Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] AVPro Movie Capture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Jan 24, 2012.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

We don't officially support recording two audio sources at once (eg microphone + unity audio). You might be able to get it to work in a hacky way if your sound card supports it. Here is the method from our FAQ:

How do I record in-game audio and microphone audio at the same time?

Currently this plugin only supports recording audio from a single Windows audio device. There is a “trick” you can use though. In Windows 7 (and perhaps Vista) you may be able to set your microphone to play through the speakers by going to:

Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording -> Select your microphone -> right click -> Properties -> Listen -> check "Listen to this device".

You should then hear your microphone recording through your speakers. It’s recommended to use headphones during recording to prevent feedback from the speakers into the microphone.

You then need to enable the "Stereo Mix" recording device (it may be hidden by default), and this is the microphone that you will record from in Unity. This virtual microphone will now contain the game audio and also the microphone audio that was set to Listen. This option is also driver specific, as not all sound drivers have a Stereo Mix recording device.

2. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 3.7.2 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store here:
    more information and documentation is available on the website.

Changes include:

Bug fixes
    • Fixed major crash bug that would sometimes happens when stopping a capture
    • Fixed a crash bug that could happen by quitting the application while a capture is running

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or to our Github Issues

Thanks,

3. Alex_Zurich

Alex_Zurich

Dear Andrew,

We did test the solution explained in the documentation to get the mp4 file with the codec x264 (so using the http://www.gdcl.co.uk/mpeg4/) and it works BUT the performance are not good.
    Without the muxer we can record a simple scene at 60fps (720p, x264, avi file) and with the muxer (mp4 extension), the video is laggy and we do not have the same performance (taking more cpu time, and that is a problem for us).
    So for the moment we are still stuck with x264 and avi file to be able to control the final size of the video file (at least MB per minute)

Any update on the media foundation codec + control on the bitrate/file size ?

Best regards,

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmmm, that is strange...Are you using the x264 settings in the documentation - eg SuperFast profile, Low Latency etc?

Bitrate control for Media Foundation is coming soon :)

Thanks,

5. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make the cubemap video where it captures all sides of the cube into a video. The manual is pretty vague and all I can achieve is the 360 which is not a cubemap video, what am I missing?

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro Movie Capture doesn't support exporting to 3:2 cubemap layout. For 360 videos we currently only support exporting to equirectangular layout. Internally we do use a cubemap texture for rendering, but this is not exported.
    This is something we hope to add in the future though :)

7. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

AVPro Movie Capture version 3.7.4 has just been released!

You can find the updated version on the Asset Store here:
    more information and documentation is available on the website.

Changes include:

Bug fixes
    • Fixed rare crash bug reported on Intel HD Graphics 620
    • Added back previously removed call to Stop()

Thanks to everyone that reported bugs that were fixed in this release :)

Please report any issues here on the forum, or to our Github Issues

Thanks,

8. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

I have a situation here. My AVpro Movie Capture (AMC) could successfully capture video by using uncompressed AVI file. Nevertheless, when I set the Codec to Media Foundation H.264 (with amended file extension to MP4), the mp4 file is created with 0 KB file size. Video files I mentioned above were captured through Unity AMC Movie Capture Window. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

9. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hmm, that sounds strange. Did you try without audio capture? Perhaps that's causing a problem...
    Also, which version of the plugin are you using? Please try with the latest version.

Also, which operating system are you using?

Thanks,

10. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Thank you, Andrew. Since I don't need audio from the video, therefore I have not turned on the audio capture at all. I am using version 3.7.2 of AVpro Movie Capture. I am using Windows 10 Pro for the video capture.

11. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

For your reference, here is the config of my computer. I am using a laptop which using i7 cpu and GTX 980M.

12. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

For your reference (cont.) screen capture of the capture window. Thx. About.png Capture.png Output.png Visual.png Audio.png

13. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

14. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Thank you for the reply. There is no error on the console window. I kept watching the change of file size of the capture video file. It showed no content within the file.

Ok I will update it now.

15. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Also try updating your GPU drivers, and make sure Geforce Experience isn't installed (we've seen it causing problems sometimes).

Thanks,

16. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Thx Andrew. I will update it after replied to you. From my guessing, if the problem was caused by the GPU driver, the real-time capture should be failed. The fact is, video capture can be successfully done only when I was not using offline render. file.png

17. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Oh! Now that's an interesting clue....

Are you able to do offline render when using another codec (not MF H.264)?

Also I noticed you're using the motion blur option - does it make any difference if that is disabled?

Also, which version of Unity are you using?

I'm sure we'll be able to solve this mystery soon.

Thanks,

18. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

After the GPU driver has been updated, the video capture file can be successfully created. Sometimes works on real-time render and sometimes works on both real-time and offline render. Other than that, there is a picture quality issue found in the video. The issue will be stated more clearly in the third paragraph.

For your reference, I'm using Unity 2019.1.5f1 (HDRP) for the video capture and some of post-process(es) are applied to the scene. During the video capture, I did not turn on the motion blur and AA.

Now, let's talk about the video issue. Here are two sets of pictures to compare Unity game view and the video captured by AVpro. The video image has some obvious "delayed ghost image" overlayed on it.

(*Since the forum allows only five of my images, therefore I will make several posts to put all related images for your reference. Sorry)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Cont.

Attached Files:

20. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Cont.

Attached Files:

21. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Last part of the posts.

According to your question, yes, with version 3.7.4, I could capture video through codec other than MP4. Similarly, the "Delayed ghost image" happened on all video footages that are captured with all listed codec.

To clearly explain the situation, here is a video (shoot with a mobile phone) recorded the whole process. When you hear a mouse click sound from the video, it meant I started the video capture(through AMC). During the video recording, there were 2-3 times toggle on and off of the process of video capture through AMC. The "delayed ghost image" is quite obvious.

The link of the video. Thx.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rbpq-WB-ryulkE-Mv95rjTMyz8XjTw5T

Attached Files:

22. beelyho_unity

beelyho_unity

Dear Andrew,

I found that, if I turn off the AA option of the camera which used for video capture, the "delayed ghost image" could be reduced to an acceptable level. I

23. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Thanks for all of the details. I'm glad it's working now :)

That ghosting is strange - is there any chance you could send over your project to us so that we can debug this issue?

Thanks,

24. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi Everyone,

Quick teaser announcement: AVPro Movie Capture with macOS support is coming SOON!

It's currently in alpha and already supports all of the features that the existing version supports, but also more many more codecs and hardware encoding!

We'll be releasing a beta version here for you to test in the coming days :)

Thanks,

25. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

upload_2019-6-26_21-13-46.png

Announcing: AVPro Movie Capture for macOS (ALPHA version)

DOWNLOAD HERE

The macOS version has the same features as the Windows version, but also support for more video and image codecs (MP4/MOV, H.264/HEVC/ProRes, JPG/PNG/TIFF/HEIF), and GPU encoding support!

Supports Unity 5.6.x - 2017.x - 2018.x - 2019.x

We hope to bring the BETA version next, and have the plugin fully launched in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to your feedback :) Please post it on the forum here, or at the GitHub issue:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues/8

Thanks,

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  26. Alex_Zurich

Alex_Zurich

We had also a ghost image with TXAA but not with FXAA so we don't use TXAA for the moment (Unity 2018.3)

27. MisfitVillage

MisfitVillage

I'm doing a 360 stereo capture of a scene in unity 2019.1.8f1 with AVPro Movie Caputure (paid full version).
    I'm using the new postprocess stack V2 on the camera. I'm assumig AVPro movie capture does not support the new postprocess stack (I don't see any of the effects on the rendered .png image)?

How can I get AA, Auto Exposure, Color Grading. AO and Bloom to work on my final rendered images? Do I need to download the old postprocess stack from the asset store and add the effects to the "camera image effects" array or use some other technique?

28. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

360 captures are a special case, so in general we don't support post-process effects on these. This is mostly due to the fact that many of these effects are screen-space effects, which don't work when you're doing a 360 render.

This is true for the old effects as well. The effects should appear in the 360 render, but they won't be correct and will have seams where we join across cubemap renders. If the effects aren't appearing it could simply be down to how the new V2 stack needs to have the components attached to the camera and the correct layers selected. When doing 360 renders we are creating our own cameras. Yes the "camera image effects" is indeed for the old ImageEffects system, so that might improve things - but many effects will probably still not work correctly. For a normal camera render they should all work fine.

This is something we're currently looking to improve.

I've made an issue here so you can follow the progress and post comments:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues/9

Thanks,

29. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Ahh, that's probably because TXAA uses buffers for storing frame progression information, and since we're changing cameras this information won't be valid. We can look into improving this. Here is the issue:
    https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlugin-AVProMovieCapture/issues/10

Thanks,

30. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi All,

In a few days time we will be announcing (and releasing) a new major version of AVPro Movie Capture.

macOS support is the big new feature, and I think you will be impressed at how well it works.

Thanks,

31. departement

departement

Hi,

We are about to start working on the 360 capture of a VR project we did.
    I just tried the "Camera360CaptureDemo" scene, with the color space set to 'linear' and I get the following output.

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Attached Files:

32. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Which version of Unity are you using?
    We noticed that some versions of Unity are having issues with this.

33. departement

departement

Unity 2018.2.6f1

34. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yeah, we don't know why, but that version of Unity has this issue.
    If you upgrade to Unity 2018.3.7 (that's the version I tested, others may work too), then it should be resolved.

Thanks,

35. departement

departement

Any chances that you can fix it for that version of Unity?
    Our project is quite big and almost ready to ship. We would really like not to have to upgrade Unity at that stage of the production.

Moving from 2018.2 to 2018.3 is a dangerous move - quite a lot has changed (eg. prefabs)

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  36. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

If it is just for making a capture, then you should be able to make a copy of your project and just import that copy into Unity 2018.3.x for capturing.

If you're building capturing into your software, then it is trickier. We've tried to fix this issue (another user reported it a few weeks ago) but it appears to actually be a bug with those versions of Unity :(

37. Ethan_HalseyGroup

Ethan_HalseyGroup

Hey Andrew! I have been using AVPro Movie Capture for the last 3 years and I am trying to use it with 2019.1 and HDRP. As soon as I open the AVPro Window, all of my cameras change to a solid color and I can't get the cameras to act like cameras again unless I close the window and restart Unity. Any ideas?

38. Ethan_HalseyGroup

Ethan_HalseyGroup

I was able to get it back to working by deleting CameraPath3 from the file and importing it from another project. Any reason why this happens so I can make sure I don't lose AVPro Again?

39. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

That's weird...a few questions:
    1) Which version of AVPro Movie Capture are you using?
    2) Which version of Unity 2019.1 exactly?
    3) Which version of HDRP?
    4) What solid color do they change to?

Where is this CameraPath3? which file? :)

Thanks,

40. Ethan_HalseyGroup

Ethan_HalseyGroup

Hey Andrew, I am using

2019.1.10f1.
    HDRP 5.13.0
    AVPro 3.7.4 ( I deleted what I had and reimported it today after I got the error first, and rebuilt the library)
    They change to greys and blues, not all are the same color,

CameraPath3 is under Assets, and I believe now it is a plugin to that allows me to build paths for video out of splines. I thought it was part of AVPro but it appears to maybe not be? If so I have a noob question of how do you normally set up the paths for your camera animations?

41. departement

departement

Yes, we did bring our project in the 2018.4.xx. The thing is that it's a big project, and for example the import has broken all our light bakes :( ... This is why switching version at this stage is far from ideal for us.

42. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

:( that is a shame..I understand.
    Is it specifically a linear 360 capture that you need?

43. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

hmm that's strange...I haven't been able to replicate that issue here...HDRP is still an experimental package so there may be bugs there. Glad you resolved it.

44. departement

departement

Yes it is. Why? I see some hope in this remark :)

45. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I'm afraid not...I will do some more testing to see if there is anything we can do, but when we looked before it really did look like those Unity versions had broken support when rendering the camera view to a texture in Linear colourspace...

46. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

AVPro Movie Capture 4.0 is now live on the Asset Store for Windows and macOS:

AVPro Movie Capture (macOS)
    AVPro Movie Capture (Windows)

We're still waiting for them to finish reviewing the combined package, at which point we'll update the trial version to 4.0

Hope that you all like the new version - the macOS support in particular is rock solid.

Alex_Zurich likes this.
  47. citron8000

citron8000

Hi, are you still in the process of updating the trial version? We would like to give it a shot and see if performance are good enough for us but the asset store page says the free version is not available anymore. Thanks.

48. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes sorry about that, we're still waiting for the Asset Store to approve the main asset. Then we'll be able to update links etc.

For now you can download the trial version here.

Thanks,

49. citron8000

citron8000

Thanks for your response. I've read the docs and learnt a bit more about how the plugin works. It looks like we're going to need to install some codecs. If we wanted to make it very easy for end-users to record our app on their own, how would you go about embedding or installing these codecs automatically for them and configuring them (for example enabling multi-threading, etc.)? Is this possible?

50. citron8000

citron8000

Another question is that we might want to use this plugin on a dedicated server. We would first record the game in a text file (transform of object, events, etc..) on the player's machine. Then we would send this file to a dedicated server and capture the screen to transform it to a video with your plugin. In this way, we can ensure high performance on the player's machine and high quality recording afterwards.

I am wondering a few things:

- is your plugin the best way to do that?
    - would we be able to capture several game at the same time (several session of Unity?)
    - if we didn't want to replay the game at 1x speed (for long session for example, who can last up to 30 minutes), is there a way to speed things up?

Thanks!