Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Unity 2022.2 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are making some changes to the DOTS forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] ATLAS - Next Gen Terrain Editor - essential tool for creating beautiful worlds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Atlas-terrain, Dec 15, 2021.

1. AmbientLion

AmbientLion

There isn't a texture assigned -- but there is an error in the console:

"needs forward slashes '/' : Assets/Atlas Terrain Editor/PaintedMasks"

Is this possibly because I'm running on a Mac, and the '/' character is a path separator on Mac? It looks like on line 1118 of Atlas.cs you're checking:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (path.Contains(Path.DirectorySeparatorChar)) {
    2.    error = "needs forward slashes '/' : " + path;
    3.    return false;
    4. }
    Which I've confirmed I'm hitting by breakpoint. This gets called from StampBaseEditor.cs @ line 96:

Code (CSharp):
    2. AtlasPainter.ApplyChange("Assets/Atlas Terrain Editor/PaintedMasks");

2. AmbientLion

AmbientLion

I'm also seeing another confusing behavior, which perhaps you can help me with ... when adding splat map rules to a stamp, if two "blend" stamps overlap, the rules combine in unexpected ways. For example, I'm trying to create a larger mountainous area by blending several mountain stamps together. But after getting the splatmap rules to look right on one stamp, and then copying them over to the others, the areas that overlap look wrong -- things like opacity and cutoff get combined in the final splat output. Any suggestions?

3. Atlas-terrain

Atlas-terrain

Aha! interesting! , yup thats it, you can comment out that check ^^ will remove this on my end as well.

4. Atlas-terrain

Atlas-terrain

You can make sure splat maps from other stamps don't leak trough by setting the first splat rule input to none.

So the first rule paints the whole stamp, the mask however still occludes the splatmap same as for the heightmap.

The mask acts as the global opacity for the whole stamp ^^.

5. EnviroArtist

EnviroArtist

Hello, a quick question. Is there a way to use Atlas and the Unity Terrain editor tools? We loose painted work when rendering with the atlas terrain renderer, and I am curious if there is a workaround so we can keep the stamps/splines...etc but paint on the terrain in addition. Thank you!

6. Atlas-terrain

Atlas-terrain

Hi EnviroArtist, Sadly the unity brushes are destructive and there is no seamless way to detect changes between edit modes.

Atlas however comes with its own brush that can also give the results youd get with unity brushes but in a non destructive way.

Heres a video tutorial about the atlas brush:

There's one other feature (not yet released but we can set you up trough PM), which can convert your existing terrain to a stamp. you can then use that stamp as your base and built on top of that.
    this method is mainly meant to continue from an existing terrain.

7. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

When working with Splines, is it possible to adjust the control points? E.g. make one bend much sharper than the other?
    Or are we supposed to be adding a lot of subdivisions?

Also; how do we add detail objects which have GPU instancing enabled? I think we can only select grass or vertexlit.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  8. Atlas-terrain

Atlas-terrain

Hi TJHeuvel-net, the spline is cubic so no bezier nodes, you can add nodes to bend the spline to your likings.

The scattering merely places objects (detail prototypes) onto the terrain as if you would have placed them using the built-in unity brushes. so Atlas is not taking over instancing, you can make them instance following the standard unity methods and/or using other packages that handle instancing on the asset store.

Hope this help, have fun ^^

9. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

https://docs.unity3d.com/2022.1/Documentation/Manual/terrain-Grass.html

Here we can see there are 4 modes, in the Atlas editor we cannot select Instancing, there are only 3 modes.

10. Atlas-terrain

Atlas-terrain

Oh i see, good to know!

Can you change the render mode trough the unity menus?
    Let us know if that works while we add to mode to the list ^^