Movie Capture Pro to record a WebCamTexture, which is all great - however the client needs the exported MP4 to 'boomerang', as in it plays forwards and then backwards.

- Is this something that I can accomplish using Movie Capture Pro?
    - If so, can you point me in the right direction!

Thanks

PS: Does Movie Capture Pro export GIF files?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  9. seabits

seabits

Hiya,

Nope, no boomerang or gif exports possible unfortunately! AVPro Movie Capture doesn't include any built-in codecs, but instead relies on those already included with the operating system. Have a look here for more details.

10. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Which platform is this on?
    The bitrate is a hint and the encoder does it's best to match it. If you want to match it perfectly I believe try setting the keyframe interval to "1".

Thanks,

11. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.2 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • iOS
      • Enabled fragmented file writing with the fragment interval set to 30 seconds
      • Enabled background processing when stopping the capture so that file writing should complete if the application is moved to the background
      • Now automatically stop captures when an application is paused
      • Audio session will no longer automatically be adjusted when capturing from the microphone if it has already been configured for recording
    Bug Fixes
    • General
      • Fixed Camera Capture demo scene null exception
    • Windows
      • Fixed Ambisonic EntryPointNotFound exception
    • macOS
      • #134 Fixed issue with UnityEditor.StandaloneOSX.MacOSCodeSigning not being available in Unity 2020.1

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I suspect there is a limit with the encoder. If you increase the resolution or frame rate of your video, then you would be able to hit a high bitrate, but for a fixed resolution + frame rate there will be a limit how high the encoder can go.

There's currently no way to know the used bitrate without manually inspecting the resulting file. You could write some code to analyse the file afterwards and extract the video track bitrate.

13. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.3 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • General
      • Added unsafe path for audio capture from AudioRenderer that generates less garbage (Unity 2018.1 and above)
      • CaptureAudioFromAudioRenderer memory usage optimised (Unity 2019.3 and above)
    • macOS / iOS
      • Reduced memory consumption when capturing audio
    Bug fixes
    • macOS / iOS
      • Fixed issue where "Browse Last" and "View Last Capture" would fail due to the paths being percent encoded incorrectly

14. NathanRH

NathanRH

You could work out the bitrate by looking at the file size as it's being written. Calculate MB/second rate the file is growing by then multiply by 8 to get the approximate bitrate.

Thanks,

15. NathanRH

NathanRH

Perhaps you could try the HEVC / H.265 encoder?

16. seabits

seabits

What do you mean by still image? How are you trying to read the file? Have you updated your GPU drivers? What resolutions are you outputting here?

17. seabits

seabits

Regarding HEVC - are you using Windows 10? Windows 10 no longer ships with HEVC, but the HEVC Extensions can be bought on the Microsoft store.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding bitrate. Could you give a specific example? As we've said above - there's not much we can do about this. The Microsoft encoder takes a hint and deals with it in its own way, over which we have no control. It would be good to test your use-case on a Mac, if you have access to one, as the Mac encoder should give you greater control and consistency.

18. stefanob

stefanob

Hello,

I try to set a video codec at runtime using AVProCapture.NativeForceVideoCodecIndex = x. But no matter which index I set, Movie Capture always uses the first one (H264).
    The CodecManager finds several other ones ("Search by name" is unchecked in the inspector).
    Any idea?

Thanks!

[EDIT]
    If I set the selected codec name as a single value in the priority list it seems to work. Here if the user selects "HEVC" from a dropdown:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AVPro.NativeForceVideoCodecIndex = -1;
    2. AVPro.VideoCodecPriorityWindows = new string[] { "HEVC" };
    The problem is now with other codecs found by the CodecManager. For example on my computer it finds "DV Video Encoder". When I select it I get an exception:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProMovieCapture.CaptureBase.GenerateFilename () (at Assets/Plugins/RenderHeads/AVProMovieCapture/Runtime/Scripts/Internal/CaptureBase.cs:1486)

[EDIT] I kind of solved it for me. If I set AllowManualFileExtension = true and set the extensions for each codec from my own List of allowed codecs it works.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  19. admin_gzoe

admin_gzoe

How can I record audio?
    I've attached the Capture Audio (From Audio Listener) component to an object that has an Audio Listener component, and set it to the Unity Audio Capture field of the Capture From Camera component, but when I start capturing video, the frame rate drops drastically, and the audio is not recorded.
    The version of Unity is 2020.3.21f1.

20. seabits

seabits

Hi,
    It should be working - hard to say without more detail. Could you please log an issue on our Github and fill out all the information asked for in the provided template so our technical team can look into this for you.

Thanks!

21. sasha1314

sasha1314

Hi! Is there a way to record from 2 cameras in a stack to two separate video files?

22. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Hey, I recently purchased this asset and it's been working great! I just have a quick question: I want to populate a UI dropdown menu with a list of enabled/available encoders, but it seems like if I do the following, it includes all of them regardless of if they're installed or not. I'm on Windows but want this to work on Mac as well. If I try to StartCapture() with an uninstalled codec selected, nothing happens.

How can I only show usable codecs?
    Thanks!

Code (CSharp):
    1.  void setEncoderOptions()
    2.     {
    3.         encoderDropdown.ClearOptions();
    4.         List<TMP_Dropdown.OptionData> encoderOptions = new List<TMP_Dropdown.OptionData>();
    5.         foreach (Codec codec in CodecManager.VideoCodecs)
    6.         {
    7.             UnityEngine.Debug.Log(codec.Name + " - " + codec.Index);
    8.             TMP_Dropdown.OptionData data = new TMP_Dropdown.OptionData();
    9.             data.text = codec.Name;
    10.             encoderOptions.Add(data);
    11.         }
    12.         encoderDropdown.AddOptions(encoderOptions);
    13.     }
    EDIT: After playing around with it some more, it looks like only H.264 and HEVC are working on my Windows 11 machine. Is this expected? Meaning I haven't installed other ones?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  23. seabits

seabits

Only H264 and HEVC are supported on Windows. It should also show old DirectShow codecs, but only if it detects that they are installed - it's likely that these don't ship with WIndows 11.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  24. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Yes, that answers it, thanks! I figured it had something to do with Windows 11, thanks for clearing that up :)

seabits likes this.
  25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.5 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • macOS / iOS
      • Added support for multi-channel audio capture from device
      • Added support for requesting user authorisation for audio capture via the plugin (see ScreenCaptureDemo.cs for example)

26. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.6 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • macOS / iOS
      • Improved image capture output when `Stop Mode` is set to `Frames Encoded`
    Fixes
    • General
      • #137 Fixes issue where MP4 post-processing of files > 4GB would corrupt the file due to bug in co64 injector
    • macOS / iOS
      • #146 Fixed issue with the main and graphics threads becoming deadlocked when capturing on Apple Silicon macs
      • #147 Fixed issue with image sequence capture failing due to invalid file path
      • #148 Fixed issue with frames being dropped when capturing in offline mode

27. Coold0wn

Coold0wn

Hello, I have a question. If I build a game for linux that is using this tool, what would happen? Will it be able to start? Crash when trying to run the recording feature? Will I be able to build the game even?

28. ReeeznD

ReeeznD

Since I am not good at English, this is a translation in deepL.
    I'm sorry if it's not clear.

I'm using the trial version to test exporting alpha channel video.

HDRP + Post-Processing + alphaChannel
    I am using Bloom.
    Is it possible to write emitted gradients to the alpha channel as well?

<- Unity | Movie->
    70138f9c2e29a3ef69a0ac85d0c52f34.png 168f323c7fa5177cdf7e54a193631f29.png

29. reetikajain21

reetikajain21

I am using AV Pro Movie Capture for recording unity gameplay for PC / Standalone. I have purchased plugin from unity store.
    Build is working fine but issue is with video output size, *30 sec video size is 180 - 250 MB* depending upon system.
    Output size is very large, how can I reduce the video size ? Please suggest

30. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Hi, I have a quick question: I have a scene with a VideoPlayer component playing on a quad in 3D space. My camera is rendering to a render texture, and has some predefined motion on it (using DoTween).
    I am trying to record the camera's texture at runtime using offline rendering, and this is working fine, but it seems like the video player is playing at full speed while it's rendering. The resulting video has the video player playing super fast because it wasn't slowed down during the offline rendering process. Is this intentional? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

EDIT: I realize I can just set the video's playback speed to match the timescale, but I wasn't sure how that's being set behind the scenes. Is it a preset value, or does it change throughout the render process?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  31. NathanRH

NathanRH

I believe this is up to the implementation of the bloom filter. I guess you could modify it to output to the alpha channel. We only capture what Unity generates.

Post-process effects are notoriously bad when it comes to preserving correct transparency because they aren't usually designed for this - they're mainly used for generating a final image.

Thanks,

32. NathanRH

NathanRH

If you're using offline rendering, then the time step between frames should be constant. If you're capturing at 60fps and your video is 30fps, then you would need to set the Playback Speed to 0.5 - I think that should work, but it may not as I don't think VideoPlayer will wait for the frame to be ready and may just drop the frame. Perhaps you would also need to disable the Drop Frame option in the VideoPlayer

Or you could try a component we built for this case called VideoPlayerController that will control the playback rate of your videos to match the video capture rate. You can try adding that to your scene, thought it's a beta component so it might not work 100%. You also need to add the VideoPlayerController into your Capture component (it's in the Misc section).

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

33. NathanRH

NathanRH

I see you're posted to the Github - someone from our support team will reply there.

34. NathanRH

NathanRH

I'm not actually sure what would happen. In theory it shouldn't produce any major errors, it should just return that it failed to enumerate any codecs and fail to capture. I don't think it would crash...

Do let us know if this is not the case as we're keen to improve compatibility with other platforms.

Thanks,

35. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm a little confused. If my video's framerate is 24, and I'm capturing at 24, shouldn't the playback speed just be 1?
    I tried using the component, but it just slowed the video down way too much.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

36. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

@NathanRH After doing some testing, I think the VideoPlayerController is slowing down the video to match the speed, assuming that the goal is to play it once. Meaning if my video is ten seconds, and my rendering is meant to be 50 seconds, it will slow the video down to play at 1/5th speed, rather than playing the ten-second video five times, properly accounting for the offline-rendering slowdown.
    In my case, I have a looping video that I want to repeatedly play in the background of my scene, like an animated billboard. It seems like the VideoPlayerController doesn't take that into account.

If there's a fix or additional option for the component, that would be great, and I'm sure very useful to many devs and filmmakers! Thanks!

37. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hmm...
    Well our own video player AVPro Video does correctly support capturing in non-realtime. It seems that Unity's VideoPlayer just isn't able to do this..

38. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Oh, interesting. I will probably upgrade to yours in the future, but until then, after some experimentation, I found that this equation works okay enough for setting the right speed regardless of the capture FPS:
    float videoPlaybackSpeed= (float)(videoPlayer.frameRate / videoCapture.FrameRate) / 15f;

It was really trial and error, so I'm not sure why 15 is the magic number. Any ideas that can help shed some light on this?

39. Dan_G

Dan_G

Hi! One of my users has experienced a weird crash on a build that seems related to AVProMovieCapture.
    Here´s a video of the crash:
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...E1BEB!1174&parId=C0FA90FB584E1BEB!181&o=OneUp

And the last few lines of the log:
    [AVProMovieCapture] Start File Capture: 1080x1080 @ 30.00fps [RGBA32] vcodec:'H264' audio source:'Universal Audio Thunderbolt' acodec:'AAC' to file: '/Users/mattmitchell/Dropbox/Blank Tempo/Volta/Exports/VoltaClip_QEWY_2022-01-18_20-57-17_1080x1080.mp4'
    2022-01-18 20:57:17.306 Volta Create[18784:2104206] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[AVAssetWriterInput initWithMediaType:outputSettings:sourceFormatHint:] AudioChannelLayout channel count must be positive'
    *** First throw call stack:
    (
    0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff379b24d7 __exceptionPreprocess + 250
    1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff7052b5bf objc_exception_throw + 48
    2 AVFoundation 0x00007fff33205eb2 -[AVAssetWriterInput dealloc] + 0
    3 AVFoundation 0x00007fff33205919 +[AVAssetWriterInput assetWriterInputWithMediaType:outputSettings:] + 40
    4 AVProMovieCapture 0x0000000127f4c50f AVPMC_EncodeMonoToAmbisonic + 10018
    5 AVProMovieCapture 0x0000000127f449de UnityPluginUnload + 2489
    6 AVProMovieCapture 0x0000000127f4836e AVPMC_CreateRecorderVideo + 460
    7 ??? 0x000000015e55aab4 0x0 + 5877639860
    8 ??? 0x000000015e55a323 0x0 + 5877637923
    9 ??? 0x000000015e558443 0x0 + 5877630019
    )
    libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
    Obtained 0 stack frames.

Computer specs: MacBook Pro 2019 16" with 32GB of RAM, 2TB SSD, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 Processor and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB.

Any ideas why this could happen?

Thanks in advance!
    D

40. seabits

seabits

Hi there,

Could you please fill out a bug report on our Github so our technical team can look into it. It would be useful if you could anything that might help us to reproduce the issue.

Many thanks

41. sasha1314

sasha1314

Hi!
    I am using AV Pro MovieCapture and would like to show a preview after recording (in realtime). So I want to pass the last capture to VideoPlayer.clip, what would be the code to access the last capture?

42. seabits

seabits

Hi there,

You could try;
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(CaptureBase.LastFileSaved))
    2.             {
    3.                 videoPlayer.url = CaptureBase.LastFileSaved;            
    4.             }
    Does that help?

43. Juanola_

Juanola_

Hi! Is it possible to capture WWise audio using offline render??

On the other hand, Im not seeing the option to select loopback when choosing Microphone in the Audio settings.

upload_2022-1-27_16-30-30.png

Im using version 4.7.2

Thanks!

44. seabits

seabits

Hi,

Loopback options are available to select if you open the capture window, otherwise can be searched for by exact name within the component. Loopback is only supported in realtime renders however.

Regarding Wwise support - we're looking into this imminently, please follow updates here.

45. sasha1314

sasha1314

Yes, thanks a lot!

I have another question: if I create a folder in Persistent Data on runtime (where other files related to the session are being saved), how can I assign this path to my CaptureFromTexture via script?

46. seabits

seabits

Hi there,

You can set the capture texture using captureFromTexture.SetSourceTexture(Texture texture), setting the texture to be the RenderTexture set in your VideoPlayer component.

Does that answer your question?

47. sasha1314

sasha1314

Hi,

no what I want to do is set a path, where the video that I am recording should be saved. Right now I can choose the path in the CaptureFromTexture Component editor menu, but I want to assign the path via script, because every time it is gonna be a different folder in the persistent data.
    Also, how can I assign a capture name via script? Every video should have a different index.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  48. NathanRH

NathanRH

Try this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. capture.OutputFolder = CaptureBase.OutputPath.RelativeToProject;
    2. capture.OutputFolderPath = "Captures";
    3. capture.FilenamePrefix =  "MyCapture";

sasha1314 likes this.
  49. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.7.7 has just been released!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes include:

Improvements
    • General
      • #145 Added new component for capturing audio from Wwise in offline rendering mode
    Changes
    • General
      • Added new define symbol AVPRO_MOVIECAPTURE_WEBCAMTEXTURE_SUPPORT` which must now be defined for apps that need to capture from WebCamTexture. This is because on some platforms (iOS, macOS, Android at least) Unity's build system automatically forces webcam permissions for apps with source code containing the string "WebCamTexture", which can be build issues if this feature is not required.
    Fixes
    • General
      • #151 Fixed compile issue with IL2CPP on non-Apple platforms
    • macOS
      • #153 Fixed crash when capturing audio from device due where the number of channels isn't recognised

50. sasha1314

sasha1314

Hi,
    can I also record just an audio to wav. file without video? Is it what the AudioSource To WAV Utility component is for? I cannot find in the documentation how to use it. Basically I want to record the audio from the microphone to a wav. file and assign the name and the saving path via script