Search Unity

[RELEASED] Avatar Maker - 3D avatar from a single selfie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ledentsov, Dec 19, 2018.

1. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Thanks, I got this resolved. I will have a lot more questions moving forward as I think this asset will serve our projects needs in at least one aspect.

However, we were not happy with how the face was generated from one person in particular, so now we are considering Avatar Maker Pro as well.

As a result, I have some questions about Avatar Maker Pro, and your products in general:

1) Does Avatar Maker Pro generate a full body character, or just the head?

2) What sort of poly count is generated? A general estimate is fine.

3) What texture sizes are generated?

4) Do you think an avatar generated with Avatar Maker Pro would be compatible with Lip Sync Pro? (link here: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/lipsync-pro-32117)

5) Is it possible to generate a full body avatar with Avatar Maker Pro, and save it as a prefab for use in standard unity projects?

6) Is it possible to export generated avatars as an FBX file, and if so, with a T-pose for modeling purposes?

7) Do you guys have a website or other method of contact where someone can get support?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. ledentsov

ledentsov

No, only the head.

The avatar head contains 12789 vertices and 24479 triangles

The texture size is 2048x2048

Actually, we didn't test this plugin, so I can't give you a defined answer. Our avatars are compatible with the Salsa LipSync and Oculus Lip Sync. Here are link to the corresponding tutorials:
    https://docs.avatarsdk.com/unity-plugin/2.0.0/using_salsa_lipsinc_with_avatar_sdk.html
    https://docs.avatarsdk.com/unity-plugin/2.0.0/using_oculus_lipsync_with_avatar_sdk.html

No, Avatar Maker Pro doesn't support fullbody avatar generation.

The generated head can be exported to the FBX. But there is not T-pose for the head.

Out website: https://avatarsdk.com/
    Or you can contact our support: support@avatarsdk.com

3. YongHe

YongHe

head 2.0 Will it is updated

4. ledentsov

ledentsov

No. It will support only avatars from the "Animated Face" pipeline.

5. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi I just bought this and imported, but its not in my window menu, any ideas? There are no error messages in console.

6. ledentsov

ledentsov

Did you import it into an empty project? What Unity version do you have? No one error message?

7. radiantboy

radiantboy

Actually it crashes unity everytime I install it, i need to delete it to get unity to load again. Im on Unity 2020.1.0a12 (64-bit) so maybe I will wait until I am not on an Alpha!..

8. ledentsov

ledentsov

Could you try older Unity versions (2019 or 2018)? Just to make sure, are you on Windows platform?
    If the problem exists in the Unity 2019, please send us your project. We will try to reproduce it on our end. Email: support@avatarsdk.com

9. radiantboy

radiantboy

Windows yes, I will try older unity when I get a moment. Thanks. Hopefully it wont happen when 2020 is released.

10. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello friends!

We just released a new version of the Avatar Maker plugin (1.3.0)! Here are some new features/updates:

1. Fixed an issue with upgrading from the Free-version to the Pro. Some users experienced a problem when they imported the Pro version of the plugin to the project with the Free version but it still worked as the Free (avatars generation is limited, no export features).
    No there should not be such problems. You just have to import Pro-version into your project and restart the Unity.
    But if by some reasons the Pro version doesn't work (that is most unlikely), you can do the following:
    • Delete the "itseez3d" directory with its content from the project.
    • Restart the Unity.
    • Import the Avatar Maker Pro plugin
    • Press Window -> Avatar Maker -> Reset license and resources
    2. We have added nine Levels Of Details for the Head mesh.
    upload_2019-11-21_11-54-43.png

3. The captured animation can be exported into FBX now.
    Also, you can modify the captured animation clip: to change names of blendshapes and game objects the animation will be applied to.
    upload_2019-11-21_11-59-21.png

Hope you will find these features helpful.

Regarding any issues or suggestions, you can contact us: support@avatarsdk.com

jeromeWork and radiantboy like this.
  11. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

I just tested the demo and looks AWESOME!

Quick questions.
    1. Will I be able to tamper/change the generated face texture as a file? (the demo doesn't seem to save those files in the assets. I guess due to being a demo.
    2. Will I be able to use Windows to create a moving avatar etc and then export this as an android app?

12. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Thanks for a review.

1. Pro version of the plugin (Avatar Maker Pro) allows to export the mesh and the texture. So, you can change it afterwards.
    2. Yes, you can create a prefab with avatar, import this prefab into your project that runs on other platforms, including android.

13. nosebleed_dre

nosebleed_dre

Hi

Just bought this and imported. We're using it to generate characters for use in game, so not at runtime or anything. Seems to be working fine in the editor but when we try to compile builds we get a bunch of errors. This is with build platform set to PC in a completely new project (and on an existing project with build platform set to Nintendo Switch too).

Using 2019.1.0f2

14. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Such errors occur because the Avatar Maker plugin can't be used in the standalone applications. It works only in the Editor mode. To compile your project you should delete the Avatar Maker from it.

15. domdev

domdev

I had the same issue any fix?? unity 2019.2.4f1

16. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Such errors occur because the Avatar Maker plugin can't be used in the standalone applications. It works only in the Editor mode. To compile your project you should delete the Avatar Maker from it.
    If you need to generate avatars in runtime, please, visit our site: https://avatarsdk.com/. You can find here several solutions for generating avatars.

17. domdev

domdev

Hi, I'm using this asset and it was soo cool!.. but I have problem in build size.. it was too big, I'm building it in android.. I got 5 picture make.. and after building it give 230mbs+.. and thats too big for an apk.. is there any tips to reduce it?

18. ledentsov

ledentsov

Yes. You can export an avatar with a lower level of details. Also, you can export without blendshapes, if you don't need them.

19. domdev

domdev

okay thanks, also I can pick what blendshapes I want to export?

20. ledentsov

ledentsov

There is no direct way to do it. But you can remove blendshapes from the avatar directory and after that export the avatar.
    Avatar directory location is: "c:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\LocalLow\DefaultCompany\[project_name]\avatars\[avatar_code]\blendshapes"

21. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@ledentsov Trying the asset for the first time (just bought the Pro version in the sale)

A few things would really help make this more than just a gimmick, and actually usable for game assets:
    - can the export to prefab/fbx please separate out the head and hair into two submeshes with different materials?
    - and can the textures have other maps (e.g. normal map, occlusion - even if just for the hair)?

Both of these are super important as it would allow us to replace your shaders with something more realistic. The hair just doesn't look right and the atlased, one material, combined mesh export makes it difficult to tweak.

On my wishlist, I'd also add...
    - remove the nostril shadows. They're misplaced (don't fully line up with the original nostril holes) which means that the textures always have to be fixed in photoshop.
    - allow the nose shape on the head mesh to be altered (or picked from a list) All the men have the same nose (and I assume the women will also share one nose shape) but some people have more upturned or pointy noses than others. Ability to change that shape would be great.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  22. caitlinlomax

caitlinlomax

Hey,
    I understand you guys don't provide full body avatars but do you have a tutorial or pipeline for attaching to a body other the a guy in the UMA avater maker?

23. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello jeromeWork. Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    I think we can implement in one of the next releases a separate meshes and textures for the head and the haircut.
    Regarding the other wishes (additional textures, nostrils removing, modifiable nose shape), I can't promise that these features are possible. But we will consider your opinion and make our best to implement them.

24. ledentsov

ledentsov

We have another Avatar SDK Unity plugin that can be found in our website: https://avatarsdk.com/cloud-sdk/
    This plugin allows to generate avatars in runtime application and has a sample that demostrates how the avatar can be attached to the body.
    https://docs.avatarsdk.com/unity-plugin/2.0.1/scene_03_fullbody_sample.html
    This approach has several constraints and its usage is limited, but it can be usefull in some cases.

25. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hey there. Just wondering if you are still planning on integrating support for Female avatars into the UMA version? Last time I checked it seemed like you guys were shooting for an October / November release but that feature doesn't seem to have made it into the UMA version. Is this still something you guys are planning on integrating? Would help to know so I can manage some expectations. Thanks.

26. ledentsov

ledentsov

An update of the Avatar Maker UMA plugin is on a pause now. So I can't give you any estimations when the female body will be available.
    Sorry about this and thank you for comprehension.

27. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

I cannot seem to effect the "Avatar 12/12/19 09:49:10" and its sub-objects with lights.
    Is there some internal setting you are making that is preventing this?

28. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

I have determined it is the shader.
    Is there something that I can do so I can get past this and get he effect of lighting on this head model??

29. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Change the shader. Make a normal standard material and use the texture in the albedo

30. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

Hey thanks.
    I will look into creating a shader, but where do you find the face texture they are generating?

31. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

Oh, got it. Thanks!!
    Still would like to find the face map/bitmap though.

32. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

If you have the Pro version export to prefab, then on the material, just click on the texture slot. That will show it in your hierarchy.

If you don't have the pro version, you can change the shader used by the default material (AvatarUnlitShader) Just click on the Shader option and swap it (see: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Materials.html)

diggerjohn likes this.
  33. diggerjohn

diggerjohn

SWEET! Thanks!!

34. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Thanks. Could you clarify what you mean by on pause? Does this mean it will not be updated, or that it will be updated at a later date?

35. ledentsov

ledentsov

It should be updated later. But we have not any specific date of its release.

36. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! We are incredibly humbled to have Avatar Maker plugin included in the Unity Awards 2019 for the "Best artistic tool" category! If you like Avatar Maker, please vote for us https://awards.unity.com/#best-artistic-tool! Thanks!

pccross likes this.
  37. 3CHO12

3CHO12

Hi there, this makes heads from pictures just great. I do have a problem trying to capture animation. It’s very jittery and the mouth gaps during motion and lips won’t purse enough to make “W” position. I am using a laptop cam. Is there a recommend type or minimum cam spec? I see it works perfectly in your demo video so I guess it’s my gear. Thanks

38. immujtaba20

immujtaba20

Hello. I want to make a application in which user input his picture and i will mask that to the model using UMA 2 and Avatar maker UMA.
    So my question is that how can i use these framework to run in application and user get the both Model with his Face Masked!
    Picture will be input by END-USER!
    Can you guide me?

39. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! We suggest to perform motion capture during the bright light. For better results, the video frames shouldn't contain noise and blurriness.

3CHO12 likes this.
  40. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Could you clarify what do you mean by the "will mask that to the model". I just would like to make sure that I correctly understand you. Does it means that you need to get the head of the UMA character resembled to the person on the photo? If so, Avatar Maker UMA allows to generate such heads, but it works only in the Unity Editor mode in the Windows platform. It doesn't able to generate the heads in standalone applications.

41. Robson_Medeiros

Robson_Medeiros

Oá!
    Gostaria de orientação...
    Como faço para que a textura do rosto receba sombra sem que a animação do rosto pareça papel amaçado???
    preciso saber disso com urgência... outra coisa, creio que seria trocarem as keys de movimento do rosto para ossos.

42. nomax5

nomax5

Presumably if you have no intention to create female versions in the near future I am eligible
    for a refund on my purchase?
    Your rough estimate over 6 months ago was a few months, now you are saying “Paused”
    I purchased this asset on the understanding you were producing a Female version.
    Without the female version the asset is of no use to me at all.

43. Robson_Medeiros

Robson_Medeiros

Oá! O seguinte problema ocorre.

Observando a imagem 1: Troquei o material da cabeça criada pelo Avatar Maker Pro para o padrão e o resultado das expressões faciais é um papel acumulado e perca a qualidade total em uma cena.

Observando a imagem 2: A cabeça criada pelo Avatar Maker Pro não recebe sombras e no meio da escuridão a cabeça parece uma lâmpada e não recebe profundidade de foco pelo cinemachine.

Gostaria muito de usar o Avatar Maker Pro no meu jogo, qual a solução para expressões faciais que não afetam a textura e a cabeça criada recebe sombra e foco ????

acho que o Avatar Maker Pro é genial, mas é triste que você tenha esses problemas.

Attached Files:

44. ledentsov

ledentsov

Could you contact our support (support@avatarsdk.com) regarding the refund?

45. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Perhaps, I didn't completely understand you issues. But I will try to answer.
    1. To eliminate such artifcats you need to change the Import Settings of the FBX file with avatar.
    Normals Mode should be set to "Unweighted".
    upload_2020-1-8_11-8-29.png

2. Avatar Maker Pro provides only unlit shaders for the head and haircuts. To support shadows you should you some other shader that works with lighting.

46. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hi there. Wondering if you could tell me if Avatar Maker Pro would be compatible with Lip Sync Pro?

47. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! We didn't test this LipSync plugin. It should be compatible if the Lip Sync Pro allows to configure blendshapes or its names.

48. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

I'm fairly certain it does. Do your blend shapes include mouth positions that would be compatible with phonemes? For instance, the shape a mouth makes for an O sound, tongue movements that are made for an L sound, mouth shape for E sound, etc?

49. ledentsov

ledentsov

We have blendshapes that are compatible with the Oculus LipSync. They are: AA, CH, EE, IH, OH, OU, TH, dd, ff, kk, nn, pp, rr, si.

50. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

So it works now?