Search Unity

[RELEASED] Avatar Maker - 3D avatar from a single selfie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ledentsov, Dec 19, 2018.

1. StatPhantom

StatPhantom

is there a way to change what version of FBX it uses to export? I am trying to integrate it into iclone using 3DXchange but it requires and FBX with blendshapes to require the use of FBX 2011 only.
    Or is there another way to import a model with the blendshapes into iclone?

2. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! We are using FBX SDK 2018.1.1. Actually, we have never tried to import the model into iclone and can't give you any recommendations regarding it.

3. StatPhantom

StatPhantom

Thanks for the quick reply I saw somewhere that you have live face tracking inbuilt somewhere however I can't find it, what do you have in this area

4. ledentsov

ledentsov

We have a video tutorial of how you can use the face tracking:

5. StatPhantom

StatPhantom

I have seen that video but I don't have any of the options shown. Under 'Window' I have 'Itseez3D Avatar SDK' with the options of 'Check for Updates', 'Authentication', or 'Documentation' and that's it. no where can I find something similar to the options shown.

6. ledentsov

ledentsov

It is not the Avatar Maker plugin. Looks like you are using Avatar SDK Unity plugin that is available on our web site https://avatarsdk.com. Avatar SDK Unity plugin doesn't have the Motion Capture functionality.

7. StatPhantom

StatPhantom

OK that makes more sense lol. I have managed to import an avatar animations and all into iclone via first importing it into maya, then exporting with FBX 2011, then importing into 3DXchange then connecting it to iClone then importing from 3DXchange into iclone...... That's an adventure lol.

8. YongHe

YongHe

UMA integration When to release

9. DayRayne

DayRayne

Is there a way to export a head to fbx with motion captured animations?

10. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Sorry for a late reponse. There is no such way in the current version. I think we can implement it in the feature releases.

11. LittleShnook

LittleShnook

Hey hey, bought the pro version about a week ago and love everything about it. I especially love the facial motion capture, which brings me to my question: Is there a way to use this motion capture with other heads that have the same kinds of shape-keys? I have Daz3D Characters into Unity with all the same facial blend-shapes that the face-capture system captures, albeit with different names. Do you know how i could set it up so that I can use the Daz models with the motion capture? I really really hope this is possible, because the face-capture quality is fantastic. Thank you for such a fantastic tool, I love it.

12. ledentsov

ledentsov

Thank for a good feedback!
    I think you can create AnimationClip files by means of the Avatar Maker plugin and apply these animation to the Daz3D character, if it has the same blendshapes.

LittleShnook likes this.
  13. LittleShnook

LittleShnook

Whoa what a fast response :eek: So as long as they have the same names, the animation files will read em, huh? Hmm... guess I can use MorphMixer to edit the Daz keys so they're as close to the original blendshape's properties as possible, rename them correctly, and give it a shot applying some facecap anims. I'll report back with the results. Thanks a bunch!

14. LittleShnook

LittleShnook

Ahh.. it didn't quite go as planned. It seems that when Avatar Maker renders the animation, it names all the Blendshapes beginning with ItSeez3DHead , which of course my mesh won't recognize. So I need during animation-export to change the beginning of the blendshapes tag from ItSeez3DHead : to Genesis3Female.Shape : .. Do you know where in a script I'd be able to change that?

15. ledentsov

ledentsov

I forgot about its naming. This script is unavailable for modification. So, to apply animations the following conditions should be met: GameObject that contains SkinnedMeshRenderer must be named "itSeez3D Head" and SkinnedMeshRenderer should have the same blendshapes names as it in the avatar mesh. I agree that it is a little bit inconvenient. We will try to get rid of such naming restriction in the future releases.

16. LittleShnook

LittleShnook

Oh my goodness, I'm such a dolt! I actually did what you just recommended before seeing you suggest it, but it didn't work as I had stupidly renamed the GameObject "ItSeez3D Head" instead of "itSeez3D Head" with the lowercase i. I just saw that error now thanks to you pointing out the proper name, and voila!

The animation was applied PERFECTLY to the Daz model. I'm stunned. This is such a game-changer that my head is spinning... It looks so good and my mind is swimming with the possibilities I now have. Seriously, thank you.

It blows my mind that this was only $50. You guys are awesome.

PS : Oh, and the method, all said and done, is not inconvenient at all. The blendshape names you have are good names, and using Morphmixer it's easy to create templates of the necessary blendshapes from other characters, and then it's simply a matter of changing their names. For only an hour or so's worth of time, the results are beyond worth it.

Edit: I actually have noticed that for it to work, the GameObject has to be named itSeez3D Head, and the mesh needs to be named ItSeez3D Head. If the capitalization isn't right on each of them (each being different), then the animation won't be read. A quirk on which all rests.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  17. lloydhuang

lloydhuang

hello, i got an email in June.19, which said:
    "Dear lloydhuang5360538, today we want to tell you about the latest updates to Avatar SDK that include sharper Head 1.2 avatars and a beta of Head 2.0 that can be combined with full body models! Here are all the details......."

and i just bought the avatar sdk yesterday, and i dont find the full body things~~ where is it?

18. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello. This email also says: "The beta of Head 2.0 is already released to the cloud".
    We have several avatar generation pipelines available via our Cloud API (https://avatarsdk.com/cloud-sdk/). Here is a screenshots that demostrates differences in these pipelines:

Avatar Maker Unity plugin uses onle animated_face pipeline.

Head 2.0 that can be combined with full body models! - it means that the topology of the Head 2.0 avatars doesn't change from model to model. So if you attach a single avatar to any body model, the other avatars can be attached the same way. We don't provide our fullbody avatars yet.

19. lloydhuang

lloydhuang

so emmm... i still dont understand what head 2.0 dose.
    say, All i need is a full body with my face model on it, with connected topology. Is head 2.0 able to do this now/ in the future?
    this is what i hope:
    a common naked-human body will be ok, dont need to be my real body.
    the body better with blend shapes, like the iclone /daz/uma body adjust things.

and i read all the message in this thread, seems a lot users need this full body function.

you guys have done a great job, but without the body, the usage will be quite limit.

20. ledentsov

ledentsov

Head 2.0 it is a combination of the Face and Head pipelines. It has a two separate meshes like: the bald head like in the Face pipeline with geometry from the Head pipeline and the haircut from the Head pipeline. Also it has all hairstyles that are available for the Face pipeline.

Regardinig fullbody. We are well aware of that our users require it. So we are working in this direction. We are now just about to release integration for UMA unity plugin. Also we are going to focus on generation our own solution for fullbody avatars. But there is no any estimation for it yet.

21. lloydhuang

lloydhuang

looking forward to the fullbody release...

22. u6unity

u6unity

I am waiting to release the UMA integration.
    Please give me a report !

Jaimi likes this.
  23. BernieRoehl

BernieRoehl

UMA integration would be great! For us, that would solve the issue completely.

Jaimi likes this.
  24. BernieRoehl

BernieRoehl

One other small suggestion... can you give the option of having the eyes be separate objects? You wouldn't need to do much, just leave an opening in the face using the alpha channel so we can put eyes in the sockets. The reason for this is that we occasionally need to have our characters look in particular directions, and none of the existing tools (like Realistic Eye Movements or Rogo's Eye Controller) support that unless the eyes are separate objects. If you can actually generate the eye geometry and put it in the right place (and maybe even texture it), that would be even more awesome.

25. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello. Could you try to achive eyes movements by means of blendshapes (EyesUp, EyesDown, EyesRight, EyesLeft)? Doesn't it work for you?
    Also you could change the eyes on the avatar's texture.

26. ledentsov

ledentsov

We are glad to announce long-awaited uma integration!

There are two new plugins:
    Avatar Maker UMA - integration with UMA plugin
    UMA Avatar Maker Male Characters Pack - set of male characters for UMA plugin

Avatar Maker UMA allows generating 3D avatars from one selfie photo and attaching them to the character body from the UMA 2 plugin.

THE CURRENT VERSION WORKS ONLY WITH THE MALE CHARACTER.
    Avatar Maker UMA has its own race based on the HumanMaleHighPoly race. The difference is in the starting pose, the ears position is slightly changed. Avatar computation pipeline is the following: the new head mesh is formed by modifying vertices positions of the template head without changing bones in the skeleton, create meshes for eyes and mouth, generate head texture and body texture with the skin color closest to the skin on the photo.

The complete list of assets for each avatar is:
    - Wardrobe Recipe
    - Slots for Face, Eyes, Mouth
    - Overlays for Head and Body

The plugin is an Editor extension and can’t be used in the standalone application.

Avatar Maker UMA requires UMA 2 plugin.

Jaimi, nsdfxela and alexandershishkov like this.
  27. nomax5

nomax5

Can you give any timescale Avatar Maker UMA Female will be available?
    days weeks months years never?

ina and Teila like this.
  28. ledentsov

ledentsov

Rough estimation to add female body - few months.

ina and antoripa like this.
  29. u6unity

u6unity

Hello!

I will use the male character pack of UMA Avatar Maker immediately!

By the way, when will the women's version of UMA be released?

30. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! We have not exact estimate when the the female body will be supported. We will try to integrate it within few months. It should be an update for the Avatar Maker UMA plugin.
    Any feedback much appreciated!

31. Teila

Teila

This looks like fun!

A few questions....
    When adding the face to the UMA, the body color is changed to match, which is good. Does it overwrite any body texture you have on your uma? Or is it just a tint/color change. Can we add our own body textures to match the face later through the recipe system?

After the face is added, can we still use the DNA sliders to modify the face or is it unable to be changed. Do you remove the adjust bones when adding the head?

Is the expression package still usable with the new head/face for use with lip syncing/face animations from other assets that currently work with UMA such as salsa?

Please get the female pack out. :) I will buy both packs to play with them. I am tempted to get the male now but have had situations where the female packs never come out so will wait.

I have used UMA since its conception so looking forward to a quick way to make unique looking characters for our game. Great idea!

antoripa likes this.
  32. ledentsov

ledentsov

Thank you for feedback!

We generate new body texture. You can change this generated texture or create your own. Also you can use "shared skin color" to change the color of the skin

Yes, the sliders work for generated avatar

We have not tested expression packages. But I don't expect any problems with them. Let us know if something doesn't work.

We have a plan to release Female body as well.

33. Faizalski

Faizalski

Got a little question.
    Do i need to buy the new addons for UMA if i already have the Avatar maker PRO?

34. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! Avater Maker Pro and Avatar Maker UMA it is two different plugins with different functionality. They have nothing to do with each other.
    Avatar Maker Pro allows to generate avatar, export it to OBJ and FBX formats, create animation by using motion capture.
    Avatar Maker UMA generates head assets for UMA plugin.

35. Faizalski

Faizalski

Got it.. thanks for the clarification.

36. nomax5

nomax5

Hi Thanks for making the asset.
    I've been playing around with Avatar Maker UMA and it's fun.
    Hair beards eyes don't seem to work, I'm guessing its because you have changed the head.
    Hair appears on the neck area
    I guess it needs an attachment point / bone which its not finding.
    is there a workaround for this?
    or am I doing it wrong?

any help greatly appreciated.

Roy

fyyxgame likes this.
  37. u6unity

u6unity

Hi!
    Is it possible to use the head generated with Avater Maker Pro with Avatar Maker UMA?

38. Karol_K

Karol_K

Hi. I'm having a problem with errors on my build. It's 2018.3, Windows PC build. The only things in the scene is the avatar prefab and a sphere. These are the errors. Is there a document showing what the build setting should be? Thanks for you help!
    errors.PNG

39. alexandershishkov

alexandershishkov

Hello Roy, thank you for the feedback. We will investigate it and let you know as soon as possible. Our main developer is on vacation now, so please expect a delay.

40. alexandershishkov

alexandershishkov

Hello, thank you for reaching out!
    Unfortunately, it is impossible. We are using different topologies for these plugins. The Avatar Maker Pro uses our rig with the blendshapes, Avatar Maker UMA uses UMA rig with the bones.

41. alexandershishkov

alexandershishkov

Hello, thank you for reaching out!

Could you please send us the project or the screenshot with the project's structure to the support@avatarsdk.com?

42. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hi there. This looks like a game changer. I have some preliminary questions:

1) Am I understanding correctly that any faces generated with Avatar Maker Pro can be exported as full body UMA males? Does this mean that any clothing items that already work with the standard UMA male will also work with the prefabs Avatar Maker Pro generates?

2) Is it possible to give a rough estimate of the poly count for any given head / face that has been generated? Are they similar in poly count to the default UMA characters, and is this dependent on the photo or is there a poly limit hard coded into it?

3) Do you see this working for a modern mobile game where there is only one character on screen at a time (2 at most)? Current local testing seems to be compatible with standard UMA characters, so this ties into question 2.

4) Are there any plans to offer more hairstyles, and is there anyway to preview the ones this comes with? Could I see all of them with the free version, for instance?

**Edit to add**

5) Is this compatible with later versions of unity? After installing the free version with Unity 2019.1.9f1, it doesn't seem to work. I can see the folders and files there in the project window, but there is no "Avatar Maker" option under the window drop down at the top of the unity editor so that I can test it out. I have tried re-importing the package as well as restarting unity to no avail.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  43. alexandershishkov

alexandershishkov

Hello @DeadSeraph!

My comments are below:
    1) It is not true. We are using different topologies for these plugins. The Avatar Maker Pro uses our rig with the blendshapes, Avatar Maker UMA uses UMA rig with the bones. You can't transfer the model from Avatar Maker Pro to the UMA head. But both plugins can generate the model with only one selfie.

Any clothing items should work with the model generated by Avatar Maker UMA. A few days ago we got the support request that some modifications (like beards or eyes) don't seem to work and we are investigating it now.

2) UMA contains different LODs for the basic male and female models. Right now we are generating only the model with the maximal polygons count. We are using the same topology and the same vertices count. In common we just move the vertices.

3) It should work as usual UMA model.

4) Avatar Maker UMA doesn't include the hairstyles right now. We plan to port the hairstyles from Avatar Maker Pro for Avatar Maker UMA later.

5) Could you please send us the logs from the Unity console to support@avatarsdk.com?

44. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. I managed to get it working. It looks like it's related to the build settings? Creating a fresh project with nothing but UMA in it and Avatar Maker and setting the build to windows seemed to fix it.

Have some extra questions now that I've had time to check out the free version:

1) Does the UMA version come with all the hair styles that the pro version does?

2) Does the Pro version have UMA functionality? If not, is the goal in the future to unify these, and how will that work if I purchase one or the other?

3) Do you think I'd be able to take any prefabs generated in my windows build and just copy them over to my iOS project?

45. alexandershishkov

alexandershishkov

Hello @DeadSeraph!

My answers are below:
    1) Currently, UMA version doesn't contain any hairstyle, only a bald head. We plan to add the same hairstyles to the Avatar Maker UMA plugin later.

2) No, they are completely different. We don't plan to join these plugins in the nearest time. If you are using UMA 2 plugin and want to generate the heads compatible with the UMA bodies from the photos, you should use the Avatar Maker UMA. If you are creating NPC with your bodies you can be interested in the Avatar Maker Pro plugin, that allows to create the head with the blendshapes rig and create animations with the webcam.

3) I think it should work.

46. alect-edu

alect-edu

47. alect-edu

alect-edu

Hi, when do you plan to make UMA for woman, it is unfortunatly all useless else...

ina likes this.
  48. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

49. ledentsov

ledentsov

Hello! The haircuts and beards don't work because we only change the head geometry but we don't modify the bones positions.
    We will add the haircuts from the Avatar Maker Free/Pro plugin into the Avatar Maker UMA. They will be fit to the generated heads. Also we will try to find solution with modifying bones as well.

50. pccross

pccross

Any resolution on this error? I get the same build errors (related to namespaces) on a project that previously had none. I just imported the free evaluation version. Does the PRO version fix this?

[Unity] Assets/itseez3d/avatar_maker/scripts/AvatarInfo.cs(11,16): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'AvatarSdk' does not exist in the namespace 'ItSeez3D' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    21817: [Unity] Assets/itseez3d/avatar_maker/scripts/AvatarMakerInitializer.cs(11,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Coroutines' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    21818: [Unity] Assets/itseez3d/avatar_maker/scripts/AvatarMakerInitializer.cs(12,16): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'AvatarSdk' does not exist in the namespace 'ItSeez3D' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

21823: [Unity] Assets/itseez3d/avatar_maker/scripts/AvatarMakerInitializer.cs(43,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IAvatarProvider' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    21824: [Unity] Assets/itseez3d/avatar_maker/scripts/AvatarMakerInitializer.cs(27,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'CoroutineHandle' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    21825: [Unity] Assets/itseez3d/avatar_maker/scripts/AvatarMakerInitializer.cs(29,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IAvatarProvider' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Malvinhk likes this.