Search Unity

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH Thanks for the explanations. It is much clearer now. I will try to make a HD render video Monday to see if I still have the lines problem. But the capture scene change since to work really well.

Quick question. If you only work on windows. Any reason to buy the full edition. I don't beleive Unity works on an Ipad
    so why would you want the IOS version for example. Is it to be able to capture video while playing a game?

Thanks!

2. NathanRH

NathanRH

AVPro Movie Capture runs in the Unity editor, but also in builds. This is useful for making apps/games that have some capture feature. This is why we offer iOS support, as well as macOS and windows :)
    If you work on Windows only, then you probably only need the Windows edition.

Thanks,

3. netpost

netpost

Interesting....Could it be used in Interactive VR 360 and is this hard to implement for a non programmer? I use VR easy which is a great asset to create interactive VR but I am just wondering if you need to actually write scripts to be able to implement capture video in your game. And would It be able to capture in 360 as in the unity editor?

Thanks again!

4. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH I made more test recording HDRP videos and I have very blurry results with AVPro Movie recorder.
    The picture is perfect when recording normal videos but not when recording 360 VR video which is my main use.
    Here is 2 images because the video is to big to upload. One is the blury 360 (4k equilateral image) and the other one the normal picture with half the resolution.(1920x1080). In the 360 video it feel like the camera was moving really fast but it was a fix camera. Thanks for your input. Capture360.JPG Capturenormal.JPG .

5. NathanRH

NathanRH

hmmm cool visuals...
    I'm not sure why that'd happen.....what image filters are you using?

6. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yes.....you should just be able to throw in the CaptureFromCamera360 component on to a GameObject. You can can set it to start capturing when it's Started. You you could disable it...then to start/stop capture just enable/disable the component.

7. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

It sounds simple enough. Thanks for the info.

Not sure, this is an HDRP scene I bought. The thing is that I don't see this problem using 2 others 360 video recording assets. But I prefer to use Avpro Movie Capture because it is simply the fastest movie capture solution for a similar quality. My only concern is I would like to start capturing 360 movies from HDRP projects to raise my production standard.

Thanks again.

8. RodrigoSpilim

RodrigoSpilim

Hi!
    I`m researching different codecs to export videos using AVPro Movie Capture in windows and I would like to know if it is possible, and if so how, to export videos directly to FLV format instead of AVI format.
    The problem is that currently I`m exporting AVI using Lagarith, but my final video format used if FLV and it takes a lot of time to convert the AVI videos to it. If is is not possible to export directly to FLV, would you recommend another codec or approach instead of lagarith/avi to be able to convert the videos faster without losing much quality?

9. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hmm, which asset is it this HDRP scene? Perhaps we can buy it for to try to resolve this issue.

10. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi,
    I'm afraid it's not possible to export to FLV from our plugin. Only AVI and MP4 are supported (and others for image files). Can I ask why you need to use FLV? It's a really old format these days....Would H.264 MP4 not be more suitable?

11. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH You don't have to buy it but Cyber city it is a great asset scene to test HDRP. I upgraded Movie capture to version 4 anyway, the tests were great with the Universal RP (different scene). I also like the update very much. being able to capture thru multiple scene is a great add. Thank you for this nice feature.

Cyber City

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  12. ArneSnackaert

ArneSnackaert

I downloaded the free test version and I want to capture video with multiple cameras, resulting in several videos being saved in the same folder. I read the documentation but I don't quite understand how to achieve this. Could you give me some more information?

13. NathanRH

NathanRH

You should just be able to add a CaptureFromCamera component to each of the cameras that you want to capture... Then for each one set the camera you want to capture here:
    upload_2020-3-6_14-35-4.png

then you may want to give them a different prefix so they each have a different name:
    upload_2020-3-6_14-35-54.png

Let me know if you have any problems with that.

14. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hello there
    Is there any chance to have this plugin for android?

15. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

Do we have a time frame or ETA for h265 in Windows?
    Thank you!

16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

It's something we're considering, but we don't have very much free time to work on this...

17. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Actually we have it working internally....We're aiming to get it out in the 4.2.0 release, which should be within 2 weeks

18. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

This is great news. Thanks you!

19. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.1.0 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store here:
    The trial version can be downloaded from our website:
    Changes include:

Improvements
    • Added support for fractional frame rates, eg 29.97 and 59.94 common in the broadcast industry (for off-line capture this requires Unity 2019.2 and above as it uses the new Time.captureDeltaTime field)
    • Better multi-platform support, added platform specific support for certain options, eg image codec and related UI improvements
    • Demo scenes can now upgrade to HDRP/URP more automatically as they now use an explicit material instead of the default built-in one
    • Windows
      • MF H.264 encoder now has better default bitrate settings to improve quality
      • MF AAC encoder now supports 1/2/4/6 channel audio instead of previously mono only
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed cross-platform compile issues when editor build target set to other platforms
    • Windows
      • Fixed issue where recording Unity audio with H.264 codec could result in video/audio at the wrong speed, or with audio breakups
      • Fixed issue where first capture with high resolution may not encode due to async texture buffers being full and never emptied
    Changes
    • OpenGL and Unity 5.x support on macOS is now marked as deprecated

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or to our Github Issues

20. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Thank you for reply
    Just found another solution!!

21. Lordmin

Lordmin

Hello,

Can't you still change the bit rate?

Our problem is that the file size is too large.

22. NathanRH

NathanRH

This is coming in the next version - promise :)

Could you give us some idea of the codec, resolution and frame-rate you're capturing to?

Also is it real-time, or offline capture?

What sort of bitrate do you hope to achieve and what are you getting right now? (I presume you're using the latest plugin version 4.1.0?)

Thanks,

23. Lordmin

Lordmin

I plan to use windows10.

1.What codec is recommended to perform encoding on Windows 10 for 15 minutes without external graphics?

2. I'm going to shoot 10-20 minutes using the default MF codec on a Windows10 PC. Is it possible?

3. Under certain circumstances, why is the FPS dropping significantly and 'In Unity' constantly being called?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  24. Lordmin

Lordmin

1. The resolution is 1280 X 720.

2. The FPS is 24.

3. It must be real-time capture.

4. It is a situation where the size of capacity should be reduced to less than half by significantly lowering the bit rate. If you lower the other values, the image quality deteriorates too much.

NathanRH likes this.
  25. Lordmin

Lordmin

1.Can I exclude certain UI from recording in Demo00-ScreenCapture configuration?

2.The Demo03-CameraCapture configuration allows you to exclude certain UI, but the frame drop phenomenon seems to get worse. Is performance worse than Demo00-ScreenCapture configuration?

3. If the 'clip' of the AudioSource being recorded changes to a 'null' value during recording, the [In Unity] value goes up and Frame Drop occurs. Is this a bug?
    (The same phenomenon occurs even if AudioSouce is stopped after Play.)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  26. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

I really like the latest version of AVPro Movie capture. Great asset!
    But I just found out an annoying problem while trying to use it in combo with the Unity signal emitter receiver . Basically If I play a scene without recording video, the signal emitter can trigger events (gameObject.SetActive for example) but if I start recording with AVPro Movie capture, no event are triggered anymore.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

27. TDF_Dev

TDF_Dev

Hi.
    I have a question about microphone recording.
    Is there a way to record a microphone recording and Unity internal sound together?
    For now, it seems to be either microphone or Unity sound.
    And is there a codec that can encode to mp4 when using a microphone?
    The avi file is too large.
    Thank you.

28. NathanRH

NathanRH

1) MF H.264 codec should be good enough. It depends on your PC specs of course...
    2) Yes that should be possible...why not? :)

In the next version of the plugin (4.2.0) which should be coming out in a few days, we're adding hardware encoding support (it can even be used on Intel chipsets using QuickSync), so it should hopefully improve performance for you.

3) What do you mean by "In Unity"? Oh do you mean the frame drops..hmmm, this is probably because the encoder is running too slowly, so Unity is dropping frames.

4) In the next version of the plugin, we're exposing more encoding options, so you will be able to control the bitrate and compression options, as currently these are hardcoded or use the defaults of the encoder.

Thanks,

29. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yes you can. I mean, you could just hide it and then it wouldn't appear in the encoded video? If you don't want to hide it, but also don't want it to appear in the encoded video, then you have 2 options:
    1) Use a CaptureFromCamera component instead of CaptureFromScreen
    2) Add the GUITarget (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/GUITargetAttribute.html) attribute to the CaptureGUI script to make it appear on Display 2

Or you could just disable that component and simple launch the AVPro Movie Capture Window (from the Window menu) and then you'll be able to make captures without any UI visible. It really depends on what you're trying to do.

Yes you're correct - capturing from camera currently requires the camera to rerender the scene, which is obviously extra cost. We're hoping to improve this soon and drop the requirement for the rerender. We have an issue for this here https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues/42 which is scheduled for version 4.3.0

Hmmm that does sound like a bug. Could you please explain what you mean by the clip goes to null? Perhaps even a screenshot showing how this is set up? We can then replicate it and fix it in the next update.

Thanks,

30. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hmm that sounds odd. Are you doing a realtime or offline capture?
    I haven't used Signals/Emitters before.. If you could send us an example script/project so that we can replicate the bug, then we can look into it. Please DM to me, or use the unitysupport email on our contact page to send it to us:
    https://www.renderheads.com/contact/

Thanks,

31. NathanRH

NathanRH

Currently there's no built-in way to record both unity and microphones. We do document an unoffical way in Windows in the PDF documentation, please see FAQ item 4 for more details.

Currently we do not support microphone recording when using MP4 on Windows. It is supported on macOS and iOS though. This is something we aim to address in version 4.3.0, here is the issue:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues/17

For AVI files, you could install the x264vfw codec (see the PDF documentation for the best configuration of this). This will give you H.264 compression inside AVI files, so the files will be a lot smaller.

Thanks,

32. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

The problem is while doing offline capture which I do all the time to avoid loosing frames (4k VR). It works well in realtime. I will post you a basic package tomorrow so you can see the problem. Thanks for your help!

NathanRH likes this.
  33. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks for sending us a reproducible case. We have fixed the issue. I've attached a new script for you to try here. Just copy this script over the existing one and hopefully it will work as expected.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

34. NathanRH

NathanRH

Preview of some new things in 4.2.0 which should be out very soon:

upload_2020-4-8_0-3-30.png

35. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.2.0 has just been released!

Changes include:

Improvements
    • Windows
      • Added support for HEVC (H.265) encoding on Windows 10
      • Added support for H.264 / HEVC hardware encoding
    • macOS / iOS
      • Added support for writing HEVC with alpha
    • macOS
      • Changed native plugin from dynamic library to signed bundle to resolve macOS quarantine issues
    • iOS
      • Added support for recording audio from a microphone
      • Changed native plugin from static library to framework to prevent symbol collisions with other plugins
    • General
      • Added support for encoder hints which allow specifying of desired bitrates, quality and other settings
      • Added support for capturing from the Scene View window (selectable from the Camera Selector)
      • A lot of script refactoring, many API improvements, including codec system revamp with new classes like CodecManager
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed bug where plugin would de-initialise too early when multiple simultaneous captures were still running during application quit / editor, resulting in corrupted video files
    • Fixed issue where Timeline markers/signals were not triggered when making an offline render
    Upgrade Notes
    • Some native plugins have changed, so please DELETE the old version of AVPro Movie Capture before installing this update.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  36. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

Thank you so much for fixing this. It works really well now!

Amazing, this will be really useful!

This is the ice on the cake, So happy. Curiously it doesn't seem to encode stereoscopic 360 video with resolution over 2048 x 2048 (1:1 stereoscopic ratio ). I use the 3840 x 3840 resolution along with the H264 codec without any problem and it seems like my video card (GTX 1080) can handle 8k hardware encoding. Do you know if the AVPro movie asset can handle the 3840 x 3840 resolution in h265?

AVPro Movie capture 4.2 is a great update. I can see there's been a lot of work and many new features added since version 3. It is getting to a whole new level. Congratulations and thank you for listening.

37. NathanRH

NathanRH

Oooh thanks for reporting this issue. You're right! This is a bug.... Currently we have limited the HEVC encoder to Level 5.2:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding#Tiers_and_levels
    I will fix this issue and get a new 4.2.1 version out ASAP.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  38. netpost

netpost

That is great news!

Thanks again.

39. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.2.1 has just been released!

Changes include:

Improvements
    • Windows
      • Added some bitrate and quality encoder hints support for Windows 7
    Bug fixes
    • Windows
      • Fixed HEVC encoder to allow above 4K encoding
      • Fixed regression that caused Windows 7 H.264 encodings to fail
    Upgrade Notes
    • Some native plugins have changed, so please DELETE the old version of AVPro Movie Capture before installing this update.

buchayaty likes this.
  40. buchayaty

buchayaty

Hello.
    I really like the AVPro Movie capture. But I have one problem.
    When I capture screen on iOS device, the memory seems to keep increasing.
    Each time run a capture, it increases by about 30-50MB and finally the app quits due to lack of memory.
    Switching scenes or assigning a null to an object and destroying it will not free memory.

I exported your demo project [Demo00-ScreenCapture] to the iOS app and checked it.

My environment.
    • Unity version : 2019.39f1
    • AVPro Movie Capture version: 4.2.1 or 4.2.0 (paid version.)
    • Operating system version: iOS13.2.3(iPad 6th Generation) or iOS 12.1.2(iPhoneX)
    • Capture component used: Capture From Screen. (It seems to be occurring in other capture components as well.)
    • Capture settings (resolution, frame-rate, codec) : I have attached an image.

It doesn't seem to be happening with apps that are exported for macOS.
    Am I misconfiguring the settings required to capture correctly on my iOS device?
    Could you advise me something?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

NathanRH likes this.
  41. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi!

Thanks for reporting the issue with such detail. We have replicated the issue and it has been resolved. We will release the fixed version (4.2.2) in the next few hours.

Thanks!

42. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.2.2 has just been released!

Changes include:

Improvements
    • General
      • Some internal code refactoring for the render event functions
    Bug fixes
    • macOS / iOS
      • Fixed a per-capture memory leak
    Upgrade Notes

43. netpost

netpost

@NathanRH

This is Great! Thank you so much for fixing this!

44. buchayaty

buchayaty

@NathanRH @AndrewRH

> Fixed a per-capture memory leak

That's good news. I'm going to try it.
    Thanks for the quick response!

45. Lordmin

Lordmin

hello!

1. If I wait for <Windows AVPro Capture> version 4.3.0, can the microphone recording function be added?

2. <version 4.2.1 Added some bitrate and quality encoder hints support for Windows 7>
    => When will the Bitrate adjustment for Windows 10 be added?

Thank you for always tryin!

46. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks for the feedback!

1) Yes in 4.3.0 we will add microphone recording on Windows when using the H.264/HEVC codecs (currently microhpone recording on Windows only works with AVI codecs)

2) Bitrate adjustment for windows 10 was added in 4.2.0 so it should be working.

Thanks,

47. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.3.0 has just been released!

Changes include:

Improvements
    • Windows
      • Microphone recording now supported for Media Foundation codecs
    • General
      • Added new DeviceManager class for managing audio input devices (microphones)
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed some issues where the codec resolver caused some codecs to be unusable
    Upgrade Notes
    • If you are upgrading from version 4.2.0 or before then, some native plugins have changed, so please DELETE the old version of AVPro Movie Capture before installing this update.

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.3.1 has just been released!

Changes include:

Bug fixes
    • Fixed null exception regression introduced in 4.3.0 with audio input devices on certain situations
    Upgrade Notes
    • If you are upgrading from version 4.2.0 or before then, some native plugins have changed, so please DELETE the old version of AVPro Movie Capture before installing this update.

49. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.3.2 has just been released!

Changes include:

Bug fixes
    • macOS / iOS
      • Fixed script compile error introduced in 4.3.1
    Upgrade Notes

50. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.3.3 has just been released!

Changes include:

Bug fixes
    • macOS / iOS
      • Fixed issue with green component being lost when capturing with transparency using the Metal renderer in the full version
    Upgrade Notes