Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

On macOS, the machine comes with many codecs already (H.264, HEVC) and has hardware encoding, so it should just work. On Windows there are fewer codecs out of the box, but H.264 is included which should cover many bases. What codec were you wanting to use?

I can't say whether our plugin is the best, but you can certainly test the trial version to see if it suits your needs. It should work fine on a dedicated encoding machine.

I can see no reason why it wouldn't be able to capture multiple Unity sessions at once.

Our plugin can capture at non-realtime rates..So it can for example encode as fast as the machine allows, so you can ready our videos very quickly. In addition there is a "Time Lapse" feature which lets you skip time, so you could create a speeded-up capture.

I hope this information helps.

2. liekong1991

liekong1991

Is there a related API that provides for me to get all the recording bytes(just for network transfer) from one or more sources

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

Hmmm, no I don't think this is possible. We only support recording to video files, or image sequence files.

Thanks,

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.0.0 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store here:
    The trial version can now be downloaded from our website:
    Changes include:

General
    • This is a major version update, so there may be breaking changes. Be careful when upgrading.
    • This is a new product on the Asset Store, but existing owners of AVPro Movie Capture will get a discount to upgrade to the new version.
    • This version removes support for older Unity versions (before 5.6)
    Improvements
    • macOS support!
      • New platform plugin, rock solid, written from scratch
      • Highly optimised and lightweight for professional use
      • GPU hardware accelerated video encoding (when supported)
      • Many video formats including H.264 and HEVC, in both MP4 and MOV containers
      • Supporting both the OpenGL and Metal graphics APIs
      • IL2CPP supported
      • Unity 5.6 - 2019 supported
    • Windows MF H.264 codec performance improvements
    • Improved performance for 360 mono captures
    • Added Desktop as output folder option
    • Added assembly definitions (asmdef files) for modularity and improved script compile times
    • Code improvements via refactoring
    Changes
    • Removed support for Unity 4.x
    • Removed support for Unity 5.5.x and below

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or to our Github Issues

Thanks,

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. G8S

G8S

Hello! I am using AVPro Movie Capture 3.7.4 and can't get it to produce a video longer than 9 seconds.
    My team was using 3.6.10 and updated because we were experiencing the StopCapture() crash and were thrilled you had a fix.
    Previously we were recording 20+ second videos with no issue, now all the videos that are produced are 9 seconds. The console does not log that the capture stops until the correct time has passed, but the produced video is never longer than 9 seconds.
    We are writing to MF H.264, not capturing audio, and using CaptureFromCamera in Unity 2018.4.0f1.
    Any help would be appreciated

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Perhaps you upgraded the plugin and selected the Free version, which has a 10 second limit. If you look at the component in Unity, it should tell you that it's a free trial version or not. You can also look in the Console Window to see which version it logs. If the version number ends with a "t" then it is the trial version.

I think you should close Unity, open it again (this is so that the DLL file isn't locked which can prevent the upgrade from working properly), and then immediately go to the Asset Store and install the "AVPro Movie Capture 3.x" package.

Thanks,

7. netpost

netpost

@AndrewRH
    • This is a new product on the Asset Store, but existing owners of AVPro Movie Capture will get a discount to upgrade to the new version.
    Hi Andrew, I already sent you an email but here are my questions:

1-What is the discount to upgrade? My account shows that I still have to shed $75 for an asset I just bought 7 months ago....:confused:

2-I read that V4 is a complete rewrite but can you be a bit more specific as what are the new features and add-ons to V4?

3-Will you still support version 3?

Thanks for shedding the light on this.

8. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

We deprecated version 3, which means it will no longer be updated - no new versions. All development effort has moved to version 4. We supported version 3 with free upgrades for the last 6 years, so it was time to move on.

Version 4 is a new product as it now has 3 editions - Full, Windows and macOS. The editors for one platform are now $149, so we made a discount for existing customers to upgrade to it at 50% off, which is around $75. Sadly the Asset Store doesn't let us set different upgrade costs depending on how recently users bought the asset.

I hope that explains the situation. Unfortunately when we do a new version like this, there are always going to be some customers that are left without future updates. We hoped that the 50% upgrade discount would help.

To answer your questions:

1) There is a 50% discount to upgrade, so the price is $75

2) V4 isn't too different on the Windows front, at least not yet. The main feature is the macOS support, which is very very good. We will continue to add all features to this version, so Windows will improve soon with features like more codecs, exposed codec options and more audio recording options. For the detailed list of changes you can see the post above here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-avpro-movie-capture.120717/page-18#post-4855619

3) We will no longer support version 3

Thanks,

9. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

You don't have to buy the new version - you still have access to the version you bought - it's your choice whether you want the new features or not. We supported this product with free upgrades for over 6 years, and we offer 50% discount for existing owners, so I think we have tried to be very fair.

10. departement

departement

Hi... did you get a chance to look into this?
    Thank you.

11. ioesten

ioesten

Hi Renderheads,
    we want to use this for taking very large numbers (100rds to 1000nds) of 360 images inside 3d models, but would like JPG, ideally with alpha channel formats, so would like to save the conversion step from png with alpha to jpg. Are there any plans to support jpg (with alpha channel)?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. ioesten

ioesten

Ignore the alpha, but jpg support for stills would still be great - any plans?

13. ioesten

ioesten

Hi AndrewRH,
    Using Unity2019.1.8f1, the x86_64 version with GeForce GTX 1080 and now your package to take our 360 images inside a large 3d model. We see the artefacts in some images, see attached. We get about 10 in 800 images showing this, but not the same images on subsequent runs, so an intermittent issue not related to the subject matter. Forcing gpu flushing makes the problem worse, more images affected.
    We have seen the same issue when taking the images the Unity rendertocubemap to equidirect method, which is why we bought this package. It is slightly less frequent with than before.
    We cannot figure out the cause of these milky vertical stripes, always on either one the planes as illustrated in attached, never front, back, top or bottom. Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

That's weird! And some subsequent frames will be fine, so it just happens randomly?
    Perhaps you could email us a copy of your scene?

15. ioesten

ioesten

Yes, subsequent frames are fine, seemingly totally random. Not sure i can send the scene easily, it is a huge 3D model, very expensive IP, licensed. Will check with management.

16. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks... also have you tried to make the capture on another PC? I just wonder if it's a PC specific issue.

Thanks,

17. ioesten

ioesten

Thank you, good idea, we will try that. Management does not want share scene, as we've seen the same with the original method, so definitely not and AVProCapture issue.

18. Alex_Zurich

Alex_Zurich

From the roadmap plan in documentation:
    ○ Enumeration of MF codec parameters
    ○ Capture only a region of the screen/texture

-->> this is exactly the features we need today with your plug in! (we brought version 3 and 4 of course)

We love your plug-in but we need to have access to the Media Foundation encoder parameters because we want to control the file size.

Using the x264vfw encorder is a nightmare, we have bitrate control BUT the files are not playing good on Chrome natively, only working with VLC.
    With MF H264, no problem, it plays everywhere properly.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  19. NathanRH

NathanRH

Yes! Those codec parameter controls are coming!

x264vfw isn't that bad.....you should have to use the correct settings though, otherwise it doesn't work correctly. Also our usage of it can only produce AVI files which many players don't like especially when they contain H.264. We have a section in the PDF documentation about how to set up x264vfw for the most stable case.

But yes, ultimately we want to expose the encoding parameters in Media Foundation.

Thanks,

20. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.0.1 has just been released!

• Full edition (iOS, macOS and Windows editions included)
    • iOS edition (pending Asset Store review process)
    • macOS edition
    • Windows edition
    The trial version can be downloaded from our website:
    Changes include:

Improvements
    • iOS support!
      • New platform plugin, rock solid, written from scratch
      • Highly optimised and lightweight for professional use
      • Hardware accelerated video encoding
      • Supports H.264 and HEVC in MP4, M4V and MOV containers
      • Supports the Metal graphics API
      • Unity 2017 - 2019 supported Bug fixes
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed a compiler warning in Unity 2019.2 related use of deprecated AudioSpeakerMode.Raw enum

21. dawnr23

dawnr23

hi.
    I have purchased and used the program.
    But I have some problems.
    The recorded video slows down or speeds up.
    Is there a way around this?

22. citron8000

citron8000

Hello there,

I would like to know if this is possible to switch to microphone 1, microphone 2 and Unity Audio during a recording. We would like to record from Unity Audio most of the time, then when microphone 1 is "activated" (when an event is triggered from the user side), record it (and only this device), then if microphone 2 is "activated", record this one. We would just need to have a function to switch from one audio to another.

Is it possible to do currently? If not, is it possible to discuss and hire you for custom work to make this happen?

Thank you

23. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Hey there... I'm evaluating AVPro Movie Capture for a project with the trial. I'm finding that some of my scene elements show up very dark (basically black) in the outputted video. The project is in Linear color space and I see on the description of the asset that Linear and Gamma are both supported, but I didn't see anywhere in the inspector to specify it so I assumed it would automatically use the correct settings for that.

I'm using the CaptureFromTexture component. My scene gets rendered to a RenderTexture so I'm giving it a reference directly to the RenderTexture on the camera.

Anything else I should look into? The project is for iOS, but I tested capturing in the editor and on the device and the output looks the same in both cases.

EDIT: I tried switching the project to Gamma and the video output from the Editor looked the same as the game view, so it seems like this is an issue of Linear color space. I need to stay in Linear color space for this project though, so please advise if there is anything I need to do to make sure it captures properly in Linear color space. Thanks!

By the way, this is Unity version 2019.2

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  24. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Also tried setting it up with CaptureFromScreen, but that didn't work... I ended up with what looked like something sampling at 0,0 for the whole screen (one solid color, changing very slightly frame to frame). For performance issues alone, I would really like to stick with using CaptureFromTexture.

FYI, the color format I'm using for the render texture is R16G16B16A16_SFLOAT, but I also tried the 32 bit variant and it produced the same result.

25. landonunitydevelopment

landonunitydevelopment

Hi,

I bought AVPro movie capture today for its offline render support. Unfortunatley it hasnt worked yet. I want to record using unity's latest ray tracing features, so im using 2019.3, HDRP, DX12 on windows. no matter what resolution, type of video/format I get the following.

[AVProMovieCapture] Failed to create recorder
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProMovieCapture.CaptureBase:prepareCapture() (at Assets/Plugins/RenderHeads/AVProMovieCapture/Runtime/Scripts/Internal/CaptureBase.cs:1146)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProMovieCapture.CaptureFromCamera360:prepareCapture() (at Assets/Plugins/RenderHeads/AVProMovieCapture/Runtime/Scripts/Components/CaptureFromCamera360.cs:684)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProMovieCapture.CaptureBase:StartCapture() (at Assets/Plugins/RenderHeads/AVProMovieCapture/Runtime/Scripts/Internal/CaptureBase.cs:1232)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProMovieCapture.CaptureBase:Start() (at Assets/Plugins/RenderHeads/AVProMovieCapture/Runtime/Scripts/Internal/CaptureBase.cs:437)
    RenderHeads.Media.AVProMovieCapture.CaptureFromCamera360:Start() (at Assets/Plugins/RenderHeads/AVProMovieCapture/Runtime/Scripts/Components/CaptureFromCamera360.cs:722)

The issue seems to be DX12, after reverting back to DX11 it works. Any plan to support? DX12 is needed for ray tracing which is pretty hot right now.

One other issue after switching back to DX11, if i choose an 8K texture size i get the above error again

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  26. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

2 weeks without a reply on the support thread isn't making a very strong case for a $249 plugin...

27. bhtruong93

bhtruong93

While recording the scene we would like to play a video that would have audio. Any way to ignore the audio from the video? An example of a video would be an ad that plays while recording happens in the background

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  28. Jaewon-Yoo

Jaewon-Yoo

Hello, I want stream my video with AVPro Movie Capture.
    Capture 360 video at AVPro Movie Capture (Windows Client)
    and stream at Other Android Client (Cardboard or Gear VR)

How can I do this? Do you have something tutorial?
    I found about named pipe with AVProMovieCapture - UserManual, but It dosen't work.
    I want detail tutorial.

29. dawnr23

dawnr23

hi.
    I have purchased and used the program.
    But I have some problems.
    The recorded video slows down or speeds up.
    Is there a way around this?

30. dbillings_thehalseygroupllc

dbillings_thehalseygroupllc

Hello, We have a complex scene that we would like to render out with your plugin, after using it we have come to the discovery that the Offline render mode does not accurately render out at the desired frame rate.

We are using Unity's timeline to animate our scenes and it appears that the Offline Render mode does not work as intended with Timeline. ex, captured frames do not match the frames that have already passed in Timeline, in our scene 1300 frames had already passed according to Timeline while AVPro said only 400 had passed/been processed. This resulted in a 3x sped up avi file.

Are there any ways to make sure that the AVPro frame counter is 1:1 with Timeline?

Ste-RH likes this.
  31. MorrisRH

MorrisRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 4.0.2 has just been released!

• Full edition (iOS, macOS and Windows editions included)
    • iOS edition (pending Asset Store review process)
    • macOS edition
    • Windows edition
    The trial version can be downloaded from our website:
    Changes include:

Bug fixes
    • Fixed support for MF H.264 with Windows 7

32. citron8000

citron8000

I have purchased the software and it's working well.

Just like Jaewon-Yoo, I would like to capture the video on a Windows machine and stream the content somewhere else. Is it possible?

33. vertexx

vertexx

Just one question..
    Is it possible to record the Unity Scene view window?
    Easy to record the Game view window but I cannot fathom on how to record the Scene window.
    Is it indeed possible?
    And I also have purchased the asset called "Full Screen Editor" which allows a quick click to full screen the unity windows.
    Again this works well along with AVPro on the Game window . It will record the Game window full screen
    Not sure how to capture the Scene window though. When the Scene window is full screen, Avpro still records the Game window.
    Thanks.

34. fingersbleeding

fingersbleeding

Is sound recording on Windows now possible to MP4? In version 3, you can only realtime capture video and audio to large AVI files, and we had to work around this with external post-processing to convert the AVI to MP4 via FFMPEG.

35. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

You can only capture audio whilst real-time capturing. This can be done as h264 in an mp4 container. Depending on how you are capturing, these screen shots should hopefully help you with set-up.

upload_2019-12-4_10-31-1.png

upload_2019-12-4_10-32-24.png

upload_2019-12-4_10-33-10.png

Attached Files:

36. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

Whilst there is no built-in end-to-end feature to do this, I know of other developers that have successfully achieved what you require.

You can use AVPro Movie Capture and AVPro Video in conjunction with ffmpeg to create the video stream.

In AVPro Movie Capture you can set the 'Output Type' to 'Named Pipe' instead of a 'Video File'. You can then use ffmpeg to read from this named pipe and create a video stream (eg HLS). AVPro Video can then be used to connect to this stream and render it on screen. We offer a free watermarked version of AVPro Video should you not own a licenses and wish to try it (http://downloads.renderheads.com/2019/UnityPlugin-AVProVideo-Latest-Trial.unitypackage)

Do let us know how you get on.

37. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

Can you be more specific?

You can record in two modes, real-time and offline.

Real-time will capture only as fast as your hardware can encode/write. In this mode it is usual to see dropped frames in the captured video.

Offline will slow down your applications frame rate such that no frames are dropped in the capture.

38. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

I don't believe it is possible to change the audio source after a capture has been started. What you could do, however, is create a layer of indirection within the unity audio player and pipe through the desired microphone audio. Another approach could be to look at using the 'Unity Audio Capture' class. You might be able to isolate a number of these listeners and feed a mic source in. Or possibly take the class as a base and directly write samples from the microphones into the rolling buffer described in this class. Do let us know how you get on.

I am afraid we don't usually take on contract work around additions to our products.

39. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

Apologies for the slow response to your support request. Our core team have been away on an install recently. In addition, I would urge everyone to post support requests to the github issues board (https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues). We monitor this more, get notifications of new issues posted, and it offers better partitioning/searching.

We have a member of our team looking into the issue you are seeing and he will respond in due course.

Aaron-Meyers likes this.
  40. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

Can you not just mute the video whilst capturing?

41. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

See: https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-avpro-movie-capture.120717/page-18#post-5244446

42. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

We noticed this very issue just last week ourselves! Great find. We will certainly look to implement a catch-all automatic fix for this in a future release. But for now there is a simple fix you can integrate to fix it:

1) Drop in a new MonoBehaviour script to your GameObject that has your PlayableDirector component
    2) Add a PlayableDirector variable in the class
    3) playableDirectorIn the Update() add in the following line: thePlayableGraph.Evaluate( Time.deltaTime );
    4) Set the 'Update Method' on your PlayableDirector component to 'Manual'
    5) Timeline will now slow according to reduced frametime due to offline capture

43. Ste-RH

Ste-RH

I am afraid is is not currently possible to capture from the scene.

44. vertexx

vertexx

Thanks for your reply.

Ste-RH likes this.
  45. vertexx

vertexx

OK. Just trying AVPro with Unity 2019.2
    OH NO !!
    My AvProMovieCapture version 3.7.4 which is the latest version in "My Assets" locks up Unity with a flood of compile errors.
    I see where it is mentioned that 3.7.4 owners can update to a later version by clicking on a link.
    BUT that link takes me back to my Unity Store Assets and I'm back again at the start. ONLY 3.7.4 seems to be there to update to.
    I purchased this asset seven months ago from the Unity Asset Store.

How do I update to a version that works with 2019?

I'm using Windows10
    Unity 2017.2 works ok.

46. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

I purchased 4.0.2 from the Asset Store. I get the following message:
    "Warning: Plugin version number 4.0.2 doesn't match the expected version number 4.0.1. It looks like the plugin didn't upgrade correctly. To resolve this please restart Unity and try to upgrade the package again."

I attempted to fix that but no luck. So I then attempted a capture. I thought it was capturing but no output.

I have it set for real-time capture because I need audio. I'm not clear on how or where to set the Lagarith codec.

47. vertexx

vertexx

Hi Dan,
    I think in your case you must start a new unblemished Unity Project and then update to the new version.
    I believe some DLL won't update without this.
    But you are very lucky. In my case I cannot update! My version stays at 3.7.4. no matter how I try to upgrade.

48. vertexx

vertexx

Fixed!!
    Many thanks to the folk at Renderheads for solving my problem!
    Appreciate the quick reply and the fix.
    Thanks to Morris Butler.
    Cheers.

Ste-RH likes this.
  49. RakNet

RakNet

Is AVProMovie capture using the capture framerate feature?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/TimeFrameManagement.html

My game doesn't always run at 60 FPS, but I'd like to record it at a framerate I know it can consistently handle, such as 15 FPS, then speed up the video so the promotional video doesn't show hitching or bad framerates, even if the game itself has them.

50. Lordmin

Lordmin

I am using AVPro Movie Capture (Windows).

I want to adjust 'Bitrate' to reduce capacity.
    How can I reduce 'Bitrate'?